PDA

View Full Version : Abomination-slaying sword

Balor01
2013-10-09, 12:00 PM
Since 3.5 ed players are bunch of crazy-@ss munchkins ...

Condition: Max spell slot/SLA equivalent = 5

Imagine an old silver dragon. After millenia of life and protection of his fief from abominations (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/abomination.htm) that roam into the Kingdom from Badlans, his death is near. To take up lichdom or any other form of undeath, is to estrange himself from his people. His successors are still too young to stand up to these monsters.

So, he creates an item. A sword, I guess, able to destroy abominations.

What would be stats of such a weapon?

thanks

Lanson
2013-10-09, 12:10 PM
First off, ouch, that hurts. :smalltongue:

Secondly, do you want the weapon to be a unique magic item, an artifact, an intelligent item with dedicated powers, a legacy weapon, or just a well enchanted sword?

Also, what level are your players meant to find this?

Edit: The max slot suggests intelligent item or artifact, but just want to be sure.

Telonius
2013-10-09, 01:02 PM
Is 5 the absolute highest-level spell slot you can have? A modified Mace of Smiting (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicWeapons.htm#maceofSmiting) affecting abominations instead of constructs would fit perfectly, but Disintegrate is a 6th-level spell.

Captnq
2013-10-09, 01:24 PM
First download the complete weapon handbook (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=9053.msg183871#msg183871).

Read it.

Choose your:

Weapon
Material
Construction Method
Weapon Special Abilities
Extrapolated Weapon Special Abilities

Then decide if you want to make it intelligent. Go to the DMG for that.

I recommend a Large Gloryborn Gold Fullblade with
+1 EB
+2 Balanced
+1 Bane (abominations)
+1 Lesser Bane (abominations)
+1 Fiercebane [synergy] (abominations)
+1 Magebane
+3 Dismisser

Should do 4d10 + 6d6 vrs arcane using abominations and they have to make a DC will save at 17 on every blow or be sent to thei home plane. +1d10 on a critical and warn you out to 60 feet of the presence of abominations.

Fable Wright
2013-10-09, 02:49 PM
Since 3.5 ed players are bunch of crazy-@ss munchkins ...
Optimizers resent this assertion. Their exploits are 100% rules-legal, not munchkinry, which is bending, breaking, or ignoring the rules for their exploits.

On-topic: Most traditional weapons won't do much, as all of the abominations have high SR, high DR/Epic weapons, and regeneration. Ideally, the weapon would use Binding for thematic reasons, but that wouldn't work as Abominations are immune to Mind-Affecting and the fact that it's above your spell cap. Move Earth, used as an SLA (and thus as a Standard action), would be able to bury any abomination without a Teleport SLA deep below the earth rapidly. Unfortunately, it's a 6th level spell (though you could make it technically a 5th level spell with Sanctum Spell).

One option that fits your description might be taking a page out of the Chrono-Legionaire's book and make a pair of Intelligent swords that can each cast Dimension Door at will (the 25-31% Special Purpose Item Dedicated Powers). One casts it to teleport itself, the wielder, and the other sword (losing the rest of its turn but not its wielder's or the other sword's turns) next to the Abomination, the wielder full attacks with the pair of Axiomatic Holy +6 weapons (to bypass Regeneration and DR) and then the other sword D.Doors the wielder and other sword out of range of counterattack before the Abomination gets its turn. Together, they allow the wielder to kill any abomination without getting hurt themselves. As it's a Dedicated Power, this power can only be used to kill Abominations, so it wouldn't be any more overpowered than a pair of regular Holy Axiomatic +6 Swords would be.

Balor01
2013-10-10, 08:45 AM
First of all I am impressed.

@Lanson
I think this would be an artifact. Player level would be six. It is just that i am SURE someone will want to see how it works. So stats may be handy.

@Telonius

Is 5 the absolute highest-level spell slot you can have?

yes it is.

@DMofDarkness

One option that fits your description might be taking a page out of the Chrono-Legionaire's book and make a pair of Intelligent swords that can each cast Dimension Door at will (the 25-31% Special Purpose Item Dedicated Powers). One casts it to teleport itself, the wielder, and the other sword (losing the rest of its turn but not its wielder's or the other sword's turns) next to the Abomination, the wielder full attacks with the pair of Axiomatic Holy +6 weapons (to bypass Regeneration and DR) and then the other sword D.Doors the wielder and other sword out of range of counterattack before the Abomination gets its turn. Together, they allow the wielder to kill any abomination without getting hurt themselves. As it's a Dedicated Power, this power can only be used to kill Abominations, so it wouldn't be any more overpowered than a pair of regular Holy Axiomatic +6 Swords would be.

This, good (munchkin) sir is bloody brilliant. I dislike it almost as much as I like it. I think I may even name them Dark Blades, according to your nick. If you wish another naming, just write it down here.

Thanks