PDA

View Full Version : Roy took ranks in ride

Kornaki
2013-10-09, 05:49 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0141.html

Elan is presented as being much better at ride than Roy, and now in the current comic Elan falls off the dinosaur while Roy stays on.... any bets that Roy maxed out ride when he leveled up just so he could get back to a world where he was more competent than Elan?

Muenster Man
2013-10-09, 06:41 PM
Since Roy held on, I assumed it was a grapple check. Although I don't think the rules really cover what happens when your walking mount accidentally rolls forward.

Or maybe it was a ride check, but the situation called for it to be modified by a Strength check instead of a Dexterity check.

Or maybe Elan and Belkar just rolled poorly. :smallfrown:

I don't think Roy has ridden anything in the meantime to warrant max ranks in the ride skill.

Ramien
2013-10-09, 07:02 PM
Since Roy held on, I assumed it was a grapple check. Although I don't think the rules really cover what happens when your walking mount accidentally rolls forward.

Or maybe it was a ride check, but the situation called for it to be modified by a Strength check instead of a Dexterity check.

I don't think Roy has ridden anything in the meantime to warrant max ranks in the ride skill.

If you look at it right, he spent strips 484 - 664 "riding the pine".

Cerussite
2013-10-09, 07:10 PM

Well, Haley asserts on OotPCs that you don't actually need to spend time training the skill as long as you're gaining XP.

Muenster Man
2013-10-09, 07:13 PM
Well, Haley asserts on OotPCs that you don't actually need to spend time training the skill as long as you're gaining XP.

Yet another reason why I need to buy the prequels

Everyl
2013-10-09, 07:24 PM
I doubt he maxed Ride out entirely, but I wouldn't be surprised if he at least invested a few more ranks in it. Also, it seems like the kind of situation where dice luck could easily account for who did and did not fall off.

EDIT:
Actually, at second glance, Roy is the only one who had both hands on the big guy when the two dinosaurs clashed. Both Elan and Belkar had their hands either in the air or, in Belkar's case, maybe holding the invisible reins (he was still hanging onto them when they became visible again in page 2, panel 5, anyway). Regardless, Roy was the only one concentrating on staying on the dino's back.

Blisstake
2013-10-09, 07:27 PM
Also, Elan's holding onto Roy for support, while Roy's holding onto the dinosaur. Actually, that's not really very relevant, just something I noticed :smalltongue:

Kornaki
2013-10-09, 07:51 PM
EDIT:
Actually, at second glance, Roy is the only one who had both hands on the big guy when the two dinosaurs clashed. Both Elan and Belkar had their hands either in the air or, in Belkar's case, maybe holding the invisible reins (he was still hanging onto them when they became visible again in page 2, panel 5, anyway). Regardless, Roy was the only one concentrating on staying on the dino's back.

And "hold onto the dinosaur when it enters combat" seems like the kind of thing you would learn how to do when you get ride skill points :smalltongue:

Spoomeister
2013-10-09, 10:11 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0141.html

Elan is presented as being much better at ride than Roy, and now in the current comic Elan falls off the dinosaur while Roy stays on.... any bets that Roy maxed out ride when he leveled up just so he could get back to a world where he was more competent than Elan?

OR, Roy has progressed and grown as a character while Elan is still a doofus. So when a situation involves riding a giant monster, Roy is calm and composed while Elan is flailing about wildly.

Mike Havran
2013-10-09, 11:25 PM
Also, Elan's holding onto Roy for support, while Roy's holding onto the dinosaur. Actually, that's not really very relevant, just something I noticed :smalltongue:
I noticed it too. If Elan had more ranks in Ride, it should be the other way around - or no?

karkus
2013-10-09, 11:37 PM
just so he could get back to a world where he was more competent than Elan

This, 100% :smallbiggrin:

Porthos
2013-10-10, 12:08 AM
I noticed it too. If Elan had more ranks in Ride, it should be the other way around - or no?

Roy just rolled better on his check. :smallwink:

Koo Rehtorb
2013-10-10, 05:12 AM
I assume it was grapple rather than ride based on how Durkon held on just fine.

Souhiro
2013-10-10, 05:20 AM
Maybe he took some ranks, but I think that he just got a good roll, while Belkar failed. Keep in mind that Ride is a DEX skill, and Roy must have a HUGE penalty, due his armor, while Belkar is stated to have a good bonus to DEX (as seen in Geekery, and also for being small) So I think it's just the art.

MST3K mantra, men!

SiuiS
2013-10-10, 05:29 AM

You never use a grapple check unless you are grappling and specifically using the grappling object. Grappling is always an attack roll deal, and just like you don't use attack rolls to give someone a high five, you don't use grappling to hold on to someone.

This means that when dealing with an unextenuated circumstance with a monster more than two size categories bigger than you, you use climb checks to stay on (or, yes, ride, if you're in that situation).

GnomeGninjas
2013-10-10, 05:45 AM
Maybe he took some ranks, but I think that he just got a good roll, while Belkar failed. Keep in mind that Ride is a DEX skill, and Roy must have a HUGE penalty, due his armor, while Belkar is stated to have a good bonus to DEX (as seen in Geekery, and also for being small) So I think it's just the art.

MST3K mantra, men!

Armor check penalty only aplies to ride (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/ride.htm)when Fast Mounting or Fast Dismounting. Apart from that Roy's armor won't be a problem.

Muenster Man
2013-10-10, 08:16 AM
You never use a grapple check unless you are grappling and specifically using the grappling object. Grappling is always an attack roll deal, and just like you don't use attack rolls to give someone a high five, you don't use grappling to hold on to someone.

Every high five in a tabletop session should be rolled for to determine how awesome it was :smallbiggrin:

This means that when dealing with an unextenuated circumstance with a monster more than two size categories bigger than you, you use climb checks to stay on (or, yes, ride, if you're in that situation).

Yeah, I wasn't sure if Climb was involved, but that would make sense because Durkon held on no problem due to his Spider Climb ability and Climb checks are usually modified by Strength. Sort of like Shadow of the Colossus, I guess.

theinsulabot
2013-10-10, 09:06 AM
durkon is just hanging off the side, I think thats the vampire ability spider climb, so is unrelated

Poppatomus
2013-10-10, 12:57 PM
durkon is just hanging off the side, I think thats the vampire ability spider climb, so is unrelated

I had completely forgotten about spider climb. Vampires really are useful.

AKA_Bait
2013-10-10, 01:01 PM

Does spider climb work for climbing living creatures? I thought it was limited to walls and stuff.

Bulldog Psion
2013-10-10, 01:21 PM
Does spider climb work for climbing living creatures? I thought it was limited to walls and stuff.

In the SRD, all it says is "vertical surfaces." So I guess a dinosaur might count as one. Not sure, though.

Greatmoustache
2013-10-10, 03:38 PM
any bets that Roy maxed out ride when he leveled up just so he could get back to a world where he was more competent than Elan?

also, i think it's safe to assume that, a person who has experienced this (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0443.html) and who later declares having learned this lesson (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0686.html), would take some ranks in ride.

(the climb check makes so much sense, so this may be irrelevant. but regardless, i'm sure that roy learned how to ride since the fall.)

KillianHawkeye
2013-10-10, 03:51 PM
In the SRD, all it says is "vertical surfaces." So I guess a dinosaur might count as one. Not sure, though.

I would say the allosaurus counts as being sufficiently vertical.

Turgon9357
2013-10-10, 04:09 PM
If you look at it right, he spent strips 484 - 664 "riding the pine".

That sounds dirty.

MtlGuy
2013-10-10, 04:56 PM
Every time I read one of these I'm reminded of The Simpson's Episode "Itchy & Scratchy and Poochie" in which Homer confronts the show's hardcore fans over supposed continuity errors...

Kornaki
2013-10-10, 05:56 PM
I don't think it's a continuity error, I think it might be an example of really subtle characterization. If it is not intended to relate back to that comic then it's just Roy randomly making his ride check which is expected occasionally.

Sylthia
2013-10-10, 05:59 PM
Stay in Saddle has a Ride DC of 5, although there's probably some modifiers in there (like not having a saddle for one, which I think is a -5 penalty). There's enough of a spread on a d20 roll, that it's impossible to tell who has more ranks in ride from it.

archon_huskie
2013-10-11, 02:51 PM
Doesn't Elan only have about 2 ranks in Ride.

Roy could have easily taken more ranks than that since the Starmetal Sidequest. For Roy it is a Class Skill. It's Cross Class for Elan. Or not. I forget what the Dashing Swordman's Class skills are.

Sunken Valley
2013-10-11, 03:14 PM
It's obvious. He put ranks in ride for celia. She approves.:smallwink:

SiuiS
2013-10-11, 03:19 PM

Nope. It allows for a climb speed, basically.

I would say the allosaurus counts as being sufficiently vertical.

At least when it counts. No need to climb a horizontal allosaurus!

Ramien
2013-10-11, 03:20 PM
That sounds dirty.

Not quite how I meant it, but I suppose Celia shouldn't be told about that particular turn of phrase.

dps
2013-10-11, 05:10 PM
OR, Roy has progressed and grown as a character while Elan is still a doofus. So when a situation involves riding a giant monster, Roy is calm and composed while Elan is flailing about wildly.

Or, the character with no ranks in ride is just holding on tight because he doesn't know to do anything else, while the character with ride is more at ease and not holding on as tight.

Winter Light
2013-10-11, 06:05 PM
Not quite how I meant it, but I suppose Celia shouldn't be told about that particular turn of phrase.

Poor girl; her first boyfriend gets caught slipping the wood to a dryad, her second winds up riding the pine...