PDA

View Full Version : Ruby knight vindicator build?

YPU
2006-12-31, 09:40 AM
Seems like an interesting class to me, but what is the strongest path to it? Clearly not paladin, that would make the caster levels (nearly) useless but should it be a cleric with some initiator feats, or crusader cleric multyclass? Or perhaps there is another sourcebook that has a class that casts divine spells and can turn/rebuke undead? So any idea’s to getting to this class the most meta gaming way ;)

ImperiousLeader
2006-12-31, 10:43 PM
Crusader/Cleric would be my thought, you need an initiator class to get a method to refresh your maneuvers.

Bears With Lasers
2006-12-31, 10:49 PM
Crusader/Cleric is the typical one, and works fine, whether you focus primarily on Crusader or on Cleric.

Me, I want to try an Archivist 4/Church Inquisitor 5/Sacred Exorcist 1/Crusader 1/RKV 10 build.

Frerezar
2008-12-09, 12:26 PM
idk the exact math for this but it might work i dont have any books in fron of me).

Paladinof tiranny 5 / crusader 4 / Un priest 1 / ruby knight vindicator 10

With a high enought charisma it could be great. very high 19BAB, 9th lvl maneuvers, 9th lvl spells. You could swap crusader for another initiator class but i just like the fluff with paladin.

Fishy
2008-12-09, 12:31 PM
I dunno, paladin might actually be the way to go. Take the Battle Blessing feat from Complete Champion, and you can cast Paladin spells as swift actions: and RKV gives you a bunch of swift actions a turn. That's not going to be useful.

Person_Man
2008-12-09, 12:36 PM
Warning: RKV is generally known as one of the most broken PrC in the game. Even if you're playing with other full casters, the ability to get additional actions utterly destroys your DMs ability to balance combat.

Eldariel
2008-12-09, 12:39 PM
Warning: RKV is generally known as one of the most broken PrC in the game. Even if you're playing with other full casters, the ability to get additional actions utterly destroys your DMs ability to balance combat.

Wasn't the ability errata'd to being usable once per round though? That would reign it in.

RTGoodman
2008-12-09, 12:49 PM
idk the exact math for this but it might work i dont have any books in fron of me).

Paladinof tiranny 5 / crusader 4 / Un priest 1 / ruby knight vindicator 10

With a high enought charisma it could be great. very high 19BAB, 9th lvl maneuvers, 9th lvl spells. You could swap crusader for another initiator class but i just like the fluff with paladin.

That would be a pretty cool build, but I think it'd be impossible or next-to-impossible to meet the Ur-Priest's skill prerequisites with just Paladin of Tyranny and Crusader levels. Don't have ToB to check what skills the Crusader gets, but you need something like Bluff 6 ranks, Knowledge (Arcana) 5 ranks, Knowledge (The Planes) 5 ranks, Knowledge (Religion) 8 ranks, and Spellcraft 8 ranks.

MeklorIlavator
2008-12-09, 12:51 PM
Nope, only Hide 4, Intimidate 4, Knowledge Religion 8.

RTGoodman
2008-12-09, 12:58 PM
Nope, only Hide 4, Intimidate 4, Knowledge Religion 8.

Yeah, for RKV. I was talking about for Ur-Priest, which has the prerequisites I listed above (plus Iron Will and Spell Focus [Evil]). All in all, that's a HUGE amount of skill points needed considering Paladin of Tyranny is 2+Int skill points and I think Crusader is probably on 4+Int. That and the whole cross-class skill limitations. Knowledge (Religion) and Intimidate would probably be easy, but Bluff, Hide, Arcana, Planes, and Spellcraft would be tough or impossible to get at that level.

Keld Denar
2008-12-09, 01:00 PM
I think it was FAQed to be useable only once per round which DOES make it much more managable. Then again, in about 30 seconds, Stupendous Man will be along telling us that the Sage is full of crap and to use the reverse of whatever ruling he dictates :P

I played it once with a paladin base. Battle Blessing is really nice. If you use the pally spells from Spell Compendium, its a lot better. Rhino's Rush, Knight's Move, Rightous Fury, and Favor of the Martyr are all very nice spells.

My build was:

Pal4/Cru1/RKV10/Pal2/Cru3. This gets you 1 9th level maneuver (Strike of Righteous Vitality) with your 4th level swap.

Alternatively, knock off the last 3 levels of RKV for 3 more levels of Crusader. This nets you Stance of Immortal Fortitude at 20 at the expense of 3 levels of paladin spellcasting (no 4th level spells).

Get some really nice Shadow Hand maneuvers, and you can grab Shadow Blink by about level 16 I think. A neat combo then is to Knight's Move teleport in (swift), Full Attack (Full Round), then Divine Impetus Shadow Blink (swift) to get in, get out, and still get a full attack in. There are a ton of other combos as well.

Unfortunately, VERY MAD, but c'est la vie with a Paladin...

Deth Muncher
2008-12-09, 01:11 PM
It's a pity Azerian Kamellion isn't around anymore. He used to have this awesome Thread Necromancy MTG card he'd throw up.

Frerezar
2008-12-09, 01:25 PM
i figured the math would be a bit off. Sacruifizing fluff would be the way o go then. Just grab swordsage instead of crusader and then it would work. Grab a feat that makes those epsky knowledge skills class skills and then go to town and buy yourself some nteligence haha

Toxic Avenger
2008-12-09, 01:34 PM
It's a pity Azerian Kamellion isn't around anymore. He used to have this awesome Thread Necromancy MTG card he'd throw up.Are you talking about...

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c63/Reyalskrad/raise_thread.jpg

...this one? :smallbiggrin:

Douglas
2008-12-09, 01:35 PM
Let's see, where's that picture...

Aha!
http://www.game-warden.com/starfox/Non_SF_related_stuff/JS47/Thread_Necromancy.jpg

Deth Muncher
2008-12-09, 01:37 PM
@ Doug and TA: Neither of those were what I was talking about, but both are hilarious!