PDA

View Full Version : Extreme Plot Speculation: MitD Edition

D.KnightSpider
2013-10-08, 06:20 PM
I'm sure that his has been discussed to death before, and that there's another line in the comic somewhere I'm forgetting, but a quick forum perusal hasn't turned up any immediate threads on the subject. So yeah.

Part of me has always wondered if Redcloak's words in 147 weren't intended to be foreshadowing of the endgame. To recap:

MitD: Hey, Redcloack, can I hold Xykon's whatchamacallit for a while?

RC: It's called a phylacetry, and no, you can't.

MitD: Awww. Why not?

RC: Because his undead spirit will soon start regenerating a new skeletal body for him, and he might need my aid immediately. Besides, you'll break it.

We know that Xykon's phylacetry is resistant enough that O-Chul couldn't even scratch the finish. But the MitD has been shown to be absurdly strong-- far stronger than O-Chul. I'm wondering if it wouldn't be fittingly ironic enough for Xykon to be undone by the last thing he suspects of being treacherous: the MitD.

So I'm curious. Thoughts?

WoodStock_PV
2013-10-08, 07:20 PM
This actually seems probable imo. I have a feeling the mitd will play a larger role in this story besides team evil comic relief. With that said I'd rather have redcloak finish off the phylactery he himself made.. probably with some sort of epiphany about his past decisions.

Kornaki
2013-10-08, 07:25 PM
Redcloak betrays Xykon, MitD eats Redcloak, Redcloak's last act is to drag the phylactery with him down into MitD's gullet.

Everybody wins! (except team evil of course)

veti
2013-10-08, 07:32 PM
Depending whether you've read 'Start of Darkness', you may or may not also know that Xykon geased the MitD to, under some circumstance, eat Redcloak "and spit out his holy symbol" (or words to that effect).

I forget what the small print was, as to exactly what circumstance was supposed to trigger this event. Was it just "if Redcloak ever betrays me"? Because I wouldn't put much faith in the MitD's ability to recognise that, even if he saw it happening.
Which could be a clue as to exactly how that would come about.

Of course, since Xykon now believes (?) that RC's holy symbol isn't his phylactery any longer - and RC probably has the real thing well hidden on his person - it's likely Xykon won't be paying as much attention as he should, if and when that event comes about.

Kornaki
2013-10-08, 07:41 PM
Actually even better, Redcloak kills O'Chul, then MitD eats Redcloak while Redcloak is betraying Xykon, Redcloak drags phylactery down, Roy kills Xykon while Xykon panics, realizing what's happening just seconds too late.

Elan kills Goblin Cleric #3 while saying "well that was an exciting begayal!"

The pun, of course, being MitD is a gayal, which is apparently a word that rhymes with betrayal. This is the one and only in-comic reference to which creature MitD is.

NerdyKris
2013-10-08, 07:59 PM
I know you're joking, but I feel like killing the joke. I don't think a gayal fits any of the criteria for what the MitD is. It's not horrifying and unrecognizable to the average person, for starts.

littlebum2002
2013-10-08, 08:10 PM
I know you're joking, but I feel like killing the joke. I don't think a gayal fits any of the criteria for what the MitD is. It's not horrifying and unrecognizable to the average person, for starts.

I wouldn't recognize one, and I'm pretty average.

If you can kill the joke so can I!

EDIT: OK, apparently it's a cow. So the joke's on me, since I obviously would recognize it, at least as some sort of bovine. Maybe the person who was repulsed was a animal rights activist who was horrified at the inhumane conditions.

Sniffnoy
2013-10-12, 12:17 AM
You know, that scene doesn't even have to have been deliberate foreshadowing for that to end up happening. The scenario described seems distinctly plausible regardless.

Bulldog Psion
2013-10-12, 01:14 AM
Considering that Team Evil is waaaaay too powerful for the Order to even dent one of their toenails, I think their destruction has to come from within. I suspect that Redcloak is going to damage Xykon badly, the MitD will kill Redcloak as per the geas, and then probably finish Xykon off. The death of O-Chul may well be the trigger, also, for MitD to go medieval on the lich, IMO.

All wild speculation, but it seems plausible to me at least.

Onyavar
2013-10-12, 04:09 PM
The death of O-Chul may well be ...

O-Chul dying? In combat?
Hah! You bet again.