PDA

View Full Version : Best non-exotic bludgeoning weapon

Yogibear41
2013-10-07, 01:29 PM
Whats the best martial/simple bludgeoning weapon I can get? Are the warhammer and greatclub the best or is there one that I am missing?

fishyfishyfishy
2013-10-07, 01:35 PM
I like the morning star. Bludgeoning and piercing damage and can be welded in two hands for power attack if you want.

Fax Celestis
2013-10-07, 01:39 PM
There's the lucerne hammer: 2d4 for Medium creatures (1d6 for Small), reach, x4 crit, bludgeoning or slashing.

There's also Evard's menacing tentacles in PHB-II.

Artillery
2013-10-07, 01:43 PM
Morningstar 1-handed Simple 1d8 and bludgeoning and piercing. 6lb
Heavy Flail 2-handed Martial 1d10 19-20/x2 bludgeoning. 20lb.
Lucerne Hammer from Dragon Magazine, 2-handed Martial 2d4 bludgeoning with reach. 10lb

HalfQuart
2013-10-07, 05:26 PM
There's also the Maul from CW for 1d10 x3

For future reference, this Ginormous List of Weapons for D&D 3.5 (http://rodriguezvaughn.com/geekspeak/index.php?topic=133.0) is pretty handy.

ArcturusV
2013-10-07, 05:31 PM
Heck, I like the regular club. Can still two hand it. It's free, so there's no reason not to ever have one for when your low level party runs into Skeletons or something. And in a pinch it's a thrown weapon. Because sometimes you just want to reach out and deal bludgeoning damage at 30 feet away but don't want to shell out for Throwing Hammers.

Granted the benefits of a club start to wane as you get magic gear and such. But it's there, it's cheap, and at low levels (1 to 3 typically) I find it indispensable as a back up.

herrhauptmann
2013-10-07, 06:14 PM
Executioners Mace. Dungeon Magazine somewhere.
2d6 20x3. BP or BS.

Thurbane
2013-10-08, 06:07 PM
This thread makes a good argument for the greatclub: Not called GREAT Club for nothing (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49522)

OldTrees1
2013-10-08, 07:47 PM
Definitely the Morningstar. While the greatclub deals 1 size more damage, a morningstar benefits from increased versatility.
1) 2 damage types: Not only does this help vs some DR but it can benefit from more things like Feats(Melee Weapon Mastery :smallsmile:, Crushing Blows :smallsmile: and Driving Attack :smallfrown:) and special options like Diving Attack :smallbiggrin: (x2 damage for piercing on a flying charge)
2) 1 handed: This means you can switch between two handed fighting and sword and board. (Usually being in two handed of course :smallbiggrin:)
3) Like the Greatclub but unlike the Lucerne hammer, the Morning Star can cause Nausea :smallbiggrin: via a Weapon Style feat.

ben-zayb
2013-10-08, 08:10 PM
I'd agree with you and say the Warhammer (1H) and Greatclub (2H) are the best 1st party non-exotic weapons in their respective handedness.

LOL Are you looking for weapons to Wallop? That's practically the reason why I happen to know these two are the best.

SoraWolf7
2013-10-08, 10:41 PM
Get a light Mace, flavor it as a frying pan. Watch your horse wield it in his teeth.

Dusk Eclipse
2013-10-08, 10:53 PM
Definitely the Morningstar. While the greatclub deals 1 size more damage, a morningstar benefits from increased versatility.
1) 2 damage types: Not only does this help vs some DR but it can benefit from more things like Feats(Melee Weapon Mastery :smallsmile:, Crushing Blows :smallsmile: and Driving Attack :smallfrown:) and special options like Diving Attack :smallbiggrin: (x2 damage for piercing on a flying charge)
2) 1 handed: This means you can switch between two handed fighting and sword and board. (Usually being in two handed of course :smallbiggrin:)
3) Like the Greatclub but unlike the Lucerne hammer, the Morning Star can cause Nausea :smallbiggrin: via a Weapon Style feat.

Executioner's Mace is Morningstar on steroids, higher base damage (2d6) and can benefit from all the feats you mentioned and more (it can deal B&S or B&P) and for gishes it can benefit from greater mighty wallop (Sinze increase per 3 CL) AND whirling blade, just awesome.

Sure it is from a weird source (Dungoen Mag), but if you have access to it and you weren't going for reach anyway it is a no-brainer.

Plus it looks freaking awesome http://www.komarckart.com/cov_32.jpg

mabriss lethe
2013-10-08, 11:46 PM
The Maquahuitl (MM4, P. 89) Fits the bill. It's a martial weapon, 1d10, X2 crit, Bludgeoning/Piercing.

Curmudgeon
2013-10-09, 02:44 AM
That would be your unarmed strike. It's got all sorts of special treatment in the rules. That special treatment is both a detriment (requiring an extra feat just for basic use: Improved Unarmed Strike) and an advantage (can't be sundered, can't be disarmed, has many special feats like Snap Kick).