PDA

View Full Version : How much is your salary?

Jon_Dahl
2013-10-07, 06:06 AM
I'm just curious. It seems that most roleplayers are either students or working in well-paid jobs, but this just my view. Let's see if I'm right.

I can say that my gross salary is 27,000 euros per year, plus approximately 1500 euros of bonuses. My salary is fairly low, but I'm ok with that.

factotum
2013-10-07, 06:39 AM
How much do I earn? Considerably more than I'm paid... :smallsmile:

Moglorosh
2013-10-07, 06:43 AM
This is the only possible answer to this question.

Jon_Dahl
2013-10-07, 06:44 AM

Should I change the thread title into "How much do you get paid?" or "How much is your salary?" ?

Spanish_Paladin
2013-10-07, 07:26 AM
My anual income is about 15000 euro (around 20000 US dollars). Not much, the only advantage of Spain are its low prices, but it is changing too... :smallfrown:

Kiero
2013-10-07, 07:35 AM
I qualify for the top 10% of tax-payers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Income_in_the_United_Kingdom#High_income), but earn less than the mean average for that band.

Of course I think all that really means is that I'm a higher-rate taxpayer.

Morgarion
2013-10-07, 07:48 AM
I don't consider myself well paid. I gross about $18,000, give or take. Now, I do work extremely part time, so I have a nice pay rate, but this isn't a living wage.

Nonetheless, I abide.

Topus
2013-10-07, 08:32 AM
Well, until the last year I had a stable job and my gross salary was around 34.000€ (the net salary is the half, as in Italy we have ton of taxes:P).
Then economic crisis crushed a lot of activities, the Tv where i worked shut down and now i'm working considerably less, but i'm trying to rebuild my former income.

Serpentine
2013-10-07, 08:35 AM
Zero.
Earlier this year I was a dole bludger on Newstart Allowance. Couldn't find work, so now I'm a student, on AusStudy.
27 years old. No work. My mum still, very very kindly, pays for my meat'n'veggies which gives me slightly more leeway in my budget. Oh yes, living the dream.

Aedilred
2013-10-07, 08:39 AM
I don't like telling anyone what my salary is - other than people who need to know, obviously, like my boss and the taxman. But any time anyone else asks, I get a powerful emotional surge of "none of your business". Even when it's my mother.

Since I'm currently between jobs, though, I have no particular compunction about giving my current net salary as nada.

Topus
2013-10-07, 08:42 AM
I don't like telling anyone what my salary is - other than people who need to know, obviously, like my boss and the taxman. But any time anyone else asks, I get a powerful emotional surge of "none of your business". Even when it's my mother.
Yes I understand your point of view, it's a questionable question.
I even don't understand why I wrote mine here :eek:

Jon_Dahl
2013-10-07, 08:45 AM
Yes I understand your point of view, it's a questionable question.
I even don't understand why I wrote mine here :eek:

Salary is a taboo, and it's fun to break taboos (unless someone gets hurt, and no one is getting hurt here).

The Rose Dragon
2013-10-07, 08:49 AM
...what is a salary? Do you eat it?

Topus
2013-10-07, 08:51 AM
Salary is a taboo, and it's fun to break taboos (unless someone gets hurt, and no one is getting hurt here).
So, probably i've been lured by the excitement of breaking taboos :D :D

Spiryt
2013-10-07, 08:58 AM
I don't like telling anyone what my salary is - other than people who need to know, obviously, like my boss and the taxman. a.

Ideally, taxman wouldn't know, for sure, but there are sanctions:smallbiggrin: sadly...

Haruki-kun
2013-10-07, 09:01 AM
Varies. Minimum wage part-time work during the semester, minimum wage part-time "we'll call you when we need you" during the summer.

Krazzman
2013-10-07, 09:15 AM
Gross around between 35 and 38 k€.
With some bonuses when working on weekends can get into this too (although it would probably be around 100€ at the end of the year...) not bad for entry level.

Erloas
2013-10-07, 09:46 AM
Well according to the map here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Household_income_in_the_United_States my area is one of the higher colors and I'm bringing the average up.

OverdrivePrime
2013-10-07, 10:10 AM
It's an interesting taboo that corporations has been able to embed into society over the last century or so. It benefits employers to make it so that employees are more willing to disclose their blood type and sexual partners than their salary information.

And it's a strong, effective taboo. Even with full awareness of it and the background of the taboo, I won't break it except to say that I'm comfortably compensated for my suit-and-tie-bound web analytics and marketing strategy work, and I fall within the upper quarter of American salary earners.

Emmerask
2013-10-07, 10:32 AM
Since I currently make another try at getting my master degree now I actually can only work 80 hours a month[2 days a week mostly] (else you get booted from university in germany^^).

Which comes down to 3200$ some months and 800$ or so when only working a couple of days that month...
overall maybe ~24000$ a year.

KuReshtin
2013-10-07, 10:50 AM
Not enough. I can barely get by on my salary in a full-time job, and a lot of months I rely on my weekend extra gig as referee for American Football to make ends meet (and more often than I like to admit, not even that helps).
And that's also not taking into consideration the extra money my parents still occasionally deposits into the account where the loan payments for my car gets taken from.

I make about £7.80/hour before taxes, which is about US$12.50/hour.

Morgarion
2013-10-07, 10:58 AM
Not enough. I can barely get by on my salary in a full-time job, and a lot of months I rely on my weekend extra gig as referee for American Football to make ends meet (and more often than I like to admit, not even that helps).
And that's also not taking into consideration the extra money my parents still occasionally deposits into the account where the loan payments for my car gets taken from.

I make about £7.80/hour before taxes, which is about US$12.50/hour.

The cost of living must be ridiculous. You make more after taxes (what is 20%?) than I do before.

Flickerdart
2013-10-07, 11:01 AM
Currently studying in the US, so in addition to making no money I get to pay absurd tuition. Yay me.

Jon_Dahl
2013-10-07, 11:12 AM
and a lot of months I rely on my weekend extra gig as referee for American Football to make ends meet (and more often than I like to admit, not even that helps).

Refereeing is a nice way to make a bit of extra money. When I was a football referee (assistant referee most of the time), I made about €100 per month. I know it's not a lot, but it's a hobby that actually pays you, and you really don't have spend that much time doing it. The mental abuse wasn't worth it, so I'm happy that I quit.

valadil
2013-10-07, 11:43 AM
High enough that I'm not comfortable posting numbers, but low enough that I'm ready to look elsewhere. It's kind of meaningless without context though. I'm supporting a wife, kid, and soon to be second kid on just my salary. I felt like I made more when they weren't in the picture yet, but I was only pulling 2/3 as much.

Castaras
2013-10-07, 11:45 AM
6000-7000 a year, which is my student loan + bursaries. More than enough for me to live off of, seeing as I don't pay tax due to being a student.

The Extinguisher
2013-10-07, 11:52 AM
I make something like $14 CAD an hour after taxes. Not crazy high, but fairly decent for what I do.

I mean, I work like 15 hours a week, so it's not much, but when I'm not in school it's enough for me to life comfortably I guess.

MrDirt
2013-10-07, 01:06 PM
$48,000 , but I just started my job.

Jon_Dahl
2013-10-07, 01:10 PM
$48,000 , but I just started my job.

http://replygif.net/i/159.gif

Brother Oni
2013-10-07, 01:22 PM

I've heard it's more of a cultural taboo. Over in the UK, your salary is nobody's business except between you, your employer and the Tax man (I dread seeing what Mr PAYE and Mr NI take off me each month), while it's apparently a point of pride in the US.

Given the root of the word, yes.

grimbold
2013-10-07, 01:32 PM
Oh yes, living the dream.

you certainly live in my dreams serps :smallwink:

if you know what i mean...

Jonzac
2013-10-07, 01:33 PM
Just looked at the UK website that was posted earlier and the top 1% of earners in the UK start at 99,747 Euros? If that's true then somehow I just became a 1% after the Euro/Dollar change, not including my house....funny I don't feel like a 1%er!

According to the same source, I'm only a top 20% in the US....which seems much more realist.

Talanic
2013-10-07, 01:39 PM
Two jobs:

Pizza delivery guy, from which I make about $13,000 to $15,000 per year, thereabouts.

Novelist, from which I make about $80 to $120 per year. Living the dream.

MrDirt
2013-10-07, 01:51 PM
I've heard it's more of a cultural taboo. Over in the UK, your salary is nobody's business except between you, your employer and the Tax man (I dread seeing what Mr PAYE and Mr NI take off me each month), while it's apparently a point of pride in the US.

I've heard that In Germany, its just a commonly discussed thing. Not as much a point of pride. It might even be rude to NOT tell someone what you make if they ask.

Willis888
2013-10-07, 01:52 PM
$900 per year.

But all my expenses are covered by the income-sharing community I'm part of. Our collective resources are reinvested in our business, all basic needs are met (food, medicine, clothing, shelter, hygiene, etc...), and we've chosen to give ourselves $75 per month to spend on whatever (video games and chocolate for example).

D&D has been used as part of homeschooling math lessons, and a homebrew LARP is used to teach subjects like history and social studies.

We're one of several members of the Federation of Egalitarian Communities:
http://thefec.org/

MrDirt
2013-10-07, 01:55 PM
$900 per year.

But all my expenses are covered by the income-sharing community I'm part of. Our collective resources are reinvested in our business, all basic needs are met (food, medicine, clothing, shelter, hygiene, etc...), and we've chosen to give ourselves $75 per month to spend on whatever (video games and chocolate for example).

D&D has been used as part of homeschooling math lessons, and a homebrew LARP is used to teach subjects like history and social studies.

We're one of several members of the Federation of Egalitarian Communities:
http://thefec.org/

How does that work? Everyones money is pooled together?

Pepz
2013-10-07, 02:01 PM
As a full-time student and part-time waiter, I'm at about 9000 euros a year. I'm barely getting by, but will soon get better when some of my debts have been paid off in December :smallbiggrin:

KuReshtin
2013-10-07, 02:02 PM
The cost of living must be ridiculous. You make more after taxes (what is 20%?) than I do before.

US$8/gallon of petrol is a huge cost for me as I tend to do a lot of driving (comparatively) for refereeing and the first 100 miles of the round trips for that is unpaid (basically pay from your game fee), so a lot of the time, I make only a few £ per game.

I admit that I have a few things that I pay for that I could cut down on to save some money each month, but I'd still struggle to break even.
Owning my own place digs into it as well, as I have to pay for any maintenance myself instead of just contacting the estate agent/letting agency.

MrDirt
2013-10-07, 02:03 PM
http://replygif.net/i/159.gif

It would be significantly better if I didn't have $1k/month of student loan payments.

2xMachina
2013-10-07, 02:09 PM
~$10k per year or <$5 per hour (full-time engineer)

Though that's not saying much if you know which country I'm in. (There are people who live on ~1/3 of that (minimum wage). I have no idea how they do it.)

Willis888
2013-10-07, 02:23 PM
How does that work? Everyones money is pooled together?

We all live on the same small farm, and run a mail-order garden seed business (mostly organic and rare/endangered heirloom varieties).

Everyone is required to find something productive to do with themselves for 42 hours per week. Things like cooking, cleaning, and child care count as labor just as much as accounting, building computers for the office, or shipping out peoples orders.

If you have a job outside the seed business (for example, one of our former members was a consultant for Google and would tele-commute to help them build a better search AI), you can keep whatever you earn so long as you also put in 42 hours per week for the community. So if you work in the seed biz for 40 hours one week, it would be expected that you'd give the community two hour's worth of salary from your outside job.

All our income from various sources does get pooled.
Decisions about how to spend it are made by consensus of everyone in the group, or a committee the group has consented to allow to make the decision.

For example, the decision "do we want to build a new office" is made by the whole group. The decision "where should the electrical sockets be placed in the new office" is delegated to the committee of people who are actively involved in the design and construction work.

"Full members" are people who have been living here for at least a year and got consensus from the current group of members to become a new addition to the group.
A full member can spend as much money as they need to for business purposes within their management niche (as the IT guy, I can buy computers if I deem it necessary), and up to $50 for random things the community needs (like pots and pans for the kitchen, or replacement toilet bowl seats) without talking about it.
Larger purchases are talked about in a community meeting, which happens twice a week, and require the consent of every member.

We've decided to give ourselves 3 weeks of vacation per year, and to cover food and transportation expenses when we want to visit our families. If someone wants more time off to take an extended vacation, they can keep track of overtime hours worked - one hour over the 42 hour per week quota earns one hour of extra vacation, and 6 hours over quota (7*6=42) is the same as one extra day.

Brother Oni
2013-10-07, 02:38 PM

There's two main taxes on your salary: income tax (which is 20% for basic rate earners) and National Insurance (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_insurance), which is sort of like Social Security.

Additionally you pay a Council Tax (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Council_Tax), which goes to your local government.

Whoracle
2013-10-07, 02:41 PM
I've heard that In Germany, its just a commonly discussed thing. Not as much a point of pride. It might even be rude to NOT tell someone what you make if they ask.

That MAY be Norway, where everyone's income is even published in the local newspapers, or so I've heard. In germany talking 'bout money is a taboo.

That being said: 36k € per year, before taxes, plus 3k as a bonus.

Emmerask
2013-10-07, 02:47 PM
Yeah in general in Germany you dont talk about it either, though its no insult to ask someone too (if you know them a bit better)^^

As for the farm that sounds nice :smallsmile:

~$10k per year or <$5 per hour (full-time engineer)

Though that's not saying much if you know which country I'm in. (There are people who live on ~1/3 of that (minimum wage). I have no idea how they do it.)

Yeah it greatly depends on the country you are in. A friend who made his internship in China had about 600€ a month but could live with it perfectly fine, meals in a restaurant being somewhere in the 3€ range at that time.

Maryring
2013-10-07, 03:00 PM
I make about 15.500£ a year in Belfast.

tomandtish
2013-10-07, 03:21 PM
In some places the taboo is cultural. In others it's occupational. My father had to sign (among other things) an agreement that he would not discuss his compensation with other employees. This was quite normal with many companies in the 70s - 90s (and still is for some).

I on the other hand am a state employee. While I won't just give mine out, if you know my full name you can Google me and find it.

Eldest
2013-10-07, 03:50 PM

That's the celery, dear.

Very much not the case here (US), that I have encountered at least. The only time I have heard it mentioned was friends convincing other friends to apply at a job.

That MAY be Norway, where everyone's income is even published in the local newspapers, or so I've heard. In germany talking 'bout money is a taboo.

I like how the mysterious location that actually talks about what they earn is shifting around so fast.

As for myself, I have a very part time job for summers and when I'm back up north, minimum wage, and nothing else. It is a sad thing.

denthor
2013-10-07, 03:54 PM
I am a full time car saleman in the Los Angeles California(car capital of the world) pity me. 80 hour work week.

Last year $26,200 United State Dollars

This year about the same

Who says I over charge

Kiero
2013-10-07, 04:53 PM

We don't call it Rip-off Britain for nothing.

Whoracle
2013-10-07, 05:02 PM
I like how the mysterious location that actually talks about what they earn is shifting around so fast.

Well, I've never lived/worked in Norway, so any knowledge I have about that is second hand. My cousin lives there and tells me that it's handled there that way, but still, I can't confirm it 100%. Maybe one of the norwegians in here cares to chip in?

For germany I CAN tell 100% that most people don't talk about money, especially the older generations. It's deeply ingrained. You "make enough" and "make do" and stuff, but you won't hear people say "I make 1400 after taxes a month". And IMHO it's wanted that way by the employers, to snuff wage competition. I like the norwegian model way better.

Couronne
2013-10-07, 05:10 PM
Not a comfortable question (partly because of the UK thing and partly because I'm a lawyer - so the crippling embarassment factor on anything to do with money is doubled, despite the cetain knowledge that I have indeed sold my soul for filthy lucre).

PhallicWarrior
2013-10-07, 05:18 PM
Still in school, so I'm only working part-time, but when I'm at what I consider my "real" job (since I can never seem to find employment on-campus for very long) I make $13/hour, essentially to baby-sit. (Sure the guy has special needs, but that doesn't change what I am.)

Morgarion
2013-10-07, 06:10 PM
Willis! Do you live at Acorn? I had it in my head when I was in high school that I was going to move there. I didn't. I wonder how things would have been different... [dream sequence]

Willis888
2013-10-07, 07:03 PM
Willis! Do you live at Acorn? I had it in my head when I was in high school that I was going to move there. I didn't. I wonder how things would have been different... [dream sequence]

Yeah. I'm kind of surprised anyone's heard of it :smallconfused:
Did you go to school nearby?

AtlanteanTroll
2013-10-07, 07:14 PM
Enough to file a W-2. Yes, I'm a student (so yes, I too fulfill the OP's stereotype).

Rockphed
2013-10-07, 07:37 PM
Just looked at the UK website that was posted earlier and the top 1% of earners in the UK start at 99,747 Euros? If that's true then somehow I just became a 1% after the Euro/Dollar change, not including my house....funny I don't feel like a 1%er!

According to the same source, I'm only a top 20% in the US....which seems much more realist.

I don't know whether to weep or congratulate you. I do know that if you are barely over that threshold, you make about what my father with a PhD and 30 years of experience made when he worked at GM. He did turn down multiple promotions because he preferred the research to the administration.

It would be significantly better if I didn't have $1k/month of student loan payments.

Yarr! Between myself and my wife we have about $500 a month in student loans, but we went to a cheap university and got some subsidization from parents.

Not a comfortable question (partly because of the UK thing and partly because I'm a lawyer - so the crippling embarassment factor on anything to do with money is doubled, despite the cetain knowledge that I have indeed sold my soul for filthy lucre).

Until you help convict an innocent man or get someone to agree to horrific terms just because you can, you have not sold your soul for filthy lucre. Also, why is the lucre always filthy? Surely someone could be encouraged to shine it.

As for my salary, I earn about 3 times minimum wage and, assuming my new job takes off, work 45 hours a week and get overtime after 40 hours. So far the job has been dead dull, but that was partially because my boss wanted to get me up to speed on the project he wants me working, and the best way to do that is to make me proofread technical documents. In other words, I proofed a document for 9 hours today.:smallyuk:

Gnome Alone
2013-10-07, 08:19 PM
employees are more willing to disclose their blood type and sexual partners than their salary information.

I'll be dead in the cold, cold ground before I tell anyone my blood type! Oh, am I positive about that! ...Oops.

Seriously, did you include that as like a control statement or something? Cuz it totally is weird that income is more taboo a topic than sexual partners, but I don't think I've ever met anyone that was all paranoid about discussing what kind of blood they have.

To answer the OP, I get paid minimum wage to shelve books at a library for 15-ish hours a week, and $30 per class to teach 6-ish chess classes a week, except during the summer. It adds up to around $8-10000 or so a year, but as a previous poster has said, context is important, so when you factor in daycare expenses for my son and all the other attendant costs of procreating, man, I really need to apply for financial aid or something.

Morgarion
2013-10-07, 08:39 PM
Yeah. I'm kind of surprised anyone's heard of it :smallconfused:
Did you go to school nearby?

Nope. I'm from Minneapolis. I just found out about it on the internet somehow. Funny, though, I knew right away from your brief description.

I guess when I was that age, I thought it would be a good way to just shut down the life I was living and start over somewhere else. Probably not the best reason to go.

Kudos to you, though. That's awesome.

Jon_Dahl
2013-10-08, 12:46 AM
Willis888's lifestyle is admirable. If more people lived like that, maybe the world would be a better place. It's a bit like those Amishes, minus religion and more modern. It's something I could consider because I don't like materialism, but I'm certain I couldn't get along with bunch of people like that.

grimbold
2013-10-08, 01:39 AM
i actually kinda want to move to acorn now...i'm definitely gunna tell my shaman about it!

on topic
I make about 240$ a year but that should go up soon as my record label starts to get bigger and more advertisers come to my blog. On the downside I actually spend all the money I make on my label...
but hey, i'm in high school and I get to put CEO on my college app, so its all good :smallbiggrin:

Triscuitable
2013-10-08, 01:51 AM
A big fat zero with a lot of free games and stuff.

This stuff ranges from t-shirts to cards to comic books to peripherals (headsets, capture cards, GPUs, etc.) to promotional codes (LoL skins), and so on. It also looks really nice on a college application or resume.

I'm balancing that with my work in IB. Not easy.

Feytalist
2013-10-08, 03:07 AM
It's always difficult to compare earnings across countries, due to the variance in cost of living and "value" placed on certain professions in different regions.

A quick search tells me I'd earn about €38 000 in Europe, which seems a bit much. I earn a whole lot less (in relative terms) over here, but only because the cost of living here is so ridiculously low.

I've also just entered a new profession, so that's entry level. (Well. I studied for 5 years for it, but still.)

Laurellien
2013-10-08, 05:11 AM
I am neither well-paid, nor a student. RP gives me some structure in the week and is a rock around which I can plan my days (along with other regular occurences outside work, but it's nice to have).

Mauve Shirt
2013-10-08, 05:19 AM
$51k a year, after taxes it's more like $46k.

I also live in an area with an infamously high cost of living.

TSGames
2013-10-08, 05:51 AM
$51k a year, after taxes it's more like $46k.

I also live in an area with an infamously high cost of living.

Ain't no party like an east coast party, 'cause an east coast party is taxed.

Seriously though, the taxes get ridiculous out here. I'm pretty sure Maryland's motto is 'The taxation state'. I didn't even know that county income tax was a thing until I lived there...

Brother Oni
2013-10-08, 06:41 AM
I'll be dead in the cold, cold ground before I tell anyone my blood type! Oh, am I positive about that! ...Oops.

Seriously, did you include that as like a control statement or something? Cuz it totally is weird that income is more taboo a topic than sexual partners, but I don't think I've ever met anyone that was all paranoid about discussing what kind of blood they have.

Depends on the culture. The Japanese tend to place a great deal of emphasis on blood type astrology (your blood type defines your personality), which has about as much accuracy as western astrology.
In the British Army, blood type is clearly printed on your body armour for obvious reasons.

My company's HR software asks for my sexual orientation, religion and ethnicity. Ethnicity is a bit borderline, but the latter two have absolutely no bearing on my work whatsoever.

I don't know about the US, but religion is something even more personal than salary to discuss.

Tyndmyr
2013-10-08, 07:10 AM

Cost of living in the EU does indeed seem significantly higher than here. Even walking through a supermarket over there tends to give a bit of sticker shock. That said, cost of living will vary wildly even within the US. New York is likely to be worryingly expensive to someone from the midwest.

I make around 100k/year.

Ain't no party like an east coast party, 'cause an east coast party is taxed.

Seriously though, the taxes get ridiculous out here. I'm pretty sure Maryland's motto is 'The taxation state'. I didn't even know that county income tax was a thing until I lived there...

Yeah, that's a factor, for sure. They do love the taxes here, but the local job market is solid enough that they can mostly get away with it.

I do agree that there is a taboo against discussing income, but given the slight anonymity of the internet, it doesn't really bother me. I do think that geeky sorts come in all income bands, though. I've been pretty much across the spectrum myself.

Raddish
2013-10-08, 08:02 AM
I live off of around £50 a week I think. Which is some amount per year. Like 2.5k maybe?

But I don't have to pay my own rent and stuff like that so that goes on things I actually need.

OverdrivePrime
2013-10-08, 08:30 AM

Heh. Gnome Alone and I share a bloodtype. Not sure why I tossed that one in - I just think it's odd that we're totally comfortable talking about our vital fluids and who we exchange fluids with, but it's gauche to discuss our income.

Chen
2013-10-08, 08:31 AM
Yeah, that's a factor, for sure. They do love the taxes here, but the local job market is solid enough that they can mostly get away with it.

From what I can see Maryland state taxes max out around ~5% for income and then possibly another ~3% in county taxes. Coming from Canada (Quebec specifically) that's laughably low. The lowest provincial tax bracket in Quebec is 16% and the highest is just a bit over 25%.

Spuddles
2013-10-08, 08:32 AM
It's an interesting taboo that corporations has been able to embed into society over the last century or so. It benefits employers to make it so that employees are more willing to disclose their blood type and sexual partners than their salary information.

And it's a strong, effective taboo. Even with full awareness of it and the background of the taboo, I won't break it except to say that I'm comfortably compensated for my suit-and-tie-bound web analytics and marketing strategy work, and I fall within the upper quarter of American salary earners.

Well, I've never lived/worked in Norway, so any knowledge I have about that is second hand. My cousin lives there and tells me that it's handled there that way, but still, I can't confirm it 100%. Maybe one of the norwegians in here cares to chip in?

For germany I CAN tell 100% that most people don't talk about money, especially the older generations. It's deeply ingrained. You "make enough" and "make do" and stuff, but you won't hear people say "I make 1400 after taxes a month". And IMHO it's wanted that way by the employers, to snuff wage competition. I like the norwegian model way better.

How would employers go about creating this culture? I've never seen any ad campaigns or PSA's regarding this. How is this conspiracy of not talking about income executed?

KuReshtin
2013-10-08, 08:57 AM
Cost of living in the EU does indeed seem significantly higher than here. Even walking through a supermarket over there tends to give a bit of sticker shock.

A big difference between the US and the EU when it comes to prices on stickers in shops is the fact that in the EU, there's a set sales tax/VAT set on the goods wherever you go in a country, and it's added to the price, so you see the total price, including tax, on the label.

Thanatos 51-50
2013-10-08, 08:57 AM
As I understand it, the federal poverty line in the United States is 20,000 USD/year.
I earn under the poverty line.

'Murica.

Chen
2013-10-08, 09:11 AM
As I understand it, the federal poverty line in the United States is 20,000 USD/year.

'Murica.

The poverty guideline for the US appears to be ~11.5k for a single person. 20k is a little more than the poverty guideline for a family of 3. There are something different called poverty thresholds, but the census site is down so I can't check what they are.

MikelaC1
2013-10-08, 09:15 AM
Also, why is the lucre always filthy? Surely someone could be encouraged to shine it.

Thats a special kind of job in itself. :smallwink:

Morgarion
2013-10-08, 09:18 AM
How would employers go about creating this culture? I've never seen any ad campaigns or PSA's regarding this. How is this conspiracy of not talking about income executed?

In the United States, a lot of employers write it into employee contracts and human resources policy. People actually have a federally protected right to discuss their compensation with their coworkers at work (it's a union thing), but a lot of companies can get away with it because most people would just rather not try and cross their employers, even if they are right.

Also, discussing one's finances is generally considered impolite and crass. Wealthy people never talk money, so it probably got emulated by the middle class under the pretenses that they had upward social mobility. Now, it's just ingrained in our habituses.

OverdrivePrime
2013-10-08, 09:21 AM

By making employees sign documents where they agree to never discuss their salary with or media. Through C-level execs telling managers that salary transparency creates unhealthy rivalries, bitterness and unhappiness among same-level peers. This has been a campaign of whispers and subtlety since before the first labor unions.

Erloas
2013-10-08, 09:55 AM
Discussing salary depends a lot on context. In the same company it really does bread discontent when you find someone else is making more then you when it seems like they are only making more because they suck up to the right people or they don't seem to be doing a whole lot of work. Discussing what someone else makes in a similar job at another company is generally not so much of an issue.

Of course where I work about 2/3 of the employees are hourly and their pay scale is negotiated and printed for everyone to see. How much someone actually makes in a year isn't disclosed but can be fairly closely estimated by looking at their overtime hours.

It is also pretty well known that what you do has a much bigger impact on what you make then how much work you actually do. I have two friends that both put in a lot more time and effort into their jobs then I do, one makes about twice what I do, the other is lucky to even make half. Of course they both have different quality of life issues, the latter just from not having much extra income, but the former is under so much stress that it is causing her all sorts of problems she either isn't aware of or is choosing to ignore.

Tyndmyr
2013-10-08, 09:06 PM
From what I can see Maryland state taxes max out around ~5% for income and then possibly another ~3% in county taxes. Coming from Canada (Quebec specifically) that's laughably low. The lowest provincial tax bracket in Quebec is 16% and the highest is just a bit over 25%.

Plus 6% state sales tax, and gas taxes and all sorts of other things. It's a composite of many smaller taxes rather than a single large tax. We also have a fairly high cost of living for other reasons, such as housing prices. A 300k townhouse in this area is a fairly reasonably priced one. A larger home, or one in a more popular area, is going to be significantly more costly.

Other areas of the country are vastly cheaper to live in...but often, those areas have a much weaker job market. Make less, spend less. Kind of a trade off.

A big difference between the US and the EU when it comes to prices on stickers in shops is the fact that in the EU, there's a set sales tax/VAT set on the goods wherever you go in a country, and it's added to the price, so you see the total price, including tax, on the label.

That's true, but even adding our sales taxes to sticker prices would mean significantly lower prices....and given that it's a global marketplace, often the same things are much more expensive there due to VAT. It's a big issue in the game industry, for instance, kickstarter campaigns have to deal with this in addition to overseas shipping in many cases. Both can be quite expensive.

Thanatos 51-50
2013-10-08, 11:06 PM
The poverty guideline for the US appears to be ~11.5k for a single person. 20k is a little more than the poverty guideline for a family of 3. There are something different called poverty thresholds, but the census site is down so I can't check what they are.

Single people? I'm a married man.
~17.5k/year, assuming an average of 40 hours/wk.
I do not get 40 hours.
I crunched the numbers a couple months ago, and it worked out to about 15.4k/year.

However, if I'm a full-time student (12 or more credit hours), I also pull down about 1.5k additional/month due to my post-9/11 GI Bill.
I am not currently a full time student because work refuses to move me to a daytime shift.

Irenaeus
2013-10-09, 03:18 AM

That being said: 36k € per year, before taxes, plus 3k as a bonus.

I live in Norway. It's certainly an awkward subject, and not really a common conversation topic, but the information is always publicly available for those who want it. Incomes should be disclosed to facilitate fair negotiations.

I earn around 60k$/45k€ a year, which is poor for somebody with a master's degree, even in the humanities. I expect this to improve significantly next year.

Jon_Dahl
2013-10-09, 05:07 AM
I earn around 60k$/45k€ a year

http://junkyardarts.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/ThinkingGradualAwesome.gif

Topus
2013-10-09, 06:51 AM
By the way gross salary is just a number, you need to know about the cost of living, taxes and public services.
For your own activity here we have really strangling taxes:
basic income tax rate: 23%
contribution for public pension: 25%
VAT: 22%
So about 70% of your profit, if you have your own activity goes away in taxes.
The same if you are employed on wage labour, you cost about twice your salary to your employer.
Would we have great public services I would be okay with it.
But we don't have.

danzibr
2013-10-09, 07:00 AM
As a grad student and a father of two, I make about $30k per year. Livin' paycheck to paycheck.

Chen
2013-10-09, 08:50 AM
Plus 6% state sales tax, and gas taxes and all sorts of other things. It's a composite of many smaller taxes rather than a single large tax. We also have a fairly high cost of living for other reasons, such as housing prices. A 300k townhouse in this area is a fairly reasonably priced one. A larger home, or one in a more popular area, is going to be significantly more costly.

Its also a matter of what we get from our taxes (like public healthcare). Still the taxes around here in Quebec are extremely high (~15% sales tax for example). Cost of living where I am is high but that's here in Montreal so that's to be expected compared to a smaller city or even the suburbs.

A better question is what I spend my income on, by percentages:

rent: 38%
local tax: 8%
transport: 9%
utilities (gas/electricity/water): 6%
phone/internet: 3%
(non-entertainment) food: 10%

Obviously, that only adds up to 74%. I do put aside some money each month. The rent percentage could easily be twice that (seriously), but I found a really good deal a year ago. It can't last forever though.

My breakdown would be something like (for me and fiancee):
Mortgage/property taxes: 33%
Transport: 4% (good public transit here)
Utilities: ~1% (cheap hydro power)
Phone/TV/Internet: 4%
Food: 10%
Miscellaneous: 10%
Student loans: 3% (just the fiancee's)

This leaves a good amount to save for retirement/general investment, though quite a bit of the recent savings will be going towards wedding costs (man weddings are expensive :P)

Logic
2013-10-09, 09:33 AM
About 50K USD gross.

I have a full time job, and a part time job (18 hours a month.) Both are in the aviation industry.

About 33% goes to taxes, and 27% of my gross pay goes to rent. But I live in a fairly wealthy part of a fairly wealthy town, so that is to be expected.

factotum
2013-10-09, 10:41 AM
VAT: 22%
So about 70% of your profit, if you have your own activity goes away in taxes.

Is VAT applied to everything in your country? In the UK, VAT is not chargeable on goods that are considered to be everyday necessities, so you don't get charged VAT on food you buy at a supermarket. You *do* get charged VAT on food you buy in a restaurant, because that's not considered essential!

Brother Oni
2013-10-09, 11:02 AM
Is VAT applied to everything in your country? In the UK, VAT is not chargeable on goods that are considered to be everyday necessities, so you don't get charged VAT on food you buy at a supermarket. You *do* get charged VAT on food you buy in a restaurant, because that's not considered essential!

Must be a British quirk that chocolate covered cakes are considered to be essential. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaffa_Cakes) :smalltongue:

Topus
2013-10-09, 11:15 AM
Vat is applied on everything. Though it varies:
4% for food necessities and books
10% for restaurants, bar, luxury food
22% everything on earth that implies a transaction.

TSGames
2013-10-09, 11:30 AM
By the way gross salary is just a number, you need to know about the cost of living, taxes and public services.

This is very true. Around the Baltimore/DC area, $100k is not a big deal and it just ensures that you aren't impoverished. Nyarlethotep help you if you live in D.C., because you need at least $40k a year to get by on a ramen diet while living in a really bad part of town.

Conversely, $40k is a pretty decent salary in most parts of the country and $100k would be very nice.

Mercenary Pen
2013-10-09, 12:00 PM
Depends on how much overtime I get, but it's rare for me to get enough hours to reach the minimum threshold at which income tax is levied here in the UK- part-time employment barely over the minimum wage is a bit of a downer.

Trasilor
2013-10-09, 12:10 PM
$78k per year

just putting that out there...

Jon_Dahl
2013-10-09, 12:27 PM
$78k per year

just putting that out there...

http://guycodeblog.mtv.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/image.jpg

I have to stop posting reaction gifs before the mods get me...

Talya
2013-10-09, 12:45 PM
Personal: between $50,000-$60,000 Cdn.
Household situation is unique. I'll leave it alone.

ItWasFutile
2013-10-09, 12:57 PM
I bring in about $100,000 a year doing sales. More or less depending on how well the industry is doing. I wouldn't say I'm rich, but I did pay cash for my house.

Topus
2013-10-09, 12:58 PM
Nyarlethotep help you if you live in D.C., because you need at least $40k a year to get by on a ramen diet while living in a really bad part of town.
While playing Fallout 3 i thought it would be nice to live in D.C.
Of course i didn't know about cost of life in Washington. What is the price for houses? Here in Verona it's about 2.800€ for square meter near the center, peaking at 4.500€ in the altstadt.

ItWasFutile
2013-10-09, 01:15 PM
While playing Fallout 3 i thought it would be nice to live in D.C.
Of course i didn't know about cost of life in Washington. What is the price for houses? Here in Verona it's about 2.800€ for square meter near the center, peaking at 4.500€ in the altstadt.

The average single family home in 2012 went for about 700,000

MrDirt
2013-10-09, 03:27 PM
Although If I keep watching youTube videos all day at work, I'll probably be making $0/yr pretty quickly.

ItWasFutile
2013-10-09, 03:31 PM
I wish I had time to mess around on youtube at work. I'm too busy

thorgrim29
2013-10-09, 03:45 PM
At my new job (starting next week, after almost 3 months unemployed I am super stoked) I will make 45k a year, which is a pretty average wage for someone in my field with very little experience. Plus I'll be staying at my parents' place for a few more months to pay off my debts, and apartments aren't too expensive around here so I'll probably be almost in the black by the time my contact ends.

Rockphed
2013-10-09, 04:36 PM
At my new job (starting next week, after almost 3 months unemployed I am super stoked) I will make 45k a year, which is a pretty average wage for someone in my field with very little experience. Plus I'll be staying at my parents' place for a few more months to pay off my debts, and apartments aren't too expensive around here so I'll probably be almost in the black by the time my contact ends.

Getting a month or 2 rent free is very nice on the bank account. Especially since most apartments want a really huge chunk of money up front compared to the monthly cost of rent. I think for the apartment I am renting starting at the end of next month we need about twice the rental value of the apartment to move in.:smallyuk:

Chessgeek
2013-10-09, 04:46 PM
$30 per class to teach 6-ish chess classes a week, except during the summer.

Chess in the schools is a good program, but it really needs to pay more.

As for the OP: I made around $3k this year from my salary, plus $600 or so from tournaments. As a high-schooler, it's not too shabby.

inexorabletruth
2013-10-10, 11:50 PM
$20K a year. :smallfrown:

Four short years ago, I was a 6 figure earner with my own business, two cars, a two story house and a baby on the way. We were evicted from our home 2 days before my son was born. I got the job I now have (at an apartment complex) by offering to work for free if they just didn't kick us out. The property manager took pity on me and hired me as soon as my drug test results came in.

I really hate this economy.

danzibr
2013-10-11, 01:18 PM
$20K a year. :smallfrown:

Four short years ago, I was a 6 figure earner with my own business, two cars, a two story house and a baby on the way. We were evicted from our home 2 days before my son was born. I got the job I now have (at an apartment complex) by offering to work for free if they just didn't kick us out. The property manager took pity on me and hired me as soon as my drug test results came in.

I really hate this economy.
Ouch :(

Sorry dude.

Crow
2013-10-11, 05:15 PM
$88k/year base salary. About $120-140k once all is said and done.

My business income is all reinvested into the business to spite the taxman.

Granted, I live in one of the highest cost of living locations in the U.S. with houses running on average $300k+ on the low end.

As to the taboo on discussing earning figures, refusing to do so only benefits employers. Employees should be encouraged to discuss such things because it gives them a good idea of what they are worth/should be getting paid. In fact, that is one of the primary reasons that websites like Glassdoor (where my employer has some very uncomplimentary reviews due to it's bureaucracy I might add) exist.

Equinox
2013-10-11, 05:51 PM
$88k/year base salary. About $120-140k once all is said and done.

My business income is all reinvested into the business to spite the taxman.

Granted, I live in one of the highest cost of living locations in the U.S. with houses running on average $300k+ on the low end.

As to the taboo on discussing earning figures, refusing to do so only benefits employers. Employees should be encouraged to discuss such things because it gives them a good idea of what they are worth/should be getting paid. In fact, that is one of the primary reasons that websites like Glassdoor (where my employer has some very uncomplimentary reviews due to it's bureaucracy I might add) exist.There's a huge difference between using Glassdoor to know where you stand with respect to industry standard, or with respect to a nondescript fellow doing a similar job to you in another company - which is good - and discussing your salary with Joe at the next desk/office/cubicle - which does too much to promote unhealthy feelings of the "this schmuck makes HOW MUCH?" variety.

Crow
2013-10-11, 06:15 PM
There's a huge difference between using Glassdoor to know where you stand with respect to industry standard, or with respect to a nondescript fellow doing a similar job to you in another company - which is good - and discussing your salary with Joe at the next desk/office/cubicle - which does too much to promote unhealthy feelings of the "this schmuck makes HOW MUCH?" variety.

Oh well, you see I would consider discussing that stuff with Joe at the next cubicle to be far more useful than what I am going to find at glassdoor, if only because it is the same company, and I know exactly what his job entails.

Screw the feelings. If Joe makes more than I do, I'm not going to change that by becoming fixated on it or getting upset. But by knowing, I head into my next interview armed with more info than I would have had otherwise, and a good base to start with when I negotiate my next salary. The feelings that you are talking about aren't foreign where I work, but that is usually the result of guys taking the first number that is offered to them. I'm not going to go around throwing my salary at everyone, but if they ask, I am going to tell them.

tomandtish
2013-10-11, 07:35 PM

As has been mentioned by some, this is an important thing to understand about the USA. Cost of living can vary wildly from state to state, and even within some states (especially some of the bigger ones).

For example, California averages about 28% above the national average in cost of living, and Texas averages about 9% below. But Austin, TX itself costs about 9% more to live in than the national average. So in some states you can be looking at 15%-20% differences within the state itself.

I assume there's some variation among the European nations among the EU, and possibly a little in the big nations themselves?

Douglas
2013-10-11, 08:30 PM
As has been mentioned by some, this is an important thing to understand about the USA. Cost of living can vary wildly from state to state, and even within some states (especially some of the bigger ones).

For example, California averages about 28% above the national average in cost of living, and Texas averages about 9% below. But Austin, TX itself costs about 9% more to live in than the national average. So in some states you can be looking at 15%-20% differences within the state itself.

I assume there's some variation among the European nations among the EU, and possibly a little in the big nations themselves?
About five months ago, I had two job offers - one located in Georgia within a 10 minute drive of where I already lived, and the other in California. The one in California was close to double the one in Georgia, but what I am now paying in rent for an apartment, which I am sharing with someone, smaller than one floor of my two-story house in Georgia is higher than my mortgage payment on a 15-year mortgage for said house.

tomandtish
2013-10-11, 09:23 PM
One of the big things we were seeing a lot of here in Texas for a while was:

Person or family from California gets new job/jobs in Texas. Sells their 1200 -1400 square foot home in California for $400,000. Move to Austin/Houston/etc. and get 3000 square foot home for $250K -$300K, so money left over for other stuff.

You have my deepest sympathies and wishes for luck. I wouldn't wade into the California housing market for anything. It's way too scary.

Douglas
2013-10-11, 11:54 PM
You have my deepest sympathies and wishes for luck. I wouldn't wade into the California housing market for anything. It's way too scary.
My employer is Google. I think it's worth it, and I actually do have plenty left over after housing costs.

factotum
2013-10-12, 03:56 AM

The variation for house prices even within a single EU country can be vaster than you're giving it credit for, I think, and that's by far the largest living expense you're likely to have. As an example, I just did a quick property search in London and a cheap one-bedroom flat in a not particularly nice area goes for £125k--that's about the same price as my three-bedroom semi-detached house in the north-west of the country! Restaurants and takeaways tend to be more expensive down there as well, so even though you can be reasonably sure your grocery and fuel bills will be about the same, that definitely doesn't mean cost of living is the same.

Zerter
2013-10-12, 04:54 AM
I went back to school two years ago after working for six years. My salary right now is roughly 3500$ anually and I borrow a lot more than that. I had to cut back considerably and burned through my reserves, but I don't mind. I will end up three years from now with about 40.000$ in debt that I will have to pay back, with a low interest rate, over a 15 year period. Entry level work in my profession pays out 35.000$ anually and goes up to 140.000$ with experience. People that take on management functions can make a lot more, but that's only a small group.

There are exceptions, but what I see mostly in people I know is that poor financial circumstances are the result of bad decision making. Getting mortages that can only be paid back if nothing goes wrong. Spending on stuff that people don't need. Not reporting income to the tax services.

Topus
2013-10-12, 06:15 AM
About Italy, big cities are more expensive, amongst all Rome and Milan. In average, North Italy is more expensive then South Italy.

Aedilred
2013-10-12, 07:07 AM
On the "that's none of your business" front, I think it's worth drawing a line between enquiring in a professional capacity and a personal one. I can understand why it's useful to know how much your colleagues or competitors earn and how secrecy over that plays into the hands of employers. But if I go to a cocktail party with a mixture of people from all lines of work, nobody needs to know how much anyone else there makes, and the relative equality that that ignorance fosters probably leads to a better environment.

In fact I find that when people in that situation do ask how much cash I (or anyone) makes, there's an implicit value judgment attached that earning more makes you worth more as a person. Occasionally you get the reverse, the "well I haven't sold out and I'm knitting organic alpaca hemp baby-hats for the third world, which is much more socially valuable than what you do" which is at best equally annoying. Talking about money in that situation doesn't really seem to help anything except the egos of a few individuals, in my experience at least. Hence why I keep my cards close to my chest.

THAC0
2013-10-12, 09:21 AM
I've never really understood asking about someone's salary or being offended if someone asks. But then, my salary and my husband's salary are both matters of public record.

Of course, that means we aren't paid based on skill level, which is a big demotivater for both of us right now.

Serpentine
2013-10-12, 10:05 AM
Screw the feelings. If Joe makes more than I do, I'm not going to change that by becoming fixated on it or getting upset. But by knowing, I head into my next interview armed with more info than I would have had otherwise, and a good base to start with when I negotiate my next salary. The feelings that you are talking about aren't foreign where I work, but that is usually the result of guys taking the first number that is offered to them. I'm not going to go around throwing my salary at everyone, but if they ask, I am going to tell them.Yep. If your colleague is getting more than you, and you think you deserve it more, then knowing that means that you can start pushing for your fair share.

ef87
2013-10-12, 11:33 AM
35kish a year.

however it is coming with some unique perks. i work for a school where i attended as a regular student in IT. After my 2 year degree i graduated, 6 months later they hired me as their one and only IT guy. only one in building with the domain admin password, both admin and student side networks.

while working there i took the opportunity to get my bachelors in infosec at 5% of the cost it would normally be without the employee discount.

crazy how the ways things worked out this way. its not much money but not being 40k in debt for a bachelors in worth it.

10 months til graduation and im outie! cant wait!

Force
2013-10-12, 12:14 PM
I work hourly as a RN, but my salary comes out to about $48k/year.

My cost of living is about $1800 a month or so. It helps that I don't have a car payment.

FlapjackStudios
2013-10-12, 12:55 PM
Haha. Salary, what's that?

Neftren
2013-10-12, 02:49 PM
My employer is Google. I think it's worth it, and I actually do have plenty left over after housing costs.

If you don't mind my asking, what technical field of expertise are you in?

I ask mostly because I'm about to send in my internship application to Google, and was curious to see how they stack up to other companies in the area (from the perspective of somebody who isn't a recruiter).

Jon_Dahl
2013-10-12, 03:32 PM
I live like Diogenes of Sinope (minus profanity of course) and I don't like to spend money, so I'm more than fine with my salary. I have absolutely no intention trying to work more or try harder just to earn more money.

I could easily survive even after 30% pay cut without changing my lifestyle.

Douglas
2013-10-12, 03:45 PM
If you don't mind my asking, what technical field of expertise are you in?

I ask mostly because I'm about to send in my internship application to Google, and was curious to see how they stack up to other companies in the area (from the perspective of somebody who isn't a recruiter).
I'm a software engineer.

As for how Google compares to other Silicon Valley companies, I haven't worked for any of the others so I can't actually give a comparison from personal experience. I have heard complaints that the microkitchens are poorly stocked relative to Facebook (and maybe Apple?), but the fact that people bother to complain about something as trivial as not getting a large enough quantity of free snack foods should tell you something. Google is a good enough place to work that competing with it on that score would be difficult.

Flickerdart
2013-10-12, 04:33 PM
Isn't Google supposed to serve amazing food? I went to an event of theirs and everything served there was amazing.

AttilaTheGeek
2013-10-13, 07:43 AM
My salary? Negative 45,000 a year. Isn't it great to be an American college student?

Tyndmyr
2013-10-19, 11:08 PM
Yep. If your colleague is getting more than you, and you think you deserve it more, then knowing that means that you can start pushing for your fair share.

Well, the problem there is it promotes conflict. Going to your boss and pointing out that so and so makes x, and is a lazy bum compared to you is not likely to be looked on kindly, even if true. Plus, the whole "what are you worth" question is subjective as hell. Someone who is quiet, modest, and conflict averse might prefer to make a good deal less to avoid conflict in such an environment, while others might have a very inflated sense of worth, and no qualms about being pushy.

I don't consider it a huge secret, but I do appreciate that there are social conventions to minimize this.

Crow
2013-10-20, 05:00 AM
Well, the problem there is it promotes conflict. Going to your boss and pointing out that so and so makes x, and is a lazy bum compared to you is not likely to be looked on kindly, even if true. Plus, the whole "what are you worth" question is subjective as hell. Someone who is quiet, modest, and conflict averse might prefer to make a good deal less to avoid conflict in such an environment, while others might have a very inflated sense of worth, and no qualms about being pushy.

I don't consider it a huge secret, but I do appreciate that there are social conventions to minimize this.

Whoa. Nobody negotiates their salary (successfully) by pointing out the salary and deficiencies of others. You get the information to draw up a starting point (and desired end point) for your salary request, so you don't lowball or highball yourself. You don't go in negative and throw people under the bus.

Tyndmyr
2013-10-20, 09:44 AM
Whoa. Nobody negotiates their salary (successfully) by pointing out the salary and deficiencies of others. You get the information to draw up a starting point (and desired end point) for your salary request, so you don't lowball or highball yourself. You don't go in negative and throw people under the bus.

Yeah. That's the current situation. That works fine, and in any case, this mostly matters prior to actually having a job.

There's little to be gained by having open salary information within the workplace itself. Most people have a pretty solid idea of how much positions make in general, so there's little need to discuss specifics. Even between friends, it can cause awkwardness. I once realized that a friend of mine, doing a *very* similar job to mine, made about 40K/yr less than me. I steered the conversation away from the topic, because that's only going to get awkward.

Crow
2013-10-20, 06:05 PM
Yeah. That's the current situation. That works fine, and in any case, this mostly matters prior to actually having a job.

For entry-level jobs, yes. For contract positions, or positions of supervision or management in large organizations, you will actually be negotiating your salary as part of being promoted from your previous position.

Seffbasilisk
2013-10-21, 07:22 AM
I make around 30k a year. Then again, I'm a two-time college dropout and I work in a tip job where my luck is a negative factor.

...I need to go back to school.

yougi
2013-10-21, 07:39 AM
As a not-so-experienced teacher in Montreal, I make 40,857$ per year. I also take a few edition contracts from college professors, last year for a good 4,500$. And for those of you who included tuition in your salary (which, I must admit, I find quite odd), well I'm in Quebec, so it costs me around 2,500$ a year.

So somewhere around 45-46k. Then taxes come in, and I'm left with about 50$*.

*I know blue is sarcasm, but what color do we use to make sure people get our hyperboles?

Arcane_Snowman
2013-10-21, 03:46 PM
My work hours are pretty unstable, but I'd pitch myself at around $25k a year. But, being a bachelor in an apartment, it's doing me okay for the time being.

Animastryfe
2013-10-22, 01:01 PM
The word salary means only the money someone earned through a job, correct? It does not include income from, say, investments?

hawkboy772042
2013-10-22, 01:23 PM
I work as a freelancer so how much I make gets confusing, but I average around $2-3k/month after taxes, which is pretty good for Israel.

Jon_Dahl
2013-10-22, 02:14 PM
The word salary means only the money someone earned through a job, correct? It does not include income from, say, investments?

That is correct :smallsmile:

Starbuck_II
2013-10-22, 02:21 PM

'Murica.

So do I.

I make about 12K/yr but then I work part time.

Errata
2013-10-22, 02:38 PM

I live in California, moreover one of the most expensive areas of California. It's expensive because it's one of the most desirable places to live. Also it's geographically constrained from expanding much outward, so they can't just build more to keep prices in equilibrium. Since it's a small resort town, the salaries don't necessarily match the high cost of living. But it's worth it, because I get to live somewhere beautiful with great weather, where people come from around the world to vacation. And even better, I don't have to live in Texas.

I waited for housing prices to bottom out last year and recently bought my first home, a modestly sized but well designed contemporary home in a good, quiet neighborhood with nice views, very close to downtown, just a couple of miles from work. It's very expensive compared to what it would be in most other parts of the country, but it's worth it for the location and the house is more than adequate for me. If you have the right job it's worth it, and it's definitely easier to find those sorts of jobs in California than in cheaper areas.

My base salary is $195k, but with bonuses and dividend income I clear more like $225k. On top of that are stock options and capital gains, which are harder to quantify since I'm not realizing them as income at present, but they are building some indeterminate amount of wealth for the future.

I know plenty of people who work there or have worked there. They're a good employer. Their compensation levels and perks are competitive. The main downside would be how massive they are, and whether you'd be working on the kinds of things you want to work on. There are other, smaller companies with comparable compensation (but probably fewer office perks), where you may have more personal influence on your work. It all comes down to what kinds of projects interest you. I also get the impression that Google's campus is so nice because they want you to basically live there, and they monitor your productivity pretty closely, but that's something I don't have first hand experience of.

I was not that impressed with Mountain View real estate, last time I was up there, frankly. You'd probably be paying $3k a month to rent a not that great little apartment, or you'd have a hellish commute. But people in the Bay Area in technology tend to bounce around to different companies pretty frequently, so your first job there probably isn't your permanent living situation. As an intern they'll cover your housing and you'll spend most of your time with other interns, so those things are more something to think about only if the internship leads to a full time job.

gooddragon1
2013-10-22, 03:14 PM
http://guycodeblog.mtv.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/image.jpg

I have to stop posting reaction gifs before the mods get me...

I'm merely curious as to where you're getting them from.

Errata
2013-10-22, 03:59 PM

I think your math is way off. There's probably more than one error going on here.

First of all, the 2012 99th percentile income for individual earners in the UK is £156,000 (which is 183k Euros or 250k USD. 250k is not quite the top 1%, but it's around the top 2%.

Secondly, 100k Euros would be 137k USD, which is more than 80th percentile in the US. It's more like top 5% than top 20%. For an individual. For household income it's top 15%. I don't know what percentile you're attempting to calculate, but you should make sure whatever data sources you're using are an apples to apples comparison with one another.

scurv
2013-10-22, 07:43 PM
this year, I would say close to 50k, but I had more Overtime then i care to think about. But normally it is closer to 43k.

Neftren
2013-10-22, 08:59 PM
I know plenty of people who work there or have worked there. They're a good employer. Their compensation levels and perks are competitive. The main downside would be how massive they are, and whether you'd be working on the kinds of things you want to work on. There are other, smaller companies with comparable compensation (but probably fewer office perks), where you may have more personal influence on your work. It all comes down to what kinds of projects interest you. I also get the impression that Google's campus is so nice because they want you to basically live there, and they monitor your productivity pretty closely, but that's something I don't have first hand experience of.

Right now, I'd be pretty much interested in getting any sort of internship in a computing field with a reputable company. The past few summers, I've been interning with the Federal Government. Given our current financial woes, I have a feeling I won't be returning there next summer due to budgetary constraints (I was furloughed for five days). That, and I'm a little tired of research, and more interested in learning about working on large projects, and shipping software. I've also been turned down by a lot of smaller companies on the West Coast because I'm on the East Coast, despite my having local housing nearby. So, yeah... frustrating, to say the least.

I'm currently in school for game design, though I'm also getting a second degree in Computer Science. So ideally, my dream job would be in a studio somewhere, but working for a software company isn't far behind. It'd be really neat to work in a field that isn't gaming related for a bit. I don't want to categorically eliminate any potential field of (applicable) computer science without having at least tried it first.

I was not that impressed with Mountain View real estate, last time I was up there, frankly. You'd probably be paying $3k a month to rent a not that great little apartment, or you'd have a hellish commute. But people in the Bay Area in technology tend to bounce around to different companies pretty frequently, so your first job there probably isn't your permanent living situation. As an intern they'll cover your housing and you'll spend most of your time with other interns, so those things are more something to think about only if the internship leads to a full time job.

I'm pretty used to nightmare commutes. I drive about an hour (no traffic) to work each way during the summers. With traffic, that figure can balloon to two or three hours, so not only would I wake up at 6:30am to get to work at 8am, I'd be leaving around 6pm and get home around 7:30pm. This is in a manual transmission car on a highway where the average speed never exceeds ten miles per hour during rush hour.

Housing on the hand, hmm. I think it's great that the bigger companies pay for housing. Barring that though, I do have friends in LA and in the Bay Area that I could crash with for at least a few months until I find something reasonably priced.

I'm probably getting a little ahead of myself though. I don't even have an internship or a job offer yet! :smallbiggrin:

Animastryfe
2013-10-22, 09:30 PM
That is correct :smallsmile:

In that case, my salary is $0. I am a university student.

Jon_Dahl
2013-10-24, 04:20 AM
I'm merely curious as to where you're getting them from.

A bit off-topic.
I collect them from various forums where people post a lot of animated gifs. None of them are in English, but I've heard that 4chan is like that. For some reason, people don't post gifs here and when they do, they tend to be lame.

Jan Mattys
2013-10-24, 05:42 AM
30.000 € after taxes.
That's about 42.000 US dollars.

As it is, it's enough for a decent living.

Tylorious
2013-10-24, 07:49 AM
One hundred bazillion dollars :smallcool: