PDA

View Full Version : 'Building' Feats and Generic Classes

Xuldarinar
2013-10-09, 08:15 PM
Two things I want to address here, well one in reference to the other. What I refer to as Building Feats, and the generic classes.

Building Feats, in my terminology, include feat sets such as Aberrant feats, Abyssal Heritor feats, and Devil-Touched feats. Essentially any set of feats that become more effective the more feats of that set you have, building upon themselves. I know of no official term for them collectively, otherwise i'd use that term instead. My points of curiosity here are, are there any other sets of these, and which is the best set?

I bring up generic classes here because of the number of nonspecific bonus feats they attain. Using this, surely one could gain a great focus on one of these feat sets. Would this be advisable?

The question here is purely academic, though at some point may come to the table.

holywhippet
2013-10-09, 08:22 PM
I'd call them feat chains personally. It's hard to define a best set as they can be circumstantial and depend on your class build. The "shot" chain: point blank shot, precise shot, rapid shot and many shot can be lethal if you have the right enchantments on your bow for example.

Xuldarinar
2013-10-09, 08:33 PM
I'd call them feat chains personally. It's hard to define a best set as they can be circumstantial and depend on your class build. The "shot" chain: point blank shot, precise shot, rapid shot and many shot can be lethal if you have the right enchantments on your bow for example.

Well, the reason why I didn't use the term feat chains was, well it would refer to your example. Its a more encompassing term. A good example of the feats I meant is Inhuman Vision (You gain a racial bonus on Spot checks equal to the number of aberrant feats you possess. The range of your darkvision improves by 5 feet for every aberrant feat you possess. If you do not already have darkvision, you gain darkvision out to 5 feet for each aberrant feat you possess). Ones that become more powerful the more of the set you have.

Helcack
2013-10-09, 10:52 PM
I think that it would make for a fun character, but for advisable I always found there were better places to put my non-specific feats.

eggynack
2013-10-10, 12:21 AM
Shifter feats and luck feats probably fit in this category.

TuggyNE
2013-10-10, 01:07 AM
Two things I want to address here, well one in reference to the other. What I refer to as Building Feats, and the generic classes.

Building Feats, in my terminology, include feat sets such as Aberrant feats, Abyssal Heritor feats, and Devil-Touched feats. Essentially any set of feats that become more effective the more feats of that set you have, building upon themselves. I know of no official term for them collectively, otherwise i'd use that term instead. My points of curiosity here are, are there any other sets of these, and which is the best set?

Some psionic feats are like this, though not as formally. (Mostly Psionic Body, I think.)

I'd call them "cumulative" feats, personally, or something similar. Maybe "set-additive".

eggynack
2013-10-10, 01:09 AM
I'd call them "cumulative" feats, personally, or something similar. Maybe "set-additive".
Maybe synergy feats? It's a word that's annoying in most places, but it's surprisingly apt when discussing game mechanics.

Fax Celestis
2013-10-10, 01:13 AM
I wouldn't worry about it. A generic spellcaster who bombs all his feats into [Draconic] feats isn't spending his feats on metamagic or item creation. It's power, but it's a different kind of power, not necessarily a new or stronger one.