PDA

View Full Version : Rules for Outer Space?

tadkins
2013-10-08, 12:25 AM
Just out of morbid curiosity. A character or characters get shot up past the atmosphere of their world somehow in the typical D&D world, likely as a result of powerful magic.

Are there rules for moving around or doing anything in space? Spells or magic items that are needed to even survive it?

Sith_Happens
2013-10-08, 01:09 AM
According to the Nailed to the Sky (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/spells/nailedToTheSky.htm) epic spell, being in space deals 2d6 damage per round due to heat or cold, 1d4 damage per round due to vacuum, and you immediately begin to suffocate.

tadkins
2013-10-08, 01:32 AM
Interesting, thanks. Knew there had to be something out there.

With that in mind, would some energy protection plus a breathing spell be enough to survive outer space in a time before spacesuits? xD

Ravens_cry
2013-10-08, 01:44 AM
Interesting, thanks. Knew there had to be something out there.

With that in mind, would some energy protection plus a breathing spell be enough to survive outer space in a time before spacesuits? xD
Certainly. Necklace of Adaptation (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#necklaceofAdaptation) explicitly says it protects against vacuum by enclosing the wearer in a shell of breathable air. Be sure to pack a method of flying (RAW it can be a winged method, but that's a little silly) or you aren't getting anywhere fast.

TuggyNE
2013-10-08, 01:47 AM
Certainly. Necklace of Adaptation (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#necklaceofAdaptation) explicitly says it protects against vacuum by enclosing the wearer in a shell of breathable air. Be sure to pack a method of flying (RAW it can be a winged method, but that's a little silly) or you aren't getting anywhere fast.

Decanter of endless water would work excellently.

Ravens_cry
2013-10-08, 01:56 AM
Decanter of endless water would work excellently.
Potentially, but a heck of a lot harder to handle right. It would be very tricky to make sure that you hold it so you don't tumble into a spin due to off balance thrust.

Ruethgar
2013-10-08, 02:04 AM
If you used a decanter you should be a small, sentient construct with the ability to crush garbage into cubes and a love of random junk.

A vacuum dealing so little damage is appalling to me. I'm pretty sure GURPS has some better flushed out rules for it as well as radiation sickness which you would be getting very quickly.

TuggyNE
2013-10-08, 02:31 AM
A vacuum dealing so little damage is appalling to me.

Surprisingly, it's more accurate (http://www.geoffreylandis.com/vacuum.html) than you'd think. What kills you is asphyxia, pure and simple. (Although holding your breath will not help.)

Now, the heat and cold damage, that's pretty stupid. Space is an awesome insulator, the best in the world, so all you have is various sorts of radiation, which wouldn't be enough for even 1d6/round. And, I guess, some initial non-lethal cold damage as your moisture boils off around nose and mouth.

Ravens_cry
2013-10-08, 02:55 AM
If you used a decanter you should be a small, sentient construct with the ability to crush garbage into cubes and a love of random junk.

As well as a love/infatuation for a much sleeker flying construct with a built in wand of disintegrate.

A vacuum dealing so little damage is appalling to me. I'm pretty sure GURPS has some better flushed out rules for it as well as radiation sickness which you would be getting very quickly.
Eh, unless you are in the thick of the Van Allen belts of your local planet, I doubt the radiation would be a problem. Likely a bad sunburn quite quickly from being in direct exposure to unfiltered UV rays, but not radiation damage in the sense you likely mean.

tadkins
2013-10-08, 03:06 AM
Good stuff so far, thanks guys.

As far as the radiation would go, wouldn't any damage taken as a result fall under the energy protection spells?

(Assume for the most part that the victim is a decently leveled wizard and can probably pull out the necessary spells to survive space).

Ravens_cry
2013-10-08, 03:15 AM
Good stuff so far, thanks guys.

As far as the radiation would go, wouldn't any damage taken as a result fall under the energy protection spells?

(Assume for the most part that the victim is a decently leveled wizard and can probably pull out the necessary spells to survive space).
I would rule no. Radiation protection, in my opinion, is sufficiently different from the elemental damages that a (likely personally researched) spell would be needed. Radiation damage would be better modelled as something like poison, likely doing Con damage (or even drain!) at higher doses. 'Like' mind you, I wouldn't let poison immunity in itself let you off scott free, but it could potentially provide some protection. I personally think radiation is so outside of D&D's normal sphere that something specially researched in-game would be required, unless it was a campaign where radiation was a well known hazard, in which I would homebrew in a couple spells for the same effect.

tadkins
2013-10-08, 03:22 AM
I would rule no. Radiation protection, in my opinion, is sufficiently different from the elemental damages that a (likely personally researched) spell would be needed. Radiation damage would be better modelled as something like poison, likely doing Con damage (or even drain!) at higher doses. 'Like' mind you, I wouldn't let poison immunity in itself let you off scott free, but it could potentially provide some protection. I personally think radiation is so outside of D&D's normal sphere that something specially researched in-game would be required, unless it was a campaign where radiation was a well known hazard, in which I would homebrew in a couple spells for the same effect.

A fair point. Though if I recall there's a radioactive type of rock found in the Underdark, so radiation wouldn't be a *completely* unknown thing, I think.

Ravens_cry
2013-10-08, 03:35 AM
A fair point. Though if I recall there's a radioactive type of rock found in the Underdark, so radiation wouldn't be a *completely* unknown thing, I think.
I admit I was not aware of such, but, even then, surface dwellers without extensive experience with the Underdark would have no need for protection spells tuned to protecting from such. Drow and other Underdark races might.

Milo v3
2013-10-08, 03:38 AM
d20 Modern has space rules which could probably be used for this here (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/MSRD:Environment_and_Hazards).

It has rules for vacuums, radiation poisoning, decompression, etc.

tadkins
2013-10-08, 03:39 AM
I admit I was not aware of such, but, even then, surface dwellers without extensive experience with the Underdark would have no need for protection spells tuned to protecting from such. Drow and other Underdark races might.

Very true. I imagine any research into radiation would probably have to start there.

Ravens_cry
2013-10-08, 04:02 AM
Very true. I imagine any research into radiation would probably have to start there.
Sounds like a neat adventure in itself for a scholarly party.

TuggyNE
2013-10-08, 04:34 AM
d20 Modern has space rules which could probably be used for this here (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/MSRD:Environment_and_Hazards).

It has rules for vacuums, radiation poisoning, decompression, etc.

And they seem quite accurate and well-thought-out! I am pleasantly surprised.