PDA

View Full Version : Durkon's spell preparation

karkus
2013-10-08, 07:45 PM
In 909, (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0909.html) what did Roy mean when he said that Durkon preparing spells at dusk was :roy: "something to look forward to?" Is there an advantage from a gaming standpoint that I'm missing, such as being defended from nighttime attacks more than otherwise, or is it that Roy can now sleep?

Or was he being sarcastic and/or indifferent to the statement?

The Guardian
2013-10-08, 07:47 PM
I think it was just a polite way of saying "That's nice"

Aeriander
In 909, (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0909.html) what did Roy mean when he said that Durkon preparing spells at dusk was :roy: "something to look forward to?" Is there an advantage from a gaming standpoint that I'm missing, such as being defended from nighttime attacks more than otherwise, or is it that Roy can now sleep?

I imagine Roy was so relieved yet sad yet confused yet happy that the whirlwind of emotions inside of him just had to say something instead of having an awkward silence.

Kornaki
He was being sarcastic. He doesn't really care when Durkon prepares his spells (although by proper application of the rules preparing at dusk means that any spells you cast during the day cannot be recovered, so maybe he should pay a little more attention before they head to Kraagor's gate! Not that I expect this to come up in the comic since most groups ignore the rule)

Kish
2013-10-08, 07:48 PM

I think Roy may hesitate to sleep knowing he will be watched over by his best friend, the vampire.

There's no trick meaning. He was just commenting that Durkon refilling his spell slots was "something to look forward to." If there is ambiguity there, it's probably in that he's not entirely certain Durkon will not use those spells against him.

littlebum2002
2013-10-08, 08:15 PM

He's happy because it means that today he only has to wait a couple of hours to get their healing spells instead of 10+ hours. Those 8 hours could easily be the difference between life and death.

At least that's how I inferred it.

Gift Jeraff
2013-10-08, 08:38 PM
Durkon is conspicuously making it seem like his transformation is nothing but a mechanical change. Roy's reply is kind of like an awkward "Um...OK" because he's not entirely sure how to feel about all this, plus they're in the middle of a battle.

Shhalahr Windrider
2013-10-08, 09:33 PM

The “I guess” implies a certain level of sarcasm and/or indifference. Roy was likely dismissing that as an unimportant detail in their current situation.

Souhiro
2013-10-09, 04:26 AM
Come on... Durkula may be evil, but he has shown us that he's lawful, and more important: LOYAL to his friends.

I think that Roy was more "Ok, we're surrounded by evil guys, and you're quite low on spells. So if we manage to endure till dusk, maybe you can pray for something...

It's not like that would work without 8 hours of rest! I don't know if the Giant took this into consideration, but without 8 hours of rest prior, Durkula cannot prepare any spells. The party would need to camp 8 hours BEFORE dusk!

oball
2013-10-09, 05:46 AM
Actually...

A divine spellcaster chooses and prepares spells ahead of time, just as a wizard does. However, a divine spellcaster does not require a period of rest to prepare spells.

But as mentioned above:

Recent Casting Limit
As with arcane spells, at the time of preparation any spells cast within the previous 8 hours count against the number of spells that can be prepared.

Katuko
2013-10-09, 09:56 AM
But as mentioned above:

The mechanics seem to be made for regular casters to do this:
Fill spell slots in the morning --> Cast spells during the day --> Rest during the night -- Replenish spells at morning again.

Meanwhile, a vampire would go like this:
Fill spell slots at dusk --> Cast spells during the night --> Rest during the day --> Replenish spells at dusk again.

So just to clear this up for myself and perhaps others who are not 100% set on D&D rules: This means that Vampire Cleric Durkon would actually have to wait until next day's dusk before the spells he cast this day could be replenished, due to the 8-hour "cooldown" on each spell slot?

Shale
2013-10-09, 10:27 AM
Assuming Rich is enforcing the 8-hour cooldown, yes.

karkus
2013-10-11, 10:18 PM
Thanks for the replies, you guys :smallsmile:

At first, I assumed that it was simple indifference to Durkula's statement, but I just could shake the nagging thought that there could have been something more to it, is all.

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g68/Cats_Are_Aliens/Banners/DurkonVampire_zps6711c6b8.png

Bulldog Psion
2013-10-12, 01:37 AM
I think it was more a case of "what the hell do I say to something like that?!?"

So, he came out with a cautious, noncommittal statement because he was doubtful about what to say. "That's something to look forward to, I guess."

Chronos
2013-10-14, 09:07 AM
I viewed it as a strictly short-term thing. As in, things suck right this moment, but if we can just hold out until dusk, they'll improve, so dusk is, right now, something to look forward to.

archon_huskie
2013-10-14, 09:12 AM
He's happy because it means that today he only has to wait a couple of hours to get their healing spells instead of 10+ hours. Those 8 hours could easily be the difference between life and death.

At least that's how I inferred it.

Ditto once Durkon can refresh his spells, then Belkar can be healed, they will have new resources to fight the horde of mooks. Which is something to look forward too.

(I still think of him as Durkon. Calling him Durkula feels like I am referring to Thurkula fromt he previous book.)