PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for a party buffer PC?

Atypical_Necro
2013-10-10, 11:40 AM
Though this won't come up for a long while yet, as we're in the middle of a campaign, I've decided that I want the next character I play to be a party buff spellcaster. I'm looking for suggestions and have been doing some research of my own.

My questions:
-Would a divine caster or an arcane caster fit the bill better? Are they equal? I have no preference either way.
-If so, what spells do you consider the prime examples of a party booster, worthy of my spell slots/spells known?
-What feats would you suggest?
-Are there any prestige classes that fit the bill?

I was looking at the War Weaver from Heroes of Battle. It seems useful to be able to affect multiple allies with single target spells, but is it worth the investment? I have to stay in range for it, which for touch range spells is kind of iffy. Has anyone played around with this class before?

Generally speaking those who DM our campaigns (myself included) are open to material from any book. We don't have access to Dragon material. Our group ranges from low to mid optimization (I pretty much help two of our players make at least semi-effective characters). We generally end our campaigns around level 15.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

fishyfishyfishy
2013-10-10, 11:45 AM
I prefer a dragonfire inspiration bard that picks up buff spells like haste, heroism, and maybe a sprinkle of healing. Between your different bardic music abilities and spells you will always have something useful to add to a combat encounter, and you shine in social ones. The extra whipped cream on top (for me) is that you won't outperform any other players unless you try.

Doc_Maynot
2013-10-10, 11:46 AM
Either way, as long as you are good aligned, sanctified spells (BoED) have some nice buffs.

Dusk Eclipse
2013-10-10, 11:51 AM
I prefer a dragonfire inspiration bard that picks up buff spells like haste, heroism, and maybe a sprinkle of healing. Between your different bardic music abilities and spells you will always have something useful to add to a combat encounter, and you shine in social ones. The extra whipped cream on top (for me) is that you won't outperform any other players unless you try.

Add in Sublime Chord for higher level buffing slots.

Zanos
2013-10-10, 11:51 AM
War weaver is amazing for this. The capstone removes the touch range issue, but your party probably moves pretty close together until the encounter starts. When it does, you hit everyone with, say, greater invisiblity, fly, and whatever else you feel like. Up to four buffs at the start of an encounter with a move action, that affect the entire party. Party wide buffing does not get better.

I need to lookup some spells to use with it though. Invisible flying death squad is a start.

Norin
2013-10-10, 11:56 AM
We have a transmuter/war weaver in our group now and its amazing.
Check out the handbook (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=1473) for inspiration and profit.

Atypical_Necro
2013-10-10, 12:30 PM
Thanks everyone for your input so far!

I was considering bard, actually, and the suggestions along that route are good.

I'm glad to hear that my instincts concerning the war weaver were more or less accurate. :smallbiggrin: I'll make good use of the handbook!

Fax Celestis
2013-10-10, 01:21 PM
You could see if you could play my warlord (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99522), bard (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=218251), or revised paladin (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=181496) classes.

Brookshw
2013-10-10, 01:49 PM
War weaver is amazing for this. The capstone removes the touch range issue, but your party probably moves pretty close together until the encounter starts. When it does, you hit everyone with, say, greater invisiblity, fly, and whatever else you feel like. Up to four buffs at the start of an encounter with a move action, that affect the entire party. Party wide buffing does not get better.

I need to lookup some spells to use with it though. Invisible flying death squad is a start.

Fantastic option right there. The wizard in my group buffs the crap out of the party, really helpful.

Sith_Happens
2013-10-10, 02:09 PM
I was looking at the War Weaver from Heroes of Battle. It seems useful to be able to affect multiple allies with single target spells, but is it worth the investment? I have to stay in range for it, which for touch range spells is kind of iffy. Has anyone played around with this class before?

RAW-solid workaround: Spectral Hand.

Iffier/ask-your-DM workaround: "Deliver Touch Spells" familiar ability.

Atypical_Necro
2013-10-11, 12:13 AM
RAW-solid workaround: Spectral Hand.

Forgot about this lovely spell! You'd think I would've thought of it, seeing how often I used it with my necromancer. Thanks for the reminder!

Umbranar
2013-10-11, 02:25 AM
I enjoyed playing my Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil in this role. Spells to buff the party and veils to just say "no" to pretty much everything coming your way.