PDA

View Full Version : On Adding Images

Thunderfist12
2013-10-08, 04:49 PM
So... how do I get an image from my computer to the site?

Cuthalion
2013-10-08, 04:55 PM
So... how do I get an image from my computer to the site?

I believe the most popular way is uploading it to a site such as Imageshack (imageshack.us) or Photobucket (photobucket.com) and then linking it via *snip*.

Thunderfist12
2013-10-08, 04:55 PM
Thank ye much!

Thufir
2013-10-08, 05:21 PM
You can also post any pictures which are on facebook by right clicking on them, selecting 'Copy image location' and then pasting that in the tags.

Roland St. Jude
2013-10-08, 05:48 PM
Sheriff: Also, make sure that you have license/permission from the image's copyright holder before posting it here.

TuggyNE
2013-10-08, 08:51 PM
Sheriff: Also, make sure that you have license/permission from the image's copyright holder before posting it here.

To add a little to this, merely being able to see the image is not sufficient. Seems obvious, but a lot of people somehow get that confused.

Palanan
2013-10-08, 09:50 PM
Originally Posted by TuggyNE
...merely being able to see the image is not sufficient. Seems obvious, but a lot of people somehow get that confused.

Now I'm confused. What is there, beyond seeing the image?

:smallconfused:

Also, I always wondered about hotlinking images from other sites. When I started working on websites, which was about 1997, this was deeply frowned upon. I see it occasionally here, never really sure if it's kosher or not.

I assume not, but always wondered.

theangelJean
2013-10-10, 10:44 PM

To add a little to this, merely being able to see the image is not sufficient. Seems obvious, but a lot of people somehow get that confused.

What they mean is that some people make the assumption that "having permission to view an image on someone's website" equates to "having permission to re-post the image elsewhere". I'm not sure if you are making that assumption or just misunderstanding the specific quote, but there's definitely a distinction, and it becomes important in attribution of creative work.

Also, I always wondered about hotlinking images from other sites. When I started working on websites, which was about 1997, this was deeply frowned upon. I see it occasionally here, never really sure if it's kosher or not.

I could be wrong, but the only method of linking external images to the forum is effectively hotlinking, right? As in, it loads the image from (and uses bandwidth from) the site linked, rather than from the giantitp server.

TuggyNE
2013-10-13, 02:50 AM

As mentioned, there's also "permission to re-use/re-distribute", which is very definitely not granted automatically. (There's also editing, selling a redistribution, and so on and so forth. Lots of nuances.)

It depends on the site; most sites frown on being hotlinked to (since it consumes a lot of bandwidth) but some sites expect it, like the various image hosts (what else would you use them for?). As far as I know there's no general GitP policy on hotlinking images from other sites, so just stick to usual netiquette and only hotlink what you're allowed to.