PDA

View Full Version : Combining real life-playing and play by posting + foreign language

Ravitiate
2013-10-10, 03:50 AM
Hi,

I and a couple of friends have a real life game going, but we live far apart from each other and rarely get to play in person (3-4 times a year). I therefore pose the following two questions:

- Could we play in the play-by-post forum in between the real life playing? This would make it very hard for anyone who isn't us 3 to actually follow the play-by-posting, it would pretty much only be for our own use.
- Could we play in Norwegian? It's not a problem playing in English, we're all fantasy geeks - it's more of an exercise to speak "fantasy-Norwegian" than "fantasy-English" in fact. We don’t even have good phrases for simple things like “Hello good sire” or “Would it not be more sensible to continue onwards”. As I always read English fantasy, to post in Norwegian would be a great exercise in articulating what I want to say in a fitting manner.

Regardless, thanks :smallsmile:

Manga Shoggoth
2013-10-10, 04:01 AM
From the forum rules:

Typing Incoherently/Foreign Languages

This is an English-speaking forum. With the exception of text-only translations of the comic or other specifically authorized exceptions, please use English only on this forum. While an occasional word or phrase is acceptable, entire posts, conversations, or threads in languages other than English will be scrubbed or closed.

A forum is a written medium and people have to read what you write. Chat speak, l33t speak, encrypted/enciphered text, and anything that has to be "translated" falls into this area. You may have something incredible to say, but it won't be read if you use "m8" and "pwn3d" as every other word in a post. The occasional typo or confusion regarding spelling is understood and expected, but at least take a moment to read over a message before you post it.

The Mods might grant an exception for you, but I doubt it.

If this is a play-by-mail game between the three of you you might be better off running it by email.

Ravitiate
2013-10-10, 06:04 AM
Thanks. I'm aware of the rules, but I figured it can't hurt to ask. Hadn't thought about playing via e-mail, I figured fudging rolls would be to easy, I got very inspired by the PBP-concept and figured I had to ask. If playing by email is a thing, is there some sort of permanent dice roller that would fit a play by email-format? Couldn't find anything on Google that would suffice. Because if this is the case, this whole discussion is pretty much over :smallsmile:

Manga Shoggoth
2013-10-10, 06:50 AM
PBM (Play-by-Mail) by its very nature has always been open to fudging dice rolls. In my (limited) experience the GM usually does all the dice rolls for a PBM to limit this.

This forum is the only place I have ever seen a built in dice roller. Some of the other dedicated RPG boards out there may have that functionallity, but I am not familliar with them, so am not in a position to comment. You might want to drop a query in one of the Roleplaying Forums here as the people there should be more familliar with the other boards.

Roland St. Jude
2013-10-10, 08:56 AM
Sheriff: Please don't conduct your game in anything other than English. Otherwise, you're welcome to hold a game here, even if it's just your real life group, and even if it's sporadic.

All the general questions not related to the forum itself can be taken up in the Roleplaying section or Friendly Banter, as suggested.