PDA

View Full Version : Miscellaneous sources of damage

Aliek
2013-10-10, 05:13 PM
This topic is meant to list significant-ish sources of damage, which aren't the old "Strength(or whatever attribute, really)", "Power attack" or "Size Increases". While not optimal, I feel they can be useful, especially if playing in a low-op party or something.

As a neophyte to the art of book diving, I can only cite a couple sources for now, mostly well known ones, but it might help set the tone. I aim for mostly passive boosts, but temporary buffs can be of use too.

Craven feat: Ye olde rogue's favorite(Not really, that goes to darkstalker). At +1 damage per HD, this helps anyone with sneak attack to contribute, especially with many attacks. Only downside is it only applies on those same sneak attacks, and you can't be immune to fear. That last one sucks, really.

Collision Weapon Enchantment: +5 damage for a +2 enhancement? Not quite as efficient, but it can't be reduced by elemental resists/immunities, and helps breaking DR if anything. Most alternatives on weapon enchs. aren't that hot too.

Knowledge Devotion: This feat just had to make this list. Up to +5 Damage/to-hit helps quite a bit. Not much else to say, other than 'you have to spend some skill points'.

And with that lackluster list, I've finished the first post.

John Longarrow
2013-10-10, 06:31 PM
For your list:

Shadow Blade (Feat) From ToB. Gives Dex to Damage when in a Shadowhand stance.

I'd also cite the source, just to make it easy to find the original.

holywhippet
2013-10-10, 06:51 PM
Foe: class ability for Archivist from Heroes of Horror. Gives a 1d6 - 3d6 bonus to weapon damage rolls against an enemy depending on the total for a knowledge check. Only works on certain monster types.

Chronos
2013-10-10, 07:00 PM
Iaijutsu Focus. You have to invest in it, and it's even more situational than Sneak Attack or Sudden Strike, but it works on absolutely anything, and with enough investment it can be more damage than Sneak Attack. Gets absolutely amazing with the Iaijutsu Master prestige class, which lets you add your Cha mod per die.

Greater Magic Weapon/Greater Magic Fang. If you're going to mention Collision, this should go in, too.

TuggyNE
2013-10-10, 09:01 PM
Collision Weapon Enchantment: +5 damage for a +2 enhancement? Not quite as efficient, but it can't be reduced by elemental resists/immunities, and helps breaking DR if anything.

It's also multiplied on crits, which can make it actually better than the regular +1d6 damage enhancements.

ArcturusV
2013-10-10, 09:08 PM
Fleshgrinding Enchantment (BoVD).

An "odd" source of Extra Damage, but still should count. Delayed slightly, but hell, still extra damage.

Add in Sadism (The character trait) and the Spell from the same book. Long as you keep smackin' people, bonuses. Good if you ever find yourself in marathon fights.

(Un)Inspired
2013-10-10, 09:30 PM
Gauntlets of Heartfelt Blows Item: adds you charisma as fire damage to melee attack. the fact its fire damage is kinda a bummer but if your a hexblade or paladin it can really help you mess up those few enemies that aren't immune.

Offensive Prescience Psion power: it adds a +2 insight bonus to your damage but if you augment it it can scale up to like +10. Not the best use of power points in the universe but not the worst choice of powers for a psi gish.