PDA

View Full Version : Sabine in the Order

Tiiba
2013-10-09, 09:15 AM
A thought came to me.

Lots of people think Sabine might join the Order. Well, I just suddenly envisioned Durkon staring into the distance, around midnight, when Sabine comes to him for advice. And he ministers to her, like the priest he is. Helps her make sense of the conflicting desires of love and evil, ameliorates her grief. Don't know whether his advice would be evil or good, but it would be pretty cool to see it happen.

Gift Jeraff
2013-10-09, 09:24 AM
Durkon banished her--leaving her unable to save Nale--and killed Z personally. He probably made it to the top of her hate list, only underneath Tarquin and Laurin.

Tiiba
2013-10-09, 09:27 AM
Oh yeah. And threatened Nale. I guess they'll have to work through that.

Souhiro
2013-10-09, 09:51 AM
Durkon banished her--leaving her unable to save Nale--and killed Z personally. He probably made it to the top of her hate list, only underneath Tarquin and Laurin.

It was Durkon who banished her, not Durkula. DKL may have killed Z, but s/he never was show as being more than working colleages for Sabine (She didn't say a word about rescuing Z from the lawyers, but they instead went ahead and recruited some other mages)

The hate may come from Durkula himself: Sabine loves Nale, but Nale killed Malak. He was Durkula's Sire, he was agree to release him from thralldom so he could regain his free will. Even while he was Durkon tose two were good friends, and Durkon died without any hatred or rencor to Malak.
Thus...

:durkon:"So, you want me to offer advice about that bloodthristy backstabbing stupid psycho that was your boyfriend? The man who killed my dear friend Malak, and the one who murdered my dark brothers?"

(Dark Brothers, the other vampire spawns from Malak)

Jay R
2013-10-09, 10:35 PM
:durkon:"So, you want me to offer advice about that bloodthristy backstabbing stupid psycho that was your boyfriend? The man who killed my dear friend Malak, and the one who murdered my dark brothers?"

(Dark Brothers, the other vampire spawns from Malak)

More like this, I expect:

:durkon:"So, ye want me ta offer advice aboot tha' bloodthirsty backstabbin' stupid psycho tha' was yer boyfriend? The man wha killed me dear friend Malack, and tha one wha murdered me dark brothers?"

BlackDragonKing
2013-10-09, 10:46 PM
I would see more "a plague on BOTH YOUR HOUSES" from her, personally.

Yeah, Sabine is angry at Tarquin for killing Nale, but if you think she's going to the Order, the team whose second-in-command is her arch-nemesis and whose leader chucked her through a window last time she tried acting friendly to get something she wanted from him, you're probably barking up the wrong tree.

Nobody in the Order except Elan is at all sad Nale is dead, and Elan is the only one who would take it as anything but another aggravating setback if he was raised to bedevil them anew. Teaming up with a succubus who hates their guts is not on the Order's agenda, especially since Tarquin's a very distinctly secondary concern to Xykon for them. They're not going to join forces with one of their enemies to avenge ANOTHER of their enemies when Tarquin is an evil that will contently stay in a predetermined area of relative stability compared to Xykon either taking over or destroying the world sometime in the next week or two.

Anarion
2013-10-09, 11:03 PM
I would be highly surprised if the IFCC is just done with Sabine suddenly because the Linear Guild is now a thing of the past. There's one more gate out there, and the IFCC has an agenda with that gate that will probably include Sabine.

That's not to say that she won't go AWOL later on in order to get revenge. She might even team up with the Order of the Stick if convenient revenge on Tarquin required her to do so. But I think she's far more likely to appear as an independent party at an inconvenient time in the story for...well probably for a lot of people, actually.

Mike Havran
2013-10-09, 11:21 PM
Roy is not a paladin, but even he might feel a little bit uneasy about hanging out with a succubus, Durkula and Belkar all the time :smalltongue:

I also agree that the IFCC will not release her from the agenda unless their Gate bid fails (or succeeds, for that matter).

Everyl
2013-10-10, 12:16 AM
If Sabine is going to try to use the Order to get revenge on Tarquin, she's probably going to do it by shapeshifting into someone they've never met and manipulating them into doing her dirty work. If anything, "infiltrate" would probably be a better word that "join," if only because Roy and Haley would be really unlikely to knowingly ally with her, and the rest don't have any real reason to trust her, either.

She'd probably have to work around whatever orders the IFCC has given her, though. Which could be especially tough, since they probably want the Order to get to Kraagor's Gate ASAP so they can endanger its integrity, too.

rbetieh
2013-10-10, 03:24 AM
Is it weird that after reading this thread I immediately got Tina Turners rendition of "Son of a preacher man" stuck in my head?

Souhiro
2013-10-10, 03:47 AM
Yeah, Sabine is angry at Tarquin for killing Nale, but if you think she's going to the Order, the team whose second-in-command is her arch-nemesis and whose leader chucked her through a window last time she tried acting friendly to get something she wanted from him, you're probably barking up the wrong tree.

Man, she IS a succubus, You think that a seasoned fighter, with a huge INT bonus and a lot of ranks in diverse Knowledges would know what would happen should he had... took her offer? She wasn't acting friendly, she was desesperatly trying to suck Roy's levels via Energy Drain!

But since the Linear Guild is out, I think that Sabine maybe try to infiltrate the Order, shapechanging into an ally...

Souju
2013-10-10, 03:51 AM
If Sabine and/or Tarquin don't croak in this arc, I could see her teaming up with Elan and Haley much later to bring Tarquin down.
I mean, really, they're the only ones that could conceivably work together, and the dynamic between them would at least be interesting.
I just picture this line:
:elan: "Haley, if he killed me, wouldn't you feel the same way she does?"
But really, Sabine DOES have some lasting animosity towards or from Durkon/Durkula, Roy, and Haley.
It's a bit of a "crack grouping" but hey, if we told our past selves several arcs ago that Durkon would become a vampire, would we believe it?

Chantelune
2013-10-10, 06:37 AM
If Tarquin don't go after them, why would Sabine would want to join the order to get revenge on Tarquin ? The way I see it, the order is en route for the last Gate and won't bother with Tarquin until Xykon is defeated. I don't really see her joining the order for who know how long this will take them while she could simply go after Tarquin herself or recruit some other allies to do that right away.

And that's not counting all the animosity between the order and the LG.

davidbofinger
2013-10-10, 06:49 AM
975. There is something wrong with a 2nd level Kamikaze.

There isn't, actually. A WW2 kamikaze would probably be implemented as a prestige class. They earned the experience as a regular pilot, then took kamikaze as their second level.

Kish
2013-10-10, 06:50 AM
Only prestige class I ever heard of where you can meet the prerequisites with only one other level.

davidbofinger
2013-10-10, 06:51 AM
I don't really see her joining the order for who know how long this will take them while she could simply go after Tarquin herself or recruit some other allies to do that right away.

Because she finds one of the Order's members so damned attractive. And she can impersonate Hayley.

davidbofinger
2013-10-10, 06:53 AM
Only prestige class I ever heard of where you can meet the prerequisites with only one other level.

The disadvantages of the class are correspondingly severe.

davidbofinger
2013-10-10, 07:01 AM
if you think she's going to the Order, the team whose second-in-command is her arch-nemesis and whose leader chucked her through a window last time she tried acting friendly to get something she wanted from him, you're probably barking up the wrong tree.

I think she might. Compare with when she tried to recruit Miko as a blackguard: she didn't let old issues poison the opportunity. Even after her neck was broken she only threatened a discount.

I think the Order's first priority being Xykon is a bigger issue. But it's possible The Giant intends Tarquin's defeat to end this book.

hagnat
2013-10-10, 08:19 AM
one word: polymorph

why join, if she ever are to, the order as "Sabine" if she can be anyone else ?

JCAll
2013-10-10, 09:58 AM
Roy is not a paladin, but even he might feel a little bit uneasy about hanging out with a succubus, Durkula and Belkar all the time :smalltongue:

I also agree that the IFCC will not release her from the agenda unless their Gate bid fails (or succeeds, for that matter).

I don't think Roy would be that uncomfortable, but I bet Celia would.
You boyfriend making friends with the living embodiment of sex is not high on a girls wishlist.

Kish
2013-10-10, 10:14 AM
I don't think Roy would be that uncomfortable, but I bet Celia would.
You boyfriend making friends with the living embodiment of sex is not high on a girls wishlist.
I do not believe anyone is going to suggest that the biggest problem with the life-draining, mass-murdering, victim-sacrificing demon who has gleefully and enthusiastically participated in many plans to slaughter the Order...is "sex."

Say what you will about the morality demonstrated in the comic, "psychotically prudish" is one description I've never heard leveled at it.

BlackDragonKing
2013-10-10, 10:15 AM
Man, she IS a succubus, You think that a seasoned fighter, with a huge INT bonus and a lot of ranks in diverse Knowledges would know what would happen should he had... took her offer? She wasn't acting friendly, she was desesperatly trying to suck Roy's levels via Energy Drain!

But since the Linear Guild is out, I think that Sabine maybe try to infiltrate the Order, shapechanging into an ally...

I don't mean that she was legitimately trying to be friendly, I meant she was trying the "let's be friends" act with an ulterior motive, which is what her joining the Order would be.

Roy's a smart guy, and I can't see how he'd consider Sabine offering to "help" fight Tarquin with the clear implication that she'll inevitably stab them in the back when he's defeated any different from her taking off her top in a desperate gambit to level drain him.

Bulldog Psion
2013-10-12, 01:17 AM
More like this, I expect:

:durkon:"So, ye want me ta offer advice aboot tha' bloodthirsty backstabbin' stupid psycho tha' was yer boyfriend? The man wha killed me dear friend Malack, and tha one wha murdered me dark brothers?"

Probably with, "Now die, ye bat-winged bitch!" thrown in also. :smallwink:

Ramien
2013-10-12, 01:51 AM
one word: polymorph

why join, if she ever are to, the order as "Sabine" if she can be anyone else ?

Because there are at least two members of the party who cast True Seeing when need be? One glance her way at the wrong time and her secret's out.

ReaderAt2046
2013-10-13, 11:10 AM
Roy's a smart guy, and I can't see how he'd consider Sabine offering to "help" fight Tarquin with the clear implication that she'll inevitably stab them in the back when he's defeated any different from her taking off her top in a desperate gambit to level drain him.

Because she now has a genuine motivation to work with the party at least until Tarquin is defeated, whereas she had no motiviation to work with Roy in Cliffport.

Everyl
2013-10-13, 11:44 AM
Because she now has a genuine motivation to work with the party at least until Tarquin is defeated, whereas she had no motiviation to work with Roy in Cliffport.

Roy doesn't know enough about Sabine and the emotional details of her relationship with Nale for that to really hold up. You'd have to assume that Roy has read strips like #914 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0914.html) and to expect him to have any reason to believe Sabine's claims that avenging Nale is anything other than a ruse to manipulate the Order. If - and this is a pretty big if - Sabine does try to work with the Order somehow, she's a lot more likely to do it by posing as a stranger to manipulate them than to try making open appeals based on positive emotions that aren't really traditionally associated with succubi.

That being said, it would make for an interesting plot wrinkle if she does try this and V catches her thanks to True Sight or some similar spell, but decides to let it slide based on the events witnessed in #914, above. V is the only member of the Order with any reason to believe Sabine felt genuine love for Nale, and so might keep quiet, but keeping quiet about an infernal mole in their midst could really damage V's credibility, especially once the events leading to the Darth V incident have been explained.