PDA

View Full Version : Duskblade, arcane channeling, ideas

Nightraiderx
2013-10-10, 09:04 AM
My question here is how does Arcane channeling affect a spell like lightning blade?
I'm without books atm so I don't have definitions up but I am contemplating a duskblade 13 build using precocious apprentice (lightning blade)
How would that work with arcane channeling full?
Full attack 3 attacks either
(+10d6 through out + xd6 number you invest in the spell)
or
(+xd6 + xd6 the number you invest for damage is supplemented by the dice you use)

Another question I have is regarding the use of the mobile casting feat,
using the first arcane channeling I would be able to move my speed
because the spell is standard action, but would arcane channeling (full)
still qualify me using the feat even though the attack is full action, the spell is still standard?

Diarmuid
2013-10-10, 10:52 AM
Using the improved Arcane Chanelling at 13th lvl or higher, you would not be able to utilize Mobile Spellcasting.

The spell being cast is no longer a standard action. The spell being cast is now included as part of taking a full attack action, and by virtue of taking the full attack action you now have forgone your ability to take a move action.

Person_Man
2013-10-10, 01:40 PM
You can use a standard action to make 1 attack and cast 1 Duskblade spell, and as part of that action use Mobile Casting to make a Concentration check and move.

But Mobile Casting can't be used with a spell that takes longer than 1 standard action. A full attack action is a full round action. So you can't use the full attack (13th level+) option with Mobile Casting.

Nightraiderx
2013-10-10, 05:06 PM
fair enough, how would lightning blade work with the arcane channeling?
or is lightning blade not a valid target of the duskblade's ability?

Aracor
2013-10-10, 06:36 PM
Hard to say for sure. I personally would rule that as it's an effect spell as well as a touch spell, that it wouldn't work. How do you channel a sword-shaped beam through a sword?

DR27
2013-10-10, 09:37 PM
I'm kinda confused. Are you trying to channel Lightning Blade? RAW would be that the creature hit by your arcane channeled lighting blade gets a sword blade of crackling electrical energy in it's hand. (provided it decides it's willing) That might not be very good for you. (especially if you just sundered that opponent's weapon)

Are you trying to use Lightning Blade to arcane channel another spell? (channeling just says weapon, I think lightning blade should count, not sure about RAW) Because that's all kinds of awesome, even if limited in terms of times per day. It would only be able to deal 10d6 damage in it's entire life though - but has the advantage over your normal weapon of hitting the enemy's touch AC.

Grim Reader
2013-10-11, 04:48 AM
After Duskblade 13, take two levels of Wyrm Wizard and nab Harm of the Adept list. Most fun spell to channel.

Allanimal
2013-10-11, 05:33 AM
Arcane Channelling requires a touch spell with a casting time of 1 standard action or less. It is not explicit about it, but I interpret that as Range: Touch not any spell that involves touching. Also, full attack channeling discharges a spell with duration longer than 1 round.

Lightning Blade has no range specified but Target: Willing creature touched.
I would say that it is not a touch spell because it isn't Range: Touch. Not necessarily RAW, though. What is RAW is the "willing" bit. The thing you are whacking with your channel is not likely willing.

We're well into "ask your DM territory".

Edit: Wait, are you trying to channel lightning blade thru your weapon or channel another spell thru your lightning blade? My answer above is for the former. For the latter, that is too awesome to not work. But you still better ask your DM.

Inuzuka
2013-10-11, 05:39 AM
After Duskblade 13, take two levels of Wyrm Wizard and nab Harm of the Adept list. Most fun spell to channel.

I can't find the Harm spell on Adept's spell list...

Nightraiderx
2013-10-11, 07:05 AM
I was going to see if I could "channel" the sword and use it on the same turn, but I get what you guys are saying, I would just be giving the enemy a sword, Idk why I didn't think of that. Channeling a shocking grasp through a lightning sword would be all kinds of fun, also the lightning sword has a ranged touch attack, would the shocking grasp spell (or w/e spell) I channeled, would that transfer through the weapon?

Edit: either effect would be fun imo, although the lightning sword would be limited unless I used alot of metamagic to make it worth it. such as repeating or twin metamagic.
I would either have to cast the spell normally or use the swift action cast,
I am thinking of using empower spell/energy substitution(electric)/born of three thunders/and reserves to increase the amount and to have a rider effect of knocking foes to their feet with each blow.