PDA

View Full Version : RKV otimal gear selection. HELP!

MindSculptor
2013-10-07, 11:42 AM
I am looking to optimize my lockdown RKV and gear is something I'm lost on because this is my first game past level 2. I already know that I'll be using a reach weapon for more threat area and I will be donning armor spikes to threaten adjacent squares. I will be picking up a Rod of Nightstick to gain more turn attempts and a +2 wisdom item to get my wisdom up to 14. My stats after level 4 are 18str 16dex 17con 10int 13wis 12cha. Give me anything and everything you can think of that will improve my Ruby Knight Vindicator. He is a lock down tank build using:

R: Power Attack
1: Combat Reflexes
3: Stand Still
6: Extra Granted Maneuver
9: Travel Devotion
12: Robilar's Gambit
15: Practised Spellcaster
18: Battle Blessing

I may be swapping Robilar's Gambit for even more turning attempts but I haven't made my mind up.

Aegis013
2013-10-07, 12:57 PM
Guisarme with armor spikes is probably your best bet on weapons. Though you don't appear to have Improved Trip or Knock-Down which can really help this kind of build.

You can get Improved Trip by taking two levels of Wolf Totem Barbarian (Wolf Totem ACF in Unearthed Arcana). Or for the most bang for your buck, Spirit Lion Totem (Complete Champion) Wolf Totem Whirling Frenzy (Unearthed Arcana) Barbarian which will net you Pounce, Imp. Trip, and the ability to Whirling Frenzy for an extra attack.

As far as Nightsticks, they're excellent, but their biggest benefit come from being paired with Divine Metamagic: <Insert Metamagic>, from Complete Divine. Using it with Travel Devotion and Battle Blessing will be nice, since it will allow you to buff yourself, move, and bring the smackdown with full attacks on your foes.

Other items to look into include standards such as Belt of Battle for 12k from Magic Item Compendium and stuff from this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187851) to help shore up your defenses and combat capabilities which aren't supplied by your Paladin casting.

MindSculptor
2013-10-07, 01:52 PM
Thanks for the input, but I won't be using trip though. I'll be using a Glaive for more damage. I won't need trip with thicket of blades and standstill. I will take a look at that link and such.

Red Fel
2013-10-07, 02:04 PM
It looks like you're playing up the tanking aspects of RKV, and playing down the stealth. That probably works best for a Paladin-entry; I don't think the Code of Conduct looks fondly on a lot of what Shadow Hand does.

If I'm reading this build correctly, you're basically planning to tank heavily with Devoted Spirit, maybe employ some White Raven shenanigans, and use Divine Impetus for swift combat-buffing, is that right?

I say load up. Keep your armor to medium, so it doesn't hose your max Dex bonus (for your AoOs). Consider mithral full plate, for example. Don't bother with a shield; sword-and-board just doesn't fly.

Consider a Reliquary Holy Symbol (MiC) for extra turn attempts. Also, consider getting Armor Spikes, and enchanting them with Warning and Eager. Don't use them as weapons, just use them for those enhancements. Remember that this won't count against your armor enhancements.

Also, take a trip to Bunko's Bargain Basement (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=350.0) to see if anything thrills you.

Aegis013
2013-10-07, 02:40 PM
I say load up. Keep your armor to medium, so it doesn't hose your max Dex bonus (for your AoOs).

Max Dexterity bonus from armor doesn't affect how many Attacks of Opportunity you can take in a round.

Maximum Dex Bonus

This number is the maximum Dexterity bonus to AC that this type of armor allows. Heavier armors limit mobility, reducing the wearer’s ability to dodge blows. This restriction doesn’t affect any other Dexterity-related abilities.

Emphasis mine.

Red Fel
2013-10-07, 02:40 PM
Max Dexterity bonus from armor doesn't affect how many Attacks of Opportunity you can take in a round.

Emphasis mine.

Whoops. Duh. My bad.

Grumblegrumblepostingfromworkgrumble...

MindSculptor
2013-10-07, 07:59 PM
But my dexterity does affect my combat reflexes... which is Aoo...

Red Fel
2013-10-07, 08:29 PM
But my dexterity does affect my combat reflexes... which is Aoo...

That's correct. But as Aegis helpfully pointed out, the weight of armor influences your movement speed and your Dex bonus to AC, not your Dex bonus overall. Your Dex bonus remains the same for the purpose of calculating your AoOs.

So tank up!

MindSculptor
2013-10-07, 08:37 PM
AHHHHHHH! okay! I never knew that! Thanks for pointing that out!