PDA

View Full Version : Attune Focus (new 3.5 spell for material component rework, PEACH)

TuggyNE
2013-10-10, 07:59 PM
So, I just had a flash of inspiration for my school focus project: a spell that lets you attune your foci for easier retrieval in emergencies. As a bonus, I can list it as a prereq for something that currently lacks it. :smallamused:

Attune Focus
Conjuration (Teleportation)
Level: Sor/Wiz 6
Components: V, S, XP
Casting Time: 1 minute
Range: Touch
Target: School focus or focus staff touched
Duration: Permanent
Saving Throw: None (object)
Spell Resistance: No (object)

You attune the touched focus to yourself, imbuing it with the ability to transport itself to you over any distance and even across planes. Activating this ability takes only a thought, and the spell is not discharged by doing so, but the time required to concentrate on this varies with its current distance from you, as follows.

DistanceActionProvokes AoOs
10 ft. or lessSwiftNo
10 - 100 ft.MoveNo
100 ft. - 1 mileStandardYes
More than 1 mile (same plane)Full-roundYes
Different plane1 minuteYes

In addition, the concentration required is unusually intense; any Concentration checks you must make during this time take a -4 circumstance penalty.

If another character somehow retains your focus despite your efforts to call it back or without your knowledge, they may use its deep connection to you for spellcasting or similar as though it were a physical body part of yours. This affects your save against scrying attempts, allows a clone to be made, and so forth; however, if you die or are destroyed while attuned, it is never considered to have been part of your body at death, and the attunement is then dispelled. Additionally, if the focus is destroyed or the attunement dispelled by an enemy you take 6d6 points of damage as the bond snaps. Attune focus grants no special awareness of your attuned focus's location or condition.

A given focus cannot be attuned to more than one character at a time; the attunement must be dispelled first.

XP Cost:
500 XP.

Thoughts on balance and general effects? If and when I get this settled, I'll list it in School Foci, and then the world will be happy. Or something.

More tweaking to bond-snap backlash.
A bit of clarification that yes this is reusable, and a further potential downside if you're sloppy with it.
Spell level.
Posted

TuggyNE
2013-12-31, 12:05 AM
I think this is probably ready for prime time. There's now a smallish HP link, so you really don't want your foci to be smashed while attuned.

unbeliever536
2013-12-31, 01:55 AM
Can two wizards attune to one focus? If there's a conflict, who wins? Rather than specifiying "If the focus is destroyed..." You should probably say "If the bond breaks..." and then note that destroying the focus breaks the bond. More general that way.

TuggyNE
2013-12-31, 03:08 AM
Can two wizards attune to one focus? If there's a conflict, who wins? Rather than specifiying "If the focus is destroyed..." You should probably say "If the bond breaks..." and then note that destroying the focus breaks the bond. More general that way.

I'm not sure dispelling should necessarily have that effect, but possibly hostile dispelling should.

Anyway, changed to account for those considerations.