PDA

View Full Version : Looking for cheap ways to remove fatigue and ability damage for a Spelldancer gish

Urpriest
2013-10-09, 11:54 AM
I've been plotting out a Spelldancer-based gish recently, and it's gotten me thinking about what the best ways are to cure fatigue and Con damage, so as to do as much spelldancing as possible.

On the one hand, a Wand of Lesser Restoration will remove fatigue and cure 1d4 Con damage per charge. Normally such a wand would cost 4,500gp, but crafted by a Paladin it's 1500gp.

On the other, there's the Rod of Bodily Restoration, for 3,100gp. It cures 12 points of Con damage a day if you spread out the charges, which averages out to 4.8 charges from a Wand of Restoration a day. If you're really using that many charges, it beats out the Cleric Wand of Lesser Restoration immediately, and the Paladin Wand of Lesser Restoration cost-wise after 21 days. However, it doesn't cure Fatigue. The best I've seen in item form has been the Sandals of the Vagabond from Complete Champion, but those only stop Fatigue from going to exhaustion, so the fatigue would still need to be cured. Is there a cheap item that cures fatigue 1/day or so?

Other methods for dealing with these two things are welcome. I'd rather not go Necropolitan on this build, though, and the build is very very level-tight so probably class levels will not be a good solution.

Lanson
2013-10-09, 12:04 PM
Well, if worse comes to worst, you could always take a dip into the Horizon Walker, pick up desert mastery and become immune to fatigue, even though it will cost you feats and skills. Not sure what to do about the con damage though.

What are the classes you're using so far?

Fax Celestis
2013-10-09, 12:18 PM
Clr 4/Drd 4/Bard 5 spell in PHB-II, renewed vigor, downgrades exhaustion to fatigue, clears fatigue, and gives +2 untyped to Con to all creatures in a 30' radius burst centered on the caster.

Clr 4/Heal 4/Drd 5 spell in Minis Handbook, panacea (which I think got updated in Spell Compendium) clears fatigue and a ridiculous number of other conditions. Touch.

Clr 1/Sor 2/Wiz 2 spell in LEoF, ray of resurgence, restores 1 Str dam/CL (max 5), negates Str penalties, and removes fatigue (and downgrades exhaustion to fatigue). Close range.

Clr 4 spell in BoED, remove fatigue, exactlyWhatItSaysOnTheTin.png

Pal 2/Clr 3 spell in Dragon Magic, soul of light, 1 hr buff, makes it so when you get hit by a healing spell that heals at least 10 points, you also remove fatigue. Couple with lesser vigor for delayed fatigue removal. Personal.

Darrin
2013-10-09, 12:34 PM
Clr 1/Sor 2/Wiz 2 spell in LEoF, ray of resurgence, restores 1 Str dam/CL (max 5), negates Str penalties, and removes fatigue (and downgrades exhaustion to fatigue). Close range.

I was going to mention this. If the wand is crafted by a cleric, it only costs 750 GP.

If you need something non-Faerunish, then try second wind in the Spell Compendium. Paladin 1 only though, so a non-Archivist wand costs 1500 GP.

Also from Shax (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8235865):

Icewild Lichen Paste
Price: 50 GP
Weight: --
(Secrets of Sarlona p. 138)
Reduces fatigue or exhaustion by a step for 2d4 hours. At the end of that duration, character is fatigued for 2d4 minutes. Multiple doses taken within 24 hours cause 1d4 Constitution damage.

It's also vegetable matter and non-magical, and is thus minor psionic creation-able.

Sphere of Awakening
Price: 1800 GP
Weight: 1#
(Magic Item Compendium p. 186)
A must-have for anyone on watch. 1/day, instantly wakes up all of your allies as a swift action. In addition, you and all allies are immune to fatigue, exhaustion, and sleep effects for 10 minutes. If you've got any barbarian, frenzied berserker, or dervish in the party that has to deal with fatigue, this will immediately get rid of it.

gorfnab
2013-10-09, 12:43 PM
Warblade dip for Iron Heart Surge. It may work on the fatigue part.
Binder dip for Naberious would work for the con damage.

Urpriest
2013-10-09, 01:08 PM
I was going to mention this. If the wand is crafted by a cleric, it only costs 750 GP.

If you need something non-Faerunish, then try second wind in the Spell Compendium. Paladin 1 only though, so a non-Archivist wand costs 1500 GP.

Also from Shax (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8235865):

Icewild Lichen Paste
Price: 50 GP
Weight: --
(Secrets of Sarlona p. 138)
Reduces fatigue or exhaustion by a step for 2d4 hours. At the end of that duration, character is fatigued for 2d4 minutes. Multiple doses taken within 24 hours cause 1d4 Constitution damage.

It's also vegetable matter and non-magical, and is thus minor psionic creation-able.

Sphere of Awakening
Price: 1800 GP
Weight: 1#
(Magic Item Compendium p. 186)
A must-have for anyone on watch. 1/day, instantly wakes up all of your allies as a swift action. In addition, you and all allies are immune to fatigue, exhaustion, and sleep effects for 10 minutes. If you've got any barbarian, frenzied berserker, or dervish in the party that has to deal with fatigue, this will immediately get rid of it.

Nice!

Fax, most of the other spells you suggested are less efficient at this sort of thing than Lesser Restoration. They've got more versatility and/or targets, but they're less useful for this particular purpose. The ray though is pretty cool, giving rise to either cheap wands or just letting the character cast the spell themselves since it's Sorc/Wiz 2. That won't help if lots of castings are needed, but with the Sandals of the Vagabond this character would only need one casting a day.

The paste is cool, but oddly enough it's more expensive per dose than a Paladin Wand of Lesser Restoration! So probably not worth it.

The Sphere, though, is a good find. I don't think this character's buff routine would take upwards of 10min (100 rounds is 14 Persisted spells, ignoring time to heal Con damage).

With that in mind, it looks like the optimal options are either Paladin Wand of Lesser Restoration if usage isn't too heavy, and Rod of Bodily Restoration plus Sphere of Awakening if it is.

For those suggesting dips, the build is very hard to alter without losing 9ths, +16 BAB, or Spelldancer, but if you can think of a way to finagle it feel free to suggest one. The build is Human Paragon 1/Wizard 1/Human Paragon +2/Wizard +1/Crusader 1/Spellsword 1/Spelldancer 2/Abjurant Champion 5/Eldritch Knight 6

Fax Celestis
2013-10-09, 01:21 PM
Could you Naberius away the Con damage? Or Strongheart Vest? Both are two feats or a dip each, I think.

Urpriest
2013-10-09, 01:38 PM
Could you Naberius away the Con damage? Or Strongheart Vest? Both are two feats or a dip each, I think.

Strongheart Vest could work, though it would require a point of essentia (I suppose that's why it's two feats, and not just one). You can't get the fast ability healing from Naberius from a feat.

Fax Celestis
2013-10-09, 01:57 PM
Strongheart Vest could work, though it would require a point of essentia (I suppose that's why it's two feats, and not just one). You can't get the fast ability healing from Naberius from a feat.

Well, you could be Azurin and take Shape Soulmeld, which'd be a net zero on feats (bonus feat from Azurin spent on Shape Soulmeld).

dysprosium
2013-10-09, 02:04 PM
Azurins could as Human so they should be able to take Human Paragon.

If not one of your first two feats would have to be Human Heritage.

Fax Celestis
2013-10-09, 02:19 PM
Azurins could as Human so they should be able to take Human Paragon.

If not one of your first two feats would have to be Human Heritage.

Azurins have the (Human) subtype, so they count as Humans.

Norin
2013-10-09, 02:19 PM
Tireless, pgtf p.46 if you are forgotten realms based?