PDA

View Full Version : Black Pudding-esque Template?

unseenmage
2013-10-10, 09:37 AM
Is there a Template that would explicitly allow a character/race to "reproduce" even just by making copies of itself?
Edit: The additional minions do not have to be oozes.

The end goal is to make created minions, be they Construct or Undead be able to multiply.

Darrin
2013-10-10, 10:39 AM
Is there a Template that would explicitly allow a character/race to "reproduce" even just by making copies of itself?

Not that I'm aware of. There's a Gelatinous template in Savage Species, but that creates aberrations, not oozes. The Split (Ex) ability is actually somewhat rare among oozes. I think only the Black Pudding and Ochre Jelly can split into two creatures via damage. Wait, here's another one... Cesspit Ooze in Cityscape. But that's not really an effective way to make more oozes, as the text doesn't really say how they grow into larger oozes. By RAW, I don't think you ever get more HP than the original ooze.

There's a Void Ooze in the Planar Handbook with something called Split (Ex), but that creates two oozes when the Void Ooze uses its energy drain so much that it gets too many HP. In theory, you could "feed" (via summons, bag of tricks, wand of mount, etc.) a Void Ooze until you get a bunch of them, but they'd be difficult to control without some sort of at-will ooze puppet kinda thing.

If you just want minions, consider the Chaos Beast. Standard intelligence, so it can be charmed/dominated.

Another option would be Thrall of Juiblex, which can summon an unlimited number of oozes as a standard action.

unseenmage
2013-10-10, 12:24 PM
Not that I'm aware of. There's a Gelatinous template in Savage Species, but that creates aberrations, not oozes. The Split (Ex) ability is actually somewhat rare among oozes. I think only the Black Pudding and Ochre Jelly can split into two creatures via damage. Wait, here's another one... Cesspit Ooze in Cityscape. But that's not really an effective way to make more oozes, as the text doesn't really say how they grow into larger oozes. By RAW, I don't think you ever get more HP than the original ooze.

There's a Void Ooze in the Planar Handbook with something called Split (Ex), but that creates two oozes when the Void Ooze uses its energy drain so much that it gets too many HP. In theory, you could "feed" (via summons, bag of tricks, wand of mount, etc.) a Void Ooze until you get a bunch of them, but they'd be difficult to control without some sort of at-will ooze puppet kinda thing.

If you just want minions, consider the Chaos Beast. Standard intelligence, so it can be charmed/dominated.

Another option would be Thrall of Juiblex, which can summon an unlimited number of oozes as a standard action.

Less looking for oozes in particular, more looking for generic "reproduction" that would be applicable to created minions.
Will edit OP to reflect.

That said, thank you for such a thorough answer. It is appreciated.