PDA

View Full Version : Shapeshifting druid and the rope tied to him

Deadtissue
2013-10-07, 10:55 AM
I recently started a new E6 campaign and one of the players created a Goliath Whirling Rage Barbarian1/Shapeshifting Druid2 so he could change shapes out of the gates. Its a pretty nice ability now that I have seen it in play (free action to shift) but it raised a few questions at our last session.

The group was crossing a raging river and so the druid shifted to predator form to get the str bonus to his swim and the group tied a rope around him so they could use it to assist the less athletic members of the group swim across by stretching it across the river. Once he got to the far side of the river a group of enemies jumped him and he shifted back to use his great axe on them and once again into predator form during the fight to gain the AC/Dex bonus.

The rope that was tied to him is the issue. Would it meld into his form when he shifted and therefore disappear? Not to mention if it did not would he be able to shift given the different forms shape and size? If he shifted after it melded when he unshifted would it still be stretched across the river?

I just let it work this time until I could think about it and come up with a method of handling equipment "melding" into a form that is not quite so clear as in this example.

Any thoughts on this topic would be appreciated and if any knows if the sage ever addressed this (wrt wildshape anyway) or if there is a ruling I missed someplace, feel free to pass it along.

Thanks in advance,

The Trickster
2013-10-07, 11:14 AM
Since the rope was on him, I would say yes, by RAW, it would meld into him.
From the SRD, Druid;

Any gear worn or carried by the druid melds into the new form and becomes nonfunctional. When the druid reverts to her true form, any objects previously melded into the new form reappear in the same location on her body that they previously occupied and are once again functional. Any new items worn in the assumed form fall off and land at the druid's feet.

Joe the Rat
2013-10-07, 11:39 AM
Any gear worn or carried by the druid melds into the new form and becomes nonfunctional. When the druid reverts to her true form, any objects previously melded into the new form reappear in the same location on her body that they previously occupied and are once again functional. Any new items worn in the assumed form fall off and land at the druid's feet.

Given the stated order (changed form, then tied one on), the rope would not have melded. Rather, it fell (uselessly) to the ground when the druid shifted back to goliath mode, and remained there until retrieved or pulled back in by the current.

Urpriest
2013-10-07, 11:44 AM
You guys are both assuming it's an item worn. Precedent from Invisibility is that an item that extends that far from you is not worn and is not affected by your buffs.

The Trickster
2013-10-07, 11:52 AM
Given the stated order (changed form, then tied one on), the rope would not have melded. Rather, it fell (uselessly) to the ground when the druid shifted back to goliath mode, and remained there until retrieved or pulled back in by the current.

I...feel dumb. Good catch Joe.

Deadtissue
2013-10-07, 12:11 PM
You can see my dilemna,

If a rope is stretched out behind you 100' across a raging river and it melds into your form does it snap into your form like a vacumn cord or does it all just disappear? If it falls at your feet is it still a big knot or coiled neatly? So many unanswered questions.

I ruled as Urpriest suggested because the players did not have enough rope to afford to lose it or enough good swimmers to try it again and it really added to the tension having the Goliath fight with a rope tied to him as other characters tried to cross the river to help him fight off the gnolls.

It just did not feel right due to the way Wildshape is written though in shapeshift from PH2 that last line does not exist and in future I will likely rule as suggested by Joe the Rat.

This creates another problem. What if I tied the goliath up can he just shift and either have the ropes that bind him disappear and then appear in a pile at his feet. No need for escape artist for Shapeshifting druids and now Urpriests take makes more sense.

No clarification, erratta or sagely advice on this eh? Figures.

The Trickster
2013-10-07, 02:08 PM
Honestly, even if the rules are a little hazzy, you did the right thing. Play the game in the way that maximizes the fun. If the players enjoyed the ruling, then all is good.:smallbiggrin:

Ketiara
2013-10-07, 02:22 PM
I would have ruled that the rope was still tied to him although a bit more loose... I take it the normal shape is smaller...
I would then have made him make another str check to see if he was still able to withstand the pull of the rope. And if he was still tied to the rope he would be pulled towards the river if he didn't make the str check... It would have made for a very interesting situation.

Edit: I even think, that if he just managed his str check, I would have denied him his dex or such to ac if he didn't want to be pulled towards the water if he had to defend himself. I would also apply some penalties to resist bullrush.

Caligstro Smith
2013-10-07, 02:54 PM
If you were going to apply penalties as stuff is dragging on the rope after shifting to a lower strength form, maybe using the lasso's effects would be appropriate? -2 attacks, -4 dex? Since it's a very similar situation.

A strength check might seem to be intuitive, but how would you determine its DC after all?

If the total PCs coming across were within his max load he'd probably have been fine/not had any more movement penalties than a heavy load would impose, but if they were in the overhead/drag range then it'd probably be best to just apply the movement rules while dragging something?

Ketiara
2013-10-07, 03:33 PM
You are probably right, never looked up the lasso rules, they would do.