Level: Clr 4, Pal 3, Sor/Wiz 5
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 minute
Range: Touch
Target: Dead or living creature touched
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None; See text
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)

You restore life to a deceased creature. You can raise a creature that has been dead for no longer than one day per caster level. In addition, the subject’s soul must be free and willing to return. If the subject’s soul is not willing to return, the spell does not work; therefore, a subject that wants to return receives no saving throw.

A raised creature has a number of hit points equal to its current Hit Dice. Any ability scores damaged to 0 are raised to 1. Normal poison and normal disease are cured in the process of raising the subject, but magical diseases and curses are not undone. While the spell closes mortal wounds and repairs lethal damage of most kinds, the body of the creature to be raised must be whole. Otherwise, missing parts are still missing when the creature is brought back to life. None of the dead creature’s equipment or possessions are affected in any way by this spell.

If the spell is cast on a living target, the target is instantly healed to full health and all ability drain or damage and negative conditions are lifted off.

As the casting of the spell is finished, the caster dies.

Material component
A drop of blood

Kevka Palazzo
2006-12-31, 04:06 PM
What's your justification for giving the spell to Sorcerors and Wizards? Usually they don't get this kind of stuff.

Otherwise, I think the spell sounds all right, except that, in the case of using it on a living target, the caster should lose a number of HP equal to the amount healed, and take ability damage equal to the ability damage healed.

MeklorIlavator
2006-12-31, 08:17 PM
Wow, This is a really cool spell, and I think it makes sense for wizards and sorcerers, because it is not a case of pulling their soul back at no permanent cost to you, but more of an exchange of 1 soul for another. Personally, I would think about letting another willing creature substitute their soul for the casters(the substitute would have to give a couple drops of blood). Also, I agree with Kevka Palazzo point about living targets.

Maryring
2006-12-31, 08:22 PM
Transfering hit points have actually already been done. In Book of Exalted Deeds. Blood of the Martyr, I think it was. I can't post it here though, but I know that there was one spell for transfering hit points and damage between caster and target.

ClericofPhwarrr
2007-01-01, 05:24 AM
Personally, I would think about letting another willing creature substitute their soul for the casters(the substitute would have to give a couple drops of blood).

"Hey guys, have you seen my animal companion? He, like, vanished sometime this morning. Guys?" :smallwink:

Pegasos989
2007-01-01, 07:07 AM
Yeah, I concidered allowing other willing creature to substitute. However, I didn't like it as it would be "Hey, commoner 1! You will never earn more than 100gp in your life. We will give 200gp for your poor family if you die." and tada, you just save 24.800gp instead of buying true resurrection...

Iituem
2007-01-01, 07:12 AM
Actually, that's not too bad. This is, what, a lower-level version of raise dead combined with heal and given a sacrifice to balance out costs? Raise dead normally costs 500gp in materials, so if the subject in this still suffers the usual level/con loss that comes with resurrection this would potentially still work as a balancing factor with a willing victim (so you'd still be saving 300gp on the gem, but shh).

Addition: If you're really smart and good with bluff and diplomacy checks, you can separate the entire peasant's family out and convince each one of them to willingly sacrifice their life so the remaining members can have a better future, letting you resurrect/heal a whole bunch of people for free! Prerequisites: 8 ranks Bluff, 8 ranks Diplomacy, no conscience.

Pegasos989
2007-01-01, 07:27 AM
Actually, that's not too bad. This is, what, a lower-level version of raise dead combined with heal and given a sacrifice to balance out costs? Raise dead normally costs 500gp in materials, so if the subject in this still suffers the usual level/con loss that comes with resurrection this would potentially still work as a balancing factor with a willing victim (so you'd still be saving 300gp on the gem, but shh).

Addition: If you're really smart and good with bluff and diplomacy checks, you can separate the entire peasant's family out and convince each one of them to willingly sacrifice their life so the remaining members can have a better future, letting you resurrect/heal a whole bunch of people for free! Prerequisites: 8 ranks Bluff, 8 ranks Diplomacy, no conscience.

1) Raise dead costs 5000gp, not 500. So savings are huge
2) Raise dead makes you lose one level, so this is basically lower version of resurrection, which costs 10000gp... So really, gettin a commoner to be a willing sacrifice would mean that you save nearly 10k. Evil characters could so use this then...

Iituem
2007-01-01, 07:50 AM
It does? Crikey!

Sorry, looks like the prices were bumped up since the 3.0 edition, when raise dead and resurrection cost a paltry 500gp in diamonds and true resurrection bumped up to 5,000gp in costs. In that case, pay me no heed!

MeklorIlavator
2007-01-01, 01:39 PM
I forgot about the evil applications. How about if the sacrifice is not the caster, it must be of an equal or higher level, and must be sentient(so no using animal companions, but your awakened animal friend is okay)

Maglor_Grubb
2007-01-01, 01:49 PM
Considering the nature of the spell, I'd make it a lower level for paladins.

Pegasos989
2007-01-01, 03:36 PM
I forgot about the evil applications. How about if the sacrifice is not the caster, it must be of an equal or higher level, and must be sentient(so no using animal companions, but your awakened animal friend is okay)

Yeah, but then I will need to start specifying some stuff to make sure it stays unabusable... Anyways, I will get to that, maybe tomorrow.

Considering the nature of the spell, I'd make it a lower level for paladins.

You are right. I doubt any character would get broken because of this spell... I shall make it pal 3.

I am kinda surprised that nobody has said "Can I buy this as scroll" yet...

Winged One
2007-01-01, 04:03 PM
Obviously, the idiot trying to get around their own death by buying it as a scroll is the one who dies if it's cast from a scroll. Very nice spell, though. The title says [spells] rather than [spell], so you may want to change that before it's too late, unless you plan on adding more.