PDA

View Full Version : Bones' Rise of the Runelords IC 1: What A Lovely Day For Some Swallowtails

MandibleBones
2013-10-10, 08:03 PM
For five years, the faithful of Sandpoint have attended church in temporary structures erected after fire destroyed the previous temple, and while their new religious leader was helpful, kind, and wise, church wasn't the same. Now, the new cathedral is finally done. All that remains is for the Swallowtail Festival to renew the site's blessings from teh gods and it will be as if the Sandpoint Fire had never occured.

Welcome to a small, coastal town where the food is good, the people accept that there are many religions and each are equally valid paths to Desna, and where we can all put the Late Unpleasantness behind us if we just close our eyes hard enough. Welcome to Sandpoint.

"Welcome, welcome all, to the Swallowtail Festival!" blusters an older gentleman who is probably the mayor. "I'm glad to see so many friends and residents here. Looks like even Larz managed to tear himself away from work!" General laughter, except from a dour-faced man who looks as if he'd rather be at work.

The mayor then introduces Sheriff Belor Hemlock, who reminds you all to be safe, especially around the bonfire that evening. "And please join me for a moment of silence for Father Tobyn and Nualia, who perished tragically in the fire we all remember."

The crowd's mood is somber for a few moments, then another man replaces the sheriff and starts a long-winded, theatrical recitation of the family's history. Frankly, despite it being rather amusing, you just can't follow all the local references.

But that food sure smells good.

Tris
2013-10-10, 09:15 PM
The stories the man tells are interesting, but Tanar mind begins to wander. After a while, he feels his stomach growling. He asks the person next to him, "Excuse me. Which food booths do you recommend I try?"

ProudGrognard
2013-10-11, 01:01 AM
Velisarius

Velisarius is in his element. Simple people, working people, enjoying a well deserved rest as they celebrate their gods. He has been out and about around the temple since yesterday, adding his prayers in respectful silence. But today, he mills around, seeing the sights, the booths, the town. He has made it a point to discover the best cheese, meat and sweets in Sandpoint.

Strangely, and despite the smile in his face and his easy booming laughter, Velisarius is dressed in his chainmail. His eyes barely show it, but his heart is heavy.

My Lord, shield us under your wings. Why have you put this weight in my heart? What am I to do here? I will obey and lead my Lord, as you command. But what could happen in such a joyous occasion?

dancrilis
2013-10-11, 03:33 AM
Anafa

She had came here for this festival it was likely a once of thing that she would have regretted missing - and indeed she was glad to be here.

Moving from stall to stall paying special attention to where they were serving free food - she made sure to have her fill.

She did wonder if she should join in with some performances of her own - but humans could be difficult about other races so she decided against it until she knew the people better.

Stopping at one stall she threw on a big grin, "how long will the festivities last?".

Bhaakon
2013-10-12, 06:02 AM
Perhaps I've miscalculated, the young tengu mutters to himself as he bounce between stalls. "No, thank you, I'm not interested in a finely stitched faux Tianjing shawl...Yes, I'm sure....Because I've seen real ones heaped on caravans fresh from the crown of the world, madam, and--like all sighted peoples--the Tianjing consider pairing orange with green an abomination."

"Um, no, I think I'll pass on that...er, whatever that creature is...No, I doubt there's enough spices in this entire town to make that edible."

"Er, no thank you sir, it's a it early in the day for hard liquor...Usually after sundown, sir...Yes, I realize that it's technically after last night's sundown, just not quite long enough after.

All in all, it's a very frustrating experience. Everyone is trying to sell something, or drink something, or both at the same time. Rook's hopes for turning conversations towards topics more learned and obscure is quickly fading. He's strongly beginning to suspect that the barbarous locals have no interest at all in their own history.

MandibleBones
2013-10-14, 10:50 AM
"Well, lunch is free anywhere today," a crusty old fisherman tells Tanar, "and there's those that swear by the Hagfish's lobster chowder. Myself, I prefer the venison over at the White Deer — the peppercorns they use warm my old heart. But…" and here, he leans over, conspiratorially, "If you want something really fine, head down to the Rusty Dragon. It may not seem like much, but young Ameiko's salmon is the best in Varasia. Mead's not bad either."

If Tanar was looking for a sign, this might be it: with the noon hour overhead, a priestly looking fellow standing next to a large covered wagon finishes his parable — something about hope and Butterflies; he looks like a Desna-botherer — and releases a storm of one thousand beautiful swallowtail butterflies. They swarm into the air in a brilliant rainbow, and the crowd cheers.

As Velisarius prays, one of the swallowtails lands on his shoulder. Though he is not of the Desnan faith, this particular butterfly seems drawn to him. Like a parrot on a pirate's shoulder, it stares over the crowd. The message is clear: even in beauty, maintain vigilance.

If it needed further reinforcement, the children of the town spend the rest of the day chasing the butterflies, never quite catching them, while the adults amuse themselves with carnival games and feats of strength, ignorant of the message. The old Desnan priest shakes his head, watching.

Anafa is pleased to find that all the food is free today, and promptly stuffs herself. "'Til sundown," a child answers, briefly pausing from chasing a butterfly. "That's when they'll dedicate the church."

Though most of the town's offerings are clearly peasant fare, hardly worthy of the tastes of such a refined world traveller as the tengu called Rook, the curry-spiced salmon and early winter drop mead at the Rusty Dragon speak of culinary experience not gained in this seaside town. Whomever this Ameiko Kaijitsu is, well, she can certainly cook.

ProudGrognard
2013-10-14, 03:28 PM
Velisarius

Velisarius looks at the butterfly and once again becomes solemn.

Strange messenger, you are. But beautiful. I hear, oh godess. I follow the General of the Celestial Armies. I will become your sword, if you need me.

Sitting down on a barrel, somewhere with a view, he finishes his lunch, seeing the people enjoying themsleves. If only he could join.

dancrilis
2013-10-14, 04:50 PM
Anafa

This was her kind of party - deciding to cut loose she decided to move onto the wine, assuming they would serve her - if that was free as well she was laughing.

She also began to sing as dance as she moved just for her own enjoyment - the song was nonsensical made up on the fly, and the dance was less formalised and more weaving through crowds while tapping butterflies as she did.

It was nice to be in a peaceful happy community - her day might like it here.

With that thought she looked around to see if there was any hidden foulness that she was overlooking.

Performance Dance: [roll0]
Performance Song: [roll1]
Both likely unimportant but used in case there are any roleplay opportunities.

Perception: [roll2]

Tris
2013-10-14, 06:47 PM
Tanar

"Thank you very much." Terdan smiles and nods his head at the old man. "I will try your recommendation."

As Terdan scurries towards the Rusty Dragon, he notices the butterflies fluttering through the air. "Spectacular!" he exclaims. He has always appreciated beautiful things.

Once in the Rusty Dragon, Terdan requests some food and a drink. "I've heard this place serves excellent salmon."

Bhaakon
2013-10-16, 07:24 PM
Rook

Rook barely restrains the uncouth urge to lick his talons after enjoying the delightfully subtle use of curry to flavor the perfectly cooked salmon. Even the few chefs of the dragon empire who braved the crown of the world to settle in Karlsgard were rarely so deft with their native spices.

Kaijutsu, He thinks to himself as he nurses his flagon, A Minkaian setting up shop in a Varisian backwater, how odd.

He peers around the Rusty Dragon as he sips the mead, taking in the many trophies lining the walls of the popular watering hole. Perhaps I should set up shop here, and let the gossip come to me. At least in here the people aren't coming to shop.

His course decided, Rook settles in for a long afternoon of soaking up rumors. And if that means continuing to consume delicious plates of salmon and cups of mead to keep his seat, well, sacrifices have to be made.

MandibleBones
2013-10-16, 09:06 PM
"Indeed we do," a woman with obvious Tian ancestry answers Tanar. She's balancing two plates of the spicy fish on one hand with the skill of an acrobat, and shakes the sorcerer's hand with the other. "Ameiko Kaijitsu," she introduces herself. Oddly, she doesn't look quite at home wearing a chef's clothes... something in the way she carries herself makes Tanar think she's used to wearing armor and weapons instead.

"Have a seat over by that guy, and I'll send Bethana out with a plate for you," Ameiko adds, pointing at the only table with empty seats in it — probably because the other patrons are giving the rather contemplative Tengu sitting at it as much room as they can.

Rook can hear the gossip quite well from this quiet spot, as he watches Tanar and Ameiko introduce themselves to each other. It seems there's some knowing eye-rolling at Ameiko's father, a grumpy man by the name of Lonjiku Kaijitsu, who owns the Sandpoint Glassworks. Seems he was supposed to give one of the opening speeches today, but bowed out due to sudden illness. They say it's not a surprise; they say he's so grumpy, the only festival he'd attend is one they paid him for. They say none of this within Ameiko's hearing.

Deep in his cups, one patron mutters that the fire during the Late Unpleasantness — and Rook can hear the capital letters in that moniker — was no accident, that old Father Tobyn was murdered. The others at his table shut him up quickly, changing the subject to happier things, like the dedication of the new church that evening. The table breaks out in a raucous hymn to Cayden Caylien, somehow enhanced by the fact that all of them are at least three drinks in.

Outdoors, Anafa sees nothing terribly out of the ordinary for such a festival. What she does notice is people noticing her — her dancing and cavorting are drawing attention, and most of it appears to be good. A few brief questions — "What is her name? Where is she from?" — pepper throughout, though only the children who follow along like she's the Next Big Thing actually talk to her.

Velisarius, on his barrel, has an excellent view of the town square outside the church, and the podium where, in just a few hours, Father Zantus will recite the Prayer of First Dreaming. For the moment, everything seems rather peaceful, but the swallowtail on his shoulder reminds him it won't last.

Tris
2013-10-17, 12:04 AM
Tanar

"Thank you."

As Tanar walks over to the table, he sniffs the air taking in the pleasant aroma. I hope the food here is as good as it smells. After taking a seat next to the tengu, he decides to strike up a conversation.

"You look like you're a traveler like me. Are you here for the festival?"

Bhaakon
2013-10-17, 01:35 AM
Between the three pints of mead, the warm atmosphere, and trying to quietly eavesdrop, Rook has fallen into something of a reverie. Certainly not a nap. No, not that.

He jumps slightly, his lolling beak snapping shut, as the azure-eyed half elf addressed him directly. "Hmm...er," Rook tilts his head jerkily in typical tengu fashion. It's an unfortunately avian affect that he's worked hard to discard, but it's useful now to shake off the cobwebs without being obvious about it.

"Travel...yes. Quite a ways. Karlsgard, in fact, by way of Magnimar." He hopes the half elf will refrain from interrupting with a 'classic joke' about tired arms. Rook wasn't sure if he could bite his tongue after indulging in so many tankards.

"I thought I was here for the festival, but it seems that the underlying themes of revelry and mercantile exchange run at cross purposes to my goals. That is to say, I'd hoped to find some people who shared my interests in matters ancient and arcane among the gathered masses, but I fear that no one has much time for anything but barter or boozing." He punctuates his point with a deep quaff of mead.

"I don't suppose, good sir, that you are privy to some small fraction of the potent and myriad secrets of ancient Thassilon? Or know of someone who might be?"

dancrilis
2013-10-17, 07:37 AM
Anafa

Happy that her actions were taken in good cheer and that she saw nothing amiss she turned to the children, "so who's who, and what do you do?" she rhymed with a smile.

Tris
2013-10-19, 03:55 AM
"I try to learn what I can, but there are so many questions that nobody knows the answers to. Will you be traveling near Mierani Forest? I know someone in that area who might be able to assist you."

Bhaakon
2013-10-19, 04:30 PM
"I will travel where the leads take me," Rook answers. He puts down his half-full flagon and turns his full attention to the half elf. "I'd be most interested to hear of this scholar. I hope he'll be more willing to talk than some of the tight-lipped recluses I met in Magnimar. The learned can be as covetous and petty as children."

Tris
2013-10-19, 06:20 PM
"I had a teacher who has studied Thassilon for many years. He might help you if you tell him that you've come on my recommendation. I'll write a note." Tanar says excitedly. "Of course you'll want to know where he lives. You can find Ekdar Tormal in the town Crying Leaf on the edge of the forest. That's where I was raised."

MandibleBones
2013-10-19, 10:52 PM
The kids just kind of laugh and dance away from Anafa without answering - they give names, but they seem to be all giggles today, like many in the square, simply enjoying the day before the solemn dedication at sunset.

As the sun begins to set, painting the western sky brilliant colors, the sharp crack of a thunderstone echoes through the crowd. It's enough to draw Anafa and Velisarius' attention to the stage from whence it game, and to bring Rook, Tanar, and others from the tavern to the square. Even a stray dog, which crawled under a nearby wagon to sleep, wakes at the sound with a bark.

Father Zantus, the new priest, takes the stage to recite the Prayer of First Dreaming, a litany to Desna so old and famous it makes the mountains to the east seem young. He clears his throat and opens his mouth...

And a woman's scream slices through the air, followed by another scream, and another. High-pitched, chittering voices raise a cacophanic counterpoint. They do not sound human.

The crowd parts, fleeing the square, as something Anafa's height or so runs by, giggling in a violent echo of the earlier children. The stray dog gives a pained yelp and collapses with a gurgle, its throat cut open from ear to ear. Blood pools, and a strange song begins, chanted by the vicious voices.

Goblins chew and goblins bite.
Goblins cut and goblins fight.
Stab the dog and cut the horse,
Goblins eat and take by force!

Goblins race and goblins jump.
Goblins slash and goblins bump.
Burn the skin and mash the head,
Goblins here and you be dead!

Chase the baby, catch the pup.
Bonk the head to shut it up.
Bones be cracked, flesh be stewed,
WE BE GOBLINS! YOU BE FOOD!
Despite not understanding the words (or worse, understanding the words), the song is actually quite catchy. Of course, any enjoyment is ruined by the site of three goblins staring at the four of you and licking their razor-sharp junk-blades.

http://i.imgur.com/hNZ2sK5.jpg

Initiative
Rook: 20
Anafa: 19
Tanar: 12
Velisarius: 11
Goblins: 10

You can post actions in any order; they will resolve in initiative order. There will be no surprise round.

Bhaakon
2013-10-20, 12:14 AM
Rook gratefully accepts Tanar's offer of an introduction, though he does his best to hide just how excited he is. Try not to come off like a weirdo, Rook. Not like that time with Master Yun in the Jade Quarter. He shudders noticeably at the embarrassing memory, but the crack of the thunderstone spares him from having to explain.

Despite himself, Rook finds the Father Zantus's introductory prayer rather moving. Or maybe it's buzz from the Rusty Dragon's mead. He's trying to decide when the days events take an unexpectedly turn towards chaos and off-key chanting.

"Huh. You don't see that every day." He murmurs to Tanar as his sword training and instincts take over. Or maybe it's the mead again. Either way, he's yanked his sword free and begun sprinting towards the goblins by the time they've finished their song.

Action: run to J12, drawing katana en route

ProudGrognard
2013-10-20, 02:04 AM
Velisarius

Velisarius had finished his food and was watching happily the proceedings. There were some strange people in the crowd, armed like him. Probably to be expected in such a festival. Velisarius stands up, out of respect for the holy rite.

And then, the scream. Velisarius' smile freezes in his face as his brain registers the wrongness.

What? Where? How?

And then he sees the goblins. He had seen them from afar, but never like this, wielding weapons. The dark cloud that has been hovering over his soul suddenly solidifies.

This is the holy moment of his faith. The moment before righteous battle.

Ragathiel, cast your eyes on us. May your wings shield us. I will fight as you fight.

His hands already moving, Velisarius starts running towards the goblins.

As they are quite far away, I think V needs a full round to get there. In any case, where he gets there, charge attack with Destructive Smite
Atk [roll0] dmg [roll1]
EDIT :And add 1 to both from the bard song

dancrilis
2013-10-20, 04:19 AM
Anafa

As she heard the sounds and singing she had a sudden dread - while she had spoken to the odd goblin in her time, it was rare - and the impression of the race was not positive.

Now they were here on a raiding party and would certainly target the children as easy prey - and the townsfolk in general.

Readying her sling staff she began a song of courage.

"They're horrid and mean, and small, and green. But they will fall quick to sword stone or stick ... " it went on almost randomly from there, rhythms of word recognition filtering through - but ultimately it was to allow those that had not faced a goblin before to take heart rather than be struck in the back.

She should be ready for combat now.
Everyone against the goblins should have +1 to hit and +1 damage.

Tris
2013-10-20, 12:23 PM
Tanar

Tanar waits for the priest to speak with interest, but that will have to wait as the goblins come and disrupt the event. Immediately, Tanar communicates the idea of danger to his familiar, Lena. Lena had wanted to stay away from the noisy crowds of the festival.

When the goblins show themselves, Terdan runs towards them, shouting an arcane phrase. He points at one of the goblins and a bolt of magical energy bursts out of his finger, blasting the goblin in the chest.

Move to S12
Hit goblin 2 with magical missile
Damage: [roll0]

MandibleBones
2013-10-28, 03:17 PM
Tanar's mystical ball of force strikes his target full in the chest, leaving a scorched wound visible through the goblin's crude leather armor. Meanwhile, Velisarius' charge utterly overwhelms another goblin, taking it from a cackling threat to a motionless corpse in one strike.

Rook, just shy of catching up, finds himself facing the remaining uninjured goblin, who leaps at him with a snarl and a slash. The blade doesn't look like much, but it certainly stings -- something Velisarius likewise finds out, as the goblin Tanar's magic missile struck swings at him out of desperation.

http://i.imgur.com/kAwRmwJ.jpg

Goblin 1 is dead. Goblin 2 is injured. Goblin 3 hits Rook for 2 damage. Goblin 2 hits Velisarius for 5 damage. Round resets.

dancrilis
2013-10-28, 04:48 PM
Anafa
In some ways it was a shame the goblin had to die, but such was the way of the world - stories needed villains and the green folk were in that role today, they choose it themselves.

Hoping that if her music could be heard anywhere else fighting was occurring to hearten the defenders she continued as she took careful aim at the uninjured goblin - if she could knock him out they could question him.

Move action: Continue Singing

Attack with Sling Staff (below accounts for the shooting into melee).
Standard action: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Bhaakon
2013-10-28, 05:05 PM
Unused to such a...suicidal fighting style, Rook badly misjudges the parry. He pays for it as the goblin's filthy blade digs a bloody furrow in his thigh. This isn't practice, fool, he chastises himself. Not everything is smart enough to care if it catches a sword in the gut while killing you.

Fortunately, the goblin's reckless tactics also make for more openings. Rook draws sparingly on his arcane power to lend his sword some extra bite as it streaks for the goblin's neck.

Swift action for Arcane Strike (+1 damage)

[roll0]
[roll1] wielding 2-handed + arcane strike

Tris
2013-10-28, 07:51 PM
Determined to bring it down, Tanar targets the same goblin. Another blast of magical energy bursts from his fingertip and unerringly strikes the goblin.
Damage: [roll0]

ProudGrognard
2013-10-29, 06:13 AM
Velisarius

The reckless charge into the fray finds Velisarius literally running into an erratic goblin swing. Velisarius lets out a roar in pain and anger and brings his own sword towards the skull of the closest opponent. He does not deign to call upon his Lord 's aid. Not yet.

[roll0] dmg [roll1]

MandibleBones
2013-11-02, 04:31 PM
The combination of might and magic is too much for the goblins, who are quite dead before they realize they're fighting a superior foe. Velisarius' swing cleaves the head from one of them, while Tanar's missile ends the last.

Sadly, it seems the fracas is not over yet, as after just a moment's rest, a cart to the northeast bursts into flames. Several goblins waving torches and cheering maniacally dance around it to the same twisted tune as before.

http://i.imgur.com/xzL2qZR.jpg

Bhaakon
2013-11-02, 04:41 PM
Rook clacks his beak in frustration. How many goblins are there? And how did they get into the middle of town? The questions would have to wiat, though. There was some work to do first.

double move to R6

dancrilis
2013-11-02, 06:35 PM
Anafa

Letting her song lapse as she reloaded her stick and moved to the far side of the nearby tent for cover - and as it was likely that more goblins were within it if anyone sought cover there she might be able to protect them.

Moving to X17.
Reloading the sling staff.

Tris
2013-11-02, 06:49 PM
Tanar

What? More of them?

Tanar approaches the new group of goblins. This time, he launches a small orb of acid at them.
Move to 11W

Acid Orb on goblin 1
Touch attack:[roll0]

ProudGrognard
2013-11-03, 03:55 AM
Velisarius

Velisarius takes a moment to open his soul to the fire of Agathiel. The healing light washes over him, closing his wounds.

Channel for [roll0]

He then hears the new screeches.

This is not a skirmish, this is an invasion!

Somehow needlessly, he shouts

There! More of them!

He then starts to run towards the new threat

I think it will take V this move action and the whole of the next round to reach Goblins 1

MandibleBones
2013-11-03, 12:19 PM
Tanar's orb goes wide, but it does draw the goblin's attention. Two of them approach him, swinging torches, and the other waves his in Rook's face. The last goblin, who is clearly the one singing, climbs up the cathedral's steps to keep everyone in view.

http://i.imgur.com/yBVbqUW.jpg

Tanar and Rook each take 1 fire damage from the torches; the second torch swinging at Tanar missed. As a note, these Goblins are going on effectively the same initiative as the previous goblins. Round resets!

Bhaakon
2013-11-03, 01:21 PM
Rook spots the goblins swarming Tanar out of the corner of his eye, but has his hands full. I hope he can handle himself in a melee.

Katana attack!

[roll0]
[roll1]

If it dies, move action to Q3

if it's still alive, bite attack!

[roll2]
[roll3]

dancrilis
2013-11-03, 01:54 PM
Anafa

There was a temptation to go after the one that was singing - but that would leave the mad in front of her facing two of the things alone.

Instead she let loose with the the loaded stone at the goblin in front of her and loaded another.

Standard Action:
Attack Goblin 2: [roll0]
Crit confirmation: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3]
I have accounted for the -4 for the goblin being in combat.

Move Action: Reload

Tris
2013-11-03, 02:31 PM
Tanar

Great. They had to go for me?

Tanar strikes at one of the goblins now facing him with his staff.
Goblin 2
To hit: [roll0]
Confirm: [roll2]

MandibleBones
2013-11-03, 04:56 PM
Tanar's strike hits the goblin next to him, who seems to realize that no one is playing games anymore. Sadly, Anafa's shot misses him, or he might have been finished off — like, say, the Goblin Rook briefly faced.

The singer, now faced with feathered death, ducks back under the cathedral's overhang and makes a complicated motion with her hands, weaving a dischordant sound into her song. It seems ludicrous to Rook, who, in the face of such absurdity, suddenly feels like bursting into laughter.

Meanwhile, the living goblins strike back at the defenders — the goblin Tanar struck lashes out with his dogslicer, though he misses, and the other, not yet grasping the severity of his predicament, burns Velisarius.

In the distance, around the side of the cathedral, everyone hears more goblin yelling, a loudly-screaming human, and a panicked dog.

http://i.imgur.com/C40Cp5K.jpg

Velisarius takes 1 fire damage. Rook needs to make a DC12 will save or be affected by hideous laughter (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/h/hideous-laughter). Round resets.

dancrilis
2013-11-03, 05:24 PM
Anafa

Seeing that the others had everything in hand - in fact they likely had everything in hand with or without her, she moved off.

She wanted to investigate the scream, but could not risk running past the goblins.

She instead moved to the far end of the carriage and tried to get the singer.

Move to T15.
Attack the Singer: [roll0]

Bhaakon
2013-11-03, 05:28 PM
Rook easily stifles the urge to break out in laughter. The only thing funny about this situation was that the goblin thought it could catch him in its amateurish enchantment. He cracks a smile (or the avian equivalent) as his sword goes to work. Actually, that is pretty funny.

5 ft step to close to distance and full attack

katana:
[roll0]
[roll1] (forgot the two-handed bonus damage last time)

Edit: crit confirm: 22, bonus damage: 10

bite:
[roll2]
[roll3]

Tris
2013-11-03, 05:40 PM
Tanar swings at the same goblin once more and then, backs away to safety.
Attacking Goblin 2
To hit: [roll0]

5ft. step to V12

ProudGrognard
2013-11-04, 03:41 AM
Velisarius

Velisarius is now right next to the goblin. Once more, a freak chance makes him hurt. Bristling, he brings his sword down with all his fury at the goblin.

[roll0] dmg [roll1]

I have an AC of 19 and already I have been hit twice!

MandibleBones
2013-11-07, 03:43 PM
Velisarius kills the goblin in front of him, while Tanar's staff is barely turned aside off leather armor. As Anafa's rock bounces off the singer's head, Rook's blade cuts deeply, killing it. The sight of its leader dying, plus the continued threat from Tanar, causes the remaining goblin to flee...

Just in time for the source of the earlier noise to become apparent. A finely-dressed human comes screaming from behind the cathedral, as if all the hounds of hell were behind him — though really, it's just the one "dog," a rodent-like thing that might be plague-ridden, and three more goblins.

http://i.imgur.com/CpnJQGk.jpg

Last wave, I promise.

dancrilis
2013-11-07, 04:08 PM
Anafa

She was torn between the woman and the fleeing goblin, the woman was in immediate danger, but others knew about the woman where a lone goblin could still kill a few people.

She choose to move after the goblin, gripping he staff as a club as she did, being cautious behind him she decided to taunt him in his own language - hopefully that would keep him here - and that she would be able to handle him, "Goblins run then goblins crawl, Goblins done then goblins cry" to the same tune as the singer was doing earlier.

Move action: Move to X17
Standard Action: Ready an attack against the goblin in Z17.
Attack: [roll0]
Crit: [roll2]

OOC: Pretty sure the terrain blocks a charge for me.
Not sure what to roll for a taunt, so will use perform.
Preform: [roll4]

Bhaakon
2013-11-07, 05:52 PM
Rook

"Over here, you stinking rodent!" Shouts Rook as he sprints towards the diseased creature and its goblin masters, waving his sword arm to draw its attention. "I've a treat for you!" his off-hand reaches into a pouch at his belt, drawing out a small vial of rainbow-colored sand.

Double move to F2

Tris
2013-11-07, 09:09 PM
Tanar

Oh, there's even more!

Tanar approaches these new foes. "Hey! Leave that man alone!" he shouts as he sends a bolt of energy at the giant rodent.
Move to R6.
Magic Missile Damage: [roll0]

ProudGrognard
2013-11-08, 04:58 AM
Velisarius

V takes stock of the situation and decides that the northern front needs more strength. He starts running, again, and shouting,

"Behind me! Run behind me!"

At the same movement, he readies his sword for impact.

Move towards the melee, so that he collides with the pursuit. The plan is that he will intercept while the hunted man will run past him. When he does, he will attack.

Atk [roll0] dmg [roll1]

Not much luck for V, these days...

MandibleBones
2013-11-11, 03:42 PM
Anafa's taunt only seems to demoralize the goblin more, as it proves her song true: as it continues to stumble and run away from the town as fast as its stubby legs will carry it, it begins to bawl piteously.

Rook's charge does draw the attention of the goblins, two of whom close in to attack him. Fortunately, only one hits lightly with her dogslicer. The rat-dog-thing looks like it wants to attack the tengu as well, before Tanar's magic missile slams into its face and it abruptly chooses him as a target instead. Thankfully for him, it can't quite get the angle for a charge.

The third goblin continues chasing the soft-looking nobleman, who makes a break for Velisarius to hide behind the armored man.

http://i.imgur.com/HwwZDBG.jpg
Rook takes 2 damage from the dogslicer, and gets an attack of opportunity against the rat-dog-thing.

ProudGrognard
2013-11-11, 04:16 PM
Velisarius

... seeing that the nobleman is behind him and that the valiant tenku is engaging two opponents at one, hurries to the lone goblin. With a shout of

"Ragathiel!"

he charges the goblin. The shout of his Lord energizes him and his blade flushed with the fires of Heaven for a brief second.

Charge [roll0] dmg [roll1], due to Destructive Smite.

EDIT: Ragathiel is obviously in a bad mood.

dancrilis
2013-11-11, 05:24 PM
Anafa

Reloading the sling staff she took a shot at the goblin, hoping to peg him before he was out of range - but even if he was keeping him running was good for the town.

Move Action: Reload
Standard Action Attack: [roll0]

Not sure if the goblin is out of combat fully be have to try.

Bhaakon
2013-11-12, 09:27 PM
Rook

The tengu backs up a step and pops the stopped from the vial of dyed sand. He'd hoped to catch all of them, but two would have have to do.

He completes the casting with a flourish of his katana, the blade tossing off a wave of psychedelic splendor in it's wake. The dazzling riot of color crashes over the two goblins, hopefully with the desired result of overwhelming their senses to the point of catatonia.

5ft step to G2, color spray over (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/c/color-spray) the two goblins, DC 14 Will save

Tris
2013-11-12, 09:43 PM
Tanar

Once more, the sorcerer is forced into melee combat. He swings his staff at rotting rodent.
Hit: [roll0]
Critical: [roll3]

MandibleBones
2013-11-15, 04:42 PM
Rook's well-timed color spray engulfs both goblins, and when it clears, they are sleeping like tiny, angry babies. The same cannot be said for Velisarius' opponent (except the tiny part — and the angry part), who dodges swiftly out of the way of the oncoming assault and strikes back at the armored man with a poorly-aimed slash of its dogslicer. Likewise, the goblin dog proves too hardy for Tanar to overcome, though it returns the favor with a painful bite. Finally, Anafa's shot strikes the fleeing goblin in the back of the head, driving it to its kneeds in tears. "Why? Why do gods to this to poor Ikthya!?" it moans in Goblin, as it starts crawling toward the edge of town.

http://i.imgur.com/qSSptWG.jpg

Tanar takes 4 damage and needs to make a DC12 fort save.

ProudGrognard
2013-11-15, 05:02 PM
Velisarius

His swing badly timed, Velisarius is once more denied success. The second time, he approaches more cautiously. He feints with his shield and the attacks again, his sword blazing with an inner light for a bit.

Not sure when my turn is coming up, so posting now

[roll0] dmg [roll1] with smite

EDIT: Not sure it is worth rolling the crit roll

Bhaakon
2013-11-15, 05:59 PM
Rook

Confident that his spell will remain in effect long enough to deal with the goblin dog. He sprints between tent and pediment, pulling up behind the pustulent creature.

"Strike, friend Tanar! I'll distract it." He shouts, more to draw the mangey rodent's attention than the half-elf's.

Double move to P5

dancrilis
2013-11-15, 06:09 PM
Anafa

Charging up behind the downed goblin she attempted to knock it out with the butt of her staff. Maybe they could get some answers from him.

Charge and Attack*: [roll0]
+2 charging (prone and nonlethal damage should balance out).
Crit Confirmation: [roll2]
Damage is nonlethal.

Tris
2013-11-15, 08:13 PM
Tanar

Greatly weakened by the goblin dog, Tanar is happy to see Rook come to his aid. "Thank you!" he shouts at the tengu as he backs away. Then, he summons up enough energy to blast the diseased beast with one last blast of arcane energy.

5ft. step to R8.

Magic Missile for [roll0] damage.

MandibleBones
2013-11-19, 05:06 PM
Rook's distraction proves well-timed; it gives Tanar a moment to escape and blast it in the face with magic. Meanwhile, Velisarius cleaves the goblin's head off like its neck isn't even there, and Anafa drives her opponent into unconsciousness.

The goblins' strange dog thing wheels around and bites Rook with strangely itchy teeth.

http://i.imgur.com/GE95XNm.jpg

Rook takes 6 damage and needs to make a DC12 Fort Save.

dancrilis
2013-11-19, 07:59 PM
Anafa

Hitting the goblin a few more thing to me sure it was out, she began dragging it back to where the others were.

ProudGrognard
2013-11-20, 02:29 AM
Velisarius

Seeing that only one opponent is left, Velisarius moves against him. As he moves, he takes stock of the other defenders.

"We should rally!"

Bhaakon
2013-11-20, 03:06 AM
Rook

"YEEEOOOW!" Squawks rook--I mean literally squawks--as the rat-dog-thing clamps down on his drumstick.

A squawk! Unbelievable! How embarrassing! You're just lucky tengu can't blush. He chides himself as he retreats a half-step, just enough to gather himself on his uninjured leg for another slash.

Fort save: [roll0]

attack: [roll1]
damage: [roll2] w/arcane strike

Tris
2013-11-20, 03:26 AM
Tanar

"Is that the last of them?" Tanar says when the beast finally collapses. He glances around to see if any more enemies are lurking.
I am assuming that attack kills it. If not,
Acid Splash
Touch Attack: [roll0]

ProudGrognard
2013-11-20, 03:57 AM
Velisarius

Also assuming that the attack kills it.

"Yes, I think that this is the last of them here. But that seemed more like an attack force than a raiding party. There must be more around."

Perception [roll0]

He then smiles, remembering his manners, even in this hour.

"I am Velisarius, a Cleric of Ragathiel. If you are hurt, I can help you. I think we have become the defense force. We should stack the bodies here, so that we can later search them. Are you up for more goblin hunting?"

One or two channels, if necessary
[roll1]
[roll2]

Bhaakon
2013-11-20, 04:20 AM
I, too, assume that last attack did the job.

"No, it's not the last of them." Rook spits out as the Velisarius's divine energies wash over him and close the bite wounds and the ragged dogslicer slash. "There are two more still passed out--I hope--over there."

"Ah, much better." He exclaims, stretching out his newly healed leg and begins walking towards the magicked goblin. "Thank you, good...er sir? Brother? Father? Vicar? Lieutenant? I'm unsure of the appropriate appellation for a clergyman of the General of Vengeance."

"But I'm ahead of myself, as usual. My name is Rook, just Rook. Originally of Karlsgard, late of Magnimar. Now how about a hand tying these two up?" He produces a length of stout cord and begins trussing the pair of goblins like roasting hens.

ProudGrognard
2013-11-20, 05:08 AM
Velisarius

Velisarius reaches inside him to the Fires of Heaven that burn in the center of his faith. A spiritual fire rages for a moment around him, as wounds bind themselves and close. He sights with satisfaction and smiles.

"You are well versed in the divine, Nook. And Velisarius will do nicely. I must say, you broke most of the attack on your own. I admire that. I fear your skill will be needed again today."

Velisarius starts tying the goblins and searching the others. He also takes a moment to see where the well dressed man that was running from the goblins went.

Bhaakon
2013-11-20, 05:31 AM
"Haha, yes, well, I'm afraid that my of-fencing was somewhat more impressive than my de-fencing." He mutters, still a bit perturbed about being wounded by a gibbering goblin and its rabid mount. That kind of performance in a practice bout against his old blademaster would have ended with Rook crawling to the nearest temple of Sarenrae.

"Another battle like that and I'll be in need of your skills again this day. And I fear there will be a line." He adds the last part when he looks up from the work of securing the goblins to survey the wrecked plaza.

MandibleBones
2013-11-21, 03:08 PM
Rook's attack did indeed kill the goblin dog, and while the two remaining goblins need to be tied up, such is easily accomplished while unconscious. Anafa, as well, has captured a goblin.

It seems this was the focal point of the goblin raid, as the rest of the town seems very quiet. Slowly, but surely, people begin to come out of their homes and businesses.

The nobleman comes over to you, thanking you profusely for saving his life. He introduces himself as "Aldrin Foxglove, a gentleman of leisure, mostly, though I do have some business interests here and in Magnimar that keep me occupied. But some other day, we should all venture out hunting together! There are some marvelous boars in the Tickwood; they're much more my speed than nasty goblins."

ProudGrognard
2013-11-21, 04:06 PM
Velisarius

Velisarius is not at ease with noblemen and it shows. He only nods courteously at the nobleman 's strange proposition and let's the others take the lead.

When they are again alone he says

"I think we should do a search of the town. Goblins I hear can be sneaky. What do you say? And what are your names, apart from Nook here? I like to know those with whom I fight!"

Tris
2013-11-21, 07:30 PM
"I'm not the type to go hunting" Tanar says in reply to Aldrin's offer. "But thank you for the offer." Tanar smiles with sincerity.

To Velisarius he says, "My name is Tanar. Tanar Aerdoth. We should also do something about those unconscious goblins over there." He points.

He also mentally calls to his cat, Lena, now that the battle's over.

dancrilis
2013-11-22, 02:17 AM
Anafa

Returning to the scene where the others were, she was a bit sheepish about joining them - they had after all just fought together and saved a man, but shrugging the got over it.

"Hi all, I captured this one - if we can tie them up and wake them, we should be able to question them, maybe find out what they wanted" she offered.

ProudGrognard
2013-11-22, 02:24 AM
Velisarius

Velisarius, after tying the rest of the goblins and searching their bodies, sits up and stretches.

"Yes, they must be interrogated. But I still think that for now, we must find the guards, deliver these prisoners and coordinate with them, to make a round around the city. There may be more hiding."

At least that is what I propose. And let's see if there was any loot.

MandibleBones
2013-11-22, 01:35 PM
Most of the goblins, living and dead, have very little on them. Their weapons are crude, lashed together bits of scrap metal and leather, sharpened to razors, but not worth much. Their leather armor, perhaps, might be worth something if one could ever get the smell off.

One of the goblins — the one who continued following Aldren, and whom Velisarius so handily dispatched — looks to be better outfitted than the others. Her armor — though it will need a thorough cleaning still — does not smell half as bad, and looks to be of exceptional craftsmanship, though it is small. Likewise, her polearm looks as though she actually stole it from someone rather than crafting it herself: it, too, appears to be masterwork. Finally, she carries a potion of brilliant blue, which seems totally at odds with her appearance.

Aldren, after learning your names, takes this time to head off, looking nervously over his shoulder for more goblins. "I'll send over one of Hemlock's boys to take these off your hands," he says, gesturing at the captured goblins. "Come see me when this has all calmed down. I'm staying at the Rusty Dragon, and I'd love to reward you all properly for your heroics."

ProudGrognard
2013-11-23, 02:32 AM
Velisarius

Velisarius looks at the potion, saying a small prayer of discernment. He turns to the others,

"This is a potent healing potion. Perhaps someone else should take it."

Bhaakon
2013-11-23, 03:41 AM
His impulse to grab something shiny and magical momentarily overruling good manner, Rook accepts the potion. "Oh, potent healing magic? Let me have a look. I'm always interested in cross-disciplinary study, especially on items that are so very useful." He swirls the iridescent blue potion in its vial like a wealthy drunkard...that is, an oenologist analyzing a fine vintage.

Finally, some point after his almost hypnotic fascination has become a bit embarrassing, he tears his eyes away and stashes the healing draught. "Where to now, then? I don't see or hear any more goblins, but no guards, either. I suggest that we pace out the town wall and see where they got in. Perhaps we'll catch some stragglers."

Tris
2013-11-23, 04:04 AM
Tanar clasps his hands together. "So it's agreed? We search the town?" he asks his temporary companions. "We can't let any of these despicable goblins start anymore trouble!" he cheerfully exclaims.

At this moment, a cat approaches the group. "Oh. This is my familiar, Lena." He crouches down for Lena to jump onto his shoulder.

Bhaakon
2013-11-23, 04:15 AM
Rook does his best not to narrow his eyes or reach for the pommel of his sword as the damnable cat appears as if from nowhere. Feline-avian relations were always tenuous, even with the odds so obviously stacked in the tengu's favor. Oh, sure, they could be cute, and playful, and fluffy when attempting extract shelter and sustenance from an ignorant humanoid, but Rook knew the truth. They were merciless killers, all of them. Ruthless and bloodthirsty, patiently waiting for an ill-favored magical curse to turn their masters bite-sized.

"Yes... on our way then." He keeps a wary eye on the treacherous beast as they set off.

dancrilis
2013-11-24, 10:01 PM
Anafa

"Alive now" she said to the noble "we have questions for them" she beamed at him.

"Yes we can search ..." as the cat appeared she moved to it "Kitty!" as it approached and began scratching it behind the ears and on the belly - almost before the animal could react "I'm going to call you ... Patches", the cat got away from her to move to it's owner.

"Hmm yes searching - should probably check the school, Goblins like weak prey and if the kids hid there it would be ideal for them to collect some" she said almost thoughtfully.

MandibleBones
2013-11-27, 09:06 PM
As you leave the square, the older gentleman who you saw giving the safety briefing earlier runs up from the direction in which Aldren Foxglove left. He introduces himself as Belor Hemlock, the sheriff, and it looks like he, too, just finished combat with some goblins. Two armed guards trail behind him.

"You've captured some!"he notes. "Best news I've had yet. Jala, Hakeman, make sure you check the school," he pauses to direct his guards off on that errand, before turning back to the party. "Have they said anything? Aldren said you rescued him, but the rest of my guards haven't caught any goblins, just dead ones."

ProudGrognard
2013-11-28, 04:29 AM
Velisarius

"We do have some prisoners here, yes. But I would suggest that a sweep is done through the town. Goblins are small, they can hide easily.

Do you have problems with goblin attacks?"

Also, is there anything else to loot?

dancrilis
2013-11-28, 11:43 PM
Anafa

She looked up at the new human - her face a mixture of innocence and mocking "well they didn't say anything after then passed out sir, but that would be unusual" what did the man expect.

"Before hand - they same a song about eating, but it seemed more general than laced with hidden meanings. Ohh ... I could translate it for you?" she offered.

"Another one blamed the gods for his misfortune - but who doesn't at times" she added.

Bhaakon
2013-11-29, 12:03 AM
Rook

"There was that awful song. I don't know the words--not much scholastic value in learning that language--but it certainly wasn't in tune." The tengu answers.

"We can help you haul them off to the gaol, or town hall, or wherever you keep your prisoners. We'll keep an eyes out for more of their ilk on the way."

MandibleBones
2013-11-30, 03:15 PM
Hemlock shrugs. "There's always been the danger of goblins outside the city, but this is the first time they've actually gotten in. Usually they can't get through the gates. I'm definitely wanting to know how we got in, but unfortunately, none of us speak Goblin."

He nods at Anafa. "Yeah, they were singing it over our direction as well. Couldn't make out the words, obviously, but your tengu friend here is right about the so-called 'tune'."

"I would absolutely appreciate the help hauling them to jail," he adds, turning to Rook. "We'll have a few questions for them, and I doubt they speak Varasian all that well."

dancrilis
2013-12-02, 03:34 AM
Anafa

Nodding enthusiastically "lead on ... hmm" she paused any chance of recognition for this? she thought to herself she wasn't overly interested in coin - but there were other benefits that might be possible. Still she didn't ask directly.

ProudGrognard
2013-12-02, 03:41 AM
Velisarius

V. smooths his beard as he speaks.

"My help is yours, at least. But has anyone checked the gate?"

Are they doing the sweep or not?Confused a bit.

Tris
2013-12-02, 04:02 AM
Tanar

"I will help in any way needed." Tanar tells the sheriff. "I am in no hurry, I won't be leaving until tomorrow."

Bhaakon
2013-12-02, 04:43 AM
Rook

"Let's get them to the jail, then," Rook unsheathes his sword and begins prodding the captives to their feet, an effective means of communication in any language. "Lead the way, Sheriff."

MandibleBones
2013-12-05, 04:11 PM
"Recognition?" Sheriff Hemlock muses. "If I know Aldren, half the town already knows your name, and your heroics." He leads the way to a small jail, kept rather clean. It's empty today: even the drunks he usually incarcerates to sleep it off were out in honor of the Swallowtail Festival. That quickly changes: three cells are soon filled with three goblins.

A young deputy hands him a bag, after whispering something in his ear. The sheriff hands it to Velisarius.

"Aldren left this, apparently to cover you fours' bar tab in thanks," he says. "Though I suspect it is not the end of your reward for saving his life." He turns to Anafa. "Any chance you can help us with interrogation? My goblin's not very good, and I really should go help my men with a sweep of the town. Clant here—" he gestures to the deputy "—will supervise and make sure the law's upheld."

In the bag is 200gp, clearly meant to be split four ways.

dancrilis
2013-12-07, 12:59 PM
Anafa

Was the mind a mind reader, she had just been thinking about recognition when he brought it up - good she liked someone that could appreciate the nature of people.

"Sure happy to help the law" never hurt to have friends in case problems started happening "lead on mister Clant ... any laws I need to know about?" she asked hopefully nothing weird.

ProudGrognard
2013-12-07, 01:15 PM
Velisarius

"This is mighty generous of him. I will be sure to thank him."

Seeing that the sheriff is not inclined to consider his proposition of doing a search of the town, Velisarius goes with it.

"I will be glad to help with the interrogation. I am a pretty good judge of character."

Tris
2013-12-07, 01:19 PM
"I can't speak goblin, but is there any way I can help?" Tanar asks the sheriff.

MandibleBones
2013-12-07, 07:17 PM
"Well, you can't kill him, and I'd prefer you didn't torture him," Clant says, glaring at the goblin. "But I don't every time get what I want." He pauses. "Mister, if you want to suggest questions, I'd be fine with it."

Bhaakon
2013-12-11, 06:23 PM
"I'm mostly interested in how they got in, myself. The guard might be a bit taxed on a festival day like this, but I doubt any of your men let a horde of goblins shamble through the gate unchallenged."

MandibleBones
2013-12-12, 03:04 PM
"Shows what you longshanks know!" the nearest goblin says, in heavily-accented common Varasian. "Was one of you longshanks who let us in! Hah!"

ProudGrognard
2013-12-12, 03:14 PM
Velisarius

Velisarius scowls when he hears the goblin speak. He approaches the goblin almost menacingly.

"Now that is a serious thing to say. Keep talking and you might save your life."

MandibleBones
2013-12-12, 03:30 PM
"All I know. Here to make trouble, burn things. Love the fire. Hate the dogs. Was plan. One of you longshanks let us in. Tall. Wore a shirt. Had hair."

Tris
2013-12-12, 04:03 PM
Tanar frowns. "That's not very descriptive. Would you recognize him if you saw him? Or maybe, you could give more details in Goblin?"

MandibleBones
2013-12-12, 06:04 PM
In goblin, he replies. <"Yeah, he was about human sized, and I'm pretty sure he had... hair? Like humans do? Well, it was a human guy, at least. Those are the ones with the hair, right? Um, he was wearing, um... a shirt? Like, I think it was blue. Or brown. It was one of those colors that was like a gecko lizard. And um, he had ears. That's distinguishing, right?">

Bhaakon
2013-12-15, 04:35 AM
Rooks looks to Anafa once the goblin is done prattling. "Please tell me he has something better than 'That guy with the shirt and the hair.'" Though at least that excludes me.

He's not hopeful.