PDA

View Full Version : Retrain Skills

mashlagoo1982
2013-10-09, 11:45 AM
A player in a campaign I am running wants to retrain some of his Skills.

I normally have no issue with this, but in this case the rules for retraining seem somewhat lacking.

The current character is a Monk, but he wants to multi-class into Kensai.

To meet the requirements for the new class, he wants to retrain some of his Monk skills. Again, not a problem.

However, he wants to retrain his Skills as Kensai skills (a class that he currently does not qualify for). The Skill he needs to retrain due to Kensai requirement is a cross-class Skill for a Monk (Ride). Instead of following the Monk progression for the Skill, the player wants to follow the Kensai progress (class skill). Following this method, the first level he would take as a Kensai, he would be meeting the requirements for the Kensai class. He is not meeting the requirements BEFORE taking the class.

My concerns is thus, does the wording for retraining Skills allow for this?

From PHB2 pg194:

Subtract up to 4 skill ranks from one skill and add an equal number of ranks to any one other skill (not including Speak Language). The skill to which you add the ranks must be a class skill for one of your character's classes, including a class he is about to gain with his current level increase. It doesn't matter whether the lost ranks were purchased as class skills or as cross-class skills.

His argument is the wording "including a class he is about to gain with his current level increase..."

My current thoughts on this matter are he cannot use the class skill list for Kensai for retraining until after he fulfills all the Kensai class requirements.

Basically, it seems to me that he is trying to use the Kensai class to fulfill the Kensai class requirements.

Are there any additional rules that cover this scenario?