PDA

View Full Version : PF Words of Power Question

TabletopGamer
2013-10-10, 05:04 PM
Have they released any further work that would allow them to use Utility spells or spells they could not originally replicate something like Spiderwalk, Water Walk, Etc or even spells that can create Demiplanes or whatever?

I was considering making a class that was a rework of the Truenamer but Words of Power seem very much a good fit, if they had further work with them.

Could a Spell to Power Erudite use Words of Power? I mean he doesn't know spells exactly but it might convert those into Wordpowers not Wordspells and allow him to craft 'powers' on the spot.

I am very curious because I do love the Truenamer flavor and the words of power system seem like a good fit.

I mean maybe a class like the Warlock 3.5 that has At-Will Invocations for Utility spells added onto a Wizard or Sorcerer who is using the words of Power system.

What I would love is a caster who uses words to inflict spells (No verbal components) that can blast, be used for utility, summoning, etc. Where the poor guy who is dressed down and is not even a proper spellcaster but just knows how to speak the words of creations to various effects. I wouldn't mind the UP/D system of the Erudite but make it Unique Words Per Day but cast spontaneously but once a word has been used its locked in.

Keneth
2013-10-10, 05:20 PM
No new material has been released. Even though words of power were a popular concept, they simply didn't make up for the lack of versatility, so they never expanded on the system, and I don't think they have any intention to do so.

TabletopGamer
2013-10-10, 05:31 PM
I thought that was the whole idea was it was versatility but not on the utility and the like. I mean Spellslingers being able to convert most spells into Ray or something to use their spells it would work great.

Disappointed won't lie. I love the fluff of the Truenamer and the Words of Power they have so much potential.

Also I think there was an issue with the Words of Power with their Meta words being unclear, the idea it jumps the level by 3 when it should have been the restricted level so a lvl 3 Meta Word should and possibly does mean lvl 3 is their Minimum level requirement and makes lvl 1 spells used with this Meta Word makes it a lvl 3rd spell while if you did the lvl 1 and another lvl 1 words to make it a lvl 3 then the Meta Word has no effect.

TabletopGamer
2013-10-10, 08:25 PM
I am using a new post because this is a new Idea I do not want getting lost in my last post and to get people to see the post who have seen it before.

I was wondering if two broken mechanics combined might be worth something.

A Truenamer who uses Words of Power.
Using a Sorcerers spell lists with words of power (The only ones with any use it seems) Spells Known and the like but nothing else from a Sorcerer.

This would give you flexibility to either side, your not stuck with just the utterances and you can potentially craft spells by using your words (make it a more flavorful feel to magic casting) on the fly.

I have Kyeudo PDF file for Truenamer and it has Whispers as Spell Like Abilities that require a DC check to use. I could see those working as well. Maybe using Invocations as whispers and increasing the DC the higher the Invocation/Whisper is.

Either system might be fun and might give the Truenamer a worthwhile power to it.

I was also thinking that the Rules shouldn't be too hard with the way Kyeudo has the system being a 15+Utterancex2+CR rather then the 15+Crx2 and that is for the Evolving Mind Lexicon. So the rules shouldn't kill me since Utterances only go to 6 at max making the maximum possible check 15+12+20 making the Truespell check of a 6th Level Utterance against a CR20 monster a 47 rather then a 55 which is slightly better and of course if you use a lower level Utterance it reduces it to 15+2+20 = 37 being the lowest check required against a CR20 monster. Both Manageable by level 20 or even 16.

Now would all this make the class too OP for either a D&D 3.5 or a PF game? What Tier would this combo be rated as?