PDA

View Full Version : [IC] Map & Compass

faircoin
2013-10-07, 02:48 PM
http://i.imgur.com/ySwSpOG.jpg?1

Everyone

It was midnight, five nights before the Mid-Autumn Festival. The sky above the glade was clear, and a cool, gentle breeze would periodically rustle the needles of the evergreen pines. There was a lake, its surface still and mirror-like, reflecting the moon and the stars above.

In the middle of the glade, by the lake, was a large bonfire. It burned brightly in the night.

A woman stood by the bonfire, admiring the scenery. Her black hair was tied into a practical bun. She was dressed in a cloak. She was leaning on a greatsword.

This was her. Case Officer Isolde of the Special Warfare branch. Her facial features were consistent with General Nathaniel's description.

The player characters enter here.

Phelix-Mu
2013-10-08, 09:19 PM
Darsha

Hmm, the government, she thinks as she moves briskly through the forest. She stops and picks fragments of dead pine branches from her hair; she can barely see her flame-red forelock. The smell of this place; moist earth, open air, and the enclosing fragrance of the pines. A nice change of pace from her usual city haunts.

Her feelings are mixed. The project she was part of saved her from the gods only know of street life. She received skills, purpose, and a will to live for herself. But, intellectually, she knows they used her, abused her, and then, when things started to fall apart, they tried to get rid of her for good.

I owe them no favors, she thinks.

She smells something on the breeze. Smoke.

Hard-learned caution and training kick in. In an instant, she is airborne, dozens of feet above the ground, leaping through the canopy. She approaches the site of the bonfire cautiously, well out of sight of the casual observer.

Darsha expends a use of ki power to activate levitate, as per Leaping Dragon, duration six minutes. She takes 10 on Jump checks (total 32), and makes her way through the air, 30' above the ground (or however high she needs to be to be able to Hide among the trees). Hide check = +17= [roll0].

Reaching the clearing, she confirms the identity of the contact with a sleight twinge of disappointment. Such a night...perfect for a fight, she thinks, admiring the flickering shadows cast by the flames as they leap up into the night.

But she banishes the thought from her mind, and sets about observing the terrain from her perch. She watches and listens for any other arrivals.

Spot- take 10= 20, Listen- take 10= 21.

When her power's duration expires, she falls gracefully to the ground. Without moving from that spot, she ceases the effort of hiding, pushing back her cowl, the folds of her midnight blue monk robes blending in with the darkness.

She silently awaits for what may come, shuriken in hand, watching the dancing flames reflected in its metallic surface.

TiaC
2013-10-08, 11:12 PM
A tall man walks through the forest. His draconic appearance and wings mark him as a member of The Order of the Scale, defenders of the realm. His transformation left him with eyebrows and a beard on his chin, making his face reminiscent of a Gold dragon's. He walks with confidence, assured that he has nothing to fear and nothing to hide.

'It has been some time since I have followed another's commands, but this seems to be a good cause.' He thinks back on his last year of travels and the many evils he has seen. Still, this stood out, for a man tasked with the protection of his people to order a massacre, it was an abomination.

As he enters the clearing, he greets the one awaiting him with a hand over his chest and a shallow bow. "Greetings, Case Officer, I am Eldric Iberhardt, Knight Captain of the Order of The Scale. I have responded to General Nathaniel's summons and offer you my aid. I stand ready to hunt down this fugitive who has committed crimes against decency." Despite his ordered and militaristic speech, his eyes flash with anger at the mention of Lord Damsev.
Diplomacy:[roll0]

DanteTheDragon
2013-10-09, 06:26 AM
Bachus walked through the forest wondering to himself about what the future will bring. Hed been through many hardships, many battles, and his body had shown examples of these things time and time again, scars running across his chest back and stomach, but surprisingly he did not have any across his arms.

Hed been cut and wounded many a time on his arms from blades and weapons of all shapes and sizes, even catching an arrow once clean through the muscle but none of these ever left a scar. His arms looked untouched and the tattoos had never been ruined. He never questioned this assuming It was a gift that his mother added to his tattoos when he was a young child. But even more so than the ability to remove the scars on his arms he was grateful that he had them because they where the only thing he had left to remind him of his mother, well that and his little sister. She look so much like her.

Snapping back to reality he kept going searching for signs to lead him to the meeting place. He wasnt told where the meeting place was going to be...well not exactly. They had written it down on a piece of paper for him but he never had the opportunity to tell him that he was never taught how to read.

So here he was following there trail and wondering how dangerous this 'Lord' Damsev would be to find acquire and bring back to the city. He heard the risks where great but the potential rewards where also great, and if there was anything he could do to give his little sister a better life hed do it in a heart beat.

Tracking the others to the meeting place
[roll0]
edit: Omg a natural 1 XD i knew i should have taken ten but i told myself nooo id rather toll. thatll teach me lol.

It wasnt difficult following them at all, they weren't really trying to hide there presence all that much, It unnerved him a little simply because of the thought that someone may be trying to do this to him in the future if he stayed on this job.

Finally making it to the clearing with the bonfire, Bachus looked around In case they are being watched
[roll1]
then acknowledged His case officer with a bow of respect simply saying My name is Bachus, Its a pleasure to meet you miss. I apologize for being late....complications arose. He then removed his travelers cape folding it as he sat down on a nearby log adjusting his greatsword as he did so. He made very sure that he took care of it and cleaned and polished it often, It was very special to him and it was polished enough to reflect the campfire light brightly. He looked around at the others waiting for Officer Isolde to begin to brief them on there job.

NM020110
2013-10-09, 08:13 AM
Resting on a tree branch above the clearing, optical camouflage active to prevent accidents, Nitori wrote.

This is written in a constructed language shared by Rika and Nitori. You'll want a decipher script roll if you're somehow reading this.

It looks like the group is getting together here. There's the case officer, an Order of the Scale member, and a tattooed man with a greatsword so far.

Rolling up the scroll and placing it in her hard leather scrollcase, Nitori turned to look more closely over the assembled.

So far, this wasn't looking like it would be a stealth mission.

Hide: Take 10: 12+40(invisible)=52.
Move Silently: Covered by silence effect.

BassWalker
2013-10-09, 09:28 AM
The gargantuan of a man waded through the forest, gliding with ease through the trees despite his size and moving towards the bright point of light that was the nearby bonfire. This man was Van'Baelrah, guardian of these natural lands and true ascetic if ever there were one.

Taking no effort to be as... stealthy as any others, the Half-Ogre's bulk broke the treeline with little fanfare. His long muzzle bothered with no words as it looked over those who had gathered, pale orchid eyes glinting eerily in the flickering light. In his hand was a simple staff, though it looked as though it were nothing more than a felled sapling, if not a branch taken off a tree; tied to it was a large cloth sack, but there were no contents within to speak of. He stayed some distance from the fire, blocking it from his view with a palm for it strained his eyes.

"G'evening," He spoke in a gruff, low voice and nodded his head to each that was present, even the red-haired woman a short distance away.

Phelix-Mu
2013-10-09, 11:44 AM
Darsha

Ah, teammates, she thinks to herself. Like a good ol' song, but one that's been played too often; just when you think you've gotten rid of it for good, it pops back into your head unbidden, only to drive you mad.

She steps forward out of the shadows, her small form moving gracefully.

"When it's necessary to address me, I answer to 'Darsha.'" She makes a point of looking into the elevated eyeline of the tall men that surround her. "Only 'Darsha.' I'd rather appreciate it if you didn't make a habit of speaking to me in the first place." She casts her gaze in the direction of the tree where Nitori is perched.

Unless there is a reason for her to have it down, Darsha's blndsense is always up. Range 30', but it's not defeated by silence. I'm totally unclear on the interaction of the abilities that Nitori is using, but Darsha can probably tell that there is a gap between what she "sees" and hears from Nitori's direction. We should iron that out, as it's always nice to have a stealth technique that allies can bypass, but enemies can't.

It's not clear if it's just tall men in particular that don't scare her, but she certainly is not even fazed by her new teammates.

NM020110
2013-10-09, 01:00 PM
The Optical Camouflage currently projects an illusion removing Nitori from the senses of sight, sound, touch, smell, and taste(you never know...) while she is within five feet of it. Since you have a sense that isn't covered by the illusion, you can make a DC 52 skill check against each component using the relevant skills once per day, with a +5 bonus for every sense you have that isn't covered and you can detect with.

If you do manage to beat the illusion, you can switch it on or off as a free action; it's like an optical illusion at that point.

If you didn't have your extra sense, there wouldn't be an issue here.

Well someone is observant. I'll have to find out how she saw though the Camouflage later, but for now...well, let's send this message off first then join in.

As the Camouflage deactivates, a girl fades into view approximately twenty feet up the tree. She is dressed in a rather blue dress with a green hat. As she turns she drops a quill into one of her many pockets, despite the quill being rather larger than said pocket.

"Kawashiro Nitori, at your service!"

Nitori doesn't drop down to join the group, but does lean forward to look interested.

DanteTheDragon
2013-10-09, 05:04 PM
Noticing the Half-Ogres predicament, Bachus scooted over removing his greatsword he began looking it over making sure it was in it's best condition. It looks like im going to need new leather for the handle it's starting to tear a little on the edges. It should last a month or so though Taking out his things he began the process of caring for the edge of his blade making sure it was sharp enough to cleave and slice but not sharp enough to break apart and chip if hit to hard.

Motioning to him to take a seat he said Here you can look behind us into the forest and listen to the conversation, better than holding your hand in front of your face through the whole thing and It's safer this way.

BassWalker
2013-10-09, 05:18 PM
"Thank you," Again, his gruff voice broke the night air. After a moment spent blinking, he lowered the hand to reveal that his eyes had lost some of the yellow gleam from their centers. "I prefer to stand."

faircoin
2013-10-09, 10:03 PM
Darsha Emberstorm, Kawashiro Nitori, Van'Baelrah, Eldric Iberhardt, and Bachus

Your spot and listen rolls do not catch anything that you cannot already see or hear.

Your spot roll does not catch anything that you cannot already see.

Isolde turned to face the arrivals and looked over each of them. "Well," she said, "let's delay introductions for now. We're still waiting on one person. It's uncanny you all arrived at nearly the same time."

She inhaled and exhaled. "Beautiful view, isn't it? Travelers don't often come here; it's too remote. The bonfire's been attracting animals all night, though. Foxes, rabbits, wildcats. The like."

She adjusted the clip holding her hair in a bun. "If you have any questions before we begin, now's the time to ask."

Phelix-Mu
2013-10-09, 10:30 PM
Darsha

"What exactly are the terms of our employment?" she asks the instant Isolde opens it up for questions. "When do we get paid? Any conditions? Do we get to keep the loot? Are there any other goals aside from the capture of the target? Is his condition upon delivery important?"

Darsha looks at Isolde with piercing gaze, trying to gauge the intelligence of the case officer with the flurry of questions.

"And the view is nice; makes me wish I could see more of it," she adds in a more subdued tone before Isolde can respond.

faircoin
2013-10-09, 11:29 PM
Darsha Emberstorm, Kawashiro Nitori, Van'Baelrah, Eldric Iberhardt, and Bachus

"It's best to discuss these subjects when everyone's arrived," said Isolde. "For now, I'm able to answer questions not task-related."

Phelix-Mu
2013-10-10, 12:34 AM
Darsha

"Then what is your favorite color? Your favorite drink? What is it that everyone sees in greatswords? Are you seeing someone at the moment, or otherwise spoken for?"

Whoa, Darsha thinks. Where'd that last one come from?

Still aiming to judge Isolde's intellect, Darsha had intended to rattle off some random inquiries. Sometimes the randomness of her subconscious really troubled her.

She brushes her forelock out of her eyes, and stares into the fire; biting her lip, suddenly nervous, she half hopes that Isolde won't answer.

TiaC
2013-10-10, 04:06 AM
Eldric blinks, thrown for a moment by that last question. 'For one who does not wish to be spoken to, she certainly asks a lot of questions.' he thinks.

He then asks a question of his own "Why was this chosen as our meeting place? It can't be just for the view, beautiful as it is."

DanteTheDragon
2013-10-10, 06:02 AM
What is it that everyone sees in greatswords?
Bachus chuckled a little at her questions as he continued with his work. You will see given time small one. It may not be what you expect to be but in the right hands most anything can fall to a Greatsword and if not then you either get magic or run away.

I don't know if you have or have not been in a war though looking up at her briefly you dont look like you have been in one from the way you are equipped but Greatswords especially ones that are well made have been know to cleave through armor and bone very easily. Other blades tend to rupture and break apart if you try that with them.

Shivering a little to himself he quieted down. Remembering about war was never a good thing and it showed at times.

Pseudo_Nym
2013-10-10, 12:02 PM
SELEMYR

An elderly elf runs in, thin to the point of malnurishment, looking rather winded from the exertion. Within moments, he recovers and straightens himself, looking around the group. His skin is gray as ash. His clothing is dark, including a black and silver cloak, and he wears a silver crown. His eyes twinkle kindly.

"Not too late, I hope? Had a little trouble finding the place. Demons are terrible with directions; I'll ask a devil next time." He gives a friendly smile. "Name's Sel." He bows dramatically, then starts to look serious. "What'd I miss?"

DanteTheDragon
2013-10-10, 01:44 PM
looking over the man What a thin creature. He should eat more it looks like hed break with a stiff enough wind. Bachus started putting his equipment away he was done making sure it was alright for the most part and it would be rude to make to much noise among the talking. Shiething his sword and placing it back on its resting place leaning by the tree he said. You didnt miss much, we had decided to wait upon your arrival. We can begin now i asssume.

BassWalker
2013-10-10, 02:21 PM
"Aye," Van'Baelrah nodded in agreement, also looking in bewilderment at the Elf's frail appearance. To the woman, "If I may, 'less there is another yet to arrive, what all does this task entail? I don' imagine that we were told everythin'."

faircoin
2013-10-10, 03:21 PM
Everyone

"Then what is your favorite color? Your favorite drink? What is it that everyone sees in greatswords? Are you seeing someone at the moment, or otherwise spoken for?"

Isolde stared at Darsha. She said, "Uh, one at a time. Let's see. My favorite color is blue. My favorite drink is hot chocolate. I don't know what others see in greatswords, but with Parierhaken the greatsword is effective against pikes, which are generally overused in contemporary militaries."

She ignored Darsha's last question with a lopsided smile.

~~~~~~~~

"Why was this chosen as our meeting place? It can't be just for the view, beautiful as it is."

"Lord Damsev's scouts are numerous," said Isolde. "But here—I don't think the scouts know of this place. The pines will cover the light of the bonfire from afar. Not that being spotted is necessarily dangerous; we look like adventurers as is. But it's best we avoid attention whenever possible."

~~~~~~~~

I don't know if you have or have not been in a war though. You dont look like you have been in one from the way you are equipped but Greatswords especially ones that are well made have been know to cleave through armor and bone very easily. Other blades tend to rupture and break apart if you try that with them.

"I'm always willing to discuss combat theory," said Isolde, "but now's not the time."

~~~~~~~~

"Not too late, I hope? Had a little trouble finding the place. Demons are terrible with directions; I'll ask a devil next time. Name's Sel. What'd I miss?"

"You're not late," said Isolde. "Nor did you miss anything important."

~~~~~~~~

"If I may, 'less there is another yet to arrive, what all does this task entail? I don' imagine that we were told everythin'."

Isolde looked around. Addressing everyone, she said, "Alright, I think we're ready to begin. Listen up. General Nathaniel probably told you who I am. I am Case Officer Isolde. You all come highly recommended for your talents, so it's probably unnecessary for me to walk you through training. Our task is to bring Lord Damsev back to the capital to face trial for his crimes. Failing that, we may execute him on the spot. As a personal preference, I'd like to avoid the latter, but if it's unavoidable, I understand.

"Lord Damsev is a capable warrior and a veteran of many battles, but this shouldn't be a problem, since presumably most of us are also competent and experienced. What worries me is our lack of information. We know very little of Lord Damsev currently. We don't know Castle Arbhun's security detail. We don't know where Lord Damsev is hiding. We don't know how loyal his people are to him. We don't know much of anything about him or his situation. We are effectively walking in blind.

"What we do know is that, historically, Lord Damsev has always been present at Hewick's Mid-Autumn Festival celebrations. Whether he shows up this time is anyone's guess. As Case Officer, I will be running communications with the Imperial Army in Cantal. Stay in contact. When you have secured or killed Lord Damsev, return to this glade. You will be paid, in total, a sum of nine hundred platinum, and six bags of holding to carry the coins.

"One question I'll answer preemptively, as I'm sure it'll be asked, is why we know so little of Lord Damsev. The Imperial Institute for Intelligence has never considered him of any importance, and with such short notice since Lord Damsev's descent into war criminal status, they have not been able to develop any agents in the Hewick or Castle Arbhun region. We are, in fact, the first—you can consider us the first agents in this region. That aside, even through magic we're not able to learn much of Lord Damsev. The Institute for Intelligence's divination specialists tell me that Lord Damsev is protected against divinations.

"That's it. If you've any task-related questions, ask them now."

Phelix-Mu
2013-10-10, 03:46 PM
Darsha

So, research, recon, and capture or kill, she thinks. Sounds suspiciously straightforward.

Swallowing her embarrassment, Darsha forges ahead.

"So, you addressed payment," she says to Isolde. "What about loot? Will Lord Damsev's lands and possessions be forfeit to the state, or may we have first pick of the lot?"

She begins to circle the bonfire slowly, standing perilously close to its edge. The pain from the heat...the chill of the breeze. A study in contrasts. She takes the opportunity to get an up-close look at her companions in the firelight as she listens to Isolde's reply.

TiaC
2013-10-10, 03:54 PM
Eldric asks "If he remains in his castle, why is an army not being sent against him? A small force such as this can hunt a fugitive, but will find it difficult to fell a castle."

faircoin
2013-10-10, 04:32 PM
Everyone

"What about loot? Will Lord Damsev's lands and possessions be forfeit to the state, or may we have first pick of the lot?"

"You understand," said Isolde, "there are no conventions in our field of work. Legally, what I suspect may happen is that, if and when Lord Damsev faces trial, his regent will temporarily take his place as ruler. Then, if and when Lord Damsev is executed, his eldest son will inherit Castle Arbhun and the title of Baron. With the passing of Lord Damsev's leadership, so goes his property and possessions. Contrary to popular belief, working as clandestine agents for the Special Warfare branch does not give us a blank check to commit crimes, which means it would technically be illegal for us to 'loot'. That said, the Military Court has always turned a blind eye to our activities. I can't draw a line at how much 'looting' is appropriate, but if you don't do it too much, you won't be punished."

~~~~~~~~

"If he remains in his castle, why is an army not being sent against him? A small force such as this can hunt a fugitive, but will find it difficult to fell a castle."

"Indeed," said Isolde, "if the Imperial Council had instead sent a dreadnought to Arbhun and demanded that Lord Damsev be handed over, even his most loyal knights would unhesitatingly comply. However, to march into a vassal's territory with the Imperial Army would show, among other things, internal instability. This would be a less-than-optimal outcome. It's best done covertly, with Lord Damsev quietly removed from his seat of power."

Pseudo_Nym
2013-10-10, 04:48 PM
Selemyr smiles. Between not being late, dealing with professionals, and hearing no objections to his casual mention of fiendbinding, he has reason to. He chuckles, not unkindly, at the armored man's question. To Isolde's reply, he adds, "It's politics, boy. Swore I'd never get mixed up in them, but this is a special case."

He turns to Isolde. "What's our timetable look like? The faster we move the better, of course, but are we being hired to spend a week on reconnaissance and another on setting a trap, or just to run in blind and... improvise?" He puts a funny kind of emphasis on the last word. One might get the impression his "improvisations" tend to end in large amounts of fire.

BassWalker
2013-10-10, 05:10 PM
Van'Baelrah nodded occassionally as he listened to the woman speak of their task. He couldn't help but to feel a bit of contempt for the red-haired one's questions of looting and fortune, but that couldn't be helped. Such trivialities and work such as this attracted the type, after all.

"Pardon me, Draconic one," He spoke to the one known as Eldric. "But I think we can use the festival. If this Lord is to attend, then we can take him without trouble. And without stormin' a castle." He looked at the woman Knight again. "Or am I mistaken about a detail?"

Phelix-Mu
2013-10-10, 06:05 PM
Darsha

Isolde seems quite knowledgeable about this brand of covert work, Darsha thinks with a slight smile. Bodes well.

And she could hardly complain about the "policy" on looting.

Still pacing around the fire, she begins to form impressions of the mannerisms and personalities of her companions. The better with which to allow predictions of their early performance capabilities and tendencies.

At the mention of a move to action and "improvisation" by the pale elf, Darsha sighs loudly. Improvisation, she thinks. Ah, mmm. A warm, fuzzy feeling fills her at the thought of recklessly running in, flying by the seat of her pants, and somehow, against all odds, surviving and succeeding.

She mentally pinches herself. And does a quick backflip to focus her nerves.

faircoin
2013-10-10, 06:06 PM
Everyone

"What's our timetable look like? The faster we move the better, of course, but are we being hired to spend a week on reconnaissance and another on setting a trap, or just to run in blind and... improvise?"

Isolde said, "Unfortunately, I don't think even the Imperial Council knows how long they're willing to put up with this sort of covert action. On a whim, they might decide to drop us tomorrow. Or perhaps they won't mind us working here for a year (I certainly hope we don't have to, though). These are the kinds of bureaucratic uncertainties inherent in this line of work."

~~~~~~~~

"Or am I mistaken about a detail?"

"Strictly speaking," said Isolde, "we don't know if Lord Damsev will be attending the upcoming Festival celebrations. All we know is that he has consistently attended them in the past."

Phelix-Mu
2013-10-10, 06:09 PM
Darsha

"Either way," she chimes in with the big one, "the festival will be an excellent venue for gathering info. Large amounts of drink. Widespread time away from work obligations. Lots of non-judgmental strangers to complain to. Tongues will wag."

Teammates usually slowed down her tempo. But with such a wide-ranging group, maybe there will be operational gaps big enough for her to do her normal schtick and get away with it.

BassWalker
2013-10-10, 06:16 PM
"It's best to assume his habits will hold, then." Van'Baelrah spoke slowly, his eyes distant as he thought. "If nothin' else, breakin' our way into the castle is a better back-up plan than none."

NM020110
2013-10-10, 06:24 PM
So, plan one seems to be to gab him while he's in public. Plan two is to storm the fort...right, neither option seems optimal. That fair is a publicly known vulnerability, so he'd be foolish not to have traps in place.

Well, let's float a few ideas...

Nitori draws two coins with identical markings, and flicks one across the clearing. When it reaches the ground, Nitori teleports to it.

"Given enough time, we could probably corner him, and given enough luck we could probably defeat him at the fair despite any traps that might be present. Might I suggest a third idea of luring him away from the majority of his guards, say for a business transaction?

"Also, regarding payment, might I request to provide my own method for transport of the platinum? If I'm remembering right, a proper bag of holding goes for 250 platinum at minimum, which would nearly be enough funding to commission a generator with. Certainly a good start towards making a personal flightpack."

DanteTheDragon
2013-10-10, 06:29 PM
Where is this place? How far? Will we be provided transportation or will we have to find our own? When does this festival start?

TiaC
2013-10-10, 06:34 PM
'Politics at its worst, they're too worried about external threats to make an example of him. Fools, internal strife is a far greater danger to the empire.' Eldric thinks with a shake of his head.

To Selemyr he says "You mentioned a bound fiend? I too can conjure beings that are generally evil, and compel them to do good. If we were to strike against him at the festival, the use of summoned minions could allow us to do so without risk."

"In any case, my order's reputation may allow me entrance into the castle. His own actions have removed any shield that honor may have offered him."

Phelix-Mu
2013-10-10, 06:42 PM
Darsha

"I'm actually fairly good at impersonating Tall Folk for a short period," she adds. "If there are guards with him, perhaps one of them could...go missing...and I'd fill in. It's not terribly believable. Isolde, what kind of reputation did this man have in the past? Military genius? Fool with a title?"

faircoin
2013-10-10, 07:11 PM
Everyone

"Given enough time, we could probably corner him, and given enough luck we could probably defeat him at the fair despite any traps that might be present. Might I suggest a third idea of luring him away from the majority of his guards, say for a business transaction?

"Also, regarding payment, might I request to provide my own method for transport of the platinum? If I'm remembering right, a proper bag of holding goes for 250 platinum at minimum, which would nearly be enough funding to commission a generator with. Certainly a good start towards making a personal flightpack."

"Hmm," said Isolde, "I've already requisitioned your payments. I'll see what I can do, but nothing's guaranteed."

~~~~~~~~

Where is this place? How far? Will we be provided transportation or will we have to find our own? When does this festival start?

"Hewick and Arbhun are a day's journey northeast of here," said Isolde. "That's assuming you take the road, of course. Your transportation will be your feet, unless you happen to have mounts or carriages with you. The Festival celebration starts five nights from now."

~~~~~~~~

"Isolde, what kind of reputation did this man have in the past? Military genius? Fool with a title?"

"Prior to his transgressions," said Isolde, "Lord Damsev wasn't well known. Previously, he had a reputation only among the townsfolk of Hewick. And, of course, now all people talk about is his attacking the caravan. I'm afraid I don't know more."

Phelix-Mu
2013-10-10, 07:26 PM
Darsha

"Previously little known nobleman suddenly goes berserk and has dozens murdered with little cause. We should consider that he may either a.) have gone mad, or b.), and much more troubling, he is perhaps being manipulated. Sudden suspicious change in behavior is suspicious, regardless of whatever 'feud' is said to be the cause."

Darsha thinks a moment.

"Is there any confirmation of the nature of this feud that led to the escalation and war crimes?"

faircoin
2013-10-10, 08:19 PM
Everyone

"Is there any confirmation of the nature of this feud that led to the escalation and war crimes?"

"There was indeed a feud," said Isolde. "Lord Bertio, of Castle Lielvarde, ruler of the towns of Huybrook, Ardham, Bamor, and Eodford. Owner of the Emperor's Folly Trading Company. They say that Lord Damsev was jealous of Lord Bertio's commercial success, and in his rage attacked a caravan full of merchants and pilgrims from Ardham."

~~~~~~~~

"If that's all for questions," said Isolde, "I'll be going. Well?"

TiaC
2013-10-10, 11:33 PM
"What if anything can you tell us about the forces he has on hand? How many subjects does he have?" Asks Eldric.

faircoin
2013-10-11, 01:04 AM
Everyone

"What if anything can you tell us about the forces he has on hand? How many subjects does he have?"

"Let's see," said Isolde. "Off the top of my head... Hewick has a population of around eight thousand. Its ground forces are approximately five hundred strong. And its navy is ten ships."

DanteTheDragon
2013-10-11, 01:33 AM
Well then i suggest we rest for the night and begin our trek in the morning. Unless you wish to start traveling now. I dont mind it but you people may want to rest first. We could rest here or the city or we can go. With that he stood waiting for there decision.

Pseudo_Nym
2013-10-11, 10:39 AM
The old elf laughs brightly. "Who needs sleep? You can rest when we get there, while the more vivacious of us start our investigation." He clearly considers himself in the latter group, despite his age and apparant fragiility. He smiles. "Whatever you all want's fine, though. Couldn't hurt to spend some time working out our collective strengths and weaknesses. And names. I don't think I caught all of yours. I'm Sel, again. Or Selemyr Falaren, if you feel like wasting syllables. I'm an actor, a scholar, and a summoner of demons." He grins sheepishly.

faircoin
2013-10-11, 12:18 PM
Everyone

"Alright, everyone," said Isolde, "I've got more work to do. Good luck. I'll see you in a few days."

She took out a foot-long, gold-tipped iron rod, struck it, and dropped it on the ground. Then she threw a marble-sized pellet into the bonfire. A gush of water came out of nowhere and immediately the bonfire was put out, leaving a wet, smoking, and charred stack of firewood. "Take the sunrod with you when you leave," she said. "Or destroy it." She walked into the tree line and disappeared from view, carrying her greatsword like a spear on her shoulders.

BassWalker
2013-10-11, 01:40 PM
Having remained silent while he thought, Van'Baelrah finally spoke up after the woman had left. To be honest, the lack of the fire's light was almost soothing now, as his eyes regained their previous reflective gleam.

"I prefer to move at night. Anyone else?" While he awaited answers from the group, his eyes craned skyward to discern northeast, and the direction of their travels.

Phelix-Mu
2013-10-11, 02:26 PM
Darsha

She, too, missed the fire.

"It matters little to me," she said, getting used to being practically blind again. At least the moon was out and the sky was clear. "Daylight will aid in some aspects of navigation, but I'm not sure I want to be openly seen with the rest of you."

Rather, I'm certain that I don't want to be seen with the rest of you, she thinks, hoping no one can see her roll her eyes heavily. But they probably can.

Pseudo_Nym
2013-10-11, 03:32 PM
"Not seen? With a jolly old elf like me?" His black cloak billows, and the starlight gleams menacingly from his silver crown. He nods. "Probably wise. Normally, I'd advise splitting up. Making our own ways, so no one learns of our... conspiracy. But I don't like doing dangerous missions with strangers, and this is a perfect chance to get to know one another."

A pause.

"Plus, I might get lost again."

faircoin
2013-10-11, 03:35 PM
Everyone

To the northeast were more pine forests, and out of those forests in the far distance rose an enormous snow-capped mountain.

Phelix-Mu
2013-10-11, 04:54 PM
Darsha

"Hi, Sel. I'm Darsha," she says in a mechanical monotone. "I am a trained assassin. I don't like people, and prefer to work alone."

She smiles in what she hopes is the elf's direction, her red eyes glinting deviously in the moonlight.

"Welcome to the group."

DanteTheDragon
2013-10-11, 05:28 PM
Lifting up his sword off its rest against the tree he strapped it back onto his back grabbing his cape he put it on allowing it to settle over his shoulders and covering his arms from view while allowing some warmth to be held. Nodding in the elfs direction he said.

My name is Bachus, I am a swordsman a hunter and a tracker and i expect we will have quite a bit of trouble on this job. The ones that sound the simplest are usually the ones that go bad quickly

Lifting up his pack off the ground he put one arm through the loop. He never put a pack on fully. If they where ever ambushed itd take to long to get the pack off both shoulders past the sword and the cape. He learned that the hard way. This way he can just drop his arm effectively lowering the pack to the ground almost instantly.

TiaC
2013-10-11, 08:17 PM
Looking around at the others, Eldric says "I am Sir Eldric Iberhardt of the Knights of the Scale. I was one of the first commanders sent to Erias and one of the last to leave. I will happily travel with Mister Falaren, showing him the way is the least I can do."

He gives Sel a faint smile 'I do hope that he does not bear me ill will for my part in the invasion.' he thinks.

BassWalker
2013-10-12, 11:39 AM
Again, the Half-Ogre found himself liking the Monk less with each new piece of information learned of her.

"I am Van'Baelrah." He added his own name to those given for the sake of familiarity, and then he turned and started northeast. "I know these lands well, if any wish for a guide."

DanteTheDragon
2013-10-12, 07:38 PM
We can finish the introductions later for now we should go the sooner we get there the more information we can get to help us.

With that he started walking besides Van'Baelrah

Phelix-Mu
2013-10-12, 09:12 PM
Darsha

The wispling follows the others, keeping a bit of a distance. Just enough that they are within her perception.

Only the elf and gadget girl over there seem likeable, she thinks. Then again, I'm a terrible judge of character.

Pseudo_Nym
2013-10-12, 10:04 PM
He gives Sel a faint smile 'I do hope that he does not bear me ill will for my part in the invasion.' he thinks.

"None at all, Sir Knight. And quite excellent to meet you all, despite the circumstances."

As they travel, he strikes up friendly conversation whenever appropriate, especially about people's histories and skillsets. He never pries, however, and changes victims backs off immediately if his presence seems unwanted. He seems well intentioned, if nothing else; he acts, in general, like a harmless elderly relative you only see once a year. His outfit looks increasingly like an ill-fitting costume, and it's easier to think of him brewing tea than slinging spells on a battlefield.

"You mentioned summoning, Sir Eldric? I must confess to a certain fascination with the field. Divine magic, by the armor, then? Not that there's anything wrong with that, of course. I'd love to hear more about your conjurations, or your order." He smiles.

faircoin
2013-10-12, 10:26 PM
Everyone

Assuming everyone heads towards Hewick. The following occurs when the player characters are all done with their interactions in the glade.

The group left the glade (leaving the sunrod behind?), traveling northeast in the direction of Hewick. For about an hour they walked through a pine forest in the dark, with the immensely tall evergreen canopy blocking out the moon and the stars, before emerging onto a dirt road which went in the direction of Hewick. Two more hours of travel on the dirt road across gently sloping hills under the clear night sky brought the group to a fragrant-smelling river of clear mountain water. Surrounding the river banks were beds of purple flowers. On one side of the river was the dirt road and the pine forest's tree line. On the other side was an immense grassy plain which seemed to extend all the way to the horizon. In the distance, on the horizon, was a snow-capped mountain range.

By the riverbank was a campfire, two tents, and seventeen sleeping sheep huddled near one of the tents. A male human sat watch on a rock at the campfire. He was dressed in a traveling cloak. A longsword was leaning on the rock he sat on. He was looking in the group's (the player characters') direction. He was quiet and motionless. All of the sheep were still asleep.

The distance from the group to the campfire and tents is about a hundred feet.

DanteTheDragon
2013-10-12, 11:14 PM
Bachus looked in the direction of the camp smiling at the sheep as they slept looking like little white clouds resting on the hills.

Sheep herders. Theres a lookout in case any wolves or thieves attempt to take sheep. Not unusual. Although they usually have bows instead of swords...how odd. Would anyone like to try and ask them where they come from? If there herding sheep there must be a city nearby. It may be from the castle we are heading to. I suggest Selemyr gives it a try. I doubt the man would enjoy being approached by a man with the face of a dragon, a half ogre, a man with a sword as big as he is tall Looking around himself the tiny invisible one, wherever she may be, or an assassin, small as she may be. You would seem the least dangerous. We will stay close if anything happens of course.

(leaving the sunrod behind?)

Sorry I thought i wrote that i picked up the sun rod along with my pack but when i checked I saw i only wrote i picked up my pack. Please assume i picked up the sunrod as well.

Pseudo_Nym
2013-10-12, 11:57 PM
Selemyr shrugs. If no one stops him, he approaches the shepherd alone, his frail bony arms streched wide and clearly empty.

"Hello, young man! Spare a morsel of food for a traveling actor?" He sighs, wearily. "Got a little lost. My troupe's waiting for me in Hewick. I'll gladly recite a few lines from The Necromancer's Revenge: A Tragicomedy in Two Acts for my supper." His eyes light up, genuinely, at the chance to perform. "That's what we're working on, you know. 'Hilariously morbid, and morbidly hilarious. Puts the fun in funeral,' or so goes the tagline." He smiles, somewhat vacantly.

[roll0] He's good at bluff.

Phelix-Mu
2013-10-13, 12:06 AM
Darsha

Darsha nods her consent to the plan.

And then leaves, circling widely and rapidly around the campsite, staying out of range of the campfire's light. She continues until she can approach the tents from behind the lone man with the longsword, shuriken in hand.

Something is bothering her. She doesn't know much about sheep herding, but two tents for seventeen sheep.... That and Bacchus' comment about the sword.

She wants to confirm her suspicions.

She can move at 25' a round while at stealth speed.

Hide- +17= [roll0]
Move Silently- +15= [roll1]

Spot- +10= [roll2]
Listen- +11= [roll3]

She is inspecting the tents. Once she has cover against the man with the sword, she approaches into the light of the campfire. Her main concern is where are the other people. If there are other people (not dead) in the tent that could plausibly be shepherds, she will withdraw without making a scene. She's operating out of a sense of paranoia and operational instinct; frankly, I'm not sure she could properly explain it to herself, let alone the other group members. Thus, she judged it better not to tell them.

TiaC
2013-10-13, 01:26 AM
"None at all, Sir Knight. And quite excellent to meet you all, despite the circumstances."
OOC:The phrase this was said in response to was in Eldric's thoughts, not spoken aloud.

"You mentioned summoning, Sir Eldric? I must confess to a certain fascination with the field. Divine magic, by the armor, then? Not that there's anything wrong with that, of course. I'd love to hear more about your conjurations, or your order." He smiles.
"I have developed a certain talent for summoning. I mainly summon the shades of the dead, they are dangerous, but easily controlled. Few of them have any memory of their past life, they tend to be bestial in demeanor. And yourself?" Replies Eldric.

In reply to Bachus's plan, he says "That will be acceptable. However, my role as a knight cannot be hidden when we enter town, no others bear faces such as ours. We will have to decide what is to be done about this. I could request lodging in the castle, and bring one or two of you along as retainers. For this to work, I must appear to be merely a Knight Errant who happened to be passing through."

faircoin
2013-10-13, 01:53 AM
Everyone

"Hello, young man! Spare a morsel of food for a traveling actor? Got a little lost. My troupe's waiting for me in Hewick. I'll gladly recite a few lines from The Necromancer's Revenge: A Tragicomedy in Two Acts for my supper. That's what we're working on, you know. 'Hilariously morbid, and morbidly hilarious. Puts the fun in funeral,' or so goes the tagline."

The man with the longsword stared at Selemyr. A moment of silence. And then he giggled. It was a quiet giggle and did not wake any of the sheep.

Nonetheless the man stood up and rested his hand on the hilt of his longsword. "Hi, stranger," said the man. "Your friends make me nervous. Including the one sneaking behind me. Do you moonlight as bandits when you're off work as actors?

"Invite your friends and we'll sit down and talk like normal people."

Nitori could tell that the words the man spoke ("Hi, stranger") and the man's resting of his hand on the hilt of his longsword were both cleverly-disguised spell components.

The scene above happens before you could reach the tents. If you continue to approach the tents, the man with the longsword will not attempt to stop you. You can see inside the tents from the outside. If you attempt to enter the tents, the man with the longsword will move to attack (initiatives are below).

In the tent the sheep were huddled near was a teenage human female. She was sleeping on a bedroll. Lying by her side were a staff with a bell tied to the end of it and a backpack.

In the other tent was a middle-aged human male. He was sleeping on a bedroll. Stashed to the side of his tent were a masterwork studded leather, a masterwork shortbow, a short sword, and eighty-four gold pieces.

Not necessary! Just in case.

1. Player characters
2. NPCs

Like before: it's not necessary to use this map. This is just in case.

.T..T........T.....................a........====== ===========...
...TT......T......................aaa.......====== ==========....
.T..T....T...............d......---aaa......================.... - walls (tent)
.T....T................---.......n|aaa.......================... | walls (tent)
..T..T.....T...........|p.......---aaa......=================... & campfire
.T.T...T...............---........aaa.......================.... = water (river)
..T...T....T.......................a.........===== ===========... T evergreen trees (massive)
....T...T....................&...............===============....
.T.....T....T................q..............====== ==========.... q human male with longsword
..T..T.......................................===== ===========... n human female (sleeping)
...T....T......T............................====== ===========... p human male (sleeping)
T....T...T...................s..............====== ===========...
T..T....T..T................................====== ==========.... d Darsha Emberstorm
T....T.......................................===== ===========... k Kawashiro Nitori
..T.T........T..............................====== ===========... v Van'Baelrah
.T..T.T...T.................................====== ===========... e Eldric Iberhardt
..T....T....................................====== ===========... b Bachus
.T..T.T....T................................====== ==========.... s Selemyr Falaren
...T.T......................................====== ==========....
T.....T......................................===== ===========... a sheep (sleeping)
..T.....T.....T..............................===== ===========...
T....T.......................................===== ============..
...T....T....T................................==== ============..
.T....T..T......................................== ==============
....TT......T...................................== ==============
..T.....T........................................= ==============
T..T..T.......T................................... ==============
..T......T........................................ ..============
...T.T.....T..............k.v.e.b................. ..============
.T....T.T........T................................ ....==========

TiaC
2013-10-13, 02:18 AM
Eldric approaches, "Oh, I'm no actor, just a traveler who was passing in the same direction. He is a skilled entertainer and has been a pleasure to travel with today. You seem on edge, have there been bandits in the area?" Gesturing to the holy symbol styled in the crest of his order he continues "I would gladly offer your headman or mayor my aid in removing them. They are parasites who prey on the weak and foster anarchy and lawlessness."

Phelix-Mu
2013-10-13, 07:55 AM
Darsha

Putting away her shuriken and emerging from hiding, she spreads her hands wide, to make it clear she's not a threat.

"Two tents worth of shepherds for less than a score sheep seemed excessive," she shrugs. "But what do I know about shepherding?"

She moves quickly to be behind the other speakers (Eldric and Selemyr).

"On the other hand, they seem to be adventurers, not shepherds. Way too much gold for shepherds," she says quietly, mainly to her fellow party members (though the man with the sword can probably hear).

DanteTheDragon
2013-10-13, 10:05 AM
Adventurers huh? Looking over at the clumps of sheep he looked around the ground till he found a stone of a suitable size then picked it up looking at the group. Tell me has anyone heard a sheep make a sound yet? Lets see if its what i suspect it isand with that he tossed the stone in the hopes of the stone passing through one of the, what he thinks illusory sheep.

If the stone passes through the sheep
Now tell me what are adventurers doing out here pretending to be sheep herders? I dont see how being sheep herders would make you a more protected camp Unless your trying to lure people in that is.

If the stone bounces off

Now tell me what are sheep herders doing with such expensive armor? It was to my belief that it would be very difficult for a sheep herder to buy one piece of masterwork armor let alone 3 or more. More than that why would you require such equipment to herd sheep? are these special sheep?
They probably wouldnt answer with the truth if they are special.

faircoin
2013-10-13, 12:00 PM
Everyone

"Oh, I'm no actor, just a traveler who was passing in the same direction. He is a skilled entertainer and has been a pleasure to travel with today. You seem on edge, have there been bandits in the area? I would gladly offer your headman or mayor my aid in removing them. They are parasites who prey on the weak and foster anarchy and lawlessness."

"Bandits?" said the man with the longsword. "I wouldn't know. With the coming of winter, I suspect they'd move south for warmer haunts."

~~~~~~~~

"Two tents worth of shepherds for less than a score sheep seemed excessive. But what do I know about shepherding? On the other hand, they seem to be adventurers, not shepherds. Way too much gold for shepherds."

The man with the longsword hears the last part. "Maybe that's because we're not shepherds?" suggested the man with the longsword.

~~~~~~~~

Bachus tossed a rock at a sheep. He successfully hit it. The sheep takes 2 nonlethal damage. The rock bounced off, and the sheep stood up and started bleating. The sleeping man and the sleeping woman woke up. The rest of the sheep proceeded to wake up as well. Suddenly, the quiet night air was filled with bleating.

"Oh, why'd you do that?" said the man with the longsword.

The man who just woke up quickly reached for his short sword. "Who are these people?" he said. "Is that a dragon?" He blinked as he saw Eldric.

"Dragonborn, actually," said the man with the longsword.

The man with the short sword gave the other man a strange look. "Are we being attacked?" said the man with the short sword.

"Not us. The sheep."

"Stay back, bandits!" said the man with the short sword. He walked out of his tent and readied his short sword. "I'm a soldier in Arbhun's levy! You, traveler," he turned and spoke to the man with the longsword, "why are you such a useless watch?"

"I'm tired," said the man with the longsword.

The sleeping woman had woken up. She clutched her staff with the bell tied to the end of it. Looking wary of the new arrivals, she nonetheless walked out of her tent and rang the bell. The sheep's bleating stopped all at once. The sheep began crowding around the woman.

"We're not in danger?" said the woman.

"You'll be safe, Nora, get back in the tent," said the man with the short sword.

The teenage woman, Nora, yawned, but seemed tense. "I'll calm the sheep," she said. "They look frightened." Casting an uncertain glance in the direction of Darsha, Eldric, and Selemyr, Nora rang the bell again and patted some sheep on their head.

The man with the short sword turned to Darsha and the others. "Okay, bandits, my useless friend here," he gestured at the man with the longsword, "seemed to have believed you, but I don't. What's your business here?"

BassWalker
2013-10-13, 01:15 PM
Van'Baelrah watched things from afar, sure that his presence would only worsen the group's standing. They sure were a jumpy bunch, though. Assaulting sheep? Readying to attack sleeping travelers? It was like traveling with actual bandits, he thought. Even so, it was a little amusing.

The gargantuan man found himself a seat in the grass, laying his walking... branch across his lap and listening and watching the rest of the group stumble through their meeting with the shepherds and their guard.

Phelix-Mu
2013-10-13, 01:21 PM
Darsha

"Obviously not to kill you, or you'd be dead," is what she wanted to say, but she quickly bit her lip.

Oh, right, she thinks. That's why these other people are useful. Talking.

She heads over to the sheep. Hands spread wide, and an honest (this time) look of harmlessness on her face. Darsha isn't particularly good with animals, but at least the animals don't expect her to speak or make friends. That's usually where everything starts going wrong.

She crouches down, about fifteen feet from the group of sheep, and smiles at Nora in what she hopes isn't a totally creepy manner.

"Sorry for the misunderstanding," she says while looking at the sheep, trying not to look too much like a red-eyed predator.

DanteTheDragon
2013-10-13, 03:09 PM
"Oh, why'd you do that?" said the man with the longsword.
I apologize for that, I was just checking to make sure it wasnt an illusion, I had no intention of harming the creature.

"Stay back, bandits!" said the man with the short sword. He walked out of his tent and readied his short sword. "I'm a soldier in Arbhun's levy! You, traveler,"

Soldier? Then it looks like i was right on the second part, special sheep or rather special sheepherder. Probably an escort. But why? He pondered this a little not wanting to speak up about it. All hed done so far was make things worse.

faircoin
2013-10-13, 04:07 PM
Everyone

"Sorry for the misunderstanding."

Nora said nothing. She continued to tend to the sheep.

"Misunderstanding?" said the man with the short sword. "There's a dragon thing standing right in front of me!"

"Dragonborn," said the man with the longsword.

"Whatever! These aren't normal people. That halfling ain't right either. And why's that old elf wearing a crown?"

The man with the longsword yawned. "You can relax. They're not evil."

The man with the short sword stared at the other man. "How do you know that?"

The man with the longsword ignored him. He addressed Eldric. "You're a long way from home, dragonborn. So am I. I am Marach. I research the planes. I ran into these two locals yesterday evening. The angry one—"

"I'm not angry!" said the man with the short sword.

"—the angry one," continued Marach, "he's Gilan. He's a scout with the local troops. The girl is Nora. She's a church person. And a shepherd. Now, why don't you introduce yourselves? I'd hate to have offered our names for nothing in return."

TiaC
2013-10-13, 04:18 PM
Refraining from aggressive action, Eldric steps forward. "Why don't we all calm down here, we have an overabundance of aggression and suspicion."

Turning to Bachus, "You there, that was uncalled for. Now, apologize to them for assaulting their sheep."

Then, to Darsha, "The roads can be dangerous, it is quite understandable that they would be uncomfortable traveling without a means of defending themselves."

Then to the soldier he says "We are merely travelers. Mister Falaren here is an actor who has preformed as he travels. I chose to match my pace to his to make the journey more enjoyable. I would assume that it was much the same with these others. I do not know their goal in traveling, but I am a wandering knight. I just displaced a pair of griffons who had been preying on livestock in a nearby town and am seeking a new task. Now, I hope that would answer your question and allow us to interact more amicably."
He smiles and makes calming gestures s he speaks.

Diplomacy: [roll0]
Also, I call the nearby town by its name, it is one under a different lord's rule.
EDIT:started this post before you posted.

After Marach speaks "That I am, but home never felt the same after the war. I am Sir Eldric Iberhardt, the elf is Selemyr Falaren and I don't believe the others ever gave me their names. You need not fear me, Mister Gilan, the Dragonborn serve the god Bahamut, King of the Good Dragons, and it is our duty to prevent dragons from preying on others."

If Nora come over, "What church do you serve? I am always glad to meet another of faith."

faircoin
2013-10-13, 08:25 PM
Everyone

"That I am, but home never felt the same after the war. I am Sir Eldric Iberhardt, the elf is Selemyr Falaren and I don't believe the others ever gave me their names. You need not fear me, Mister Gilan, the Dragonborn serve the god Bahamut, King of the Good Dragons, and it is our duty to prevent dragons from preying on others."

Gilan eyed Eldric suspiciously. "I never heard of any 'Dragonborn'," said Gilan. Nonetheless, he relented. "But if you serve a good god, that's good enough for me."

Eldric spoke to Nora.

"What church do you serve? I am always glad to meet another of faith."

"Pelor," said Nora. The sheep were crowding around her. "I wish I could offer blessings, but I've not prayed yet."

"They're going to Hewick," said Marach. He sat back down on the rock near the campfire and rested his longsword against it.

"You can camp with us," said Nora. "I can lead you to Hewick in the morning. If you'd rather travel tonight, just follow this road north. About fifteen miles down you'll be at Hewick."

Phelix-Mu
2013-10-13, 08:33 PM
Darsha

"Perhaps we best wait to enter town in the morning. We won't accomplish much at this hour in Hewick aside from waking people up," she says, doing her best to go along with the deception.

TiaC
2013-10-14, 12:34 AM
Gilan eyed Eldric suspiciously. "I never heard of any 'Dragonborn'," said Gilan. Nonetheless, he relented. "But if you serve a good god, that's good enough for me."

"It is not surprising that you are unaware of us. I myself have never met a Dragonborn who was not a member of our order. We are blessed by Bahamut with rebirth and a sacred duty to combat evil dragons." Explains Eldric.

––––––––––––

"Pelor," said Nora. The sheep were crowding around her. "I wish I could offer blessings, but I've not prayed yet."

"A worthy cause, I often find myself acting alongside The Shining One's worshipers. Our faiths share a willingness to combat evil directly." Eldric attempts to begin a conversation on religion with her.

Knowledge (Religion) take 10 = 18
If she talks, does she know what she's talking about?

––––––––––––

"They're going to Hewick," said Marach. He sat back down on the rock near the campfire and rested his longsword against it.

"You can camp with us," said Nora. "I can lead you to Hewick in the morning. If you'd rather travel tonight, just follow this road north. About fifteen miles down you'll be at Hewick."

"Thank you all, I at least will take you up on that offer. You seem pleasant company and I am in no hurry."

Pseudo_Nym
2013-10-14, 05:13 PM
"Tomorrow it is!" Selemyr, at least, looks incredibly pleased with how everything's working out, and unfazed by all these people he's not supposed to know. He plops down by the campfire, smiling broadly. His old bones creak, but his eyes are bright and unfatigued. "Name's Sel. Now, who's up for some ghost stories? I know this great one about a demon and a prince. Heard it from the horse's mouth, you might say."

Phelix-Mu
2013-10-14, 05:45 PM
Darsha

"Demons?" she says, her ears perking up a bit. Maybe it was her mixed heritage. Or her total ignorance of demons and the like. Or maybe it was her halfling curiosity shining through.

Either way, she wanted to listen to the elf.

Moving swiftly from the sheep to the side of the campfire, she tumbles into a cross-legged position, red cat eyes fixed on the elf.

"Tell on."

Pseudo_Nym
2013-10-14, 07:55 PM
Selemyr begins a tale, continuing without pause as long as he has an audience of any size. It's not the most probable fiction, but he says every word like he believes it completely.

"It wasn't all that long ago – by the reckoning of an elf, that is – nor all that far away, by the reckoning of the planes, that there was a small but blessed kingdom. Now, I do not say the word blessed lightly, for I know full well what it means, but here it applies fully. It was blessed with no wars or famine. It was blessed with the most fertile soil and the most learned craftsman and sages. And best of all, it was blessed with the wisest and kindest of kings, matched in both only by his most charming queen. The kingdom was peaceful, its people, both prosperous and happy. Only one thing marred the bliss, and that was the crown prince. His name was Kyrdos – it means “fiery one” in some now forgotten tongue, after the colour of his hair – and he was rotten. It seems he caught the peculiar habit of some children to try to be the opposite of their parents in every way, and at that he succeeded admirably. Where they were kind, he was cruel. Where they were patient, he was rash. Where they were just, he was merciless. At the age of six he skinned a poor alley cat alive. By fourteen, he had moved to torturing peasants. His parents tried to stop him, of course, but their movements were too slow, too tempered. By his seventeenth birthday, they were both dead, and accusations of poison can neither be confirmed nor denied. He took the throne gleefully, and the land suffered. The people called for a hero.

Instead, they got Jebzahl. Jebzahl was – is, I should say, for he lives yet – a babau, one of the tanar'ri. That is to say, a demon. Six feet tall, skeletal, with a horned, goblinoid skull and skin that looks like bloody leather. Dreadful breath, too. He was not, notably, a devil. Devils want something – usually, your soul. They'll be your friend, shake your hand, do you favors – but they always want something. Demons aren't like that. If a demon calls you friend, he means it. Doesn't mean he won't kill you anyway, of course. But I digress. Jebzahl ended up on the mortal plane by a conjuration gone bad. The wizard who called him hadn't really thought about what came next. Amateur. So Jebzahl did the wizard's task for him, because he felt like it, then killed the wizard, because he felt like it, and now was wandering around, because he felt like it. Mostly, the world was worse off for it – he killed indiscriminately, leaving a trail of blood behind him as he wandered towards nowhere in particular. But eventually, he ended up in our poor old “blessed” kingdom. It was beautiful no longer. The streets were cold and gray, with not a soul in sight. He sauntered in, fully planning to kill the first dozen things he saw, all prepared for the screaming that is music to every demons' ears. And then he heard the cheering.

It's a rare thing for a demon to be cheered, especially a babau. So he lowered his razor sharp claws for a second, just a second, and looked. All around him, people were leaving their houses and coming towards him, smiling and happy. Old men, young children, all sorts in between. They had never needed a hero before, y'see, and didn't really know what to expect. Now they call out for one, and Jebzahl appears. They're patting him on the back, offering him money, trying to figure out a safe way to shake his hand. He didn't speak Common very well, but he figured out, more or less, what they wanted from him. To go up to the old castle on the hill, and kill everyone inside. That was his interpretation, anyway. And, amazingly, he decided to do it. “Same as the wizard,” he thought. “Do the job, kill them after.” Or, even better, “If I'm going to kill them all, why not start with this prince guy? Make their looks of betrayal all the sweeter.” So he saunters up the this castle and walks straight up to Kyrdos. Now, Kyrdos knows what he is. “Great demon, perhaps we can -” That's as far as he got. In a flash, Jebzahl's claws were red and Kyrdos' stomach was sliced clean through. An ignoble end for an ignoble king. So Jebzahl walked out into the streets, ready to slaughter the rest. He spied a little girl, playing with her ball. He moved in for the kill... and was interrupted by a tap on the shoulder.

He spun madly, claws slicing through air where the perpetrator's head should have been. They missed, because the old man was already bowing low, a jeweled crown in his hands. “Your majesty.”

Jebzahl stared. All around him, people were bowing. They really wanted him to be their new king! He looked at the city, filled with people that adored him, and out into the wide world, filled with far more that hated him. He paused, then laid a bloody claw on the shoulder of the old man, who didn't even flinch. Then he spoke two words, in heavily accented Common. “Try... democracy.” He left the kingdom, a kingdom no longer, in peace, and went on to slaughter every inhabitant of the next ten lands he visited."

He stares into the fire for a moment, lost in thought, expression unreadable. Then he smiles. "Wasn't that a lovely story?"

faircoin
2013-10-14, 10:23 PM
Everyone

"It is not surprising that you are unaware of us. I myself have never met a Dragonborn who was not a member of our order. We are blessed by Bahamut with rebirth and a sacred duty to combat evil dragons."

"Perhaps it would interest you to know," said Marach, "that there are other dragonborn." He did not elaborate.

~~~~~~~~

"A worthy cause, I often find myself acting alongside The Shining One's worshipers. Our faiths share a willingness to combat evil directly."

"I am a shepherd," said Nora. "I would be a liability if I fought. I do what I can to heal. Any more is beyond me."

Nora was able to discuss religion only at a basic level, and no more. Nonetheless, she demonstrated trained familiarity with gods, goddesses, and myths.

~~~~~~~~

"Wasn't that a lovely story?"

"That is an unusual story," said Nora. "But I liked it."

"That's a terrible story," said Gilan. "Why'd Jebzahl recommend democracy. How's that make sense?"

Marach laughed. He said, "I'll have you recite Necromancer's Revenge for me. But not tonight. Get some rest. We have five hours of travel ahead of us. Gilan, switch watch with me in an hour. I'll wake you up then."

~~~~~~~~

Once everyone is done and turns in for the night, the following occurs.

The sheep went back to sleep. Nora and Gilan returned to their tents. Marach sat on the rock, still and watchful as a statue. The night passed uneventfully.

Five hours later, after the sun had risen, Gilan was keeping watch, and Marach was nowhere to be seen. Nora had woken the sheep and was pouring water over the campfire.

The scene before the group was beautiful. Sunlight beat down on the immense green plains. Purple flowers bloomed on the riverbanks. The river water was clear, cool, and fragrant. The pine forest looked more impressive during the day than at night.

"Where's Marach?" said Nora. She yawned.

"He went on ahead," said Gilan. "Impatient bastard."

"That's too bad," said Nora. "It's nice how much he knows about the planes. I would have liked to ask him more questions."

"Eh," said Gilan. "I've heard stories of other planes, but... I won't believe it till I see it."

"Are we all ready?" said Nora. "It's time to go." She rang her bell. The sheep immediately started flocking towards her.

Phelix-Mu
2013-10-14, 10:35 PM
Darsha

The wispling is unresponsive for a long moment, staring deep into the fire while chewing absentmindedly on the strap of her sling.

"Oh, yes, that was a nice story," she says, as though only half paying attention, automatically agreeing with what someone said. Her eyes were still distant, her mind elsewhere.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Come morning...]

Darsha never sleeps well around other people. The smell of the sheep was oddly reassuring, but she kept rolling over and imagining some dragonborn knight standing there, looking at her all disapprovingly.

She shakes her head and puts on her pack, ready to travel. She hastens ahead of the sheep, and amuses herself by gauging her pace to gradually circle around them as they move down the road, trying to figure out how quickly she can drift about their grouping before they begin to perceive a threat. And how far she can take the game before Nora objects.

TiaC
2013-10-15, 02:05 AM
"Perhaps it would interest you to know," said Marach, "that there are other dragonborn." He did not elaborate.

"Fascinating, have you met them? It is rare that Bahamut finds one with the needed dedication outside my order. It has been many years since one of my countrymen was reborn without joining us. Few other lands have as many devoted to the Platinum Dragon and so those who would fight evil turn to other gods. I knew of the existence of others, butI am not the most widely traveled, and I have done so mainly in lands where Bahamut had little presence." Eldric looks mildly disappointed when Marach fails to say more.

~~~~~~~~

"I am a shepherd," said Nora. "I would be a liability if I fought. I do what I can to heal. Any more is beyond me."

"As long as you encourage those who will listen to follow the path of good, you are a credit to your faith. Do not think that I respect only the warrior-priests, and I apologize or implying such." Eldric says.

~~~~~~~~

"An interesting tale, and one that well shows the danger of ascribing Humanoid motives to such alien creatures."

~~~~~~~~

"Are we all ready?" said Nora. "It's time to go." She rang her bell. The sheep immediately started flocking towards her.

Eldric rises from his prayer "Thank you for your help and company, it is much appreciated."

DanteTheDragon
2013-10-15, 04:37 AM
After his usual morning stretches and refilling his water skin with the river, Bachus approached Nora.

petting one of the sheep absentmindedly he said

I apologize for harming one of your sheep, I had no intention of doing so Im just used to being on the cautious side and i wanted to make sure that if we where going to be ambushed that there wasnt a caster casting illusions abouts.
It's happened before during the war,....groups of us would be lured in using illusions of people in need of assistance only to find themselves surrounded by an army and destroyed. It was never a pleasant thing, I didnt mean to hurt the poor thing i just didnt want to end up in an ambush is all.

he then went over to his tent rolling it up placing everything once again in and on his pack lifting it on to his shoulder. Looking up at the sky he he gauged north by the position of the sun placing himself on the road.

Then let us go. It will take us longer to get there because of the sheep and there needs to graze but we have time. Besides i can not leave a young woman out here without...protection.

He said the last word eying the youth besides her with a little doubt. He may be a soldier but from what was seen he was hotheaded and quick to become aggressive, traits that the usual unbloodied soldier got beat out of them during battle. They usually learned quickly to calm down after....or they'd die because of there stupidity, or pride. Both where the same thing to him.
I hope this one learns he grumbled to himself before turning and following one of the sheep that decided to get ahead of the group.
He scratched his wrist a little over the tattoo of the wolves laying by the river. He didnt know why but over the last few weeks they had started to itch from time to time. It wasn't necessarily unpleasant, but it did get very annoying at times.

Pseudo_Nym
2013-10-15, 08:53 AM
No one sees Selemyr sleep. He stays up late and wakes up early, calling it an "elf thing." No one sees him eat anything, either. But he's awake and smiling, his dark robes clutching to his gaunt frame in the cool morning air, and he offers friendly conversation to all who welcome it. Eventually, he asks about their destination.

"I've heard dark things about Hewick, of late. It's lord went mad, they say, or something of that sort. If the upcoming festival wasn't such a good place to look for employment, I doubt I'd be going at all. Know anything about that?"

faircoin
2013-10-15, 03:12 PM
Everyone

"Thank you for your help and company, it is much appreciated."

"I think I should be thanking you, Sir Eldric," said Nora, "for keeping my journey interesting. I don't often get to travel with Bahamut's knights or actors."

"Speaking of," said Gilan, "I didn't even realize Hewick had actors. Or a theater."

"It does," said Nora, "near the market. The mayor commissioned it a few years ago."

"Maybe why I haven't heard of it," said Gilan. "I spend most of my time in Arbhun anyways."

~~~~~~~~

I apologize for harming one of your sheep, I had no intention of doing so Im just used to being on the cautious side and i wanted to make sure that if we where going to be ambushed that there wasnt a caster casting illusions abouts.

It's happened before during the war,....groups of us would be lured in using illusions of people in need of assistance only to find themselves surrounded by an army and destroyed. It was never a pleasant thing, I didnt mean to hurt the poor thing i just didnt want to end up in an ambush is all.

"The sheep are the church's," said Nora. "They were entrusted to me, and so I must guarantee their safe delivery."

"Those church bastards are paying you this time?" said Gilan.

"They said they would," said Nora.

"They said they would last time! They don't deserve you," said Gilan. "Come work in Arbhun's chapel instead. Work a few months, make money for travel to Bervenia. When you're there, work, study, and try to pass the Imperial exams. If you score high, then you go to Cantal and study divine magic with the best—that's always been your dream, right? Even if you don't score high, there are other universities."

"Don't be ridiculous," said Nora. "I have to score in the top tenth of a percent to go Cantal Institute. In our entire continent, there are only five people a year who score so high. Even the King's son was rejected."

"I heard about how hard it is," said Gilan, "but you've always been a hard worker. And smart. You can make it."

"Those who make it in," said Nora, "usually have had the opportunity to study in a big school like Bervenia University before taking the exams. I don't have the gold for that."

"Not a lot of people in Hewick have the gold for that," said Gilan. "That's the stuff only nobles can afford. Damn, why is it so hard to get good education?"

~~~~~~~~

"I've heard dark things about Hewick, of late. It's lord went mad, they say, or something of that sort. If the upcoming festival wasn't such a good place to look for employment, I doubt I'd be going at all. Know anything about that?"

"Oh, geez," said Gilan. "Lord Damsev. The only thing more annoying than these rumors, I swear, is all the adventurers coming here to 'bring justice' to our Lord. If there were any truth to those rumors of Damsev going mad, then the Imperial Council would send someone or say something! I don't know what happened in that caravan attack, but I am positive our Lord ain't got anything to do with it."

"I hear this rumor a lot," said Nora. "Lots of people are spreading it. Our bishop. The merchants. The mayor. The farmers. The town guards."

"You forgot to mention the most annoying lot," said Gilan. "The adventurers. Look, us soldiers have been in Arbhun for a very long time. If these rumors were true, we'd know."

"I like the adventurers," said Nora. "They are very interesting. The townsfolk like them as well."

TiaC
2013-10-15, 04:14 PM
"Not a lot of people in Hewick have the gold for that," said Gilan. "That's the stuff only nobles can afford. Damn, why is it so hard to get good education?"

"When it comes to a religious education it is easier than for most. Many monasteries will offer an education without requiring funding. However, some still possess advantages."

~~~~~~~~

"You forgot to mention the most annoying lot," said Gilan. "The adventurers. Look, us soldiers have been in Arbhun for a very long time. If these rumors were true, we'd know."

"I like the adventurers," said Nora. "They are very interesting. The townsfolk like them as well."

"Adventurers can do much good, but when they cross the line into vigilanteism, society suffers. No matter the truth of any rumors, this is a matter for the crown. Deposing a lord without his sovereign's support is either a revolution or a war, and either one would harm the people of these lands." Says Eldric.

Phelix-Mu
2013-10-15, 04:37 PM
Darsha

My ears are starting to hurt, she thinks. Her pulse quickens a bit, and she feels that familiar urge to end the job quickly in a flurry of bloodshed. A familiar exit strategy for her.

Instead, she focuses on her game with the sheep, seeing how they respond to the occasional running somersault or similar antics. They really were interesting, having a kind of useful group mentality that improves their survival chances.

Darsha suddenly realizes that she's nothing like the sheep. Between the incessant chatter among the travelers, and this unpleasant realization, Darsha is tempted to follow the half-ogre's example and ditch everyone else. Anyone that looks at her can tell she's wrestling with the decision.

NM020110
2013-10-15, 05:51 PM
Can't stop moving around for long enough to get any work done...oh well, when we get there we can start in. For now...

Selemyr finds a small blue bag clipped to his clothing, which appears to open into 2'x2'x2' space. Within is a runed golden coin which makes Selemyr invisible when withdrawn from the bag, and a short note.

After some conversation with Rika, she decided that you could be of aid for one of her experiments, though it'll probably be a number of years before that's ready...maybe sooner if we can get enough funding.

Anyway, this is an optical camouflage unit similar to the one I was using, and one of my pouches of holding. Try to stay alive for now, alright~

Well, I've been up a bit longer than I'd like. Time to sleep. We can talk later.

faircoin
2013-10-17, 03:43 PM
Everyone

The group walked for five hours across a landscape of tall pines, flowing rivers, green plains, and snow-capped mountains. The road they followed was smooth and straight. The sun, which at the beginning of the long walk had just risen, was now near the top of the sky. During the walk, the sheep, noticeably disturbed by Darsha's antics, restlessly milled about in their formation. When the sheep were dangerously close to breaking formation, Nora would ring her bell and shepherd them back into formation.

"Could you not?" said Nora. "The sheep aren't mine. I can't afford to lose any one."

~~~~~~~~

Eventually, a very large town came into view. The group approached the town gates, which were open. There was a lot of traffic, both into and out of, the town: peasants, traders, craftsmen, hunters, foragers, and even one adventuring party of four entering the town. Four guards stood at the gates. They all wore chainmail and carried waraxes.

"Welcome to Hewick," said Gilan. "This is not my stop. I'm headed to Arbhun. It was good meeting you and your friends, knight." (The "knight" clearly addressed to Sir Eldric.) Gilan entered the town through the gates and disappeared from view.

"I'm off to the church," said Nora, "to return the sheep to their owner. I hope our paths cross again. Good luck in your travels." She and the sheep entered the town too and left.

~~~~~~~~

If the players attempt to enter the town, the following occurs.

The guards moved to block the group's (the player characters') path. The group was attracting attention. People were staring and whispering, especially at Van'Baelrah and Eldric. The adventuring party had stopped to look at the group.

"What's your business here?" said a guard. He looked at Eldric warily. "You are a long way from Riovanes, servant of Bahamut. The Knights of the Scale have no business here."

Phelix-Mu
2013-10-17, 06:09 PM
Darsha

"Could you not?" said Nora. "The sheep aren't mine. I can't afford to lose any one."

"Ah, sorry," the wispling says, a little sad her fun is thus ended, but more sheepish embarrassed that she's disturbed the pretty young woman.

Darsha wonders about Nora, her past, her personality; she seems quite nice. She wonders just how their two pasts differed so radically that they now stand here having this exchange; one female looking only to protect the sheep she's been entrusted with, the other looking only to avoid the rising feelings of violence she feels toward her fellow travelers.

Regardless, she quits that particular brand of fooling around. Back to deep-breathing, she thinks.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As the traveling group breaks up, Darsha wishes to follow the sheep. She doesn't usually feel a desire to avoid her missions; but for some reason, she suddenly finds her mind full of thoughts of the sheep, the church, and, most of all, Nora. How will their lives be impacted by the mission to capture or kill Lord Damsev?

She shakes her head, and focuses her thoughts.

When the guards confront the group, the wispling hangs back a bit, eager to let the more charismatic individuals enjoy their schtick.

I will remove the last line if we decide not to head into town.

DanteTheDragon
2013-10-18, 01:41 AM
Motioning Shiro away from the guards and behind the rest of the group Bachus whispered

Would it be possible to disguise these two somehow? make them seem,...a little less like themselves and a little more acceptable to townsfolk? I think theyd hate being stopped at every town they visit simply because of there appearance.

looking over slightly to check to see if the guards noticed there conversation then turning back to the scientist.

I remember you made yourself invisible in the forest with some sort of device. Would it be possible to change there appearance? I assume itd be more difficult to make but i think itd be more useful to to them in the future.

TiaC
2013-10-18, 03:40 AM
[QUOTE=faircoin;16237217]
"Welcome to Hewick," said Gilan. "This is not my stop. I'm headed to Arbhun. It was good meeting you and your friends, knight." (The "knight" clearly addressed to Sir Eldric.) Gilan entered the town through the gates and disappeared from view.

"I'm off to the church," said Nora, "to return the sheep to their owner. I hope our paths cross again. Good luck in your travels." She and the sheep entered the town too and left.

~~~~~~~~

"It has been a pleasure traveling with you all, I thank you for the company. With that, Eldric breaks off from the group in the same manner as Gilan and Nora and goes to the gates.

~~~~~~~~

If the players attempt to enter the town, the following occurs.

The guards moved to block the group's (the player characters') path. The group was attracting attention. People were staring and whispering, especially at Van'Baelrah and Eldric. The adventuring party had stopped to look at the group.

"What's your business here?" said a guard. He looked at Eldric warily. "You are a long way from Riovanes, servant of Bahamut. The Knights of the Scale have no business here."

~~~~~~~~

(He is not in a group as he comes to the gates, I assume the dialogue does not change.)

"That I am, Guardsman, and I claim no authority here. I am only a knight errant, seeking the spawn of Tiamat, as the Imperial Council has ordered them neutralized. If you have use of my aid, I would be glad to offer it, but if your town is safe, I will be just passing through." Eldric said respectfully, attempting to defuse the guard's aggression.

faircoin
2013-10-18, 11:50 AM
Everyone

So, Eldric approaches the gate first, and separately from the rest of the group. Nothing changes.

"That I am, Guardsman, and I claim no authority here. I am only a knight errant, seeking the spawn of Tiamat, as the Imperial Council has ordered them neutralized. If you have use of my aid, I would be glad to offer it, but if your town is safe, I will be just passing through."

"If by 'spawn of Tiamat' you mean criminals," said the guard, "then our town will never be rid of them. I'll let you in, but I ask you leave justice to the guards."

The other guards looked uncertain. One said, "Your presence will cause concern. You should speak with our Lord in Castle Arbhun."

The guards moved out of the way, clearing Eldric's path into Hewick.

~~~~~~~~

If you enter the town, the following occurs.

Hewick was a large town. It was divided into two sections: commercial and residential. In the residential section, one could visit the mayor's mansion, the town hall, the church, the shrine, and an inn and tavern called The Shrew's Meadhall. In the commercial section, one could visit the central market, a magic items store called Amalfrild's Wondrous Oddities, the theater, the guilds, and an inn and tavern called The Pilgrim and the Chalice. Hewick also had three visitable town gates: the southern gate (where the group was currently located, and where Eldric had just entered from), the western gate (which led into a massive pine forest), and the northern gate (which led up a mountain to Castle Arbhun). One could visit, of course, many places not listed above, for the above list is hardly exhaustive of all of Hewick's locations.

Hewick's buildings were a mix of half-timbered construction and renaissance architecture. Stone and wood were common building materials. In the distance, to the north, a massive snow-capped mountain towered over Hewick. Castle Arbhun was also visible: It was located on a mountain cliff overlooking Hewick. Hewick itself was quite busy, not unlike a small city. Many kinds of people walked Hewick's streets: farmers, traders, craftsmen, and others.

TiaC
2013-10-18, 12:32 PM
"If by 'spawn of Tiamat' you mean criminals," said the guard, "then our town will never be rid of them. I'll let you in, but I ask you leave justice to the guards."

The other guards looked uncertain. One said, "Your presence will cause concern. You should speak with our Lord in Castle Arbhun."

The guards moved out of the way, clearing Eldric's path into Hewick.

~~~~~~~~

"Unless your criminals are red dragons or wyverns, they are not within my purview. I will report my presence at the castle as you ask. How shall I go about doing this?" Eldric asks before entering.

Upon entering, he walked over to a street vendor and bought a snack before beginning to meander towards the center of town.

Phelix-Mu
2013-10-18, 01:25 PM
Darsha

"Since Sel is from the theater, we should probably drop by there just to lend credence to the cover story. From there, I intend to surveil groups of people heading up to the castle, and look for an appearance worthy of borrowing," she says. "At least that's what I'd do if I was doing this solo. Anyone have a better approach?"

faircoin
2013-10-19, 02:28 PM
Eldric Iberhardt

"Unless your criminals are red dragons or wyverns, they are not within my purview. I will report my presence at the castle as you ask. How shall I go about doing this?"

"To reach Castle Arbhun," said the second guard, "you need to exit Hewick from the northern gate. The Castle can be seen from town, so finding it shouldn't be difficult."

~~~~~~~~

As Eldric walked, he found himself at the center of the townsfolk's attention. Stares and whispers followed him, and a wide path was cleared before him as he walked.

When he approached a street vendor, the vendor looked startled. "We got d-dried eel," said the vendor, stuttering. "T-two copper." On the vendor's cart was, indeed, dried eel.

~~~~~~~~

The center of town turned out to be the central market.

The central market was busy. There were many trading tents set up outdoors. There were also shops (in buildings): Helmaer's Arms and Armor, Gery's Tailoring Services, Robern's Food and Catering, Liamund's Entertainment Goods, Emperor's Folly Trading Company, Elean's Pets and Mounts, Olga's Tools and Equipment, Jane's Adventuring Supplies, and Telchim's Alchemical Remedies.

~~~~~~~~

Darsha Emberstorm, Kawashiro Nitori, Bachus, and Selemyr Falaren

You guys are still at the south gates, as the guards have given only Eldric permission to enter (since he approached independent of the group).

Phelix-Mu
2013-10-19, 04:32 PM
Darsha

Darsha decides to surveil the guard activities while the rest of the group sorts things out. She mills about in the traffic at the gate, ostensibly advertising the debut of Selemyr's production at the theater if any of the guards get on her case.

She attempts to count the guards stationed at the gate, but more importantly, scope out the patrol situation within the town. Hard to see from the gate, but she seems to have some time. Also, she's identifying common elements of merchant clothing and appearance. Finally, she is looking for distant approaching wagons and the inspection protocol for wagons entering the town.

If the group doesn't do something soon, she will lose patience and enter the town alone under the guise of a merchant or merchant's assistant of some kind, using her daily alter self ability to appear like a human of the dominant ethnic group in travelers clothing. That, or she'll just hide within or under a wagon, but she wants to make sure they aren't rifling through or otherwise scrutinizing wagons and cargo.

She has to do something soon or there might be a suspiciously timed assault/murder to distract the guards. *wink*

NM020110
2013-10-19, 06:35 PM
Nitori fades in slightly behind Bachus.

"Sorry, didn't hear you at first. They have a somewhat unusual gate mechanism here.

"I could create such an illusion, but creating an adaptive and ablative illusion introduces a number of flaws to the construct which would need to be worked around. I would need to take them to my Lab and spend several days crafting the illusion for them. In addition to the time required, I would need...let's call it two-hundred platinum, I don't have my notes on me at the moment, for the full set of five senses, to adjust for the various problems introduced.

"It would definitely be an experience, however, and the practice might help to spot where the flaws come in so I can finally fix that design."

Pseudo_Nym
2013-10-20, 11:40 AM
Selemyr nods sagely to the discussion of multifaceted omnidirectional pansensual adaptive and ablative cloaking.

"Or... we could just... walk in. They must get a lot of tourists around festival season."

DanteTheDragon
2013-10-21, 01:35 AM
Well then let's go.
With that Bachus followed the dragon faced man through the gate. Catching up to him he saw the look of fear the eel salesman had on his face. Rolling his eyes slightly he said. We will have two please placing 4 copper in the hand of the man.
When he gets them he hands one over to eldric and began walking down the street. Where do you think we should begin our search? He asked Eldric while chewing on a piece of dried eel.

TiaC
2013-10-21, 02:32 AM
Eldric says "Ah, delicious, I'll have one." and hands over 2 copper with a smile. "It is far too hard to find seafood in most towns." He then continues on his walk.

~~~~~~

Well then let's go.
With that Bachus followed the dragon faced man through the gate. Catching up to him he saw the look of fear the eel salesman had on his face. Rolling his eyes slightly he said. We will have two please placing 4 copper in the hand of the man.
When he gets them he hands one over to eldric and began walking down the street. Where do you think we should begin our search? He asked Eldric while chewing on a piece of dried eel.

~~~~~~

Eldric has moved on from the vendor by the time Bachus arrives. If Bachus follows him and tries to speak to him, he will be polite, but will not admit any friendship. Bachus is just someone who happened to be traveling the same way.

faircoin
2013-10-21, 02:04 PM
Darsha Emberstorm, Kawashiro Nitori, Bachus, and Selemyr Falaren

It seemed that the guards were not adhering to a rigid protocol for stopping and searching passers-by; the guards were stopping only those who looked out of place.

Most traders were dressed in a traveler's outfit. Some wore a courtier's outfit.

There were no noticeable patrols—only the guards at the gates.

The guards did not attempt to stop the group from entering Hewick through the gates.

~~~~~~~~

Eldric Iberhardt

So, I guess you're just walking around the central market, then?

DanteTheDragon
2013-10-21, 02:32 PM
Looking at the retreating figure of Eldric he shrugged and placed the second eel in his pack, Itd serve as a snack for later anyway. Looking over at the street vendor once again he said
Quite an unnerving sight eh? Do you happen to know a good in around here? Id really like a good bed and a nice meal, Haven't really eaten today.

Pseudo_Nym
2013-10-21, 04:29 PM
Between his fine clothing and somewhat vacant grin, Selemyr is practically begging to be robbed. The crown doesn't help - it's clearly well made, not a stage prop. He loiters by the gate for a minute or two, should anyone try to talk to him. If not, he heads out in search of clues alone.

Should Sel go out alone, he spends a few hours poking about various locations before returning to The Pilgrim and the Chalice to look for the others. Specifically,

1. He visits the theatre, looking for any troupe passing through. He identifies himself as a fellow actor, and he flatters anyone he finds enormously, begging for autographs, complementingly them whenever possible, et cetera. Eventually, he asks if they're bothered by the whole Lord Damsev buisness. Taking 10 on Perform (Acting) gives him 19, and he knows plenty of lines from various plays.

2. He visits the church, removing his crown. The act immediately makes him look less impressive, almost supernaturally so. With his dark clothing, he poses as a mourner for Damsev's victims, and he makes a rather large (10 gp, anyway) donation to the temple while subtly asking all he can. Taking 10 on Knowledge (Religion) is 21, so he should avoid offending anyone's beliefs.

3. He heads to the good tavern - the one real residents drink at, not the one that overcharges tourists - and acts like a pompous sight-seer who knows the town better than the people who live there. Specifically, he claims to have been there personally to witness Damsev's actions. He gets every detail incredibly wrong, including Lord Damsev's name, and he waits for someone to correct him. He accepts a black eye in the name of duty, but if things get worse (i.e., he worries he may need to actually fight back) he thanks them for their time and runs away, turning invisible in necessary once around a corner.

4. He scouts out the castle. He doesn't try to sneak past the first line of defence, whatever that may be, but he gets a good look at its exterior, its size, and how many guards it has. If he can, he asks a guard posing as a more benign tourist here for the festival. He is extremely polite, but asks a few harmless questions (how old is it, how long did it take to build, how many bathrooms does it have) and one or two not-so-harmless ones (is it currently occupied, are there always this many guards or just for the festival). If asked to leave he does so immediately and without complaint.

In general, taking 10 on Gather Information gives him 16, for what that's worth.

Phelix-Mu
2013-10-21, 04:52 PM
Darsha

Reassured by the guard presence at the gates, but less so inside the town, Darsha enters separately from the group, carefully covering her weapons in the folds of her monk robes before entering.

She follows Sel to the theater, but informs him and anyone else that is still together, that she is going to scout the North Gate that leads to the castle.

Once at the North Gate, she moves around, back and forth, looking behind objects and such, all the while watching the movements and numbers of the guards, and the manner of folk that come and go on the path to the castle. If anyone asks, she is helping some woman whose cat had run off look for it.

After a short period of surveillance, and before the cat-search ruse wears out, she returns to the theater area, looks briefly about if any group members are about, and then heads to The Pilgrim and the Chalice. There she orders a brew and huddles in some corner, listens carefully to her surrounding in hopes of catching some gossip, and spends a good hour or so. She observes the type, ethnic groups, and dress of the people that frequent this particular pub.

Her thoughts stray back to Nora. Perhaps later she will visit the church.

faircoin
2013-10-21, 11:13 PM
Bachus

Quite an unnerving sight eh? Do you happen to know a good in around here? Id really like a good bed and a nice meal, Haven't really eaten today.

"Well," said the vendor, visibly deflated after seeing Eldric, "we don't get many like him, that's for sure." Straightening up, the vendor said, "If it's good meals and bedding you want, The Pilgrim and the Chalice is a solid choice." The vendor gave Bachus directions to The Pilgrim and the Chalice.

~~~~~~~~

Selemyr Falaren

Selemyr went to the theater. He arrived out front.

The theater was closed and the ticket booth was empty. There were no customers. As the theater was located in a busy section of town, there was a lot of traffic near it. There was also a male elf and a female human discussing something in front of the ticket booth.

"He's a drunk," said the human. "We can't use him."

"So what if he engages in revelry once in a while?" said the elf.

"He doesn't 'engage in revelry'," said the human, "he drinks from dawn to dusk, every day of every week."

The elf spotted Selemyr. "Say, old man," said the elf, "you dress pretty oddly. What's your excuse?"

"Stop bothering people you don't know," said the human. She turned to Selemyr. "Excuse my friend. I am Anne and he is Elumin. We work at the theater. It's always good to see a new face in town."

"Say," said Elumin, "are you a wizard? Only wizards dress so strangely. Can you cast spells while drunk?"

"Don't involve others in our problems!" said Anne. She bowed to Selemyr. "I apologize for this dolt. I only keep him around because he can act."

"I also look pretty," said Elumin.

~~~~~~~~

Darsha Emberstorm

Darsha arrives at Selemyr's location.

~~~~~~~~

Everyone

I don't mind abstracting normal information gathering, but if I think something is interesting enough, then I will probably make it a scene. Characters can, of course, ignore it and continue with their business.

Phelix-Mu
2013-10-22, 12:50 AM
Darsha

Darsha sticks around to see what happens to Selemyr, and possibly to give credence to any tales he might spin. Since they arrived at the theater separately, she will pretend to be engaged with something else (people watching or some such) as Selemyr engages the pair.

Should be interesting to see how the old elf spins this.

TiaC
2013-10-22, 02:05 AM
Eldric headed into the center of town. When he noticed the looks he was getting, he stepped into an alleyway, removed and stowed his weapons, and put his monk's robes on and raised the cowl. He then continued through town taking pains to appear nonthreatening. He keeps an eye out to make sure that the others have followed him into town. Knowing Selemyr's cover, he swings by the theater. If Selemyr is there, he will stop to read the playbill and keep an eye on the developing situation. If he is not, or if the situation is resolved quietly, Eldric will continue to the castle. Upon meeting the guards he will say: "The guards at the gate asked me to make my presence known here. I am a Knight of the Scale, and swear that I mean no harm to this land. Do you have further directions for me, or shall I return to town?"

NM020110
2013-10-22, 07:22 PM
Evidently deciding that it would be more hassle than not, Nitori enters the town normally, searching for an inn. Today has had entirely too much walking and too little science. Even making that Camouflage last night for the conjurer that Rika was interested in wasn't quite enough.

Gather Information to find a decent but not not great inn where I could be sure of not being disturbed for a while.

[roll0]

Pseudo_Nym
2013-10-22, 07:38 PM
Selemyr laughs. The sound is clear and bright.

"Not every eccentric old man is a powerful wizard, friend." He winks. "Only some of us are. Met a few wizards, though. Oddest bunch imaginable. Name's Sel, retired actor. Semi-retired, anyway - the theatre always seems to call me back." He smiles warmly. After a moment, it droops, and he looks concerned. "You mentioned a problem? Is there any way I might help? It'd ruin an old man's day if I had to walk by and do nothing."

DanteTheDragon
2013-10-23, 03:34 PM
Thank you very much. With that he started following the directions given to him by the man at the stand.

Inns where usually the best places to gather information considering the amount of drunk people milling about in there And if someone didnt want to talk, a drink usually helped them loosen there tongues.

As he walked down he crowded streets full of people on there way to various tasks,He heard a growling, Looking around for the source he finally realized, It was coming from his stomach. Patting his stomach he said. I know I know, The eel wasnt enough. Hopefully this inn is preparing something good. He began walking a little faster in hopes of arriving there quickly.

faircoin
2013-10-24, 01:51 PM
Kawashiro Nitori

After a few minutes of talking to the townsfolk, Nitori was recommended the inn and tavern The Pilgrim and the Chalice. After a few more minutes, Nitori learned that The Pilgrim and the Chalice was an overpriced establishment usually recommended to outsiders. Another inn and tavern, The Shrew's Meadhall located in the residential section of town, provided decent food and boarding for much cheaper prices.

~~~~~~~~

If Nitori walks into The Shrew's Meadhall...

Walking into The Shrew's Meadhall, Nitori spotted many locals—farmers, lumberjacks, hunters, foragers, craftsmen, traders, fishermen, and so on—as well as one dwarf female who stood out because, unlike most others who were drinking alcohol, she was drinking milk. There was some snickering from the others about the her choice of drink.

A barmaid was leaning on a table and being chatty with the townsfolk.

The innkeeper was tending to the bar and cleaning a mug with a towel.

No rush, but it'd be useful if I could get a list and breakdown of all of Nitori's gramarie devices.

~~~~~~~~

Bachus

Bachus walked into The Pilgrim and the Chalice.

There were many sorts of people inside, including traders, merchants, rich townsfolk, and priests, but most prominent were the adventurers. Two adventuring parties stood out: a party of six excited novice-looking adventurers, and a party of four quiet veteran-looking adventurers. To the side, sitting at a table and doing absolutely nothing, was a human male in a blue shirt. His face was blank and inexpressive, and staring straight ahead at a wall.

There were three barmaids, busily walking about with trays of food and drinks. A female gnome bard was entertaining a group of traders, merchants, and adventurers with jokes and lyre-strumming. The innkeeper was tending to the bar with a bored look on his face.

~~~~~~~~

Darsha Emberstorm, Selemyr Falaren, and Eldric Iberhardt

"You mentioned a problem? Is there any way I might help? It'd ruin an old man's day if I had to walk by and do nothing."

"Hi, Sel!" said Elumin cheerfully. "It's too bad you aren't a wizard. I wish I was a wizard."

"Another actor!" said Anne to Selemyr. "Well, former actor anyways. Well met." She sighed. "Anyhow, I wouldn't want to trouble a stranger, but we hired an illusionist from Arbhun to do our stage effects for one of our plays—King Under the Mountain, you've heard of it?—and he's perpetually drunk. Missed our recital today, probably because he's drinking around somewhere. Brilliant illusionist, you know, I thought we got such a good deal. But the hidden cost was his drinking problem. I should've known the service came too cheap!"

"His name is Gyles," said Elumin. "He's a nice person. He used to be a battlemage, and served many tours of duty with our Lord! He didn't drink back then, though."

"Come to think of it," said Anne, "he started drinking about when the adventurers came around. Maybe they're wearing on his nerves a little too much?"

Phelix-Mu
2013-10-24, 07:13 PM
Darsha

The wispling, hearing that tidbit that constitutes a good lead, decides to head to look for Gyles. Drunk tongues wag better than most, she thinks.

She wanders near Selemyr nonchalantly, then casts a her gaze up into the sky, seeming to gaze at the sun for a few moments. Relying on the glare to momentarily dazzle her (as it does anyone that stares at the sun), she staggers about blindly, tripping right next to Selemyr.

"Oh, goodness," she says, directing herself as much at the actors as Selemyr. "I guess I've waited a little too long to get that drink. May I ask the cheapest place in town to procure some liquid fortitude? My pockets are rather lighter than I'd like, and I've just walked half the day to get here."

After her rather suspicious performance, Darsha proceeds first to wherever the local actors indicate, hoping to track down Gyles. Or at least a bartender or server that has sold him alcohol.

Pseudo_Nym
2013-10-25, 02:34 PM
Selemyr stares in the direction they point Darsha for a moment, then checks his purse to see if it's all there. Suddenly, he spins around, smiling again.

"King Under the Mountain! Haven't see that one in years. I could go talk to this mage of yours, if you like. You've got to know how to handle these wizard types - there was this transmuter I knew, once..." He chuckles. "Suffice to say, I'll never look at oatmeal the same way again!" He stares off into space, smiling vacantly.

"Where is he? I could use the exercise." If they direct him to the same place as Darsha, he goes, but keeps his distance, watching how she handles it.

faircoin
2013-10-25, 08:15 PM
Darsha Emberstorm, Selemyr Falaren, and Eldric Iberhardt

"I guess I've waited a little too long to get that drink. May I ask the cheapest place in town to procure some liquid fortitude? My pockets are rather lighter than I'd like, and I've just walked half the day to get here."

"The cheapest place?" said Anne. "Definitely not The Pilgrim and the Chalice. Try The Shrew's Meadhall." Anne gave Darsha directions to The Shrew's Meadhall. Just in case, Darsha also got directions to The Pilgrim and the Chalice.

~~~~~~~~

"Where is he? I could use the exercise."

"You'll help us?" said Anne. "Thank you!"

"Are we just going to ignore that comment about the oatmeal?" said Elumin.

"I don't know where you can find Gyles," said Anne. "Otherwise we'd have dragged his ass over to this recital already. He frequents The Pilgrim and the Chalice a lot, though."

"What about the oatmeal?" said Elumin.

"Don't worry about Gyles," said Anne. "He's drunk, but pretty mild. Won't vomit, won't get violent. Cheerful guy."

"The oatm—" began Elumin.

"Tell Gyles we said 'hi'," said Anne. "And tell him to get his ass over here."

DanteTheDragon
2013-10-26, 05:23 AM
Looking over at the expressionless man as he walked to the bar he couldn't help but wonder what was on his mind. Arriving at the bar he looked the inkeeper over saying
id like two mugs of whatever will make a man drunk quickly and two meals sent over to that table over there if meals are still being served that is. If i can id also like another two mugs right now.

Placing the necessary currency on the table he picked up the two alcoholic beverages and walked over to the table with the blank faced man.

Sitting down as he placed one mug in front of the man he said.

You look as if youv had better days and troubled thoughts. Nudging the mug closer to him Care to talk about it over a few drinks and a meal? Coping with things is always a bit easier with a full stomach and some company. Plus your getting a free meal out of it. Chuckling he took a drink from his mug a little surprised at the taste. It was a rich wine that tasted of grapes and spice and it settled on his tongue quite nicely. Licking his lips a little he said Wow this stuff is pretty nice. I wonder what its called ill have to see if i can get how to make it someday.

Diplomacy check

[roll0]
phew thank goodness. I thought i was getting a 5. I need someone with good conversation skills around lol.

Phelix-Mu
2013-10-26, 09:36 PM
Darsha

Darsha proceeds to the Shrew's Meadhall and asks after Gyles. Generally, does he frequent all the drinking establishments or just one, does he have a favorite drink, is he a bad drunk. She will attempt to be casual about her inquiries.

Kind of phoning this one in. Sorry, haven't felt so good today (yay, the weekend's the time for caffeine withdrawal!). Plus, it seems she may not discover anything at this place if he's not there.

faircoin
2013-10-27, 02:45 PM
Bachus

id like two mugs of whatever will make a man drunk quickly and two meals sent over to that table over there if meals are still being served that is. If i can id also like another two mugs right now.

"That'll be eight copper," said the innkeeper. He handed out two mugs of what looked like ale.

~~~~~~~~

Care to talk about it over a few drinks and a meal? Coping with things is always a bit easier with a full stomach and some company. Plus your getting a free meal out of it.

The man in the blue shirt looked at Bachus. The man did not accept the mug. "I've lost my appetite for drink," he said. "Nor am I coping with anything. I am content. As is. You look like a warrior?"

~~~~~~~~

Darsha Emberstorm and Kawashiro Nitori

Darsha asked around for information on Gyles. All she got in response were sour looks.

"Rather'd not talk about it," said the innkeeper. "If you don't mind, outsider. Sharin' this sort of information is, hmm, well, we don't talk behind others' backs."

~~~~~~~~

Eldric Iberhardt

Eldric continued to Castle Arbhun. The guards at the north gate seemed wary of him, but as he was leaving town, they did not attempt to stop him.

Outside of Hewick, Eldric walked on a path that ascended a mountain. There was some traffic—primarily messengers, traders, and soldiers, although here and there Eldric spotted what looked like pilgrims—and the path was heavily patrolled (and so Eldric received many strange looks from soldiers), but Eldric made it to the Castle with little difficulty.

The front gates of Arbhun had seven guards standing about. They were clearly trained and competent soldiers, much more professional than the ones back in Hewick. Their equipment included guisarmes, longswords, javelins, and chain shirts. Two of them wore breastplate and carried greataxes.

Eldric spoke.

"The guards at the gate asked me to make my presence known here. I am a Knight of the Scale, and swear that I mean no harm to this land. Do you have further directions for me, or shall I return to town?"

"A Knight of the Scale?" said one guard, frowning. "Your presence is worrying, but so long as you keep your peace, it is none of our business what you do here."

"It's good you reported to us first," said another guard. "Someone like you, around here—there could've been some misunderstandings. Tim," he addressed another guard, "go tell the Captain we've a knight from Riovanes in town."

The first guard said, "As you are a knight, you are extended an invitation into the castle. With an escort, of course—you understand."

Phelix-Mu
2013-10-29, 09:20 PM
Darsha

"I'm sure Gyles would appreciate your discretion," she replies to the barkeep, "...except there are only two drinking spots in town. If he's not here, he's there, so it's not a big secret or anything."

Darsha shrugs and leaves, headed for The Pilgrim and the Chalice. Sometimes people just don't make sense, she thinks.

Once at the other establishment, she repeats her inquiries after having a look around. If she spots any familiar faces (like party members), she'll probably inquire with them first.

TiaC
2013-10-30, 02:33 AM
"It's good you reported to us first," said another guard. "Someone like you, around here—there could've been some misunderstandings. Tim," he addressed another guard, "go tell the Captain we've a knight from Riovanes in town."

The first guard said, "As you are a knight, you are extended an invitation into the castle. With an escort, of course—you understand."
"Of course, I understand that you have had troublemakers recently, security is to be expected. I was planning on staying in the area for a few days at least. I currently lack a quest and have found that rumors of trouble in the surrounding area will gather in the seat of a principality. While I remain in town, you may call upon me for aid." Says Eldric before stepping to the side to wait for either the captain or an escort.

After waiting for a minute he turns to a guard and asks "The people of this land do not know that they have nothing to fear from my race. Would you have any advice as to how I could appear less threatening?"

DanteTheDragon
2013-10-30, 05:29 AM
The man in the blue shirt looked at Bachus. The man did not accept the mug. "I've lost my appetite for drink," he said. "Nor am I coping with anything. I am content. As is. You look like a warrior?"

Well you wouldnt be wrong by calling me that, thats for sure.. Grinning a little before taking another drink from the mug.

If you are content and choose not to drink then may i ask why it is that you are sitting by a bar in an overpriced inn surrounded by drunks and just sitting there staring a hole into that wall right over there? He said motioning to the area on the wall, Mug in hand.

Im sure there are a few things you may find more worth while than being here. Id be with family right now if I could.

faircoin
2013-11-01, 02:56 AM
Darsha Emberstorm

Darsha entered The Pilgrim and the Chalice.

~~~~~~~~

Eldric Iberhardt

"The people of this land do not know that they have nothing to fear from my race. Would you have any advice as to how I could appear less threatening?"

The first guard said, "You've done what you can, what with the robes and all. A scarf might help. I don't think your appearance can be helped."

Another guard said, "If you wish to enter Castle Arbhun, I can be your escort."

~~~~~~~~

If Eldric chooses to enter...

Eldric was escorted by the guard who offered the escort. He introduced himself as James.

Castle Arbhun was primarily made of stone. The construction was very well done. It was heavily guarded, but only at key spots, including the keep, the gatehouse, the barracks, and the yard (in these regions, one could expect anywhere from ten to fifteen soldiers—except the barracks and the yard, both of which contained over thirty soldiers). Most parts of the castle were relatively unguarded (one or two soldiers in the library, for example), but a patrol of five passed through these regions at regular intervals.

Special rooms, like the throne room, were guarded by special-looking soldiers.

Eldric could visit the gatehouse, the keep, the barracks, the yard, the main chamber, the dining room, the kitchens, the storehouse, the throne room, the library, the main hall, and the Lord's chambers. He could also look for other places not listed above to visit.

~~~~~~~~

Bachus

Im sure there are a few things you may find more worth while than being here. Id be with family right now if I could.

"There are things I'd rather be doing?" said the man in the blue shirt. "I'm not properly equipped for any of the things I'd like to be doing. And you? What's your excuse to be away from your family?"

The man sighed and stretched luxuriantly. "I'm working out what I should be doing next," he said. "Do you know why so many pilgrims visit Hewick? Atop the mountains to our north, on the peak above Arbhun, is said to be a secret spring which grants wishes."

DanteTheDragon
2013-11-01, 03:59 AM
"There are things I'd rather be doing?" said the man in the blue shirt. "I'm not properly equipped for any of the things I'd like to be doing. And you? What's your excuse to be away from your family?

Protection and security of course. I am away from them so that i may ensure a good future for those i care about. It may be saddening when i am away for long but its worth it just to see her happy.

The man sighed and stretched luxuriantly. "I'm working out what I should be doing next," he said. "Do you know why so many pilgrims visit Hewick? Atop the mountains to our north, on the peak above Arbhun, is said to be a secret spring which grants wishes."

Leaning back and scratching lightly the area above his forearm

A wish granting well...something about it sounds a little strange dont you think? I mean if it truly does grant wishes then how many people have made it there? What have they wished? what is stopping everyone from getting there? I mean for all we know a current royal family may have been born by a wish from that spring. What if someone evil got there hands on that spring?

Raising his mug and saying nonchalantly as you can see, something about that just seems a bit strange...then again maybe its not so strange. We do live in a land of many mysteries after all.

Chuckling a little and taking a drink from his mug. It sounds like you have quite a bit of fun in your future, What exactly is it that makes you ill equipped to venture into such a place?......and what is it that is so important to you that your willing to go to such a place to grant your wish. Forgive me, I just find it very interesting He gave a small laugh and drained his mug.

faircoin
2013-11-01, 05:41 PM
Bachus

A wish granting well...something about it sounds a little strange dont you think? I mean if it truly does grant wishes then how many people have made it there? What have they wished? what is stopping everyone from getting there? I mean for all we know a current royal family may have been born by a wish from that spring. What if someone evil got there hands on that spring?

"It's just a local legend," said the man in the blue shirt.

as you can see, something about that just seems a bit strange...then again maybe its not so strange. We do live in a land of many mysteries after all.

"There's nothing strange about legends and tales," said the man. "It's common to most mortal societies."

It sounds like you have quite a bit of fun in your future, What exactly is it that makes you ill equipped to venture into such a place?......and what is it that is so important to you that your willing to go to such a place to grant your wish. Forgive me, I just find it very interesting

"I am not ill-equipped to make a pilgrimage," said the man. "I am ill-equipped to make a wish. It's not important either; I'm here to satisfy my curiosity and nothing more. What are you up to, warrior? Searching for an adventure? This tavern is the gathering spot for many adventuring parties. Perhaps you'd like to spar someone?"

Phelix-Mu
2013-11-01, 05:53 PM
Darsha

Darsha moves toward Bacchus. Overhearing the talk of pilgrims, she decides on her approach.

"Hello again," she says warmly to Bacchus, coming up beside him and the stranger. "I've heard of this pilgrimage as well as I went about town. Perhaps it would be a nice hike to visit this mystical place; chance to see the sights and such. Aside from the festival and the castle, it seems to be a big draw for travelers."

She stops, and takes note of the stranger. "Ah, sorry, I hope I didn't interrupt. I'll just go grab myself a beverage," she says, and heads over to the bar, buying two mugs of hard cider or the like, tipping generously. Then she heads back to the conversation, listening carefully as she aggressively consumes the first mug.

Note, Darsha is immune to poisons. Does that mean that she is immune to intoxication (the common interpretation)? I'd just like to know before I have her start throwing down with Bacchus....:smallsmile:

TiaC
2013-11-02, 05:25 AM
Another guard said, "If you wish to enter Castle Arbhun, I can be your escort."
"Thank you, I would be glad to have you" Eldric accepts.

Eldric was escorted by the guard who offered the escort. He introduced himself as James.

Castle Arbhun was primarily made of stone. The construction was very well done. It was heavily guarded, but only at key spots, including the keep, the gatehouse, the barracks, and the yard (in these regions, one could expect anywhere from ten to fifteen soldiers—except the barracks and the yard, both of which contained over thirty soldiers). Most parts of the castle were relatively unguarded (one or two soldiers in the library, for example), but a patrol of five passed through these regions at regular intervals.

Special rooms, like the throne room, were guarded by special-looking soldiers.

Eldric could visit the gatehouse, the keep, the barracks, the yard, the main chamber, the dining room, the kitchens, the storehouse, the throne room, the library, the main hall, and the Lord's chambers. He could also look for other places not listed above to visit.

"Well James, where would you recommend I begin? Should I speak to your captain? Or should I inform the seneschal or the servants of my presence? If you think that I need to do none of this, I would be interested in your lord's library." Eldric turns to James for aid in navigating noble etiquette, trusting that he would have seen other guests act.

Pseudo_Nym
2013-11-04, 08:40 AM
It takes real talent to get so thoroughly lost in so little time. Some would call it impossible. But when your mind is as attuned to the non-Euclidian geometry of the lower planes as Sel's, anything can happen.

Before long, he finds himself wandering dark back allies, still wearing his crown, asking everyone he meets for directions to the most expensive bar in town.

faircoin
2013-11-04, 04:58 PM
Eldric Iberhardt

"Well James, where would you recommend I begin? Should I speak to your captain? Or should I inform the seneschal or the servants of my presence? If you think that I need to do none of this, I would be interested in your lord's library."

James said, "I think the Lord would be interested to know that a knight is present."

A passing guard said, "Not so fast. The Lord is in mourning. The throne room is off limits."

"Very well," said James. "Then let's to the library."

~~~~~~~~

At the library...

The library was lined with rows of bookshelves filled to the brim. Towards the far end of the library, near the windows, were lots of simple wooden chairs and tables. There were five scholars present. Three were reading at wooden tables. Two were browsing the bookshelves.

The majority of the books present were on history or geography. Some books were about royalty and nobility. A few were about local affairs. There was an open trapdoor in the center of the room. Three soldiers in plain clothes were climbing out through the trapdoor, carrying lots of books on engineering and warfare.

Sitting at a wooden table across the room was Marach. Marach looked bored. He was not doing anything.

Marach was surrounded by three fully-armored guards. They were watching him very intently.

"When?" said Marach.

"Not right now, Sir," said a guard. "The Lord is in mourning."

"See to it he finishes soon," said Marach mildly, "or Hewick will be in mourning as well."

The guards stiffened. One said, "I'll see what I can do." He marched out of the room.

~~~~~~~

Selemyr Falaren

Asking around for the most expensive bar, Selemyr received directions to The Pilgrim and the Chalice, as well as many strange looks. Between his headgear and his asking for expensive bars, well... the strange looks were only expected.

DanteTheDragon
2013-11-04, 05:47 PM
"I am not ill-equipped to make a pilgrimage," said the man. "I am ill-equipped to make a wish. It's not important either; I'm here to satisfy my curiosity and nothing more. What are you up to, warrior? Searching for an adventure? This tavern is the gathering spot for many adventuring parties. Perhaps you'd like to spar someone?"

me? Haha im just here for the food and some sleep. Im in this city doing a job, Guarding a few wealthy nobles on there visit to this festival, seems to be an easy job so far considering nothings gone wrong as of yet. As for Duels, there foolish things for prideful and foolish men that usually end with a man dead when he was of better use elsewhere. If two men wish to settle there differences they should just spar. Beating each other up with wooden weapons suffice just as well and rarely kill.

Hearing what Darsha says He raised the second mug. Hello again you have fun on your trip around town? He chuckled a little at the thought of the small assassin skipping through town.

looking back towards the man. Forgive me in all this talk i forgot introductions. You may call me Bachus. May i ask your name? He extended his hand in a friendly manner.

Phelix-Mu
2013-11-05, 03:41 PM
Darsha

The wispling finishes her second mug as the men talk. Her eyes wander around the tavern, examining the gathered people as her mind wanders.

All the talk of violence and fighting brought Darsha's mind to the past. Images of former marks, now departed to the afterlife, move before her mind's eye; their final look as each realized their end had come, and those that never even got that last moment. Is this how the adventurers and soldiers see death? she thinks. For Darsha, the moments were brief, the death often uncontested and swift. She'd engaged in open combat, of course, but surprising targets when they were alone and defenseless was her preferred mode of operation. Do these others see it as a matter of business, to be approached professionally and expedited?

Must be something in the mountain air, she concludes. I'm overthinking this.

TiaC
2013-11-06, 01:32 AM
\James said, "I think the Lord would be interested to know that a knight is present."

A passing guard said, "Not so fast. The Lord is in mourning. The throne room is off limits."

"Very well," said James. "Then let's to the library."

"It would be somewhat impolite to announce myself by bursting into the throne room unexpected in any case. I trust that your captain will see to it that my presence is made known to those who have need of that information?" Eldric nods and follows James.

As they walk, Eldric asks "I had not heard of any tragedy in these lands. May I ask the cause of your lord's grief so that I do not give offense in ignorance?"

~~~~~~~~

At the library...

Sitting at a wooden table across the room was Marach. Marach looked bored. He was not doing anything.

Marach was surrounded by three fully-armored guards. They were watching him very intently.

"When?" said Marach.

"Not right now, Sir," said a guard. "The Lord is in mourning."

"See to it he finishes soon," said Marach mildly, "or Hewick will be in mourning as well."

The guards stiffened. One said, "I'll see what I can do." He marched out of the room.

Upon entering, Eldric thanks James. He then greets Marach "I had not expected to see you again after you left in such a hurry, Master Marach. May I ask what is transpiring here, or do I overreach myself?" That last is said to include the guards as targets of the question. He disapproves of Marach's tone, and this comes through a bit in his speech.

Pseudo_Nym
2013-11-07, 08:07 AM
Nice folks. Friendly people.

Selemyr enters the Pilgrim and the Chalice, looking perhaps overly pleased with his navigation skills. He sits down.

faircoin
2013-11-07, 07:02 PM
Bachus, Darsha Emberstorm, and Selemyr Falaren

Beating each other up with wooden weapons suffice just as well and rarely kill.

"That's too bad," said the man in the blue shirt. "There's nothing quite like the adrenaline from combat. Where I'm from, it's said that a man (or woman, as it were) is defined by what he enjoys, regardless of his actions. The most reluctant adventurer can kill, but he is not a killer. A man who enjoys bloodshed, on the other hand—here we have a real killer.

"So, warrior, I understand your position very well. By fighting only out of necessity, you avoid the ethical culpability of combat."

~~~~~~~~

Forgive me in all this talk i forgot introductions. You may call me Bachus. May i ask your name?

"Hello, Bachus," said the man. "I am Ezel."

~~~~~~~~

Eldric Iberhardt

"I had not expected to see you again after you left in such a hurry, Master Marach. May I ask what is transpiring here, or do I overreach myself?"

"Well, hello, Sir Knight," said Marach. "I'm here to do important time-sensitive research, and the Lord himself guaranteed me this. It's unfortunate he hasn't kept to his word. It's also very dangerous, for all of us involved."

"You've met?" said James to Eldric. "This is Foreign Affairs Officer Marach from the Imperial Council of Cantal." Turning to Marach, James said, "Sir, I assume you're here to investigate the rumors of the massacre on Cheywood trail?"

"No, actually," said Marach. "The Council informed me they weren't going to investigate that. I'm here instead to discuss a private matter with Lord Damsev. One that, given its importance, should've been at the top of his priorities."

"You will have to excuse the Lord," said James, "at this moment he is mourning the death of his children."

Phelix-Mu
2013-11-07, 08:45 PM
Darsha

A little disoriented from her meditation on the nature of violence and death, Darsha interjects at some point after Ezel introduces himself.

"Hello, Ezel. I like being good at what I'm doing, but I'm not good at talking. Do you know a man named Gyles?" she asks, hoping to cut to the chase. The mention of adrenaline and enjoying bloodshed had put her in a strange headspace, and she was starting to imagine how many people she'd need to kill if she needed to fight her way out of the tavern.

"Oh, look, it's Sel," she adds in a quiet tone as the elf enters the tavern, still somewhat occupied by her 'head count' as she determines the fastest route of egress from the tavern.

DanteTheDragon
2013-11-10, 08:12 PM
looking over in the aforementioned direction Bachus said oh hello there Selemir pleasure to see you again didnt know where you had gone off to.

draining the second mug of its contents dry he stood up patting selemire on the shoulder he said sit take my chair i think ill head to my room for now, pleasure he to have met you sir Ezel. May you have luck finding yourself an appropriate wish. and with that he went over to the bartender paying for a room and heading in the direction it would be to rest until the next day.

I wonder what kind of events are around here, well then ill have to find out tomorrow. How many guards are participating i wonder.he thought this over to himself as he climbed the steps to his room..

TiaC
2013-11-11, 03:00 AM
"Well, hello, Sir Knight," said Marach. "I'm here to do important time-sensitive research, and the Lord himself guaranteed me this. It's unfortunate he hasn't kept to his word. It's also very dangerous, for all of us involved."

"You've met?" said James to Eldric. "This is Foreign Affairs Officer Marach from the Imperial Council of Cantal."

"We shared a camp and a conversation last night along with some other travelers, although he presented himself as a mere scholar." Eldric answers James' question.

Turning to Marach, James said, "Sir, I assume you're here to investigate the rumors of the massacre on Cheywood trail?"

"No, actually," said Marach. "The Council informed me they weren't going to investigate that. I'm here instead to discuss a private matter with Lord Damsev. One that, given its importance, should've been at the top of his priorities."

"You will have to excuse the Lord," said James, "at this moment he is mourning the death of his children."

Eldric is visibly surprised and distressed at hearing this. "It is always a great sorrow when those we love are taken before their time. May I inquire as to their names and what occurred so that I may include them in my prayers?