PDA

View Full Version : Playing God: Creating an Uber-race.

Clistenes
2013-10-09, 12:29 PM
Let's say some spellcaster is in his way to stealing some divinity spark for himself, Zagyg style, or has discovered a way to suck the power out of Outsiders and Mages and turn it into Divinity, Iuz style, or maybe believes that worship alone can make him a god, Planescape style.

He hasn't the patience to go around trying to convince people that he's a new god, so he's going to create a new race that will worship him from birth. And since he expects the gods to send their pesky churches to attack his flock, hindering his path to true divinity, he will make his creatures as powerful as possible.

An obvious option for a mage would be to create some big ass golems, cast Incarnate on them, turning them into giants, and let them breed with each other. Another (less optimal) choice would be to research an arcane version of Awaken and create some powerful intelligent animals.

If he sticks with the Incarnated Golems, I guess the next step would be to infect them with one of the Lawful strains of Lycanthropy, so they become even more powerful and loyal to him.

Assuming that those creatures won't gain class levels, how else could he enhance his new race? How could he give them some templates or useful abilities?

Red Fel
2013-10-09, 12:32 PM
Make the Emerald Legion (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101587)?

Clistenes
2013-10-09, 12:47 PM
I'm not sure a Troll mating with a War Troll would produce a Half-Troll War Troll instead of a War Troll or a regular Troll.

Anyway, that method seems fine for a mindless Army of Doom. But our mage wants a true race that worships him, and who eventually will create their own civilization and stuff. And that would be grateful to him rather than curse him with every breath for creating them.

I've thought that he could bring Outsiders cross them with his creatures, but Celestials would probably say "f*ck you, we aren't helping you, creep!", and fight him if forced to colaborate, and creating Half-fiends would be a recipe for a future disaster. Half-fey tend to be chaotic, and would probably end not being very religious.

Ruethgar
2013-10-09, 12:48 PM
Mineral Warrior, there is a spell(Forgotten Realms?) that grants the template. Savage Specis of course has the transformation rituals if you just want to buy the perfect soldiers. Not sure it would breed true, but grafts might be a nice addition.

Clistenes
2013-10-09, 12:57 PM
Mineral Warrior, there is a spell(Forgotten Realms?) that grants the template. Savage Specis of course has the transformation rituals if you just want to buy the perfect soldiers. Not sure it would breed true, but grafts might be a nice addition.

Mineral Warrior is from the Underdark book. Even assuming that they breed true, I'm not sure about how to create them. The Savage Species rituals are mostly for PCs who want to adquire templates or change races, and work kind of like taking levels in a class, and these creatures wouldn't evolve or take class levels, but would be more like followers.

He could use Wishes, I guess (the Savage Species book has rules for that).

Segev
2013-10-09, 01:06 PM
Perhaps you could research some sort of Epic Telepathic Bond (http://ps238.nodwick.com/?p=457)?

Clistenes
2013-10-09, 01:25 PM
If two people have children in another Plane, do the kids automathically gain the appropiate template (Celestial, Fiendish, Air, Fire....etc.) or would it take several generations?

What if two people are polymorphed into Solars and have children, do you think they would have Half-celestial children?

Red Fel
2013-10-09, 02:20 PM
To be fair, chaotic doesn't mean irreligious. Consider just how many chaotic deities there are, and how many deities expect their clerics to emulate them.

However, I do think that Lawful is a more appropriate alignment if you want zealots. Particularly Lawful Neutral, if your sole goal is to create a race whose singular purpose in life is to worship your character - they do so irrespective of morality.

Traits I'd advise you to consider:
- Longevity. A race of ageless beings would be able to worship you eternally. More born means more followers. Keeping them in some isolated demiplane allows you to better ensure their survival.
- Simplicity. You don't want a race who will consider complex philosophical ramifications of worshiping a single person - at least, not until after you've ascended to deityhood. Give them smarts enough to survive, but steer them away from loftier thoughts.

Also, consider this word: Paragon. Remember, a racial deity is basically the incarnation of what it means to be the perfect whatever-it-is. Corellon is the perfect elf, Gruumsh the perfect orc, Garl the perfect twit, etc. If you become the deity of your created race, it means you will become what they seek to embody, or should seek to embody.

This means that what your deity-character is will influence what they are. But it also works in the other direction. So consider:

Your character is clearly arrogant. Has to be, to feel that he deserves deification via such means. His race will be prideful and condescending like him.

He is also clearly brilliant. Has to be, to create an entire race and get them to worship him. Thus, his race must value intellect and conniving above other things. Note that this conflicts with Simplicity, above.

So, here is the challenge. Step one, create the race. At the same time, become the physical embodiment (and mental, spiritual concept) of that race's perfection. One method of doing this simultaneously is to use a piece of oneself as the racial seed somehow. Step two, get them to worship you. This will be a challenge - how does one who clearly has no reverence towards deities persuade a race created in his image to revere him?

Succeed at steps one and two, be worshiped for a few thousand years, then ascend. Or get smote before then for meddling in the affairs of gods. Either or, really.

Segev
2013-10-09, 02:36 PM
One could achieve both intelligence and "simplicity" (as defined by not questioning the orthodoxy of your religion) by going for high int and lower wis.

The faith extends quite logically from axioms rooted in a few Premises. Each Premise on which it is founded is gospel truth, not to be examined. Make sure that it is not disprovable, and the high Int won't be able to pull it apart. The low Wis can be exploited to have the reasoning go that it is not disprovable, so obviously adhering to it makes sense.

I'm seeing a race that goes with +2 Int, -2 Wis, +2 Cha, and maybe a -2 to one of the physicals to balance out. Maybe -2 Str, and make them a size category smaller than you are. After all, you're their god; towering over them is appropriate.

Clistenes
2013-10-09, 03:16 PM

Mineral Warrior is from the Underdark book. Even assuming that they breed true, I'm not sure about how to create them. The Savage Species rituals are mostly for PCs who want to adquire templates or change races, and work kind of like taking levels in a class, and these creatures wouldn't evolve or take class levels, but would be more like followers.

He could use Wishes, I guess (the Savage Species book has rules for that).

I've checked, and Mineral Warriors are created with a spell that is limited in time (1 year) and you can only have a limited number of them under your thrall, so it most likely isn't inheritable. It's just a temporal spell effect, like say, stoneskin.