PDA

View Full Version : Having a problem with Batman Arkham City.

Dr Mushroom
2013-10-07, 12:12 PM
I tried to uninstall it a few months back, but it kept coming up with an error message saying: "The installer has encountered a problem with the package." This was followed by the error code 2753. I thought, "No biggie, I have plenty of hard drive space." Recently I tried to play the game. It registered as already being installed. I had to manually launch the game, and then the same error message as the uninstall one came up. I am now left with an incompletely and/or incorrectly installed game, meaning I can't play it, or uninstall it using any programs. Are there any options other than manually deleting everything, and does this sound like a problem with my copy?

Brother Oni
2013-10-07, 12:40 PM
Doing some checking, it seems like the only fix would be to delete the game and remove its registry entries, reboot then re-install.

Warning - editing the registry should be done with great care as messing up the registry can require an OS repair or in the worst case, a complete OS re-install.

There are programs which can help you with un-installing a troublesome program - CCleaner works well for me.

Dr Mushroom
2013-10-07, 12:57 PM
Doing some checking, it seems like the only fix would be to delete the game and remove its registry entries, reboot then re-install.

Warning - editing the registry should be done with great care as messing up the registry can require an OS repair or in the worst case, a complete OS re-install.

There are programs which can help you with un-installing a troublesome program - CCleaner works well for me.

Thanks! I'll try that.

Dr Mushroom
2013-10-07, 01:03 PM

I don't see how CCleaner could help uninstall a troublesome program. I tried using it, but then it just ran the standard Windows uninstall/repair/change setup that I already used from the control panel. I guess I'll just do it manually then.

Brother Oni
2013-10-07, 01:12 PM
I don't see how CCleaner could help uninstall a troublesome program. I tried using it, but then it just ran the standard Windows uninstall/repair/change setup that I already used from the control panel. I guess I'll just do it manually then.

Use 'Delete Entry' instead of Run Uninstaller, then go to Registry and Scan for Issues.

This should pick up the offending registry entries that are stopping you from re-installing Arkham City.

The standard tool for editing the registry is regedit which isn't the easiest of tools to use, especially if you don't know what you're looking for.

Dr Mushroom
2013-10-07, 01:12 PM
OK this is very strange. I have none of the program files on my system, but it still is shown on my list of programs. Also, when I manually start the launcher it gives me the option to launch the game, not install it. When I do that an error message appears and it fails to launch. I guess I'll just have to wait until Origins comes out to be Batman. :(

Brother Oni
2013-10-07, 01:15 PM
You haven't removed the Batman Arkham City registry entries yet, so your computer still thinks the game is installed.

Dr Mushroom
2013-10-07, 01:17 PM
Use 'Delete Entry' instead of Run Uninstaller, then go to Registry and Scan for Issues.

This should pick up the offending registry entries that are stopping you from re-installing Arkham City.

The standard tool for editing the registry is regedit which isn't the easiest of tools to use, especially if you don't know what you're looking for.

I'm a bit unsure about whether or not to use "Delete Entry" because when I click it, it warns me that doing this will not uninstall the application from my computer.

Dr Mushroom
2013-10-07, 01:28 PM
OK so I did some research, and apparently I can't delete the registries because i don't have the local files on my computer. I am going insane.

Brother Oni
2013-10-07, 01:39 PM
OK apparently CCleaner lied, because it did uninstall it from my computer. Now I have to navigate windows registries. Any help you could offer me on this specific problem?

Ccleaner didn't lie, you just failed to read the message in its entirety.

Use Ccleaner to scan your registry and it should fix the errors.

No offence intended but given the level of technical ability you appear to have, I have to repeat my warning that messing up your registry can terminally screw up your computer.

In your 'Search programs and files' window in your start menu, type in "regedit" (no speech marks).

Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/ and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/ and remove anything containing the term Batman or Batman Arkham City.

Restart your machine.

OK so I did some research, and apparently I can't delete the registries because i don't have the local files on my computer. I am going insane.

You are on an administrator account, right?

Dr Mushroom
2013-10-07, 01:43 PM
You are on an administrator account, right?

I am, yes. I can't find anything on my registries about Batman, Batman Arkham City or WBGames, which was were the files were located previously. Thank you so much for your help so far, and putting up with my zero technical ability, but do you have any idea why this could be?

Brother Oni
2013-10-07, 01:52 PM
Have you tried restarting your machine then re-installing?

If the registry has been cleared of all Batman Arkham City entries as you say, then there should be nothing stopping you from re-installing it, unless Origins is doing something stupid.
Have you tried the Find option in regedit to double check you got them all?

There's not much more that I can do as I don't have the game on PC myself, so can't walk you through the process step by step.

Dr Mushroom
2013-10-07, 01:55 PM
Thank you so much for your help thus far, I'll restart my computer and, good or bad, not bother you any more.

GloatingSwine
2013-10-07, 01:55 PM
If the program is still in your list of installed programs, first try the Microsoft program install and uninstall utility:

http://support.microsoft.com/mats/Program_Install_and_Uninstall

If that doesn't do it use Revo Uninstaller

http://www.revouninstaller.com/

Dr Mushroom
2013-10-07, 02:06 PM
Arkham City is dead. I'm going to go play Civ for 5 hours.

Brother Oni
2013-10-07, 02:07 PM
Thank you so much for your help thus far, I'll restart my computer and, good or bad, not bother you any more.

It's fine, it's just somewhat frustrating not being able to see what you're actually doing, compared to what you say you're doing - doing tech support for friends and family has taught me that lesson the hard way.

If the program is still in your list of installed programs, first try the Microsoft program install and uninstall utility:

http://support.microsoft.com/mats/Program_Install_and_Uninstall

I keep on forgetting that Windows (and by extension, Microsoft) isn't as deliberately awkward to its users as it used to be.

GloatingSwine
2013-10-07, 06:15 PM
Using the uninstaller in CCleaner was probably a mistake, because it evidently hasn't recognised some remaining entries in the registry that are telling the launcher that Arkham City is installed, but it's probably nuked any entries that any other programs could use to recognise it.

Revo's hunter mode might be able to find it.

Brother Oni
2013-10-08, 07:08 AM
Using the uninstaller in CCleaner was probably a mistake, because it evidently hasn't recognised some remaining entries in the registry that are telling the launcher that Arkham City is installed, but it's probably nuked any entries that any other programs could use to recognise it.

Revo's hunter mode might be able to find it.

Presumably the registry check in CCleaner would pick up abandoned or obsolete registry entries?
Even so, if he did a search his registry for 'batman' using regedit as he says he did, it would pick up anything even remotely related to Arkham City.

I agree that there's something still in the registry, but without looking over Dr Mushroom's shoulder, I don't think we can tell him how to find it. If you think Revo can do it, then it's worth a shot.

Edit: Oh crap, Arkham City uses GfWL. Do you think that might be doing something odd?