Level: Sor/Wiz 5
Components: V,S,M
Casting time: 1 standard action
Range:30 ft. +5/caster level
Target: One creature.
Duration: See text
Saving Throw: Will negates
Spell Resistance: Yes
Material Component: A small mirror with a crack in it.

A large cone of faint blue swirling light surrounds a creature. Whenever the creature is damaged, the amount of damage the creature takes is unaffected, but half the damage value is added to the caster's hit points and added to the caster’s hit points in the form of healing (cannot exceed the caster’s maximum hit points). Also, if the creature within the cone is healed, the amount of hit points it is healed is unaffected, but half the healing value is subtracted from the caster's hit points. The creature that is surrounded by the cone cannot gain hit points by damaging the caster, nor can it lose them when the caster is healed. The caster may use a full-round action to dismiss the cone.

Peregrine
2006-12-31, 11:27 AM
the amount of hit points lost is halved and added to the caster’s hit points in the form of healing ... the amount of hit points gained is halved and taken away from the caster’s hit points

Could you clarify these? Is it that the creature loses/gains half the normal damage/healing, and the caster gains/loses the other half? Is it that the creature is affected normally, but you halve the amount and add/subtract that value from the caster? Or -- it seems unlikely, but also possible from your wording -- is it that the creature loses/gains half the normal amount, and the normal amount is added to/subtracted from the caster?

Ali
2006-12-31, 11:46 AM
The creature is affected normally, but you halve the amount and add/subtract that value from the caster.

Example:

Boris is surrounded by Konrel’s Cunning Cone. Percy cast it on him.

Percy has 5 hit points left from previous experiences. Boris has 20.

Boris then takes 10 damage. That 10 damage is then halved (but Boris takes the full damage) and then the halved amount is added to Percy's HP (as he is below his maximum HP) leaving Percy with 10 hit points, because he had 5 before Boris took damage. Boris has 10 hit points left.

Boris then drinks a healing potion, which restores his 10 hit points. Percy takes 5 damage becouse of this, bringing him down to 5 hit points again.

If Boris were to hit Percy with his greatclub, and do 10 damage, this would NOT gain Boris 5 hit points. That only works for the caster.

Peregrine
2006-12-31, 12:17 PM
Thanks. It's just that 'the amount of hit points lost is halved' sounds like the loss itself is reduced. I would suggest saying 'half the damage value is added to the caster's hit points' or something like that. Something that doesn't imply that the subject of the damage is in any way affected.

Roderick_BR
2006-12-31, 12:34 PM
So, you gain hit points when your target loses them?

squishycube
2006-12-31, 12:37 PM
Thoughts:
Cast it on yourself! Free damage reduction equal to half the damage you recieve! It works on everything! You might want to look into spells that grant temporary damage reduction to consider how powerful this could be.
I think using the spell this way is a lot more powerful than casting it on an enemy.

Valairn
2006-12-31, 01:51 PM
Maybe that's the point? But if you get healed.... then you only get healed for half too!

Ali
2006-12-31, 02:12 PM
"So, you gain hit points when your target loses them?"

Yes.

Hmm... I didn't think about the caster casting it on themselves. Perhaps I should change the target to 'One creature that isn't the caster'?

Valairn
2007-01-01, 09:00 AM
Well you have to take into account that as a shield its only so so, it may reduce damage by 50% but its also gonna reduce heals by 50% as well. Make it a full round action to drop the shield and then I think it may be balanced enough to let the caster use it on themselves?

Ali
2007-01-01, 09:17 AM
Good idea Valairn. I have made it a full round action to dismiss the cone.

Valairn
2007-01-01, 09:50 AM
Yeah! People like my ideas! As a further note, you could make a high level version of this spell that affects all creatures within a certain range, sort of like an all-divide in the tales games....

Ali
2007-01-01, 10:01 AM
Woulden't that just be exactly the same, except that the 'target' would be: any creatures within 30 ft. +5/caster level of the caster?

Valairn
2007-01-01, 10:11 AM
Scratch that idea I realized I created a huge rabbit hole....