PDA

View Full Version : Planar Travel Options

Xaragos
2013-10-08, 08:19 AM
I am hoping the playground can help me with providing some options for planar travel. My two goals are to have a short list of great get away planes with minimal negative effects on the party, friendly natives for the most part, etc. and very harmful planes for the times when you want to use plane shift offensively to send the big bad elsewhere.

If you could, please give me your rationale why. I understand the harmful plane might be trickier because it depends on the big bad sent there....cant breathe water -> water plane might be a good option...trying to deal with a vampire perhaps the fire plane or some kind of solar plane....etc.

Appreciate the help!

Edit: I will add a list here

Good Escapes:
1. Astral Plane
2. Plane of Air
3. Mechanus

Send Enemies to:
1. Elysium
2. Hades
3. The Abyss
4. Negative Energy Plane
5. The Far Realm
6. Shadow Plane
7. Carcen

Doc_Maynot
2013-10-08, 09:47 AM
Semi-Elemental Plane of Ranch Dressing... anyone? (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0802.html)

Chronos
2013-10-08, 09:50 AM
What alignment are you and the rest of your party?

Morgarion
2013-10-08, 09:58 AM
If you could, please give me your rationale why. I understand the harmful plane might be trickier because it depends on the big bad sent there....cant breathe water -> water plane might be a good option...trying to deal with a vampire perhaps the fire plane or some kind of solar plane....etc.

Appreciate the help!

The best plane to send any undead to would be the Positive Energy plane. That'll destroy it right quick.

Psyren
2013-10-08, 10:09 AM
The best plane to send any undead to would be the Positive Energy plane. That'll destroy it right quick.

This is logical and makes sense, but the RAW is a bit thornier. Because the PEP grants fast healing, it doesn't technically harm undead, and because the "healsplosion" is a fort save that doesn't affect objects, they are technically immune to that too.

Is that one in the dysfunctional rules thread? If not, it should be.

Red Fel
2013-10-08, 10:12 AM
Cast Shadow Walk while touching an enemy.

Travel to Plane of Shadow.

Make the return trip, minus one passenger.

There is a roughly 50% that your passenger will enjoy a long, unpleasant stay in a place that's sort of made of nightmares.

Brookshw
2013-10-08, 10:21 AM
Plane of air is fairly benign. Fairy realms are a casters wet dream, just don't accept gifts from the locals (assuming you're not using the nasty variant in which case it has a different flavor). Neth is kinda cool but neither amazing or vicious necessarily.

But its the planes, so you kinda have infinite options for both ends of the spectrum. Are there any specific themes adventures you wanted to run?

Chronos
2013-10-08, 10:26 AM
I'm pretty sure that was one of the first entries in the dysfunctional threads-- It's pretty widely known.

Xaragos
2013-10-08, 12:09 PM
What alignment are you and the rest of your party?

The party is quite divers from lawful good to chaotic neutral. No evil characters at all though.

nedz
2013-10-08, 04:45 PM
Is that one in the dysfunctional rules thread? If not, it should be.I'm pretty sure that was one of the first entries in the dysfunctional threads-- It's pretty widely known.

Indeed: Thread 1 Page 1

Xaragos
2013-10-09, 03:01 AM
What do you guys think about a jaunt to Mechanus? Don't they have that library there for planar touchstone purposes?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-10-09, 03:15 AM
Carceri would be a good one to send opponents to, it's a prison plane so it should be more difficult than most to escape from.

Genesis (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/spells/genesis.htm) creates your own personal pocket plane with whatever planar traits (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/planes.htm) you want. Make the Plane Shift focus to travel there needlessly complex or very unique (i.e. must be made from/contain one of your own finger/toe bones or teeth), though Gate would still be able to reach it if the caster knows of its existence. It's the perfect place to rest and prepare spells, especially if its passage of time is 24 hours or more per 1 round on the material plane. Make another one with normal passage of time and use it to Astral Projection from so you can adventure with no personal risk and not even expend charges from limited-use items. Make yet another with the dead magic trait plus every environmental hazard possible, anyone sent there offensively would be unable to escape and starve to death.

Brookshw
2013-10-09, 05:58 AM
What do you guys think about a jaunt to Mechanus? Don't they have that library there for planar touchstone purposes?

Mechanus can be fun. Get stuck in a conflict between Formorians and Modrons. Maybe hang with some inevitables. Yes, there is a library there but I don't recall offhand if it had any touchstone trait.