PDA

View Full Version : Which final fantasy was it

Tylorious
2013-10-08, 07:58 AM
Which game was it where you level up in different weapons depending on how much you use them. I am feeling like it is FF2 but I could be wrong. I am asking because I am getting a hankering to play that game and I don't remember which one it is. It's the worst feeling in the world wanting something and not even knowing what it is that you want. HELP ME!!!

Tengu_temp
2013-10-08, 08:15 AM
FF2, not to be mistaken with American FF "2", which is really FF4.

Tylorious
2013-10-08, 08:21 AM
Ok that's what I thought, now to go get lost in that game again.

Tengu_temp
2013-10-08, 08:34 AM
Good luck. I personally consider it the worst Final Fantasy game ever, but maybe you'll have fun with it.

Tylorious
2013-10-08, 08:35 AM
ha, i have different opinions on games than most, i have played through it a couple times and just remember enjoying it. i just couldn't remember which it was

EDIT: Actually, this should go in the other thread about games we like that are considered sucky.

Sylthia
2013-10-08, 04:41 PM
I had fun with FF2. It had a nice story for its time. I haven't played every FF, but I'd say FF3 (not 6) is my least favorite. I got bored halfway through it and never finished it.

erikun
2013-10-08, 08:48 PM
Final Fantasy 2 was okay. It was interesting for a little bit, then the whole "leveling" system felt quite old. On the other hand, there was a spot where you could fight some guards over and over again, and doing so could give you 8+ in all your weapons and magic, along with absurd stats. That made the rest of the game ridiculously easy.

GloatingSwine
2013-10-08, 08:56 PM
PS: level shields to 16 as soon as you get the canoe and can fight the ostrich type enemies that don't run away (dual weild shields and keep pressing attack, you just wave your shield at it which does nothing, it never runs so you can keep doing this forever).

Then equip shield and no armour and you can only be hit by magic which is weedy anyway in this game.

Game = broken immediately.

Steam
2013-10-09, 11:05 AM
If you like the mechanics of leveling up abilities through their usage, you can also take a look at the SaGa games too. The guy who did Final Fantasy 2 got shoved off into his little corner so as to not destroy that franchise, and he made his own there.

There's quite a few missteps with the SaGa games -a lot of them try new game mechanics and sometimes too many in Unlimited SaGa's case- but there's some fun stuff there.

erikun
2013-10-09, 12:01 PM
PS: level shields to 16 as soon as you get the canoe and can fight the ostrich type enemies that don't run away (dual weild shields and keep pressing attack, you just wave your shield at it which does nothing, it never runs so you can keep doing this forever).

Then equip shield and no armour and you can only be hit by magic which is weedy anyway in this game.

Game = broken immediately.
Yeah, dodge and defense scale. However, dodge runs from 0% to 99%, and once you hit 99% then nothing can hit you. I recommend just wearing enough armor that you don't drop the dodge any, but with Shields 16 you can probably achieve that with almost any armor in the game.

ShneekeyTheLost
2013-10-09, 02:47 PM
Also, you can use inter-party conflict to level up stats. Hitting other players gives the attacker experience in the weapon and defender gains xp in the appropriate defense.

Wookieetank
2013-10-09, 03:38 PM
Don't know if they fixed it in the remakes, but there was also a glitch where if you selected an action (attack, magic spell, etc.) for a character and then were on the next character, and then cancelled the previous character's action, it would still give you the xp for that action as if you had done it.

erikun
2013-10-09, 04:53 PM
Don't know if they fixed it in the remakes, but there was also a glitch where if you selected an action (attack, magic spell, etc.) for a character and then were on the next character, and then cancelled the previous character's action, it would still give you the xp for that action as if you had done it.
That was fixed for the GBA remake, and presumably PSP as well. It doesn't mean you can't game the system to all heck and break it like nobody's business, just that you can't break it that way anymore. :smallwink:

Tylorious
2013-10-10, 07:06 AM
Thanks for all the tips on how to destroy my gaming experience but I think I am just going to play it and enjoy it without all of that.

Wookieetank
2013-10-10, 07:46 AM
Thanks for all the tips on how to enhance my gaming experience but I think I am just going to play it and enjoy it without all of that.

:smallwink:

Joking aside, the number of times I got lost in that game trying to figure out where to go next, or which NPC I forgot to talk to in order to get a key term from to progress the game I ended up doing a fair bit of powerleveling without even trying to just by merits of wandering around lost. Even then though the final dugeon was a BEAST. I need to get back to my current playthrough of this game at some point, just got free reign of the boat and since its been a couple of months since I last looked at the game, I'm sure I'll have no clue where to go again since this is only my second playthrough XD.

Tylorious
2013-10-10, 08:05 AM
Joking aside, the number of times I got lost in that game trying to figure out where to go next, or which NPC I forgot to talk to in order to get a key term from to progress the game I ended up doing a fair bit of powerleveling without even trying to just by merits of wandering around lost. Even then though the final dugeon was a BEAST. I need to get back to my current playthrough of this game at some point, just got free reign of the boat and since its been a couple of months since I last looked at the game, I'm sure I'll have no clue where to go again since this is only my second playthrough XD.

I do agree with this, I have been lost a couple times. And I do have one question. How do you get around level cielings? For example I recently started and my sword level is at 3 and no longer gaining experience. I bought him a better sword but still no gain in level.

Wookieetank
2013-10-10, 08:13 AM
I do agree with this, I have been lost a couple times. And I do have one question. How do you get around level cielings? For example I recently started and my sword level is at 3 and no longer gaining experience. I bought him a better sword but still no gain in level.

I never ran into this problem myself. I did notice that levels drastically tappered off in how quickly they were to increase. I think my highest skill on my first go through was like 12, and most of my magic spells didn't make it much past 5. Which made getting the Mcguffin spell of ultimate power a bit disconcerning, particularly when it did less damage than any other spell I had at the time when I first got it.

GloatingSwine
2013-10-10, 08:47 AM
XP gain for a weapon or spell is based on the enemy in the current encounter. The formula is:

XP = NumberOfAttacks + BattleRank - WeaponSkill.

BattleRank is a constant based on the current encounter, it doesn't matter what the actual target of the skill or spell is.

So, if you have level 3 in sword and you're fighting a battle rank 1 enemy you need to make at least four attacks to gain 1XP in sword.

Which against weak enemies means you'll kill them or they'll run before that happens, so you get no XP.

This is why the double shields trick works, because even though you're fighting at low battle rank you never kill the enemy, so all you need is an enemy that never runs away and you can "use" the shield skill (which you gain XP in for making an attack with at least one shield equipped) all the times you need to gain a level every fight.

Tylorious
2013-10-10, 08:50 AM
XP gain for a weapon or spell is based on the enemy in the current encounter. The formula is:

XP = NumberOfAttacks + BattleRank - WeaponSkill.

BattleRank is a constant based on the current encounter, it doesn't matter what the actual target of the skill or spell is.

So, if you have level 3 in sword and you're fighting a battle rank 1 enemy you need to make at least four attacks to gain 1XP in sword.

Which against weak enemies means you'll kill them or they'll run before that happens, so you get no XP.

This is why the double shields trick works, because even though you're fighting at low battle rank you never kill the enemy, so all you need is an enemy that never runs away and you can "use" the shield skill (which you gain XP in for making an attack with at least one shield equipped) all the times you need to gain a level every fight.

Understood, so the stronger the enemies you find and face, the quicker you will end up leveling your weapons. But what about your actual stats like magic, MP, spirit, intelligence. I understand strength and HP

Wookieetank
2013-10-10, 10:10 AM
Understood, so the stronger the enemies you find and face, the quicker you will end up leveling your weapons. But what about your actual stats like magic, MP, spirit, intelligence. I understand strength and HP

MP is like HP, the more often you reduce your current MP pool, and the larger ammount your reduce it by, the quicker it is to increase.

IIRC spirit is tied to casting white magice spells, while intelligence is tied to casting black magic spells. So the more you cast one type of magic, the better you are at all magic of that type.

As for the Spells themselves, I thought they leved up on a per use base, but I'm not for sure on that one.

Gnoman
2013-10-10, 03:27 PM
Spells level exactly the same as weapons do. You gain Agility by having Agility, so equipping gear that boosts Agility will get you more Agility. Agility no longer sounds like a word. All other stats are increased by using them. POWER is increased by making physical attacks, the two magic stats are increased by casting the appropriate spell type, and Defense/Magic Defense are increased by taking Physical/Magic Damage.