PDA

View Full Version : Virtuoso / Sublime Chord question

lady2beetle
2013-10-07, 03:29 PM
Quick question about the Bard 8 / Virtuoso 2 / Sublime Chord 2 / Virtuoso 8 combo.

As I understand it, the idea is that Virtuoso is intended to add spellcasting levels as follows:

1st - N/A
2nd - +1 Bard Spellcasting
3rd, etc. - +1 Sublime Chord

My question is, is this legal? The description says:

Spells per Day/Spells Known: Beginning at 2nd level, a virtuoso gains new spells per day (and spells known, if applicable) as if he had also gained a level in an arcane spellcasting class to which he belonged before adding the prestige class level. He does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained. If he had more than one arcane spellcasting class before becoming a virtuoso, he must decide to which class to add each level for the purpose of determining spells per day and spells known.

So, from the sounds of it, I can change which spellcasting class I add at each level, but technically, I haven't taken any levels of Sublime Chord before I take my first level of Virtuoso. So how would you guys interpret that?

Red Fel
2013-10-07, 03:40 PM
Quick question about the Bard 8 / Virtuoso 2 / Sublime Chord 2 / Virtuoso 8 combo.

As I understand it, the idea is that Virtuoso is intended to add spellcasting levels as follows:

1st - N/A
2nd - +1 Bard Spellcasting
3rd, etc. - +1 Sublime Chord

My question is, is this legal? The description says:

Spells per Day/Spells Known: Beginning at 2nd level, a virtuoso gains new spells per day (and spells known, if applicable) as if he had also gained a level in an arcane spellcasting class to which he belonged before adding the prestige class level. He does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained. If he had more than one arcane spellcasting class before becoming a virtuoso, he must decide to which class to add each level for the purpose of determining spells per day and spells known.

So, from the sounds of it, I can change which spellcasting class I add at each level, but technically, I haven't taken any levels of Sublime Chord before I take my first level of Virtuoso. So how would you guys interpret that?

Note the qualifying language: "before adding the prestige class level." Not "before adding the prestige class." Thus, your build is legitimate; at Vrt 2, you only have Bard casting to advance, but after taking SC, you can advance SC casting with Vrt.

lady2beetle
2013-10-07, 04:17 PM
Oh. Doh. I missed that part. Awesome. Thanks!