PDA

View Full Version : Elocutionist (Build Help) [WIP S1][Edited]

TabletopGamer
2013-10-09, 11:36 PM
This is the idea of a really powerful Truenamer class. Using the words from Skyrim's Shouts to help give it flavor and verity.
I was also thinking of using the Invocations from the Warlock and DFA to make the effects for some of the words.

I was thinking of making them work in syllables with the progression allowing the Elocutionist to first use 1 syllable for limited weaker spell like effects, then add a second, third and lastly a fourth syllable

The more syllables added the stronger the spell. 4 Syllable words would be equivalent to 9th level spells and might even use some of the 9th level powers such as Gate like the Truenamer and the like.

But the progressions are a problem I was thinking of making it progress like the Truenamer in that it has normally 3 syllable progression with a class feature at 16th or 17th level that opens up a 4th syllable to be added into a established 3 syllable word.

Fus Roh Dah would give the force shout ability like in Skyrim but adding The Third Syllable Maar from Faas Ru Maar Shout could add a Fear ability to the force blast as well as increased damage forcing them to make a will save or after the damage they flee in terror. Or something of the like.
I plan on using some of the utterances as words as well.

Any suggestions I need help with the base idea which is why this is Stage 1 (S1)

Edit: Upon sleeping on it and considering more angles. I was thinking of making the Elocutionist more like a merge between Warlock and Truenamer. With the Murmers, Utterances, Incantations, and Recitations acting in place of Least, Lesser, Great, and Dark (or Greater) invocations. But working the same way with them as At-Will Spell-Like Abilities.

The Shouts would act as the Warlock's Eldritch Blast but with more customizations by using 3 [words] to alter the shout to grant it special abilities and situational advantages. Also as a At-Will but both Shouts and the Invocations would be Standard Actions to limit them in power per turn. Using DFA Invocation-like Words to grant abilities such as Slow to the shouts would make them not just damage dealers but inflict effects and specific types of damage if the Opponent has resistances. Of course Murmers and the like could deal direct damage by warping the cosmos to rain meteors in an area effect but the shouts can be customized to suit needs and areas such as under a crypt a rain of meteors doesn't seem exactly helpful.