PDA

View Full Version : Not a duskblade

Ranting Fool
2013-10-08, 08:07 PM
I'm looking for a good PrC for an NPC Wizard/Something. Armour wearing and sword wielding but who isn't a Duskblade :smallbiggrin:

The PC's don't know what class he is other then he's not a duskblade and has a fair few levels in wizard/advanced as if he were a wizard.

Human and levels 15-18, doesn't need to be full spellcasting just high if that is important to anyone.

ZamielVanWeber
2013-10-08, 08:23 PM
Spellsword from CW is a fave of mine.

Chambers
2013-10-08, 08:24 PM
Wizard 3/Fighter 2/Spellsword 10.

Spellsword is in Complete Warrior. They can ignore a certain amount of Arcane Spell Failure, have a spell channeling feature (like the Duskblade), and the above character would cast spells as a 8th level Wizard.

Alternatively:

Wizard 3/Fighter 2/Spellsword 5/Abjurant Champion 5.

Pretty much same as above except the NPC would cast spells as a 10th level Wizard.

Terazul
2013-10-08, 08:25 PM
Swiftblade. Always Swiftblade.

John Longarrow
2013-10-08, 08:26 PM
Fighter - 1 (ACF to cast in light armor, requires a rank in Knowledge Arcane)
Wizard - 4
Crusader - 1
SpellSword - 1
Dragon Slayer - 1
Abjurant Champion -5

CL and BAB are both 11.

From there, go up in Eldritch Knight.

At 20th, you wind up with a BAB of 18 and a CL of 17. Almost as good as running a gestalt character.

holywhippet
2013-10-08, 08:35 PM
A warmage is a regular class that can cast spells in armor.

Are the party sure the NPC is casting wizard spells and not sorcerer spells? If not, sublime chord is PrC for bards that gives them sorcerer spells. Like a bard, they can cast in light armor.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-10-08, 08:50 PM
Have you already specific what type of armor he wears? A single level of Spellsword (CW) reduces his ASF by 10%. This is enough to have 0% ASF wearing Mithral Breastplate with a Thistledown Suit (RotW), or wearing magical Twiligh (PH2, BoED) Mithral Full Plate with a Thistledown Suit (RotW).

Go Human Paragon (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/racialParagonClasses.htm#humanParagon) 1/ Fighter 1/ Wizard 2/ Human Paragon 2/ Spellsword 1/ Abjurant Champion 5/ Incantatrix 4/ Eldritch Knight for the rest of it. Use this Wizard variant (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#wizard) to get a Fighter feat instead of Scribe Scroll. Say he visited the Otyugh Hole detailed in CS to get Iron Will without spending a feat on it. Feats should be Power Attack, Combat Reflexes, Item Familiar (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/magic/itemFamiliars.htm), Practiced Spellcaster, Extend Spell, Persistent Spell, Invisible Spell, Fell Drain Spell, Minor Shapeshift, Arcane Strike, etc.

Item Familiar should be taken at 3rd level, and every skill point after that should be invested into it for the greatest return toward Spellcraft. Make it start as a Ring of Protection +1, then he can upgrade it himself later on. He should always wear a glove or gauntlet over it so no one will ever have line of sight/affect to it and cannot attack it directly or slight of hand it. Note that a +1 Deflection bonus to AC can be an additional effect on any other ring-slot item per MIC p234, so he would only need to pay the cost of what he's adding onto it. For example, he can make it a Ring of Enduring Arcana (CM) with a +1 Deflection bonus to AC added for 3,000 gp and 240 xp, and the item's total value will be 8,000 gp.

Incantatrix allows him to add metamagic to his spells by making a Spellcraft check, and remember he can take ten on those checks. He can even use Cooperative Metmagic on his own spells as long as he's not in combat as the action economy system only exists during initiative. If you disagree with that, then he can still cast (and persist) Arcane Spellsurge from Dragon Magic to be able to use that with his own spells. Note that especially at his current level, he should be casting (Extended) Greater Luminous Armor (BoED) every day if he's good aligned, as it will give him a +13 armor bonus with Abjurant Champion 5, with no max dex bonus. He could simply wear the above Mithral Breastplate with a Thistledown Suit and use Invisible Spell with Greater Luminous Armor and its higher bonus will override the breastplate's.

Spells he should keep active with Persistent Spell should include Expeditious Retreat, Shield, Wraithstrike, Displacement, Ray Deflection, Greater Invisibility, Fell Drain Thunderlance, Fell Drain Death Armor, Fell Drain Fire Shield twice, Fell Drain Cloud of Knives, Fell Drain Dragon Breath, Arcane Spellsurge, (Invisible) Draconic Polymorph: War Troll, (Invisible) Greater Mirror Image, etc. He should also have (Rod of) Extended hour/level buffs like Greater Magic Weapon on his Thunderlance, Heart of Air/Water/Earth/Fire, Moment of Prescience to boost initiative, and of course Greater Luminous Armor. There are also 24-hour duration buffs like Mind Blank, Greater/Superior Resistance, Endure Elements, and possibly Energy Immunity. If you have left over feats to fill, Fell Frighten can be added to any of the spells that have Fell Drain for even greater effect.

Khaotickk
2013-10-08, 09:03 PM
I'm looking for a good PrC for an NPC Wizard/Something. Armour wearing and sword wielding but who isn't a Duskblade :smallbiggrin:
Try warblade. They are intelligence based fighters, access to maneuvers and stances, and FULL BAB!
Their INT gets added to everything as they level up (Reflex saves when flatfooted, critical conformations, melee damage to flat-footed opponents, opposing bullrush-overrun-disarm-trip-feint-sunder checks, attack rolls and damage to attacks of opp) except for their AC.

Mr Adventurer
2013-10-09, 07:04 AM
Fool them all by making him an 18th level Factotum.

Der_DWSage
2013-10-09, 07:54 AM
If you want something simple, the Battle Sorcerer variant from Unearthed Arcana (And found on the SRD!) can cast spells while in light armor and has proficiency in a single one-handed martial weapon.

Eladrinblade
2013-10-09, 08:24 AM
Swiftblade. Always Swiftblade.

Yup. Alternatively: warmage.

Ranting Fool
2013-10-09, 12:30 PM
Thanks guys.

I think Spellsword is exactly what I'm looking for :smallbiggrin:
What book is swiftblade in?

macdaddy
2013-10-09, 12:37 PM
1 of 2 standard gish builds:

Paladin 2 / Sorcerer 4 / Spellsword 1 / Abjurant Champion 4 / Sacred Exorcist X

Fighter 2 / Wizard 4(Transmuter, Martial Wizard) / Spellsword 1 / Abjurant Champion 4 / Sacred Exorcist X

At level 15-18, the Paladin would be pretty bad ass.

Coidzor
2013-10-09, 01:15 PM
Thanks guys.

I think Spellsword is exactly what I'm looking for :smallbiggrin:
What book is swiftblade in?

Swiftblade is not from a book, but the WOTC site. (https://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/prc/20070327) At least, as far as I recall.

Spellsword is half-casting and does give some of the spell-channeling abilities of a duskblade, btw. If you really want them to be casting without ASF in the heaviest armor you can find, Runesmith is the better route by taking one level in it. From Races of Stone, IIRC.

ArqArturo
2013-10-09, 01:31 PM
Beguilers are sort of the Arcane Tricksters with no sneak attack... Or damage spells, since they emphasize on illusions and enchantments.

The Knight Phantom PrC of Nations of Eberron is also pretty awesome.

Forrestfire
2013-10-09, 01:35 PM
Gotta echo the swiftblade.

It's such an awesome class :smallbiggrin:

Xuldarinar
2013-10-09, 03:30 PM
Spellthief 1/Wizard x + Master Spellthief (http://dndtools.eu/feats/complete-scoundrel--60/master-spellthief--1891/) + Battle Caster (http://dndtools.eu/feats/complete-arcane--55/battle-caster--183/)

You can cast in medium armor. Your spellthief levels stack with all levels in other arcane spellcasting classes for advancing spell steal. Also, your spellthief and arcane spellcaster levels stack for the purpose of determining your caster level for all arcane spells.

From there, any feats/prcs that help with sword use and/or casting will serve you well. (Though personally I like mixing that with spellwarp sniper.)

Tvtyrant
2013-10-09, 03:48 PM
Bard/Sublime Chord/Spelldancer using persistant spell cheese to coat yourself in melee buffs each morning?

I also really like Wu-Jen for the ability to become Gargantuan/Colossal using Giant Size and beat heads in. Pick up Abjurant Champion for better combat abilities, use a colossal greatsword for the lulz.

Coidzor
2013-10-09, 03:53 PM
I also really like Wu-Jen for the ability to become Gargantuan/Colossal using Giant Size and beat heads in. Pick up Abjurant Champion for better combat abilities, use a colossal greatsword for the lulz.

Grab some archmage/other for SLAs you can use when you're doing Body Outside Body...