PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.5/Need help for Spellbreaker

littleskrofa
2013-10-07, 10:05 AM
So,i am in a session that started a month ago and i chose to make a Lawful Neutral Spellbreaker .I am new in 3.5, first time playing accrualy,and i was wondering if someone can help with a built(feats,etc.).Noting that our dm likes hardcore and is not going easy on us.

P.s. our party is 1.dwarven defender,2. cleric,3.ninja (not the best party for hardcore sessions)
Thx in advance :)

Urpriest
2013-10-07, 12:05 PM
What is a Spellbreaker? It's not a class I've ever heard of.

Ossian
2013-10-07, 12:07 PM
What is a Spellbreaker? It's not a class I've ever heard of.

It must have weapon mastery: Vuvuzela, with that name :smallsmile:

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-10-07, 12:22 PM
If you mean this Spellbreaker (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Spell_Breaker_%283.5e_Prestige_Class%29), what level are you currently at, and what class levels, feats, race, etc. did you pick? Also, what books do you have available, and what's the highest level you expect this character to reach before the current game ends?

littleskrofa
2013-10-07, 01:49 PM
If you mean this Spellbreaker (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Spell_Breaker_%283.5e_Prestige_Class%29), what level are you currently at, and what class levels, feats, race, etc. did you pick? Also, what books do you have available, and what's the highest level you expect this character to reach before the current game ends?
Not the prestige class but this one http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Spell_Breaker_(3.5e_Class)
i am human 2nd level with the mage slayer as a 1st feat ,and the expected lvl for this char to reach is beyond epic lever 20 and higher.The reason i made the post is tha i d like a guide/built in order to do good dmg

Hyena
2013-10-07, 01:53 PM
First rule of DnD - never visit dandwiki.
EVER.

It's full of homebrew, most of it is unbalanced and created by someone who has no idea about how game works.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-10-07, 02:19 PM
Not the prestige class but this one http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Spell_Breaker_(3.5e_Class)
i am human 2nd level with the mage slayer as a 1st feat ,and the expected lvl for this char to reach is beyond epic lever 20 and higher.The reason i made the post is tha i d like a guide/built in order to do good dmg

That class is a regular Lightning Warrior. It's one of those things that's horribly overpowered in the early levels, was not even fully thought out, has little to no flavor, and some of it doesn't even seem to fit or make sense (class skill list). Use d20srd.org (http://www.d20srd.org/), it only contains official classes, feats, etc. A good deal of what's present on dandwiki is the result of someone creating an overpowered class for himself, making sure to include everything he want his character to have, then showing it to his DM as though it's something official/credible. That Spell Breaker you're using is not even finished, for all you know the next time you go to level up your character it could be completely different.

If a given base class, prestige class, or feat is not present on one of these lists (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/arch/lists), then it wasn't created by Wizards of the Coast and it's probably not even worth considering.

Lord Haart
2013-10-07, 02:21 PM

Well, first of all, let's cast Faerie Fire on the Dire elephant in the room: the class is positively, horrendously awful. Like, worse than Truenamer… No, the "can't use magic items and resists friendly spells" part makes it worse than a commoner. Due to fast healing 1, it might be somewhat good in a campaign that never intends to go beyond the second level, but that's not even your case. To clarify: characters in 3.5e are bound to their items so hard that Vow of Poverty, a well-known feat that forbids you from owning magic items and rewards it far more generously than your class does, is universally considering as a way to gimp a character hard. But VoP characters can at least partake in party buffs; you can't.

Say, an aerial combat breaks up. Your class doesn't provide you with flight, you can't use magic items to fly, and unlike a VoP character, your wizard can't even cast Overland Flight on your poor soul. Hope you've invested into archery and the fight isn't too far from you. And then you get left behind when party begins greater teleporting around the world. When everyone goes underwater. Party fighter gets an extra attack from Haste, you have to go without it. Sucks to be you, indeed.

And the article isn't even written in English, if i know anything about English grammar proper.

Talk to your DM about changing your class. Hard. There are a lot of options if you want to play a mage-slayer type, an anti-magical character or a faithful representation of Warcraft's elven spellbreakers; all of them do not gimp you into nothing. Spellthief is good, warblade is good, i can think of a lot of things that are good, this one is not. If you get permission to change your class, ask us and we'll be glad to provide you with builds and classes and ideas to pick from.

If you don't, then you are in a bloody hard spot. I'd say you have two options then.

Option №1: play a spellbreaker without a spellbreaker. Ask for clarifications about the "If he does so, he loses all of his Spell Breaker abilities for a week" passage. If abilities you lose include having to make saving throws against friendly spells and do not include your BAB and hit die, great — multiclass into any class you like, grab a magic weapon, lose your abilities and don't ever look back. If it does include BAB and hit die, well, it's still worth it, really.

Option №2, which i don't recommend at all: if you're really dedicated, try to make best of what you've got. Grab Vow of Powerty (it won't hurt you in any way, you've already forfeited magic items), go for Draconic Wings or pledge yourself to Bahamut and get converted into a Dragonborn to get some means to fly at all, take meldshaping feats to be a quasi-meldshaper, scramble for every little bit of utility (power you ain't) you can squeese out of yourself.

Oh, and Mage Slayer is illegal on lvl 1 (it requires BAB 3). If you're stuck with your class, try to use that to get a permission to retrain it. You have far more pressing needs than to optimize the one very narrow thing your class is inherently very good at (thwarting spellcasting enemies that are stupid enough to let you right in their face).

By the way, be wary of the fact that if your table uses Dandwiki classes, any of your neighbours might win a jackpot and go to town with a class that has 9th-level spells on level 9 and epic spells on lvl 10.

littleskrofa
2013-10-07, 04:16 PM
First rule of DnD - never visit dandwiki.
EVER.

It's full of homebrew, most of it is unbalanced and created by someone who has no idea about how game works.

i will have it in mind from now on :P

littleskrofa
2013-10-07, 04:19 PM
Well, first of all, let's cast Faerie Fire on the Dire elephant in the room: the class is positively, horrendously awful. Like, worse than Truenamer… No, the "can't use magic items and resists friendly spells" part makes it worse than a commoner. Due to fast healing 1, it might be somewhat good in a campaign that never intends to go beyond the second level, but that's not even your case. To clarify: characters in 3.5e are bound to their items so hard that Vow of Poverty, a well-known feat that forbids you from owning magic items and rewards it far more generously than your class does, is universally considering as a way to gimp a character hard. But VoP characters can at least partake in party buffs; you can't.

Say, an aerial combat breaks up. Your class doesn't provide you with flight, you can't use magic items to fly, and unlike a VoP character, your wizard can't even cast Overland Flight on your poor soul. Hope you've invested into archery and the fight isn't too far from you. And then you get left behind when party begins greater teleporting around the world. When everyone goes underwater. Party fighter gets an extra attack from Haste, you have to go without it. Sucks to be you, indeed.

And the article isn't even written in English, if i know anything about English grammar proper.

Talk to your DM about changing your class. Hard. There are a lot of options if you want to play a mage-slayer type, an anti-magical character or a faithful representation of Warcraft's elven spellbreakers; all of them do not gimp you into nothing. Spellthief is good, warblade is good, i can think of a lot of things that are good, this one is not. If you get permission to change your class, ask us and we'll be glad to provide you with builds and classes and ideas to pick from.

If you don't, then you are in a bloody hard spot. I'd say you have two options then.

Option №1: play a spellbreaker without a spellbreaker. Ask for clarifications about the "If he does so, he loses all of his Spell Breaker abilities for a week" passage. If abilities you lose include having to make saving throws against friendly spells and do not include your BAB and hit die, great — multiclass into any class you like, grab a magic weapon, lose your abilities and don't ever look back. If it does include BAB and hit die, well, it's still worth it, really.

Option №2, which i don't recommend at all: if you're really dedicated, try to make best of what you've got. Grab Vow of Powerty (it won't hurt you in any way, you've already forfeited magic items), go for Draconic Wings or pledge yourself to Bahamut and get converted into a Dragonborn to get some means to fly at all, take meldshaping feats to be a quasi-meldshaper, scramble for every little bit of utility (power you ain't) you can squeese out of yourself.

Oh, and Mage Slayer is illegal on lvl 1 (it requires BAB 3). If you're stuck with your class, try to use that to get a permission to retrain it. You have far more pressing needs than to optimize the one very narrow thing your class is inherently very good at (thwarting spellcasting enemies that are stupid enough to let you right in their face).

By the way, be wary of the fact that if your table uses Dandwiki classes, any of your neighbours might win a jackpot and go to town with a class that has 9th-level spells on level 9 and epic spells on lvl 10.

Thx for all the informations and tips you gave :).And i think i will follow your advise on asking my dm to change the class.Wish me luck :D

ArcturusV
2013-10-07, 04:37 PM
Note that if you're changing classes, that there are some things you kinda have to keep in mind. Particularly if you want to still be some "Anti-Mage Brawler" sort of figure...

DnD lies to you. Monks are not good at killing mages. Paladins aren't either. Or barbarians, or Forsakers, etc. At least presuming you're getting into anything even approaching mid level range.

To quote a Saturday Morning Cartoon Character: "Magic must defeat magic!"

So if your campaign is getting into higher levels, your choice for "Anti-Mage Brawler" mostly comes down to either Cleric, or Druid (And both are quite good at it).

At lower levels you can make other things work out better. DnD has always been "swing balance" like that (Where less magical classes are powerful at lower levels typically, and at higher levels you depend on magic users to carry the party). Well, less so in 3rd edition. A monk at level 2 is a respectable threat against a Wizard. As is a Paladin. Heck, even a Fighter is.

So when you pick a new class, if you do, just remember there is that trade off to pick. If you grab something like a Monk, or a Fighter, or a Paladin, just be aware that time is your enemy. As you gain levels you start to fall behind everyone else, and are less effective in general. But at level 2? You can rock face pretty hard with the best of them. If you pick something like cleric or druid you will be... not as bad off as a wizard, at all. You'll mostly barely be worse off than something like the Barbarian (In general). And there will be some challenges you won't be good at handling like Stealth, due to low skill points, armor, etc. But as you gain levels, you gain power, quickly. And at the end of the game it'll be you and the other Cleric who is carrying the party through a lot of encounters where, basically, you're the only two who CAN solve some problems.

Red Fel
2013-10-07, 08:39 PM
To quote a Saturday Morning Cartoon Character: "Magic must defeat magic!"

One more thing!

Arcturus makes some excellent mechanical points. If your goal is to kill casters, pure melee won't do it. You need something "more." Duskblade, from Player's Handbook II, is a fun option - it gives you spells of your own, but with a solid melee progression and some useful mechanics. It's also fairly straightforward for a player who is new to the game. I'd advise avoiding Mage Slayer, though, since it hurts Duskblade's casting.

If, on the other hand, you want a melee powerhouse, and the magekilling was more flavorful than a goal, I strongly advise you to look at some of the classes from Tome of Battle. They are easy to use right out of the box, scale nicely, and give you lots of fun options.

And respect your elders!