PDA

View Full Version : Generic Class questions

Xuldarinar
2013-10-07, 08:02 PM
As the title, i've a few questions regarding the generic classes.

1: How useful/powerful are they really?

2: The spellcaster generic class exists in two forms. Arcane and Divine. Would it be reasonable to permit it to be used to make characters of other magic systems, such as mysteries or psionics?

3: An extension, or rather in relation to the 2nd question. Fundamentals and mysteries are class features listed on the tables of classes that use either, would one then require the sacrifice of bonus feats to attain them? If so, I cannot help but wonder what prerequisites one would add to them. (I would figure advancement would be similar to how they handled sneak attack)

4: While the class feature entry mentions the wizard's familiar cannot be recreated because it is too complicated, yet the familiar is listed as a class feature you can gain by exchange. Does that mean; A. typo, B. The option is invalid or C. The statement of complex class features cannot be attained is invalid?

Doc_Maynot
2013-10-07, 08:27 PM
1. Quite so, especially in a Gestalt game. So much so it is advised they never interact with the actual classes.

2/3. That would have to be a homebrew or similar discussion betwixt you and your DM.

4. Where does it say that first part? And like said before, the Generic Classes were never really supposed to be included with the proper classes, so they don't really follow all the same rules so yeah, you should be able to get that familiar.

Xuldarinar
2013-10-07, 08:32 PM
1. Quite so, especially in a Gestalt game. So much so it is advised they never interact with the actual classes.

2/3. That would have to be a homebrew or similar discussion betwixt you and your DM.

4. Where does it say that first part? And like said before, the Generic Classes were never really supposed to be included with the proper classes, so they don't really follow all the same rules so yeah, you should be able to get that familiar.

1-3: Thank you.

4. After the list of the class features they provide: "You can't recreate all the character classes of the player's handbook with these generic versions, particularly classes with complicated, unique, or specialized features such as bardic music, a wizard's familiar, or a druid's wild shape ability. If your DM allows it, you might be able to select other class features in place of one or more feats."

Doc_Maynot
2013-10-07, 08:45 PM
1-3: Thank you.

4. After the list of the class features they provide: "You can't recreate all the character classes of the player's handbook with these generic versions, particularly classes with complicated, unique, or specialized features such as bardic music, a wizard's familiar, or a druid's wild shape ability. If your DM allows it, you might be able to select other class features in place of one or more feats."

Weird, when it specifically says you get a familiar akin to the sorcerer's which is how the wizard's is determined. Must just be when it comes to ACFs or was written and then they changed their minds and just gave you the chance to get a familiar anyway. I mean, this is Wizards we are talking about and they aren't necessarily the most competent writers.

Xuldarinar
2013-10-07, 08:55 PM
Weird, when it specifically says you get a familiar akin to the sorcerer's which is how the wizard's is determined. Must just be when it comes to ACFs or was written and then they changed their minds and just gave you the chance to get a familiar anyway. I mean, this is Wizards we are talking about and they aren't necessarily the most competent writers.

Granted.

By the way, an interesting thing of note, at least to me.

Unearthed Arcana: February 2004
Expanded Psionics: April 2004
Complete Arcana: November 2004
Tome of Magic: March 2006

So, up until unearthed arcana, only Arcane and Divine existed in 3.5.

Doc_Maynot
2013-10-07, 09:00 PM
Yep, whole reason Psionics and stuff weren't induced.