PDA

View Full Version : So this has been bugging me...

CIDE
2013-10-09, 01:43 PM
Alright, so about Psionic Artificers. I understand the rules people are using to make them so over powered. The problem is that I'm seeing is that specific trumps general in regards to D&D rules. The rules supporting "tier 0" shenanigans are general. And yet in the entry for Psionic Artificer it has a very specific rule stating (Page 42, Magic of Eberron):

Item Creation: A psionic artificer cannot emulate spells to create magic items.

That said wouldn't that completely negate the shenigans? Also, why doesn't that street go both ways with a normal artificer (using transparency rules) be allowed to build the Psionic items as (If i recall correctly) it has no such specific limitation?

OldTrees1
2013-10-09, 03:58 PM
Isn't there a power version of every spell (StP Erudite)?

Doc_Maynot
2013-10-09, 04:05 PM
By that logic is there not a divine version of every Wizard/Sorc Spell, and an arcane of Cleric and Druid spell? (Generic Spellcaster)

Urpriest
2013-10-09, 04:08 PM
By that logic is there not a divine version of every Wizard/Sorc Spell, and an arcane of Cleric and Druid spell? (Generic Spellcaster)

Yes, which is why Archivists are so absurd.

But yes, it's partly due to StP Erudites, and partly due to a clause in Magic Item Compendium that says that any magic item should have a psionic equivalent.

Thrice Dead Cat
2013-10-09, 04:09 PM

That doesn't hold, as the UA Generic caster is used separately from the typical classes whereas the StP Euridite is used alongside wizards, sorcerers and others.

Doc_Maynot
2013-10-09, 04:21 PM

But yes, it's partly due to StP Erudites, and partly due to a clause in Magic Item Compendium that says that any magic item should have a psionic equivalent.

Wait, seriously? :smallconfused:

Urpriest
2013-10-09, 04:35 PM
Wait, seriously? :smallconfused:

Which part?

The Magic Item Compendium thing is on page 232. It specifies that you shouldn't have psionic powers replicate spell effects wholesale, but that if the magic item doesn't precisely duplicate a spell effect then it's fair game.

CIDE
2013-10-09, 05:02 PM
Isn't there a power version of every spell (StP Erudite)?

Yeah, I knew about the bits about X variation of Y spell/power such as divine vs arcane, powers as spells, blah blah blah. Those still seem to be odd and specific exceptions to the rules. And I already mentioned the clause from the magic item compendium.

Which part?

The Magic Item Compendium thing is on page 232. It specifies that you shouldn't have psionic powers replicate spell effects wholesale, but that if the magic item doesn't precisely duplicate a spell effect then it's fair game.

Which specifically is the clause I've seen people quote to abuse Psionic Artificer. Which would mean the two variations can basically do the same thing. Though, this thread is the first time I've heard anyone use the StP erudite to justify it.

Doc_Maynot
2013-10-09, 05:14 PM
Which part?

The Generic Spellcaster part, with the divine versions of Wiz/Sorc Spells and arcane of Cleric/Druid ones.