PDA

View Full Version : Fallout PNP, your thoughts?

beachhead1973
2013-10-09, 12:08 PM
Does anyone here have any experience with fallout PNP, also called SPECIAL? What are your thoughts?

I have a great familiarity with this fan-based system and have messed with it for years and enjoyed it, but how widely known is it?

Tengu_temp
2013-10-09, 01:13 PM
Too much math to be used in a normal game. Accuracy is modified by distance between you and the enemy down to a single hex, if you fire a burst you need to roll a separate to-hit and damage roll for every single bullet... It's simply too clunky without the computer doing all the calculations instantly for you.

Ravens_cry
2013-10-09, 02:16 PM
Unfortunately, that's what I heard to. There are players who enjoy that style, but I think it would be well served to simplify things a bit for a tabletop experience.

beachhead1973
2013-10-10, 01:08 PM
Yeah, you gotta like rolling dice and playing with a map makes it way easier too.

Brookshw
2013-10-10, 01:52 PM
I ran exodus for a while. Fallout d20 for $5. Decent set up and the group liked it.

beachhead1973
2013-10-12, 06:30 PM
Haven't really looked at that much. Is there a character generator? SourceForge maybe? One thing I love about Fallout PnP is how easy it is to make characters. Most systems give me at least a little difficulty, with D20 usually being the most confusing to me, but I found the SPECIAL system very easy to use.

Brookshw
2013-10-13, 10:48 AM
Not that I can recall. I know they have character sheets, a few expansion books and some modules. It's hard to complain considering the price. When it comes to fallout games I'm more concerned with the proper world feel rather than mechanics. You could do it using d&d if you wanted, ogres are mutants, necropolitans ghouls, pre-apocalypse tech is surviving magic items. Get the fluff right and the rest will follow.

Studoku
2013-10-13, 02:06 PM
Dark Heresy (or ideally one of the later, better editions) could be adapted. It's not an obvious choice but it's a system designed around guns, power armor and occasional random mutations.

Red_Death01
2013-10-16, 06:08 AM
I have a group but, we tend to play DnD over it- combat is rather repetitive to the point it is boring. Theres nothing really unique and it is rather watered down. Outside of combat you might as well not even have a character sheet at most times.