PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Help With A Human Bladebound Kensei

Tokuhara
2013-10-10, 07:25 PM
Well, my GM vetoed my Mog Knight, so onward to Plan B!

So I recently updated the Pathfinder Docs app on my Kindle and reread Magus and had this loop in my head on the lore of the Redguards of Hammerfell (ShoddyCast's video). So the concept began to form of a "Redguard" who developed a fighting style that combined their trademark scimitars with destruction magic. However, I haven't a clue how to fully realize this dream.

So how can I make the Redguard Spellblade work?

Elricaltovilla
2013-10-10, 10:57 PM
Bladebound Kensai Magus benefits exceptionally well from dervish dance. In my opinion its the best archetype combo for a dex based magus

Grab weapon finesse and dervish dance, max your dex and intelligence. If you can get 13 str grab power attack, otherwise don't worry about it. Focus on crit fishing and remember that you can spam arcane mark to spell strike all day long.

Tokuhara
2013-10-10, 11:56 PM
Bladebound Kensai Magus benefits exceptionally well from dervish dance. In my opinion its the best archetype combo for a dex based magus

Grab weapon finesse and dervish dance, max your dex and intelligence. If you can get 13 str grab power attack, otherwise don't worry about it. Focus on crit fishing and remember that you can spam arcane mark to spell strike all day long.

I was thinking this'd work as a Dervish Dancer, plus the fluff is there. Wasn't planning on using PA, since my Str is abysmal

So you're suggesting lots of the Crit feats?

TiaC
2013-10-11, 12:14 AM
I was thinking this'd work as a Dervish Dancer, plus the fluff is there. Wasn't planning on using PA, since my Str is abysmal

So you're suggesting lots of the Crit feats?

Most of the crit feats aren't great, extra damage doesn't matter when most of your damage is from spells, even a kensai gets more damage from spells. Increased crit range/confirmation is still good though. As a kensai, you don't have spell recall or all that many spells. Because of this, I recommend multi-touch spells like Frostbite. A magical linaged empowered frostbite at CL 6 is +14 damage to six attacks out of a 2nd level slot. What level are you starting at?

Psyren
2013-10-11, 12:19 AM
Be aware that the DM controls your Blade, especially if it wins Ego contests.

Tokuhara
2013-10-11, 01:08 PM
Most of the crit feats aren't great, extra damage doesn't matter when most of your damage is from spells, even a kensai gets more damage from spells. Increased crit range/confirmation is still good though. As a kensai, you don't have spell recall or all that many spells. Because of this, I recommend multi-touch spells like Frostbite. A magical linaged empowered frostbite at CL 6 is +14 damage to six attacks out of a 2nd level slot. What level are you starting at?

I'm starting at level 1 with a Barbarian, A Cleric, and a Ninja

Zubrowka74
2013-10-11, 01:29 PM

From what I understand, Spellstriking a multi-touch spell only gives you one attack.

BWR
2013-10-11, 02:08 PM
You might ask your DM if he allows Pirahna Strike (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/piranha-strike-combat) - basically Power Attack from Dexterity instead of Strength.

Better feats than PA or PS are things like Spell Penetration and Greater Spell Penetration. Most of your damage will come from spells channeled through the sword and you want to make sure those spells go off reliably. Even more than your typical wizard, a magus relies on his magic directly affecting the target.
Intensified Spell is another no brainer, used to pump those Shocking Grasps and Corrosive Touches. Fortunately, you don't need to pick it up before 7th level.

Psyren
2013-10-11, 02:20 PM
You might ask your DM if he allows Pirahna Strike (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/piranha-strike-combat) - basically Power Attack from Dexterity instead of Strength.

It looks like he wants to use a Scimitar, which sadly won't work with PS.

Daftendirekt
2013-10-11, 02:24 PM
It looks like he wants to use a Scimitar, which sadly won't work with PS.

RAW, no, but common sense says it should. Ask DM anyway.

TiaC
2013-10-11, 03:17 PM
From what I understand, Spellstriking a multi-touch spell only gives you one attack.

True, but when you're low on spell slots, having a spell that gives you damage all combat is great.

NightbringerGGZ
2013-10-11, 04:22 PM
True, but when you're low on spell slots, having a spell that gives you damage all combat is great.

It gives you one attack per round. You can get multiple rounds of action out of it.

As for the spell recall weakness, work around it by buying Pearls of Power. Level 1 and Level 2 spells will be your bread and butter, especially if you use the Magical Lineage + Shocking Grasp Trick. Prep an Intensified Shocking Grasp once, buy 5 Pearls of power and you can cast it 6 times a day. =)

Tokuhara
2013-10-11, 05:33 PM
I've noticed that my early game's going to be unpleasant (low AC, Low HP, Melee-Oriented), but late-game, I'll outshine the Dwarf Barbarian (who's technique will not advance beyond Power Attack)

Daftendirekt
2013-10-11, 06:35 PM
Eh, Dex Magus is a lot better off early-game than Str Magus. Str Magus will actually use the med/heavy armor proficiencies magus gets later on, and will therefore not have a great dex (and concordantly a great AC at low levels). I know this from experience.

Tokuhara
2013-10-12, 02:47 PM
So Dex Magus > Str Magus?

Daftendirekt
2013-10-12, 03:08 PM
Honestly, yes, most of the time. A Magus' damage is going to be coming from spells, mostly, so a high Str isn't that important. Dex gives you AC and init as well, so it aids in more things than Str does.

Tokuhara
2013-10-12, 03:15 PM
Honestly, yes, most of the time. A Magus' damage is going to be coming from spells, mostly, so a high Str isn't that important. Dex gives you AC and init as well, so it aids in more things than Str does.

Now I'm assuming a 2-Handed Magus using a Scythe will benefit more as an Str build, but the Dex "SAD" build is far more efficient?

And with this Redguard Spellsword, aside from what was mentioned above, what other Feats/Traits/Gear/etc. should I get?