PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Jumping onto a flying Creature

Fosco the Swift
2013-10-10, 10:14 AM
Recently my character, a 6 level Ninja, jumped onto the back of a flying Erinyes. We were in a very large room and were having trouble getting her onto the ground. We tanglefoot bagged her once but she simply teleported out of it. So in desperation I had my Ninja "Acrobatic Master" onto her back, but then I realized I had no idea what this was going to do. Technically we weren't grappling but nor is it easy to fly when you have a wiggling halfling on your back. Is this situation covered anywhere? Threads or in the books? If not, what do you think should have happened? One of my big questions, would I get an AoO if she started flying anywhere since she "moving through" my threatened area?

Keneth
2013-10-10, 11:08 AM
You can't jump on someone's back and grab on without grappling. You should have rolled a grapple check at the end of your jump, or you should have fallen back down on the floor. That's assuming you were able to jump high enough in the first place; A +20 bonus to your high jump is just an extra 5 feet.

After that, assuming you succeed on your check, several things happen. Since you're smaller than the erinyes, the collision doesn't require her to roll a fly check in order not to plummet, so she can stay aloft assuming you're not too heavy for her to carry (unlikely). You do, however, add to her carrying weight regardless. As per the grapple rules, you are actually occupying a space next to her (likely the one above), so nothing special happens because of that.

What would likely happen in the next few rounds is, she takes over the grapple, carries you up a few hundred feet, and drops you on your sorry ass. :smalltongue:

Or more likely she breaks the grapple and you're back to where you started.

MightyPirate
2013-10-10, 11:18 AM
This really sounds like a grapple to me but if it's ruled that it's not keep in mind you can't really enter an opponents space without being much smaller or have a very specific feat. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/monkey-shine-combat)

See the AoO thing doesn't usually come up because whenever your movement is attached to an opponent's movement it's because you're grappling and probably not moving. Even if you do move in a grapple you can't make AoOs so I'd say that should apply to whatever you do.

Fosco the Swift
2013-10-10, 11:44 AM
So basically my character should have been screwed if the Wizard did not have "Feather Fall" prepared? And there was a very big statue in the room that the Ninja "wall climbed" up and then did a long jump to reach the Erinyes.

Psyren
2013-10-10, 11:53 AM
I would automatically consider you grappling, but you would have to make the checks to maintain it - without the +5 bonus for controlling the grapple since you're off-balance and in midair. If the Erinyes gained control, she could drop you or keep holding on and fly higher.

Keneth
2013-10-10, 01:02 PM
I would automatically consider you grappling

How did you come up with that? Even putting RAW aside, I don't see how that makes any sense. Trying to grab on to someone clearly needs to be an attack action, especially in mid-air where you have even less control over the situation without any means of maneuvering. :smallconfused:

Psyren
2013-10-10, 01:07 PM
How did you come up with that? Even putting RAW aside, I don't see how that makes any sense. Trying to grab on to someone clearly needs to be an attack action, especially in mid-air where you have even less control over the situation without any means of maneuvering. :smallconfused:

My mistake, I thought he teleported onto her back, but it looks like he jumped. Disregard I guess.