PDA

View Full Version : [PF + 3rd Party] Monk building

Karoht
2013-10-10, 11:09 AM
Greetings.
I have a friend who is playing in the Reign of Winter campaign with me. He's playing a Monk. The DM has allowed some 3.5 material (though the party is very very cautious and selective of what is being allowed in, so it isn't really relevant) and is allowing some of the 3rd Party Pathfinder stuff.

Party Breakdown
Bard-Me-Weird Words is awesome fun.
Monk-Turok
Sorcerer-Completely new player, doesn't really read spell descriptions most of the time, but otherwise is being pretty helpful.
Summoner-Synthesist with Dimensional Agility/Assault/Dervish/Savant line. Think Demonic Nightcrawler
Oracle-Life Mystery to keep us all healthy. Main source of damage comes from Spiritual Weapon + Toppling Spell.

Truthfully the party is not well optimized, but everyone is contributing meaningfully and having fun, so we are okay in that department. Also, the Sorcerer should start to flourish a lot more in a level, and the Summoner only recently started to get the hang of the class (and the game) and is doing much better now.

Now here's the fun part. Right now, the Monk is probably the most effective party member, with my Bard a close second. If bad things happen, one of us tends to save the day. The Monk decided to buy some of the class books (Genius Guide to the Effective Monk and it's sequel) and man, do some of those feats really go a long way in making a Monk more flexible and effective. I am not saying "3rd Party fixes Monks" but they certainly are making an impact. Heck, the (Monk Talent?) Scroll Fu? That's just all kinds of fun.

Does anyone have any experience with any other Paizo 3rd party stuff? Preferably more specific to Monks, but if there are any books you can recommend (and maybe a way to look through them on Pathfindersrd.com) I'm all ears. I don't wanna push the Sorceress into too much reading (because she'll either be intimidated by it, or it will confuse her more), but the Oracle player is pretty receptive to new ideas and tactical considerations. As for my Bard? I am keeping a feat open in my build for Dragonsfire Inspiration should the need arise, but I think we'll be fine without it.

Psyren
2013-10-10, 11:51 AM
I like mixing the monk with other systems. DSP has the Psychic Fist (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/psionic-prestige-classes/psychic-fist), which gives you some psionic power while also progressing your monk abilities - If you multiclass Psywar you'll have a decent ML while capturing that monk feel. You could also just port in Tashalatora from 3.5. And don't forget the Psionic Monk (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/psionic-options/monk/enlightened-monk) archetype as well.

Radiance House has a Monk-Binder archetype called the Empyrean Friar (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/monk/archetypes/radiance-house---monk-archetypes/empyrean-friar) that uses Wis to form pacts. They get full binder progression (but like the other binder archetypes, can only pact with one vestige at a time) which grants you a large toolbox to choose from.

Chystraim
2013-11-12, 05:01 AM
I happen to be the player for that Monk, and I am trying to stay away from 3.5 as much as I can. Currently the build I have is pretty horrifying, but I am in the process of trying to strip as much of the 3.5 out of it as possible (1 feat, 1 template, some rules for some skills like Intimidate alternate use in the Tomb of Battle). The 3rd party books Piazo has released for Monks is almost game breaking, and I can say that monks are Teir 3 now, potentially Teir 2 if you spend a great deal of time working on your build using only PF material :D

Gnomes2169
2013-11-12, 05:09 AM
I happen to be the player for that Monk, and I am trying to stay away from 3.5 as much as I can. Currently the build I have is pretty horrifying, but I am in the process of trying to strip as much of the 3.5 out of it as possible (1 feat, 1 template, some rules for some skills like Intimidate alternate use in the Tomb of Battle). The 3rd party books Piazo has released for Monks is almost game breaking, and I can say that monks are Teir 3 now, potentially Teir 2 if you spend a great deal of time working on your build using only PF material :D

Gonna call BS on this and say the monk you're building, when properly scroll-fu'd, is at least high tier 2, and in any other setting could easily reach tier 1. Especially since you'll be immune to dysjunction soon. :smalltongue:

Chystraim
2013-11-12, 05:14 AM
Due to the limitation of needing scrolls, at max it can be a Teir 2. Don't believe unless some crazy ass power-up happens in some supplimental books, that I'd be able to get it to Tier 1. Very happy with being able as a Monk to create my own demi-plane, cast permenancy, and all the other silliness that a wizard can do, I just have to pay a lot of gold to do it (or get my hands on a cohort who can become a scroll crafter for me).

Gnomes2169
2013-11-12, 05:24 AM
Due to the limitation of needing scrolls, at max it can be a Teir 2. Don't believe unless some crazy ass power-up happens in some supplimental books, that I'd be able to get it to Tier 1. Very happy with being able as a Monk to create my own demi-plane, cast permenancy, and all the other silliness that a wizard can do, I just have to pay a lot of gold to do it (or get my hands on a cohort who can become a scroll crafter for me).

As I said, any other setting you would be pushing the top of tier 2 with your wonderful scroll fu. But your current campaign hates you and doesn't want to give you gold/ real caster resources, so... my suggestion to you? Get a cohort with that one extra feat I think you have, make him a proper helper minion and then after specing him to scribe the scrolls you want/ need work in a different setting. You just will not get money in your current one to support the ultimate scroll-fu monk (which can totally happen off of normal WBL, really. Monks need almost no items usually (in PF), so you have a decent pool of cash to spend on scrolls and the like). But yes, right now a scroll scribing cohort will just tip the balance that much farther in your balance.

Karoht
2013-11-12, 10:59 AM
Scroll-Fu is awesome. The action economy it affords is quite a help. Magus wishes it had Scroll-Fu. Magus with a Monk dip for Scroll-Fu almost sounds fun. Almost.