PDA

View Full Version : GITP Posters, ASSEMBLE!

A Pointy Object
2007-01-01, 12:18 AM
Attention all! I have a crucial problem!

See, I'm in line for DMing nect in my group, and I've been planning for the group to start out at Level 2 or 3. The story starts as the PCs, along with two dozen other people, arrive in a large port town on a ship. The PCs do or do not know each other at this point (depending on the personalities), but they all have time to explore the town for two days while the ship restocks its supplies. However, the PCs are unaware that the town will come under attack by an enemy nation (which the PCs will figure out eventually, and why) in less than 36 hours. My question, which may decide the outcome of the entire story is this:

WHAT SHOULD THE SHIP BE NAMED?

This world is homebrew, with three main kingdoms based upon Medieval Europe (a mesh of all races), The Roman Empire (mostly humans and dwarves), and The Japanese Empire (humans, some elves, and other exotic races).

Folie
2007-01-01, 12:31 AM
Behold! Seventh Sanctum's Ship Name Generator!
http://www.seventhsanctum.com/generate.php?Genname=shipnamer

Or you can steal the name of our campaign's ship: the Kraken's Whip. (The "whipped" hand gesture and sound effect is optional.)

EDIT: Two other ship names I'd like to see come from songs about seafaring: the Cruel Mistress (Flogging Molly) and the Mariner's Revenge (The Decemberists).
EDIT2: One other name that I just thought of: the Snowball's Chance.:smallbiggrin:

Amotis
2007-01-01, 12:33 AM
"We've been here literally since you have."

Demented
2007-01-01, 12:40 AM
First off from that random ship name generator has a minute flaw....
"The Devistation Circlet"

In any case, it would be best as "The Piņa Colada".

Carrion_Humanoid
2007-01-01, 12:46 AM
The livley seal? Awsome

The False Rebellion? Im stealing that one.

The Spider's Hour? No. . . Just no. . .

The Killer? Mabye. . . IN HELL!

Windhammer
2007-01-01, 12:46 AM
Tip of the Hat to Neil Stephenson (from Snow Crash)

"The Whirlwind Reaper"

Demented
2007-01-01, 12:52 AM
random ship names

Can't be worse than:
The Romantic Pedro
The Tactical Teacher

<_<

Hamster_Ninja
2007-01-01, 01:47 AM
The concrete slab

The Budafuco Fiber

MandibleBones
2007-01-01, 01:57 AM
At risk of invoking the 1000+ list of things the Worst Party in Eberron is No Longer Allowed To Do...

The Forgotton Freedom

Logic
2007-01-01, 01:57 AM
The only one I liked was "Caller's Sandals"

Folie
2007-01-01, 01:59 AM
My question, which may decide the outcome of the entire story, is this:

Question: what exactly is the tone (or tones) you'd like to set with this campaign? If you're trying to be serious, I'd like to know that before I (and possibly some of the other posters) spend any more time coming up with a bunch of silly names. Then again, you could be going for irony, so perhaps a silly name would fit just right.:smalltongue:

Grey Watcher
2007-01-01, 02:02 AM
The Plot Device

Or The Wicked Wench, but that might be tipping your hand a bit too much. :smallwink:

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2007-01-01, 02:03 AM
seems to me that your focus shouldn't be the name of a ship. Personally, I would think it would be how to get all your PCs to defend the city they're in. I've been apart of parties that will do nothing that you want them to, and everything you expect them not to do. To me, it looks as if none of them are from the town, so unless they're all good aligned, they probably don't have any personal reason to save the town, just themselves.

NEO|Phyte
2007-01-01, 02:18 AM
The Flying McGuffin

Shadow of the Sun
2007-01-01, 03:16 AM
The Ocean Soul. Yes, I just looked through my playlist in winamp for a suitable name. Sue me.

pita
2007-01-01, 08:17 AM
I'll take a leaf out of Terry Pratchett's page book and call it Unnamed Ship. It's how the book refers to it. With the italics and all.

2007-01-01, 09:10 AM
The Ocean Soul. Yes, I just looked through my playlist in winamp for a suitable name. Sue me.

In the same vein I suggest The Infanta

Neo
2007-01-01, 09:39 AM
The Wayward Traveller
The Eternal Vigil
The Spirit Soaring
The Valiant Charge

All I've got for now at short notice.

Gorbad the Limb Rippa
2007-01-01, 09:43 AM
Lady of the Blue,
cliche, i know

stainboy
2007-01-01, 09:50 AM
I'd call the ship The Prancing Weasel. I'd also name the first bar the PCs set foot in The Prancing Weasel. In fact I'd establish that The Prancing Weasel is a franchise, which includes ships, bars, magic item shops, and houses of ill repute all across your campaign world.

This will save you a lot of work, trust me.

Beleriphon
2007-01-01, 10:00 AM
I'd call the ship The Prancing Weasel. I'd also name the first bar the PCs set foot in The Prancing Weasel. In fact I'd establish that The Prancing Weasel is a franchise, which includes ships, bars, magic item shops, and houses of ill repute all across your campaign world.

This will save you a lot of work, trust me.

The Prancing Weasel? Nice work on that one.

Sara's Courage is my personal suggestion.

blackout
2007-01-01, 10:05 AM
The Black Knight. Seriously. It fits in with the fantasy setting(somewhat)and sounds cool.

prufock
2007-01-01, 01:59 PM
The "Pat and Irene."

Scorpina
2007-01-01, 02:55 PM
Queen *insert setting appropriate name here*'s Revenge.

Totally.

Shadow of the Sun
2007-01-01, 03:11 PM
Heh. The Raft of Charon would be a good one and if you are an evil DM, a sign of things to come.

Spasticteapot
2007-01-01, 03:27 PM
The FUBAR.

More seriously, though

The Duck Hawk

The Sun's Ray

The Wandering Sun

The Slippery Eel

The Drake

The Ambition's Decree

The Swiftanchor (due to a time when the anchor chain was too short - hence "swiftanchor")

The Teapot's Omen (tea traders?)

The Great Fred

A Pointy Object
2007-01-01, 11:23 PM
Question: what exactly is the tone (or tones) you'd like to set with this campaign? If you're trying to be serious, I'd like to know that before I (and possibly some of the other posters) spend any more time coming up with a bunch of silly names.

The campaign's serious, I was just having a major case of writer's block with the name. There IS a point to this.
Anyway, thanks for all the names. I know now what to use now.

Halcyon_Dax
2007-01-01, 11:26 PM
"The Pride of the Pixies"

Ikkitosen
2007-01-04, 07:53 AM
Are they pirates, privateers or adventuring types? If so call it the "Hazardous Venture".

A Pointy Object
2007-01-11, 12:10 AM
The ship they initially debark from is a short of public transport ship; they pay to get to places, and the boat docks in various ports to restock itself.

Machete
2007-01-11, 12:16 AM
The Clumsy Walrus

JaronK
2007-01-11, 12:30 AM
Serenity

Or...
The Albatross?

ExHunterEmerald
2007-01-11, 12:48 AM
I went with a Shakespearean theme for my airships, but roman?
...I wonder if there's something to be found in "De inimico non loquaris sed cogites." (Don't wish ill for your enemies, plan it.)
I would look at Latin sayings or maybe amalgams of a few words for a name, but that's just me.

Toric
2007-01-11, 12:52 AM
Behold! Seventh Sanctum's Ship Name Generator!
http://www.seventhsanctum.com/generate.php?Genname=shipnamer

Hmm, that gave me a ship name of "The Prototype Necromancy." Interesting... Then again it also came up with "The Silver Portal" which could be very fitting for a transport ship that kicks off an adventure.

LurkerinthePlaygnd
2007-01-11, 01:07 AM
If you combine Nautical Queen and Sea King you could have the Nau-Sea.

That's what Fred and Barney did.

LordLocke
2007-01-11, 04:58 AM
The Blue Orca for the bold
The (Sea God of your choosing)'s Blessing for the beautiful.
The Grave Mistake for comedy's sake.

(Be sure to mention that, since they couldn't afford a shipwright to build it, they contracted the town undertaker for the project instead- coffins, boats, both use wood, right?)

Demented
2007-01-11, 05:22 AM
Tried that Ship-Namer again. Here's the highlights:

The Contemplation Heaven (Really now, a ship for philosophy?)

The Wyrm's Vest (Well, aren't we regal)

The Unity
The Unity Noose (I sense a rivalry)

The Hooker's Sisterhood (Kinky)

The Boasting Kevin (He visited the previous ship)

The Hooker's Innocence (Totally gone)

Bouldering Jove
2007-01-11, 06:22 AM
The Undertaking is cute. Maybe a little too cute.

Dhavaer
2007-01-11, 07:25 AM
Take a leaf from the Culture's book.

Attitude Adjuster

Frank Exchange of Views

So Much for Subtlety

Gunboat Diplomat

Bad for Business

Just Another Victim of the Ambient Morality

Thank You and Goodnight

Nuisance Value

Resistance is Character Forming

We Haven't Met But You're A Great Fan Of Mine

Reformed Nice Guy

Now Look What You've Made Me Do

ExHunterEmerald
2007-01-11, 09:25 AM
The Adjective Noun.
...no?I tend to work around that name formula for the most part. Sort of annoys me. I like one or three-plus word names a good deal.

Person_Man
2007-01-11, 09:53 AM
Honeybunch. Or perhaps the Ship of Lost Souls.

A standard plot device for me is to start all of my PC's with zero equipment at first level on a slave ship, in chains, on their way to an island to be sold.

It gives them a reason to be together and work together. It makes acquiring or finding basic equipment and low level magic items a very big deal. And most importantly, it gives them plenty of encounters that won't kill them at their fragile early levels: lots of interesting roleplaying, breaking out of prison, fighting guards armed with saps who don't want to destroy valuable property (them), stealing weapons, fomenting a rebellion, meeting a helpful Wizard Abolitionist who notices their potential and slips one of the PC's a spellbook, eventually escaping and moving on or coming back to free everyone else, etc.

Telonius
2007-01-11, 10:21 AM
Aurora.
Wavecutter.
Darien's Wager.

General_Ghoul
2007-01-11, 10:44 AM
The Minnow.

Wolf53226
2007-01-11, 10:58 AM
Although you already stated that you don't like the format The Verb Noun what I have named the ship for the one I am starting is The Fateful Venture, then translated it into spanish for La Empresa Funesta, it probably is a rather rough translation since I don't actually speak spanish. I have also given German names to ships and such, just to be a little flavorful.

ampcptlogic
2007-01-11, 11:05 AM
Just don't call it Bismarck, Lusitania, or Titanic.

Fax Celestis
2007-01-11, 12:15 PM
Post-Dated Check Loan

Inevitably Destructive and Invariably Victorious Under Any and All Circumstances, Regardless of Opponent's Might, Prowess, or Willpower

Machete
2007-01-11, 12:29 PM
Yummy Schlocky goodness.

The Sword of Indomitable Righteousness

Chris_Chandler
2007-01-11, 12:33 PM
I say Margret

Roderick_BR
2007-01-11, 12:59 PM
"Spelunk!"
- That's the sound the latest model did when we put it on the water..

Arang
2007-01-11, 01:09 PM
Condor, Empress, (insert colour here) Rose, Swimming Seagull, and Kraken Munchies, off the top of my head.

And if you're willing to make the crew illiterates, names such as The Hexadecimal, Comprehensiveness and Floccinaucinihilipilification might be funny. :smallbiggrin:

squishycube
2007-01-11, 01:46 PM
I often use references when I name things, but I do them in a language my players can't understand. With the romans around, latin is always nice:

Consentio Fabrica (Plot Device :thog: )

Rockphed
2007-01-11, 02:04 PM
Floccinaucinihilipilification:smallbiggrin:

What sane ships captain would accept a name that he couldn't pronounce quickly? This would probably get shortened to the Flock, or maybe the Flocksey...

Now for real names...The Clockwork Buffalo...The Han's Escape...The Dawnbringer...The Ya Got Me There

Hmmm, Can't think of anymore.

Dizlag
2007-01-11, 03:48 PM
Here's a few we've used for ships in 50 Fathoms ... a Savage Worlds campaign:

The Fathom Menace (we really couldn't help ourselves to that ;-)

The Ocean's Roar

Borrowed Time (in that we are "borrowing" it, permanently and what our character's have done already in the campaign, should've killed us already. Hehehe)

Enjoy!

Dizlag

Viscount Einstrauss
2007-01-11, 03:58 PM
Red Tide

Merhammer

Swift Sue

Lord's Second Mount

The Terrible Terror of Terrifying Things

Jade_Tarem
2007-01-11, 04:12 PM
For Serious: