PDA

View Full Version : Favourite Roleplaying Snack/Drink

Gorbad the Limb Rippa
2006-12-31, 12:51 PM
Thought this would be rather interesting thread

so lets start things off,shall we?

Popcorb,biltong(or jerky as its called in places other than south africa,though biltong is far better) and Coca-cola.

clarkvalentine
2006-12-31, 12:59 PM
We brew a big pot of coffee at every session, often have to brew a second.

TheThan
2006-12-31, 01:20 PM
Cheetos and mountain dew.

There, I beat everyone to it!

Lòkki Gallansbayne
2006-12-31, 01:38 PM
Those little wafery roll thingies with the chocolate in them only the chocolate is kind of wierd and soft but still tastes damn good. They're from Holland or Belgium or somewhere European like that and come in big blue bags with like a million in. You can buy them in Lidl.

Man those things are awesome.

Avenger337
2006-12-31, 01:50 PM
When I actually have time on my hands, I make cookies or brownies or apple cider or something along those lines.

During school, when I don't have any time, we don't eat anything unless someone bothers to bring something.

Spartan_Samuel
2006-12-31, 01:51 PM
There's always like six twelve-packs of Pepsi, and though we don't usually have snacks, sometimes there's Tostitos with a Hint of Lime, and Bold Chex Mix.

squishycube
2006-12-31, 01:56 PM
always cookies, chips, some fruit juice and later on a few beers.
By the way Lokki, Lidl is a german company, so its quite likely the candy you buy is german too.

Hario
2006-12-31, 02:02 PM
I like getting Pocky and hand them out to the players, so if they don't comply they don't get anymore... gotta love teh metagaming, jk they all get the same. I like drinking Coke while having a bag of Friday's potato skin chips they are delicious together. My Often I just drink (soda) while rping, I don't like getting things on the table and messing up my character sheets which generally reach ten pages or more.

Gorbad the Limb Rippa
2006-12-31, 02:45 PM
I like getting Pocky and hand them out to the players, so if they don't comply they don't get anymore... gotta love teh metagaming, jk they all get the same. I like drinking Coke while having a bag of Friday's potato skin chips they are delicious together. My Often I just drink (soda) while rping, I don't like getting things on the table and messing up my character sheets which generally reach ten pages or more.

Yeah iknow what u mean,
a friend of mine was roleplaying a nezumi monk called splinter(cliche,i know)
And while eating his 2 minute noodles,some one in the party made him laugh and he landed up having noodles-ala-nezumi!:smallbiggrin:

Seffbasilisk
2006-12-31, 02:54 PM
Cider and Jerky. Maybe chunks of italian bread and other meats.

Though usually it's soda and chips of sorts.

Golthur
2006-12-31, 03:01 PM
Well, pizza is traditional among most of the players in my group, along with beer.

I'm also partial to Hickory Sticks and beef jerky.

The_Werebear
2006-12-31, 03:22 PM
My group usually does Dr. Pepper and sends someone out for Taco Bell. Yay soft tacos.

Gorbad the Limb Rippa
2006-12-31, 03:24 PM
Man tacos are a good idea, unforunatly there is no such thing as taco bell in south africa

Ephraim
2006-12-31, 03:32 PM
Pretzels and popcorn are my preferred at-the-table snack. They aren't very greasy nor do they have some sort of powder coating (like Doritos) that can get all over everything. As far as beverages go, soda pop is great but I think that big bottle of water beats all (better hydration and better for you in general.) Of course, I'd be lying if I said I didn't drink coffee compulsively when hosting at my pad.

If you want to go beyond snacks to meals, the sky's the limit. When I finally get a game going around here, I intend to prepare full meals for my players. I am a cooking enthusiast but I have nobody to cook for.

Behold_the_Void
2006-12-31, 03:32 PM
Usually get a few bags of chips and some pop. I generally drink water, as I dislike pop, but it's fine for everyone else.

On some occassions there is chocolate. We've also done massive bags of Starburst.

Ephraim
2006-12-31, 03:58 PM
On some occassions there is chocolate. We've also done massive bags of Starburst.

I've noticed that large quantities of sugary snacks are terrible for long games. Everybody gobbles up the candy and ends up crashing. In fact, I have a theory that if more sensible food (like a vegetable tray or a sandwich tray) were provided at roleplay games, they'd be considerably more enjoyable. Plus, serving "adult" party food instead of just snacks adds mature credibility to what a lot of people perceive as a juvenile pastime. (Sort of offtopic, but worth mentioning, in my opinion.)

Viscount Einstrauss
2006-12-31, 04:16 PM
Pizza and oranges/tangerines/tangelos/other round orange citrus fruits. I don't know why the latter is so popular around here either. Guess I should be thankful we aren't getting scurvy.

Ephraim
2006-12-31, 04:24 PM
Pizza and oranges/tangerines/tangelos/other round orange citrus fruits. I don't know why the latter is so popular around here either. Guess I should be thankful we aren't getting scurvy.

Clowns hate tangelos. (http://130.132.177.220/img/clowns.jpg)

El Jaspero, the Pirate King
2006-12-31, 04:26 PM
I'm a fan of the pretzel, as it doesn't leave greasy or radioactive orange stuff on your hands; when I'm in the mood I bring a bag of chocolate-covered espresso beans. I usually just drink ice water.

Folie
2006-12-31, 04:27 PM
When hungry, we order some pizza along with the obligatory 2-liter bottle of Pepsi. The games are most often held in a room in the student center which happens to be near a small, out of the way kitchen that features a big fridge full of little bottles of water and juice. This kitchen is usually locked or filled with kitchen staff, but sometimes it's left open and unguarded so that we can pilfer some of the bottles.:smallbiggrin:

blackout
2006-12-31, 05:00 PM
My group always has pizza(double pepperoni and bacon, with extra cheese. :)), and the standard-issue "happy juice"(my own mixture of root beer, red creme soda, sprite, and sierra mist. Very potent, you need a seriously high Constitution to stay alive when drinking it.)

Roderick_BR
2006-12-31, 05:03 PM
Cheetos, Oreos and Coca-Cola. The classic. For real long sessions, stuff to make sandwiches.

Kevka Palazzo
2006-12-31, 05:07 PM
Well, we game in college. So usually we don't have anything. When we are lucky, we have Dr Pepper and Mountain Dew to drink. The few times we've had food we had hot-dogs, microwavable mini-cheeseburgers and self-made actual burgers. Once I had a bag of popcorn.

Fireball.Man.Guy.
2006-12-31, 05:09 PM
We always get Pizza. Sometimes we get cookies. We'll drink water of soda.

Pegasos989
2006-12-31, 05:17 PM
Pizza. Always. (Or well, I have ordered kebab a few times)

It is actually a bad choice because a while after eating such food, you become a bit tired etc. which affects gameplay. Yet, it is a tradition that shouldn't be broken!

Ephraim
2006-12-31, 05:33 PM
Pizza. Always. (Or well, I have ordered kebab a few times)

It is actually a bad choice because a while after eating such food, you become a bit tired etc. which affects gameplay. Yet, it is a tradition that shouldn't be broken!

Hogwash! Start a new tradition. Make a tuna noodle casserole. Grill hamburgers. Roast a chicken. Don't let yourself be shackled by the poor dietary traditions to which the stereotypical gamer holds.

In case nobody's noticed, food and gaming are two big things to me and I think it's a shame that gamers have so little regard for the food that they eat. Make your game into a dinner party. It isn't any harder than a little bit of prep work and and preheating the oven half an hour before your group wants a meal break.

Deathcow
2006-12-31, 05:36 PM
Thought this would be rather interesting thread

so lets start things off,shall we?

Popcorb,biltong(or jerky as its called in places other than south africa,though biltong is far better) and Coca-cola.

Biltong! You called it biltong! Brings back memories. Although you are incorrect- we called it biltong in Kenya, as well:smallbiggrin:

clarkvalentine
2006-12-31, 05:41 PM
Make your game into a dinner party. It isn't any harder than a little bit of prep work and and preheating the oven half an hour before your group wants a meal break.

With a slow-cooker or electric crockpot, this becomes really easy. We love chili, baked tortilla chips, and veggies at our games, for instance. A pound or two of browned ground beef or ground turkey, diced tomatoes, a jar of salsa, some chili powder, cumin, salt, and black pepper, toss it in the crockpot, let it stew for a few hours, serve with baked tortilla chips or pita bread, some good cheese, and raw carrots and celery. It's really easy to make, and even easier to eat at the gaming table than pizza - your fingers don't get greasy.

Skyserpent
2006-12-31, 05:47 PM
Pizza and a few Colas make for a good gaming session.

Pegasos989
2006-12-31, 05:53 PM
Hogwash! Start a new tradition. Make a tuna noodle casserole. Grill hamburgers. Roast a chicken. Don't let yourself be shackled by the poor dietary traditions to which the stereotypical gamer holds.

In case nobody's noticed, food and gaming are two big things to me and I think it's a shame that gamers have so little regard for the food that they eat. Make your game into a dinner party. It isn't any harder than a little bit of prep work and and preheating the oven half an hour before your group wants a meal break.

Sorry, can't do - I am lawful neutral. Breaking traditions is not my thing.

Viscount Einstrauss
2006-12-31, 05:59 PM
I had no idea clowns despise citrus so. They are clearly pirates of the high seas, out to make you laugh until you fall overboard.

Shhalahr Windrider
2006-12-31, 06:00 PM
Gotta go with the Spring Grove Soda (http://www.springgrovesoda.com/). What makes it worthwhile is real sugar instead of that corn syrup crap all the other sodas use. :smallbiggrin:

Gorbad the Limb Rippa
2006-12-31, 06:09 PM
Biltong! You called it biltong! Brings back memories. Although you are incorrect- we called it biltong in Kenya, as well:smallbiggrin:

Amazing ,never actually thought there would be ppl out there who know what biltong is.
wow,small world

Thrawn183
2006-12-31, 07:58 PM
Babies!

No not really *sigh*... actually we always have soft drinks and some kind of snack... sometimes chips and salsa. If people are feeling generous we'll order wings or pizza. This one girl in our group makes these amazing sugar cookies... and they are always baked just before the session so they are gooey and well, fresh! Sometimes I love my group.

Shadow of the Sun
2006-12-31, 08:03 PM
Vodka and Tang.

(FYI- if you ever get the chance to drink this, try gargling a mixture of vinegar and cyanide. It has about the same effect)

adanedhel9
2006-12-31, 09:13 PM
When we played at college, the group was typically provided random soda, juice, popcorn, and/or chips by one of the more generous members of the group (well, actually, by said member's generous parents).

For more nutritious fare, I always start with a good meal. If I was playing, I would usually bring a big sandwich, which I would polish off while everyone was still getting organized. If I was DMing, I would get my lunch or dinner early, since I had to participate moreso in the getting organized part.

I also would always have water nearby. There's nothing that kills a good time for me more than thirst. After about two sodas or juices, they just starts making me feel sick, so I can't rely on them for hydration. Plus water does a better job anyway (and if we didn't have another nearby source of water, we could use mine to clean the battle mat).

I haven't been able to play much since college, so I can only theorize about how that life change will manifest itself on this topic. I think I would do as Ephraim suggests and prepare real food for my players. Unfortunately, one of my players is very picky, which wil make things difficult.

bosssmiley
2006-12-31, 09:26 PM
Recently, it's been wine gums for me. They have the additional benefit of making great gelatinous cube models (slayer gets to eat them as a perk). :smalltongue:

blackout
2006-12-31, 09:31 PM
Recently, it's been wine gums for me. They have the additional benefit of making great gelatinous cube models (slayer gets to eat them as a perk). :smalltongue:
I like that idea of 'ya kill it, ya eat it.' :smallsmile:

TheOOB
2006-12-31, 09:32 PM
Chips and dip normally, oftentimes homemade dip at that (chili + cream cheese + salsa = good).

Other then that rootbeer, and the occasional pizza if we're playing a dinner time game.

Indoril
2006-12-31, 09:39 PM
Give me Munchos and Pepsi, or give me death.

Beleriphon
2007-01-01, 12:05 AM

Do fancy cheeses count? We usually pick up a couple of different wedges of cheese and fancy crackers. We did humus and such once, that was fun.

Shazzbaa
2007-01-01, 02:21 AM
At the college game, we pretty much don't bring food as such... except once when one player went out with enough money to get a single bag of chips from the vending machine and came back with an armful of 7 or 8 bags of chips yelling, "I WON THE LOTTERY!!"

So we had chips that day.

At home, my mom can't stand sending me off to the DM's house without at least two bags of chips and donuts and peanuts and brownies and cookies and all manner of snacky things. So... despite the fact that I really don't eat snack food, I end up bringing all of it. ^^; (this includes the Munchos for Indoril). Me, I just need some kind of sugary beverage to drink -- usually Snapple fruit drink or lemonade (or Snapple lemonade?). I don't handle caffeine well, you see...

Reidegost
2007-01-01, 02:46 AM
It depends on what house we meet at. occasionally we'll spring for pizza or something, but most of the time we just forage whatever's around. thankfully, we usually don't have much money for snacks though. Our GM is curious about foods...

Behold_the_Void
2007-01-01, 03:01 AM
I've noticed that large quantities of sugary snacks are terrible for long games. Everybody gobbles up the candy and ends up crashing. In fact, I have a theory that if more sensible food (like a vegetable tray or a sandwich tray) were provided at roleplay games, they'd be considerably more enjoyable. Plus, serving "adult" party food instead of just snacks adds mature credibility to what a lot of people perceive as a juvenile pastime. (Sort of offtopic, but worth mentioning, in my opinion.)

Not really a problem. Sugar's not really a stimulant to begin with, and I couldn't care less if people think we're "mature" or not. We're a bunch of young adults playing pretend with dice. I have no illusions on the contrary.

And honestly, I'm way more likely to grab a bag of cheap candy than I would be to serve (as some people have said) alcohol. Even if I were old enough to do so, which won't be for a few more months. "Adult" snacks are in the eye of the beholder, and beer is what immediately comes to mind when someone mentions it, which is something I would NOT want at the game table.

I'm all for vegetables or sandwiches, I eat a lot of the former anyway, but I'm also a poor college student. I tend to see gaming snacks is something for us to munch on while we game, and the cheaper the better (so long as they're remotely edible, of course).

Zaggab
2007-01-01, 09:51 AM
We drink absinthe

OK, it's not really absinthe. It's just green lemonade (Raspberry and gooseberry).

And since the friend's we play at mother is prematurely retired and likes to bake, we usually eat sugary stuff and other baked goods (buns, brownies, snickers, rice chocolate, something that tasted pure sugar that was called "radio cookie"). Which is bad, at least for me. Because I crash (as someone else said) very easily. And when I sugar crash, I almost fall asleep. And I'm the DM as well.

Narmoth
2007-01-01, 11:14 AM
Potato chips, pizza, Pepsi and Coca Cola. No beers, cause the younges player, my sister, is only 16.

Stormcrow
2007-01-01, 08:07 PM
My games have been raging for allmost a decade now and its allways been Coca Cola, the food changes but the Coke doesn't. :)

To our shame my group of usually six or seven including myself usually goes through 30 cans or ten 2L bottles a session.

As to food usually i cook, if i don't we generally take a break and drive somewhere and get take away. A Good stretch of the legs and some fresh air, some time to plan that next big battle, does everyone good.

Yodaman23
2007-01-01, 09:45 PM
My table always circulates chinese food and mountain dew. A healthy supply of assorted meat is passed around as well.

Ephraim
2007-01-01, 10:35 PM
Not really a problem. Sugar's not really a stimulant to begin with, and I couldn't care less if people think we're "mature" or not. We're a bunch of young adults playing pretend with dice. I have no illusions on the contrary.

I apologize, Behold_the_Void. I believe that I may have offended you. I did not mean to. I just happen to think that young adults playing pretend with dice is no less mature than young adults watching a sporting event or gambling. I dislike that roleplay gaming lacks the legitimacy enjoyed by other pastimes.

As far as sugary snacks go, I know that sugar is not a stimulant. Consumed in large quantities, however, it does cause the body to produce a large quantity of insulin which can cause a "sugar crash" when the sugar runs out.

Behold_the_Void
2007-01-01, 11:22 PM
I apologize, Behold_the_Void. I believe that I may have offended you. I did not mean to. I just happen to think that young adults playing pretend with dice is no less mature than young adults watching a sporting event or gambling. I dislike that roleplay gaming lacks the legitimacy enjoyed by other pastimes.

As far as sugary snacks go, I know that sugar is not a stimulant. Consumed in large quantities, however, it does cause the body to produce a large quantity of insulin which can cause a "sugar crash" when the sugar runs out.

I've not found it to be a problem. We may not have as much as people have in your groups.

A Pointy Object
2007-01-01, 11:37 PM
Flaming Hot Cheetos and Moutain Dew: Pitch Black.

Although the cheetos can be a problem at times, considering the sticky-cheese-powder factor.

My group also enjoys the traditional Italian Ovens Jumbo Pizza on Fridays.

Golthur
2007-01-02, 12:07 AM
I'll also add, back when I was younger, a traditional staple of the marathon D&D sessions was many, many bottles of Jolt cola. All the sugar, and twice the caffeine of your regular colas. Loved that stuff.

LurkerinthePlaygnd
2007-01-02, 02:00 AM
I took "Eschew Food" as a feat.

As for the messy cheese-like substance found on Cheetoh's and the like, moist towelettes work wonders:)

Aimbot
2007-01-02, 02:25 AM
I'm surprised I'm the first to mention this one:

Tea.
A pot of Irish Breakfast. Strong. Black or light sugar.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-01-02, 02:49 AM
Most deffinetly pizza with all kinds of meat on it and a good ol' fashion 24 pack of mountain dew. It's like high-octane gasoline to our D&D combustion engines.

Soniku
2007-01-02, 09:52 AM
Me? Massive pizza, garlic bread, any carbonated drink. The full takeaway pizza thing :smallbiggrin:

Mmm... gotta love haveing the choice of three italian style takeaways, each within a two minutes walk from your door :smallwink:

AKA_Bait
2007-01-02, 10:01 AM
Beer and Pizza. Alas, I shall have to change that though as I gave up drinking beer for the New Year.

Chris_Chandler
2007-01-02, 10:16 AM
Okay, let's see. We always host, and we run our Friday game from whenever everyone can get over until people give out and leave (commonly 5-midnight, though 4-3 is not unheard of), so hunger is an issue. We have three basic "groups" within the group, Me and my wife, D&S (another married couple), and "The kids", that is, the college-age poor students. Each has a turn for food, rotating weekly. Common themes include the following:

Hot dogs and Mac n' Cheese (the go-to for Me and wife, as the kids and our children love it, and it is cheap!)
Little Caesar's - about 6 boxes (oh, crappy cardboard pizza of doom!)
Spaghetti and garlic bread (of various recipes)
Taco Bell (second the soft taco)
Fried Chicken from various sources (KFC, Church's, or so rarely Popeye's)
Krystal (It's a lesser White Castle for you Yankees - It's tiny two-bite hamburgers you buy by the dozen or so, for those outside the states).
Occasional real meals on holidays and just 'cause (Usually Grilling out of some form or fashion - yay burgers and ribs!)

This is accompanied by various sweet (commonly cookies, though the holidays gave us a glut of brownies and bark) and salty snacks (usually some form of flavored tortilla chip, plain tortilla chip, and whacked-out potato chip), and also various bevereges. It is a good day when the wife gets her Cherry Coke. I prefer either sweet tea or Mtn. Dew, and the kids go to the stratosphere for "energy" drinks. There's always water for later in the game, as well.

Keep in mind that we're not eating all game through, but we've definitely got favorites at the table for when we do eat.