PDA

View Full Version : Price check: Mobile Fortress

qwertyu63
2013-10-09, 01:34 PM
How much should this thing cost? I can't seem to come up with a number.
(if it matters, the bandages are a homebrew item of mine that cost 15gp each)

Mobile Fortress:

At first glance, this item appears to be a simple +1 tower shield forged of iron, but when activated by speaking a command word grows to form a circular wall of iron. These 3 inch thick walls extend 5 feet into the ground, preventing it from tipping over, are 10 feet above the ground, and the circle has a radius of 25 feet. There is a 3 inch thick roof of iron covering the top.

There is a lone door in this wall, which appears where the tower shield was. This door opens only at the command of the owner of the fortress—even knock spells can’t open the door.

The iron walls of mobile fortress have 90 hit points and hardness 10. If any part of the wall is destroyed the fortress automatically deactivates.

The fortress springs up in just 1 round, with the door at the location of the tower shield. The door opens and closes instantly at the owner's command. People and creatures nearby (except the owner) must be careful not to be caught by the fortress’s sudden growth. Anyone so caught takes 3d6 points of damage (Reflex DC 13 half).

Within the fortress is a spread of useful things to those who require the defense of the fortress. Along the circular walls are 10 evenly spaced torches. These torches are ever burning torches, and can not be removed from the wall. The owner can turn the torches on and off with a command word. Along the walls lies 5 simple cots, for sleeping in. The cots can not be taken outside the fortress.

Also along the wall, there stands a cupboard and a basin. The cupboard contains enough food to sustain 5 medium-sized creatures for 24 hours. This food is highly nourishing if rather bland, and decays and becomes inedible within 24 hours. The other contains 5 gallons of pure water. Both of these are refilled to their full status once every 23 hours.

Along yet another part of the wall, there is are several crates. Within these crates, you can find:

* 5 bandages (Heal check DC 15, heals 1d6, takes 1 minute, one use)
* 5 daggers
* 5 small steel shields

The contents of the crates are replaced once every 23 hours, as the old ones vanish.

Also laying off to one side is a chamber pot. Any "biological waste" that finds its way inside the chamber pot is destroyed. Nothing else is destroyed by the chamber pot, and the chamber pot can not be taken outside the fortress.

The fortress is deactivated by speaking a command word (different from the one used to activate it). It cannot be deactivated in this way unless it is empty of all creatures. When it is deactivated, the walls transform back into the shield and all items created by the fortress vanish (food/water consumed is exempt). Once deactivated, the mobile fortress can't be re-activated for 6 hours.

Market value: 60,000 gp
Crafting Requirements: Craft Magical Arms and Armor, Wall of Iron, Create Food and Water and Fabricate

Ansem
2013-10-09, 01:54 PM
First look at what spells need to be cast in order to make the item.
This can help calculating the price.

qwertyu63
2013-10-09, 02:09 PM
First look at what spells need to be cast in order to make the item.
This can help calculating the price.

Off-hand I would say...

Wall of Iron, Create Food and Water and Fabricate

zabbarot
2013-10-09, 02:29 PM
How high are the walls and does the fortress have a ceiling? If so can we assume that it is also iron?

Sorry if I just missed it.

qwertyu63
2013-10-09, 02:36 PM
How high are the walls and does the fortress have a ceiling? If so can we assume that it is also iron?

Sorry if I just missed it.

I failed to state these, but I did know the answers.

The walls go 10 feet above the ground, and there is no ceiling.

Hamste
2013-10-09, 02:44 PM
I failed to state these, but I did know the answers.

The walls go 10 feet above the ground, and there is no ceiling.

I would actually suggest having a roof of some sort. No idea what the actual price is but this sounds expensive and it would suck if it didn't defend you from flying creatures (which would probably be common by the time people can afford this).

DracoDei
2013-10-09, 10:43 PM
You want it to deactivate if a section is destroyed, not damaged.