PDA

View Full Version : The Rise of House Zhao (IC)

josienoms
2013-10-08, 04:20 PM
Ember Island is a small settlement off the Southwestern coast of the Blessed Isle. It was a holding of the Realm for a long time, until the burgeoning town burned to the ground about 50 years ago. Thought to be cursed, the Island was abandoned, until a young Dynast of House Peleps washed ashore. Now known only as Commander Zhao, he has rebuilt the city over the past two decades, and has been gathering power at an alarming rate. The patriarchs and matriarchs of the other "legitimate" Houses are calling for Zhao's head.

Which is what brings you all here. Each of you has, for one reason or another, pledged your loyalty to House Zhao, and have proven yourselves to be competant lieutenants. Zhao himself has brought you to his personal mansion near the center of the Island, in order to inform you of the goings-on of the House.

You all find yourselves waiting in a large foyer, surrounded by the ostentatious presentations of Zhao's wealth. Priceless vases and works of art line the walls, and a handful of servants have been waiting on you while you were kept waiting.

Eventually, one of them leads you into the next room, Zhao's office. The office itself is rather large, but sparsely decorated. Zhao is a practical man, and the splendor of the rest of the house is largely for show. Zhao sits at a mahogany desk, littered with scrolls and books and various scraps of paper.

He looks up as you enter, seemingly pleased, though he doesn't smile. He wears a red naval uniform, tailored to perfection, giving him an appearance of dignity and grace. His dark brown hair is kept short, though he allowed his sideburns to grow long and thick on the sides of his face. His green eyes glitter with cunning and intellect.

"I'm so glad you all could join me." His voice is rough, though not overly raspy. "I wish you were here under happier circumstances. As you all know, our House is not well-liked by the rest of the Empire. Some are even calling for my arrest and execution for treason. Which is what brings us here today. I'm sending you to the Isle to garner support for House Zhao. If the resentment is left unchecked... We will be facing invasion by the end of the year."

Kell_tamer
2013-10-08, 07:23 PM
Though she isn't outwardly showing it, Lin is squirming with discomfort inside. "What is the reason? Are they citing something from the texts? Is this the warning of something violent?"

The child sits among adults, she wears simple baggy pants, and some simple bandage like wraps over the chest. The small child bears an impressive musculature, accented by her somewhat earthy skin.

Obscurejones
2013-10-08, 10:36 PM
Letting himself slip into a comfortably at ease stance Jude grins from ear to ear at the news. Standing a good head and shoulders over Lin he ruffles her hair.
"You shaking a little? Scared you might have to smack a monk or two around? Don't worry. In my experience they don't mind it when you get a little rough. Some will even ask for it specifically."

Kell_tamer
2013-10-08, 10:49 PM
The girls hand bats his away from her hair like it were a mosquito. "I just don't understand what is so wrong about this, I've seen what goes on, how is our house any different just because some of you have aura's that are pale? We follow the doctrine, at least i know I do, and despite it being dumb, we are keeping away from the mainland to avoid scaring people..." Her shoulders slump a bit. "like are they looking to kill us just because of a minor difference like that?"

Seanfall
2013-10-09, 12:26 AM
Fujiko chuckled a bit and looked over to the young girl. "It's not just that. Necromancy is a rare talent among those like us. Many cannot defend against it, even less understand it. And this House gathers those who can channel it's power, that...and with the Empress gone everything is a threat." Fujiko is dressed in her favorite kimono the dark purple one beset with lotus flowers and cherry blossoms. "If they cite the Immaculate faith it is just to give them an excuse."

Lix Lorn
2013-10-09, 10:02 AM
"People fear what they cannot understand." muses Sayari. "Perhaps they shall buck the historical trend, and accept the enlightenment of power. I will do what I can to impress our earnestness upon them."

Kell_tamer
2013-10-09, 12:45 PM
The little one goes quiet. She doesn't know what to say. She does know that Zhao is asking them to instill a likability to the house. This might be a chance for her to do some good. She hoped to get a chance to help people.

Seanfall
2013-10-12, 12:15 AM
Fujiko looked over to the child sitting near her, so young and yet already more skilled than many immaculate trainees. "Perhaps if we showed them the positive side of our abilities? Necromancy is the bane of the Wyld after all."

Obscurejones
2013-10-12, 01:22 AM
Jude's response is plain and unaccented, not placing blame or accusing, simply stating an idea.
"To which the simplistic argument would be that our abilities make us no more useful than a plain iron rod. And as disposable if our foes can find just cause."
Rolling a hand towards Zhao his smile tightens to a thing line.
"If you'd like, Patriarch, I can put up our motley band in one of my manses."

Kell_tamer
2013-10-12, 11:55 AM
"So we're going to the isle?" She ponders this.

"are we going to a major city or the rural areas to aid the citizenry and those attempting to become citizens? She doesn't show it but she hopes it's the latter.

Obscurejones
2013-10-13, 12:08 AM
Jude's eyes radiate sympathy in Lin's direction.
"With respect little sister, we're in no position to be helping the common man right now. A great number of our fellows couldn't give an obol for the plights of their lessors. And it's those same hardhearted sorts that'll be the first to accuse us of using dark magics to engage in shallow populism. We need to attack the source of our troubles before we can worry about others."

Kell_tamer
2013-10-13, 12:53 AM
"you aren't suggesting we actually, attack, right? I really don't feel comfortable doing that..." She pulls her legs up to a cross position on her perch. "That would just make things worse right?"

Obscurejones
2013-10-13, 12:59 AM
"Oh, no sweetie. That would be much too open and decent of us. We may be trying to be the good guys, but we're still dynasts. This is going to be much more dirty and underhanded. This will be politics."

Kell_tamer
2013-10-13, 01:01 AM
She sighs, "oh good, let me know when a hammer makes for eloquent speaking..." She mutters a bit under her breath, "Elephants are so much better than people with copious amounts of power..."