PDA

View Full Version : Elemental Companion for a Druid, Decisions?

CyberThread
2013-10-07, 10:02 PM
So am looking at a air or earth elemental, in a level 14 druid, but am kind of a tossup, should I keep it as a small versions and upgrade the basic stats, or go for the full large sized elemental am entitled to ?

eggynack
2013-10-07, 11:27 PM
It looks like the choice is between medium and large, rather than small and large, and it similarly looks like large is the better option. I'ma do the earth ones. Starting with HP, the medium companion gets 51, while the large one gets 68. The medium gets 23 strength and 19 constitution, while large gets 25 strength and 19 constitution. They have the same DR, and the medium one hits less hard. I honestly can't see much in the way of advantages on the medium side. Without doing the math, it looks like the large air elemental still has the advantage. I'd say that the medium ones have an inconspicuousness advantage, but between the air elemental's command of the skies, and the earth elemental's ability to earth glide, they're pretty good at hiding.

Runestar
2013-10-08, 06:19 AM
Well, with earth glide, the earth elemental can pretty much scout out any land-based dungeon for you. :smallamused:

Chronos
2013-10-08, 09:56 AM
For earth vs. air, the question is whether you spend more time above or below ground. You're basically choosing between Flight and Earth Glide.

One thing that might push it in air's favor, though: An air elemental can carry you (or other party members) flying, but I don't think an earth elemental can carry you earth-gliding.

CyberThread
2013-10-08, 12:06 PM
What are the relative intelligence of elementals , if you have the ability to speak with them?

Xuldarinar
2013-10-08, 12:09 PM
What are the relative intelligence of elementals , if you have the ability to speak with them?

Small-Medium: 4
Large: 6

Above that, some elements are smarter than others, but from small to large it appears consistent.

CyberThread
2013-10-08, 12:46 PM
No I mean what can I expect to have at that intelligence level, that a normal animal would not have, or a human that is rated 10 int.

Interaction, not stats.

Xuldarinar
2013-10-08, 01:54 PM
No I mean what can I expect to have at that intelligence level, that a normal animal would not have, or a human that is rated 10 int.

Interaction, not stats.

Ah. well, considering that Large elementals have an intelligence comparable to ogres and trolls, on that level you can expect simular interactions relating to intelligence. I'm sorry I do not have anything more to contribute on the point.

Red Fel
2013-10-08, 01:58 PM
Given that 10 is a fairly standard Int for humans, a conversation with an elemental would be more like a conversation with :thog:.

"Elemental! How fare you today?"

"Rocky smash bug today. Bug crawling on Rocky, so Rocky smash."

"That's... very interesting, Rocky. Tell me more of the world from which you originate."

"Rocky's home have many stones in it. Orange stone, brown stone, gray stone, slightly orange-gray stone..."

"... You're not a very deep person, are you, Rocky?"

"Rocky very deep! Yesterday Rocky burrow way down into cave!"

All I'm saying is don't expect to meet the elemental David Hume.

CyberThread
2013-10-08, 02:12 PM
well thank you all, now I just need to find buff spells that work on them :P

eggynack
2013-10-08, 04:21 PM
well thank you all, now I just need to find buff spells that work on them :P
I'm inclined to think that a bite of the were X from the spell compendium would work out alright. It might even be better on an elemental companion, because elementals lack the types of natural attacks that the bite spells grant.