PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Souldrinker Optimization

Jhango
2013-10-08, 02:04 PM
Hey guys!

What at the best ways to optimize the Souldrinker PRC?
Pathfinder only please.

I was thinking Magus would be perfect, but I was just reading that the soul drain does not work with it so I'm a little at a loss on how to best optimize this fun looking PRC.

Anti-paladin would have been fun with this if it was not for the alignment restrictions.

Fouredged Sword
2013-10-08, 02:42 PM
Dhampir Cleric Souleater who drains his own soul to create free money and infinite spells. Also, carry a bunch of stalves with spells from various spell lists. You can recharge them using souls even if you don't have the correct spells. You can drain your own soul to recharge your spell slots. If you can get 9 points in your soul pool, you can cheeze your way into infinate spell recovery, as you can heal all your negative levels with a casting of restoration, then recover your casting of restoration for 8 soul points.

mregecko
2013-10-08, 02:52 PM
Dhampir Cleric Souleater who drains his own soul to create free money and infinite spells. Also, carry a bunch of stalves with spells from various spell lists. You can recharge them using souls even if you don't have the correct spells. You can drain your own soul to recharge your spell slots. If you can get 9 points in your soul pool, you can cheeze your way into infinate spell recovery, as you can heal all your negative levels with a casting of restoration, then recover your casting of restoration for 8 soul points.

Doesn't restoration have a spendy material component that would prevent this infini-combo? Or am I missing a trick.

I do love this character idea though.

Jhango
2013-10-08, 02:53 PM
Yeah, thats kinda broken, lol!

I doubt my DM would let that fly....

Fouredged Sword
2013-10-08, 03:00 PM
Well, you can make a staff of restoration and use that to keep yourself afloat. 4 soul points per charge, and you are healed. You can bank enough soul pool to make a few scrolls. You can generate 1900gp a day at 20th level without anything other than natural recovery.

You can craft 1000gp of stuff a day, so at 11th level you can craft for free. You ignore the penalties and auto pass the saves to remove the negative levels at the end of the day, so free money.

Get a means to ignore sleep and just save a casting of restoration until the morning and craft all night while the party sleeps.

Make all the staves, wondrous items, scrolls, potions, weapons, and armor your party needs.

mregecko
2013-10-08, 03:07 PM
Well, you can make a staff of restoration and use that to keep yourself afloat. 4 soul points per charge, and you are healed. You can bank enough soul pool to make a few scrolls. You can generate 1900gp a day at 20th level without anything other than natural recovery.

You can craft 1000gp of stuff a day, so at 11th level you can craft for free. You ignore the penalties and auto pass the saves to remove the negative levels at the end of the day, so free money.

Get a means to ignore sleep and just save a casting of restoration until the morning and craft all night while the party sleeps.

Make all the staves, wondrous items, scrolls, potions, weapons, and armor your party needs.

Ahh yes, I was only looking at the restoring spell slots, not the paying for components / charging staves. Awesomesauce. :-)

IronFist
2013-10-08, 04:37 PM

Hm, that sounds awesome. Would be cool if it could be done in a Magus chassis...
Wait, I think you can do it. After all, you don't need to know a spell to craft a staff, right? It just makes the check harder.

Fouredged Sword
2013-10-08, 04:58 PM
Yes, if done through a staff, you have no requirement of having restoration as a spell to pull this off. One could be a magus just fine. The temp HP you get from draining souls could be a very nice boon to your abilities in melee.

StreamOfTheSky
2013-10-08, 06:21 PM
Doesn't restoration have a spendy material component that would prevent this infini-combo? Or am I missing a trick.

Blood Money (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/b/blood-money). It's even fitting for a Dhamphir to have it!

And yes, there are ways to get it on your spell list, if needed. Not that UMD'ing a wand of blood money is terribly hard or expensive, either.

MikeGugel
2013-10-25, 12:43 PM
Blood Money can't be used easily by a divine caster since item activation takes a standard and it states it affects the next spell cast during the round, so it's limited to quicken or a suitable swift.

Picking up the spell is the way to go with Eldritch Heritage Arcane or a Prestige, but there are probably better spells to pick.

Even better is to go with an arcane caster.

IronFist
2013-10-25, 01:21 PM
Blood Money can't be used easily by a divine caster since item activation takes a standard and it states it affects the next spell cast during the round, so it's limited to quicken or a suitable swift.

Picking up the spell is the way to go with Eldritch Heritage Arcane or a Prestige, but there are probably better spells to pick.

Even better is to go with an arcane caster then take the feat that gives negative energy affinity.

But the whole point of getting Blood Money is to spam Restoration

MikeGugel
2013-10-25, 09:04 PM
As an arcane, if components are being ruled at time of casting (which makes something like wand of animate dead usable) then you can UMD restoration after using blood money. It doesn't work the other way around for a divine caster. Getting blood money in your list another way is an OK trick, but you can easily afford a wand/staff of restoration before then. Dipping for blood money is an option obviously.

You can use a soul gem worth 100gp for restoration, which is easy to come by, but you're limited by spell slots anyway. I don't think there's a way to break the economy without a staff.

avr
2013-10-25, 09:43 PM
'Make a touch attack as a standard action' might combo with a spell such as Elemental Touch, i.e. a spell which grants a touch attack which you can use in subsequent rounds without having to hold the charge. If it's a mental ability (I think it is), Magic Jar could be fun. The right sort of sorcerer or maybe a white-haired witch might be able to get some mileage out of this.

Jhango
2013-10-25, 09:54 PM
Thinking about it a bit more, Souldrinker would probably make a great Necromancer. Using Souls as spell components for those expensive animate spells...

Very fitting for the PRC too.

avr
2013-10-25, 10:10 PM
The ability doesn't help for material components as written unless they're part of magic items being created. You'd need a house rule to get around that.

Assuming so, what other spells have a material component with a low but annoying GP cost? There are some low-level symbols, some alchemist formulas - best not to think about what exactly you're drinking - stoneskin, planar ally ... is there anything else interesting which this might apply to?

MikeGugel
2013-10-25, 10:10 PM
Using Souls as spell components for those expensive animate spells...

Just wanted to mention the spell 'summon cacodaemon' and the familiar are available outside the PRC. I think the souldrinker amulet is unrestricted too

MikeGugel
2013-10-25, 10:11 PM
The ability doesn't help for material components as written unless they're part of magic items being created. You'd need a house rule to get around that.

Energy drain doesn't, soul gems do.

avr
2013-10-26, 12:55 AM
Point, I read the class but not the monster description.

Anyway, my main point was that you shouldn't get stuck on Animate Dead as the only use, no matter how thematic it is. There are other uses.

Gnaeus
2013-10-26, 11:29 AM
Get a Conductive weapon. Then you can full attack with a weapon and just souldrain on the first attack that hits.

MikeGugel
2013-10-26, 05:31 PM
Point, I read the class but not the monster description.

Anyway, my main point was that you shouldn't get stuck on Animate Dead as the only use, no matter how thematic it is. There are other uses.

Yep I agree. I'm thinking of resurrection, restoration, wish, bargaining during a planar summon, and financing a demiplane off the top of my head.