PDA

View Full Version : Wall Spells

ZhanStrider
2013-10-09, 03:11 PM
What would you guys say is the best wall spell for a caster who can cast 5th level spells? I'm thinking Wall of Scales, but not too sure. Further, a Dragonslayer-type character is now trying to kill my Dragon Disciple. He has improved unarmed strike and stunning fist, and some other feats i'm not sure of (Dragon disciple is level 18, he's at least that) any ideas on dealing with him? He has armor that grants spell resistance, so that's irritating.

Garagos
2013-10-09, 03:20 PM
Wouldn't Wall of Force be better? I guess I'm not sure what purpose you plan on using the wall for, but wall of force is immune to pretty much all damage besides things like Disintegrate.

ZhanStrider
2013-10-09, 03:37 PM
Wouldn't Wall of Force be better? I guess I'm not sure what purpose you plan on using the wall for, but wall of force is immune to pretty much all damage besides things like Disintegrate.

I plan on using it for any situation its useful.

Darrin
2013-10-09, 06:32 PM
What would you guys say is the best wall spell for a caster who can cast 5th level spells?

Wall of sand from the Spell Compendium. It's similar to solid fog, except targets inside the wall are blinded, deafened, can't speak, and can't breathe. Spells with a verbal component can't be cast at all, any other spell requires a Concentration check DC 20 + spell level. Targets can only move by making a Str check, 5' for every 5 points they exceed a DC 10. Save: None, SR: No.

Xaragos
2013-10-10, 04:29 AM
I agree with the Wall of Sand and Wall of Force choices...but how about these two as well: Wall of Ooze and Wall of Magma. Definitely some interesting options there. Magma deals double damage to undead/water creatures and Ooze deals 2d6 acid damage and can consume a creature in 1d6 rounds adding to its own HP? Ummm yes please!

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-10-10, 05:22 AM
Wall of Sand gets my vote, considering you can cast it on top of opponents to trap them inside, and it's especially good when you can fill the entire room with it.

If non-Wizard spells are included in this, Wall of Thorns (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/wallOfThorns.htm) is one of the absolute worst things to get stuck in. No saving throw, can't Escape Artist out, and you have to get a Strength check result of 25+ to move at all, for a hundred rounds per caster level.

Xaragos
2013-10-10, 08:45 AM
Wall of Sand gets my vote, considering you can cast it on top of opponents to trap them inside, and it's especially good when you can fill the entire room with it.

If non-Wizard spells are included in this, Wall of Thorns (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/wallOfThorns.htm) is one of the absolute worst things to get stuck in. No saving throw, can't Escape Artist out, and you have to get a Strength check result of 25+ to move at all, for a hundred rounds per caster level.

I think for Wall of Sand they get a reflex save to prevent being trapped from the wall of Sand like most other walls.

Wall of Thorns....oye...yeah that is pretty nasty. Combine that with entangle...or maybe one of the fog line of spells....that just gets ugly. Good suggestion.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-10-10, 08:49 AM
I think for Wall of Sand they get a reflex save to prevent being trapped from the wall of Sand like most other walls.

Wall of Thorns....oye...yeah that is pretty nasty. Combine that with entangle...or maybe one of the fog line of spells....that just gets ugly. Good suggestion.

Wall of Sand is also Saving Throw: None, though it's considerably easier to move through than Wall of Thorns.

If you get someone trapped in Wall of Thorns, you can easily finish them off with reach weapons, as the wall itself doesn't even provide cover or concealment. Or get someone to put a (Fell Drain) Kelgore's Grave Mist spell on them, so they have even less chance of escaping and take damage every round.

Darrin
2013-10-10, 09:10 AM

That's how it was in Sandstorm (March 2005), but the Spell Compendium (December 2005) version was published later and thus takes precedence.

ericgrau
2013-10-10, 09:19 AM
I'd make wall of force your main go to. But having multiple walls for versatility is nice. At your level a 50 hp wall might drop in a single attack. For example wall of ice is a nice 2nd wall for versatility, and it's level 4. Unlike wall of scales the entrapment effect can have no save. It has less hp, but it's one attack to remove either way, and it does a small amount of damage so you barely come out ahead. It's a good way to trade actions with a dangerous assassin until your allies come. Especially on a sorcerer who can keep spamming it.

Ruethgar
2013-10-10, 10:37 AM
War Wall of Stone, 4th level. Only Chameleons, Cheesing Trapsmiths and StP Erudites can use it(Erudites being the better option), but making 25 walls per caster level is nice.