PDA

View Full Version : Legacy Weapon- is this balanced?

Red_Death01
2013-10-07, 05:42 AM
Legacy weapons have interested me for a while now and I have never gotten the chance to play around with them. Let alone make one myself. My DM has given me permission to custom create a Legacy Weapon for one of my replacement characters "so long as I follow the rules of making one". I was hoping to get some feedback on this though as I rarely homebrew.

[B]Name:
Celestia's Sacrifice

Omen:
In Natural Daylight it gives off a faint Heavenly Glow.

Base:
Large Valorous Gloryborn Jovar [3d6, 18-20/x2, Slashing]

Final Result:
Large +5 Valorous Collision Keen Gloryborn Jovar [3d6, 15-20/x3, Slashing]
(+10 Speed Enhancement, Frenzied Charge 1/day, +5 Jump, Freedom of Movement)
(-2 Attack Bonus, -4 Fortitude Saves, -16 HP)

Wielder Requirements:
Base attack Bonus +3
Alignment: Any Good Alignment
Feat: Exotic Weapon Proficiency(Jovar)

{table=head]Level|Attack Penalty|Fort Save Penalty|HP Loss|
Abilities
5th|||

6th|
-1|||
Urgency

7th||
-1||
Angelic Charge 1/day

8th|||
2|

9th||
-2||
Weapon Enhancement (+1)

10th|||
2|
Soaring Leap

11th|||
2|
Keen

12th||||

13th|
-2|||
Divine Punishment

14th|||
2|

15th||
-3||

16th||||
Collision

17th|||
2|
Protecting Freedom

18th||||

19th||||

20th||
-4|
4|
Weapon Enhancement (+5)
[/table]

Ritual Cost: Least 2,000g; Lesser 12,500g; Greater 40,000g
*The Rituals themselves I will leave up to the DM to decide- I simply need to present a Legacy Weapon.

*History I have a rough idea on the weapon- though I am not exactly an expert story teller myself. I'll convey my rough idea to my DM and he can likely come up with a better one than myself.

Urgency:
The first legacy ability of Celestia's Sacrifice is Urgency. You gain a +10 Enhancement Bonus to your Land Speed.

Angelic Charge:
At 7th level, Celestia's Sacrifice grants you the power to take one additional attack with Celestia's Sacrifice at the end of a charge. This extra attack is made at your highest attack bonus and must be made against the target of your charge. Angelic charge is usable once per day.

Weapon Enhancement:
Starting at 9th level, Celestia's Sacrifice gains a +1 Weapon Enhancement. At 11th level, it gains Keen. At 16th level, it gains Collision. At level 20 it becomes a +5 Weapon Enhancement.

Soaring Leap:
At 10th level, you feel much lighter, gaining a +5 bonus on Jump checks whenever you wield Celestia's Sacrifice.

Divine Punishment:
When you attain 13th level, the critical multiplier of Celestia's Sacrifice increases to ×3. As it begins to deal Divine Punishment against those who oppose it's wielder.

Protecting Freedom:
At 17th level, you persistently gain the benefit of a freedom of movement spell. Caster level 15th.

What I personally used to Balance:
I used a lot of Tiger Fang's abilities (from Tome of Battle pg144) along with the listed abilities in Weapons of Legacy for custom creation. The only other thing I used was Notched Spear's freedom of movement (from WoL pg125). I used a slightly edited template provided on pg 185.

Please give me some feedback as it would be much appreciated!

ddude987
2013-10-07, 11:11 PM
Looks fine. Only thing I can think of that was confusing is the weapon jumping from a +1 enhancement bonus to +5 instead of a steady increase.

Red_Death01
2013-10-09, 08:22 AM
Looks fine. Only thing I can think of that was confusing is the weapon jumping from a +1 enhancement bonus to +5 instead of a steady increase.

According to the book if it is a a +4 or +5 weapon a 3 slot Greater gives its an increase of +4. While I'll admit its sort of a sudden jump, I couldn't find anywhere else to really increase the weapon's effectiveness as ironically most of the WoL abilities didn't seem all too useful for a fighter.

Thanks though! I've shown it to my DM and he didn't seem to think the weapon was abusive so I've gotten the OK from him to use it.