PDA

View Full Version : That lucky son of a bitch

Gwazi Magnum
2013-10-07, 04:00 PM
Basically, looking for advice/ideas on a character whose simply really lucky.

He has no real skills, probably to most is nothing more than an every day commoner. But in truth is extremely lucky and does the most amazing of things by pure luck.

Any idea of anything in D&D works for this that would make an effective character?

Hyena
2013-10-07, 04:02 PM
Short answer: no.
Long answer: Only if he is permitted to use magic items, but you specifically said he is to be not more powerful then a commoner.

Fax Celestis
2013-10-07, 04:07 PM
Complete Scoundrel is your friend. Play whatever class you want, but don't expect to be very good at spellcasting. I'm a fan of cleric with luck domain.

Take a bunch of [Luck] feats, get Luck of Heroes (PGtF) if you qualify, and go into Fortune's Friend.

Alternatively, Halfling Hexblade/Luckstealer is pretty cool, but mechanically not very powerful.

Segev
2013-10-07, 04:08 PM
There are two approaches to this, and you'll likely have to combine them both.

The straight-forward one is to crack open Complete Scoundrel and look up all of the Luck feats (and possibly skill tricks; I forget if there are luck-based ones there). Look at the class Fortune's Friend; it may help as well. Take at least one level of Warlock and pick up The Dark One's Own Luck. (More levels and judicious choices of Invocations can justify other effects as "just lucky," too.) Fatespinner out of Compete Arcane has a little bit of luck-fluff to it, too, but it's a heavy arcane PrC.

The second, which Warlock is already treading into, is your class selection. You need to re-fluff your class features as "lucky" rather than things you are actually good at. Wizard/Sorcerer effects like True Strike can be just plain lucky, possibly with a "mantra" you chant just before you get your luck going. Psionic powers can be pure luck, honest. Some things will be particularly hard to fluff for it. Eldrich Blast from your Warlock levels (if any) is not "lucky." But be imaginative. Perhaps he's a cleric of a god of Luck with the Luck domain. His divine spells are lucky miracles given by his god's favor. A Favored Soul would fit here, too, though getting the domain access is a little trickier.

If you want to make him "look" like he's just a lucky joe schmoe with no "class levels," it's all about the re-fluffing of your abilities and your choice in garb and demeanor.

JaronK
2013-10-07, 04:19 PM
A Bard with Bardic Knack and Jack of All Trades can get +1/2 level to all skill checks, but this doesn't stack with ranks. So you can be completely unskilled in anything and just fake it. Throw in a bunch of luck feats and you should be good to go.

JaronK

John Longarrow
2013-10-07, 04:24 PM
Is this for a PC or NPC? Answers change depending on which.

Equinox
2013-10-07, 04:25 PM
A Bard with Bardic Knack and Jack of All Trades can get +1/2 level to all skill checks, but this doesn't stack with ranks. So you can be completely unskilled in anything and just fake it. Throw in a bunch of luck feats and you should be good to go.

JaronK

Make sure that bard knows Grease. He doesn't seem to do anything special, his enemies just slip and fall, how lucky!

Story
2013-10-07, 04:29 PM
I'm a fan of cleric with luck domain.

Might as well add the Cat Domain too for a second reroll.

Incidentally, is the OP thinking of something like Rincewind by any chance?

Yogibear41
2013-10-07, 04:36 PM
If its an Npc take a 20 sided dice and replace everything lower than 16 with a 20. :smallsmile:

Gwazi Magnum
2013-10-07, 04:56 PM
Complete Scoundrel is your friend. Play whatever class you want, but don't expect to be very good at spellcasting. I'm a fan of cleric with luck domain.

Take a bunch of [Luck] feats, get Luck of Heroes (PGtF) if you qualify, and go into Fortune's Friend.

Alternatively, Halfling Hexblade/Luckstealer is pretty cool, but mechanically not very powerful.

Fortunes Friend looks fun. And the Luck of Heroes seems cool if I have the feat to spare. :)

-snip-

So for Warlock do most of the spells tend to function around luck already, or would that be a re-fluff thing?

As for re-fluffing, although it will probably be needed in some way I'm trying to minimize it because it kills half the fun for me if I just make any normal build and then re-fluff it.

I mean, I'm a huge supporter of the practice of re-fluffing, but I personally like to try to make it happen mechanic wise before re-fluffing enters the picture.

JaronK

True, something to consider.

Is this for a PC or NPC? Answers change depending on which.

PC

Make sure that bard knows Grease. He doesn't seem to do anything special, his enemies just slip and fall, how lucky!

Clever :P

Might as well add the Cat Domain too for a second reroll.

Incidentally, is the OP thinking of something like Rincewind by any chance?

Basically the concept I'm going for is damn lucky.

But in the "Everyone just works out so well for him! But he's good at almost nothing (though he never looks pathetic to others... he just seems like a normal person) but everything ends up amazing for him" sort of way.

Tulya
2013-10-07, 05:02 PM
I'd suggest going with the Factotum, visualizing and reflavoring its abilities as based on Luck. Many of the options they can spend their Inspiration points on produce effects that are similar to those of Luck feats. Even the supernatural abilities they can produce are the result of the assortment of trinkets they have, a bit of cunning improvisation, and the grace of the gods/good fortune that comes together to make things work that probably wouldn't otherwise.

I'd also recommend looking at Action Point systems for inspiration on the implementation of luck front.

Segev
2013-10-07, 05:03 PM
No, the Warlock is based around the idea that you have spell-like Invocations, most of which are 24 hour duration, and all of which are activatable at will. Dark Ones Own Luck is a luck bonus to a save of your choice; re-activate it to switch which save. Most of their Invocations would require at least a little fluffing to pass off as "luck."

However, the "pact" that got you your powers could have been with some sort of luck entity, as Chaos is one of the alignments they can have. You needn't have made the pact personally, either; it could be a bloodline thing if you prefer.

hydraa
2013-10-07, 05:08 PM
You could provide him a family heirloom that contributes as well. Something that provides a resistance (or luck for a bit more cost) bonus to his saves. It is some old family ring, belt or cloak. He doesn't know what it is it was just great grandpas, and he wears it because of that.

Also his pet rock (stone of good luck)

Fax Celestis
2013-10-07, 05:12 PM
I can't believe I forgot recommending getting a wand of improvisation, a bard spell in Spell Compendium. It is perfect for this.

Carth
2013-10-07, 05:16 PM
Goliaths have several racial feats that allow you to roll 2d20 and take the better roll. Good for a lumbering oaf type lucky person.

I dunno about using spells for this, sure most people won't be able to, but casters will be able to tell you're not just really lucky. If you do use spells...

Don't forget to add invisible spell, so that people don't even see the grease

Gwazi Magnum
2013-10-07, 05:26 PM
I'd suggest going with the Factotum, visualizing and reflavoring its abilities as based on Luck. Many of the options they can spend their Inspiration points on produce effects that are similar to those of Luck feats. Even the supernatural abilities they can produce are the result of the assortment of trinkets they have, a bit of cunning improvisation, and the grace of the gods/good fortune that comes together to make things work that probably wouldn't otherwise.

I'd also recommend looking at Action Point systems for inspiration on the implementation of luck front.

Factotum I looked at. The first few levels look fun, but past there not so much.
Also I found the Inspiration points per level a bit limiting. Then again it is per encounter so I could be wrong.

Action Points would be awesome, but that's a campaign wide variant. It's not something I could apply to just my character so if it was implemented would take a bit of his 'Luck' away in comparison to other characters.

No, the Warlock is based around the idea that you have spell-like Invocations, most of which are 24 hour duration, and all of which are activatable at will. Dark Ones Own Luck is a luck bonus to a save of your choice; re-activate it to switch which save. Most of their Invocations would require at least a little fluffing to pass off as "luck."

However, the "pact" that got you your powers could have been with some sort of luck entity, as Chaos is one of the alignments they can have. You needn't have made the pact personally, either; it could be a bloodline thing if you prefer.

True, but basically this class just turns on passive buffs?

You could provide him a family heirloom that contributes as well. Something that provides a resistance (or luck for a bit more cost) bonus to his saves. It is some old family ring, belt or cloak. He doesn't know what it is it was just great grandpas, and he wears it because of that.

Also his pet rock (stone of good luck)

I like those items a lot... :)

The rock looks really fun.

I can't believe I forgot recommending getting a wand of improvisation, a bard spell in Spell Compendium. It is perfect for this.

Cool, but if he's casting it from a wand it kind of takes away from the lucky bastard idea.

Are there any variations on wands that would make it seem like he's just being lucky rather than it being from wands?

Goliaths have several racial feats that allow you to roll 2d20 and take the better roll. Good for a lumbering oaf type lucky person.

I dunno about using spells for this, sure most people won't be able to, but casters will be able to tell you're not just really lucky. If you do use spells...

Don't forget to add invisible spell, so that people don't even see the grease

Goliaths, I remember those. Could be fun. :P

Though now I'm starting to see feat inflation with Luck feats and Goliath feats, so is there any advice as to how to get more of these feats?

eggynack
2013-10-07, 05:31 PM
Factotum I looked at. The first few levels look fun, but past there not so much.
Also I found the Inspiration points per level a bit limiting. Then again it is per encounter so I could be wrong.
You should probably just take font of inspiration from the class chronicles (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/frcc/20070606) article on factotums. It's all the inspiration points you could want.

Fax Celestis
2013-10-07, 05:40 PM
Cool, but if he's casting it from a wand it kind of takes away from the lucky bastard idea.

Are there any variations on wands that would make it seem like he's just being lucky rather than it being from wands?

If you go Factotum, you can pick it up as one of your SLAs. It's a first or second level spell.

Or, you can crib off this warforged component:

Wand Sheath (embedded component): This narrow sheath is embedded in the forearm and hand of a warforged character, occuping space as if it were a bracer. Once in place, the warforged can insert a normal magic wand into the sheath, whereupon it merges with its body. The sheath can hold a single wand. Once inserted, the wand cannot be removed until all charges are expended, at which point the wand is ejected from the sheath, ready for a new one to be inserted.

A character can activate a sheathed wand (assuming the character could activate it normally) without having to retrieve it, simply by pointing a finger and thinking about activating it. Thus the character can activate it in areas of silence or during a grapple with no problem.

Faint transmutation; CL 4th; Craft Wondrous Item, Craft Wand, polymorph; 4,000 gp...maybe using the grafting rules.

Slipperychicken
2013-10-07, 05:42 PM
This thread happened a while ago. You could be a psionic manifester. With care, it won't be obvious that you're using powers at all.

Good luck getting invited to an adventuring party though, when your elevator pitch is "I'm really lucky".

Jack_Simth
2013-10-07, 05:45 PM
...maybe using the grafting rules.
Nah. You just UMD it. Emulate a race. No problem.

Fax Celestis
2013-10-07, 05:46 PM
Nah. You just UMD it. Emulate a race. No problem.

Pffhahaha yes. UMD is the best thing ever.

Gwazi Magnum
2013-10-07, 05:48 PM
If you go Factotum, you can pick it up as one of your SLAs. It's a first or second level spell.

...maybe using the grafting rules.

http://dndtools.eu/spells/song-and-silence-a-guidebook-to-bards-and-rogues--48/improvisation--3530/

It's a 5th level Bard spell.

As for components, it wouldn't really make sense for him to have a warforged graft for no real reason, since the whole point is to make it so it's luck and not wands being used.

This thread happened a while ago. You could be a psionic manifester. With care, it won't be obvious that you're using powers at all.

Good luck getting invited to an adventuring party though, when your elevator pitch is "I'm really lucky".

If I use this character in a group, it will be in one where characters were put in before with the team not having a true idea of who they're working with.

Fax Celestis
2013-10-07, 05:51 PM
http://dndtools.eu/spells/song-and-silence-a-guidebook-to-bards-and-rogues--48/improvisation--3530/

It's a 5th level Bard spell.

...in its original source, Song and Silence, a 3.0 book. Improvisation was updated to 3.5 in Complete Adventurer (where it remained a useless 5th level spell) and again in Spell Compendium, where it was altered to be a 1st level spell. The rest of the spell appears to be functionally identical.

Gwazi Magnum
2013-10-07, 06:06 PM
...in its original source, Song and Silence, a 3.0 book. Improvisation was updated to 3.5 in Complete Adventurer (where it remained a useless 5th level spell) and again in Spell Compendium, where it was altered to be a 1st level spell. The rest of the spell appears to be functionally identical.

Found it. Though then there's the issue that Factotum only takes spells from the wizard/sorcerer list.

Epsilon Rose
2013-10-07, 06:06 PM
I have a feeling that most of what you want would best be accomplished through RP and a skill or innate-magic (e.g. wilder, Psychic Warrior, binder, warlock, incarnum) based class.

That said, if you're not opposed to home brew then the Nord's Blade (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=4779) class might set you in the right direction. It's whole focus is that it's favored by fate and it does some fairly interesting stuff. I haven't read the whole class, so I can't tell you how balanced it is, but I found it in the "High Tier 3" section of Mophbark's Homebrew Compendium, so someone thinks it's mostly balanced.

Tim Proctor
2013-10-07, 06:24 PM

JaronK

Bardic Knack requires that you have 1 rank in that skill, while Jack of All Trades give you a 1/2. So RaW they don't work together.

Able Learner ( Races of Destiny, p. 150) allows you to put a rank into a skill even if cross class for 1 point instead of 2. That works better RAW with Bardic Knack.

I would suggest Bard 8/ Fortune's Friend 5/ Fate Spinner 5/ Bard 2

Carth
2013-10-07, 06:45 PM
Though now I'm starting to see feat inflation with Luck feats and Goliath feats, so is there any advice as to how to get more of these feats?

Complete Scoundrel has a magical location, the court of thieves. Snag a trinket from it and you get a free luck feat, the WBL cost is only 6,000 GP. Then Fortune's friend. I'll second bard as base class, not just for bardic knack, but you can use the spell magic aura (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/magicAura.htm) to disguise all your magic items as non-magical, too.

Tokuhara
2013-10-07, 06:47 PM
My suggestion:

Lucky LaChance

Strongheart Halfling Cleric of Beshaba (Luck and Fate) 1/Bard 4/Fortune's Friend 5/Fatespinner 5/Bard 5

Feats:

Luck of Heroes
Luck feats
Luck Devotion
Dallah Thaun's Luck

Now, I can hear the thunderous typing of keyboards from where I sit, saying "Why take only one level in Cleric?! That's so backwards! You should do Cleric as the main..." blah blah blah. Well children, I find Cleric 1 to be a rather nice 1-level dip for a caster because of a couple minor things here:

1. Domains. This gives Lucky LaChance here Luck Devotion, Luck, and Fate, meaning that now, he has a 1/day reroll and acts during a surprise round.
2. One less selection of spells he doesn't have to make a UMD roll on. Because you have cleric's spells, you also have the Cleric's spell list, meaning you are able to use a Wand of [Insert Cleric Spell Here] without having to UMD.
3. Turn Undead. Yes, he can (if he so chooses) take Divine Feats (fluffed as Beshaba looking out for you) and voila. You are lucky, since Beshaba decided you needed to pound this meatbag's face just a hair harder.

If you have access to Dragonlance material, I'd grab Dynamic Priest, but that's wishful thinking on my part.

So there you have it. My take on a Lucky PC.

Gwazi Magnum
2013-10-07, 06:48 PM
Bardic Knack requires that you have 1 rank in that skill, while Jack of All Trades give you a 1/2. So RaW they don't work together.

Able Learner ( Races of Destiny, p. 150) allows you to put a rank into a skill even if cross class for 1 point instead of 2. That works better RAW with Bardic Knack.

I would suggest Bard 8/ Fortune's Friend 5/ Fate Spinner 5/ Bard 2

Fate Spinner looks interesting and fun to use.

But it seems largely caster level/spell based, and that leads to finding a class whose spells can be easily fluffed as luck or their spells actually function like luck.

Jack_Simth
2013-10-07, 06:53 PM
Pffhahaha yes. UMD is the best thing ever.
It's got some hilarious implications, yes.

Gwazi Magnum
2013-10-07, 06:55 PM
Complete Scoundrel has a magical location, the court of thieves. Snag a trinket from it and you get a free luck feat, the WBL cost is only 6,000 GP. Then Fortune's friend. I'll second bard as base class, not just for bardic knack, but you can use the spell magic aura (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/magicAura.htm) to disguise all your magic items as non-magical, too.

The concern though is making it actual luck or not item dependent. Magic Aura is simply a wizard trying to hide the fact that they're using wands.

My suggestion:

Lucky LaChance

Strongheart Halfling Cleric of Beshaba (Luck and Fate) 1/Bard 4/Fortune's Friend 5/Fatespinner 5/Bard 5

Feats:

Luck of Heroes
Luck feats
Luck Devotion
Dallah Thaun's Luck

Now, I can hear the thunderous typing of keyboards from where I sit, saying "Why take only one level in Cleric?! That's so backwards! You should do Cleric as the main..." blah blah blah. Well children, I find Cleric 1 to be a rather nice 1-level dip for a caster because of a couple minor things here:

1. Domains. This gives Lucky LaChance here Luck Devotion, Luck, and Fate, meaning that now, he has a 1/day reroll and acts during a surprise round.
2. One less selection of spells he doesn't have to make a UMD roll on. Because you have cleric's spells, you also have the Cleric's spell list, meaning you are able to use a Wand of [Insert Cleric Spell Here] without having to UMD.
3. Turn Undead. Yes, he can (if he so chooses) take Divine Feats (fluffed as Beshaba looking out for you) and voila. You are lucky, since Beshaba decided you needed to pound this meatbag's face just a hair harder.

If you have access to Dragonlance material, I'd grab Dynamic Priest, but that's wishful thinking on my part.

So there you have it. My take on a Lucky PC.

Seems interesting. Though what's the point of the Fate Domain? I don't really see how Uncanny Dodge would do too much, but True Strike I can see the use for.

Also Dallah Thaun's Luck, seems like a double edges sword. I get a buff but them get a de-buff, that doesn't seem so lucky.

Which Divine feats though would work well for this though? It seems cool, if I can get it working.

Carth
2013-10-07, 06:57 PM
The concern though is making it actual luck or not item dependent. Magic Aura is simply a wizard trying to hide the fact that they're using wands.

I'm figured it'd be useful for your wondrous items and so forth. You weren't planning on going VoP, right? :smallbiggrin:

Gwazi Magnum
2013-10-07, 07:01 PM
I'm figured it'd be useful for your wondrous items and so forth. You weren't planning on going VoP, right? :smallbiggrin:

No, and being an adventurer he probably would use magic items.

It's just if we're using a spell/wand to simulate him being lucky, I want it to be done in a way it actually seems like he's lucky and not just a wand blaster.

Tokuhara
2013-10-07, 07:06 PM
Seems interesting. Though what's the point of the Fate Domain? I don't really see how Uncanny Dodge would do too much, but True Strike I can see the use for.

Also Dallah Thaun's Luck, seems like a double edges sword. I get a buff but them get a de-buff, that doesn't seem so lucky.

Which Divine feats though would work well for this though? It seems cool, if I can get it working.

Well, Fate Domain's power has its uses and the spells you will get are largely useful. Plus, it's thematics. Your Fate is to be Lucky. Plus, it's Beshaba.

Look at it like this: "It's a nice to Have" bonus and a "Kinda Sucks, but Negligible" Penalty (a -2 is easily offset by an item or a friendly spell)

As for Divine feats, idk offhand. Just typed in the word Luck and that's a very basic version

Carth
2013-10-07, 07:11 PM
No, and being an adventurer he probably would use magic items.

It's just if we're using a spell/wand to simulate him being lucky, I want it to be done in a way it actually seems like he's lucky and not just a wand blaster.

Well, on a bard chassis you wouldn't need a wand, and it has a days per level duration, so you could very easily cast it without anyone ever knowing, as long as you can get away briefly enough to cast it out of sight.

Gwazi Magnum
2013-10-07, 07:30 PM
Well, Fate Domain's power has its uses and the spells you will get are largely useful. Plus, it's thematics. Your Fate is to be Lucky. Plus, it's Beshaba.

Look at it like this: "It's a nice to Have" bonus and a "Kinda Sucks, but Negligible" Penalty (a -2 is easily offset by an item or a friendly spell)

As for Divine feats, idk offhand. Just typed in the word Luck and that's a very basic version

I thought domain spells wouldn't go past level 1 if I only have one level as Cleric?

I'd rather not invest a feat into a double edge sword though when there's so many luck feats.

Well, on a bard chassis you wouldn't need a wand, and it has a days per level duration, so you could very easily cast it without anyone ever knowing, as long as you can get away briefly enough to cast it out of sight.

It's not hiding it from other characters though, it's actually wanting it be luck based.

Urpriest
2013-10-07, 08:03 PM
Why has nobody linked Milo Brushscrubber (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9208735&postcount=95) yet?

Thurbane
2013-10-08, 01:20 AM
If you're willing to go Binder, grab Balam and you get a re-roll of one skill check, saving throw or attack roll, once/5 rounds.

Red Rubber Band
2013-10-08, 02:25 AM
Why has nobody linked Milo Brushscrubber (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9208735&postcount=95) yet?

Cause I only just saw this thread :smalltongue:

Diovid
2013-10-08, 02:31 AM
I don't think anyone mentioned this yet: Luckstealer and luck feats can be combined. Look at the note about Luckstealers and [Luck] feats at the bottom of page 73 of Complete Scoundrel. This might make it a fun idea to use both Luckstealer and Fortune's Friend.

Gwazi Magnum
2013-10-08, 06:42 AM

Seems cool, but I'm having trouble telling what exactly in it would work for my concept here since it doesn't seem to be focusing mainly on luck.

If you're willing to go Binder, grab Balam and you get a re-roll of one skill check, saving throw or attack roll, once/5 rounds.

Where can I find Balam?

I don't think anyone mentioned this yet: Luckstealer and luck feats can be combined. Look at the note about Luckstealers and [Luck] feats at the bottom of page 73 of Complete Scoundrel. This might make it a fun idea to use both Luckstealer and Fortune's Friend.

I never noticed that... This does look fun :)

Currently though I was looking at both Fate Spinner and Fortunes Friend though and with those two and Luckstealer being Prestige (First two 5 levels each, stealer 10 levels) I can't fully invest in all of them... So now I need to look at prioritizing them.

Red Fel
2013-10-08, 07:06 AM
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the Lucky Dice soulmeld. For one feat (Shape Soulmeld: Lucky Dice) you can form these dice in/around your hands. They last until you unshape them. As a swift action, gain +1 luck bonus to one of the following: Attack *and* Damage rolls, Saving Throws, or all Skill and Ability checks. When you activate, roll 2d6. If the result turns up a 7, you gain this bonus to ALL of the listed rolls. Oh, and if you can invest essentia, you can increase the duration of this buff. And since it's a swift action, you can gain (or reallocate) this luck bonus every turn.

Oh, and for another feat (Open Chakra: Hands) you can bind the soulmeld to your hands (note: this will block the slot for magic items), which grants the bonus to your allies as well.

How's that for luck?

Thurbane
2013-10-08, 07:06 AM
Where can I find Balam?
Tome of Magic, page. 25

Segev
2013-10-08, 08:20 AM
True, but basically this class [warlock] just turns on passive buffs?

That depends on the Invocations you choose. There are a lot that are just passive buffs. There are others that are active powers.

The "core" power, the Eldrich Blast, is active, though, and obviously supernatural. Still, might be worth a look. It's in Complete Arcane.

hydraa
2013-10-08, 09:02 AM
Items that might fit in from Complete Scoundrel is the wheel of fortune (6000 gp).
1/8 chance of a +2 bonus to a particular ability and ability-based skill checks, 1/8 chance of +10 temp HPs and 1/8 chance of -1 to attacks and saves (for that day the bad luck happens to find him)
Mod this into some lucky token (Rabbit's foot) that he strokes before he sets off for the day. {I would think that someone this lucky might be a bit superstitious as well}

There is also a lucky charm (7000 gp) item that gives you 7 1-use charms to get a extra luck re-roll.

And there is the bands of fortune (2000 gp) that lets you channel a luck re-roll into a +2 AC or +2 save or +2 Atk and Dam roll

ArcaneGlyph
2013-10-08, 10:03 AM
I always picture the luck feats being played with a Wild Mage / Fatespinner

WeLoveFireballs
2013-10-08, 12:16 PM
A great way to do this, if your DM is ok with it is to use a caster of some kind and just reflavor all of his abilities. The warlock was mentioned earlier, his eldritch blast becomes unfortunate things happening to his opponents. While he's running around acting normal a brick falls onto the lead orc from the ceiling, then one trips, another gets attacked by a rabid rat. That would make essentially a Mr. Magoo, who obliviously wins by sheer environmental luck. :smallbiggrin:

Gwazi Magnum
2013-10-09, 10:29 AM
I'm hitting the point where this build is looking feat heavy (expecially if going Halfling/Luckstealer) so any advice on gaining more feats would be most appreciated.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the Lucky Dice soulmeld. For one feat (Shape Soulmeld: Lucky Dice) you can form these dice in/around your hands. They last until you unshape them. As a swift action, gain +1 luck bonus to one of the following: Attack *and* Damage rolls, Saving Throws, or all Skill and Ability checks. When you activate, roll 2d6. If the result turns up a 7, you gain this bonus to ALL of the listed rolls. Oh, and if you can invest essentia, you can increase the duration of this buff. And since it's a swift action, you can gain (or reallocate) this luck bonus every turn.

Oh, and for another feat (Open Chakra: Hands) you can bind the soulmeld to your hands (note: this will block the slot for magic items), which grants the bonus to your allies as well.

How's that for luck?

Interesting, I like the idea of these dice :)

Tome of Magic, page. 25

Nice, thanks. :)

It seems interesting, but there's the blood cost and the high level requirement.

That depends on the Invocations you choose. There are a lot that are just passive buffs. There are others that are active powers.

The "core" power, the Eldrich Blast, is active, though, and obviously supernatural. Still, might be worth a look. It's in Complete Arcane.

Maybe, would it work better than Bard though?

Items that might fit in from Complete Scoundrel is the wheel of fortune (6000 gp).
1/8 chance of a +2 bonus to a particular ability and ability-based skill checks, 1/8 chance of +10 temp HPs and 1/8 chance of -1 to attacks and saves (for that day the bad luck happens to find him)
Mod this into some lucky token (Rabbit's foot) that he strokes before he sets off for the day. {I would think that someone this lucky might be a bit superstitious as well}

There is also a lucky charm (7000 gp) item that gives you 7 1-use charms to get a extra luck re-roll.

And there is the bands of fortune (2000 gp) that lets you channel a luck re-roll into a +2 AC or +2 save or +2 Atk and Dam roll

Wheel of Fortune looks fun, though I admit the chance of penalty does draw me off a bit. :/

Lucky charm, I can't tell where the 7 limit is coming from.
Also, I don't want to spend gold on something that after limited uses goes to being useless.

Bands of Fortune, seems interesting. But would these buffs ever end up being more useful than a re-roll?

Nagukuk
2013-10-09, 12:21 PM
Iron Heart Surge = I'm lucky that the duration of that spell/effect was so short...

Harrow
2013-10-09, 12:49 PM
You're going to have a bit of trouble. Luck bonuses are few and far between, and they tend not to be very big numbers. Luck re-rolls are generally only good when you already have a good chance of doing something, which isn't the case unless you're skilled or somehow have incredible luck bonuses. But, all is not lost.

Favored Soul. They are a cleric-sorcerer. Instead of devoting their life to some greater force, a greater force has become devoted to them. Even better if that force is Lady Luck herself. Again, just refluff what spells you can as simply being coincidence. I know that's not really your thing, but it's a lot easier when it's already more of a natural trait than a learned skill. Also, come on, 'Favored Soul'? Doesn't that just give you the image of someone with a smug grin? Sadly, you don't get Domains, so no Luck domain, but there are other ways to get those if you really want them.

Socratov
2013-10-09, 04:21 PM
But in the "Everyone just works out so well for him! But he's good at almost nothing (though he never looks pathetic to others... he just seems like a normal person) but everything ends up amazing for him" sort of way.

So, actually the anti-thesis to Rincewind who only miraculously survives things nobody should be able to survive, but hates his bad luck in getting into such situations. (though closer reading tells us he is merely The Lady's playing piece in the games of gods, which explains both his unfortunate adventuring and both his luck at surviving those situations, also Fate hates him with a passion you cannot fathom).

Gwazi Magnum
2013-10-09, 04:40 PM
You're going to have a bit of trouble. Luck bonuses are few and far between, and they tend not to be very big numbers. Luck re-rolls are generally only good when you already have a good chance of doing something, which isn't the case unless you're skilled or somehow have incredible luck bonuses. But, all is not lost.

Favored Soul. They are a cleric-sorcerer. Instead of devoting their life to some greater force, a greater force has become devoted to them. Even better if that force is Lady Luck herself. Again, just refluff what spells you can as simply being coincidence. I know that's not really your thing, but it's a lot easier when it's already more of a natural trait than a learned skill. Also, come on, 'Favored Soul'? Doesn't that just give you the image of someone with a smug grin? Sadly, you don't get Domains, so no Luck domain, but there are other ways to get those if you really want them.

That's my main concern, making those re-rolls actually mean anything.

So, actually the anti-thesis to Rincewind who only miraculously survives things nobody should be able to survive, but hates his bad luck in getting into such situations. (though closer reading tells us he is merely The Lady's playing piece in the games of gods, which explains both his unfortunate adventuring and both his luck at surviving those situations, also Fate hates him with a passion you cannot fathom).

Perhaps, but it's a lot of fluff and even then would still be exposed to things such as detect magic, dispel magic etc.

Gwazi Magnum
2013-10-09, 04:41 PM
Iron Heart Surge = I'm lucky that the duration of that spell/effect was so short...

That requires about 6 levels of Warblade to get though.

Socratov
2013-10-09, 05:17 PM
That requires about 6 levels of Warblade to get though.

or 12 levels of non ToB classes by using the feat Martial Study

Gwazi Magnum
2013-10-10, 01:10 AM
or 12 levels of non ToB classes by using the feat Martial Study

True, I forgot about that. Thanks :P