PDA

View Full Version : Technically evil clerics of neutral deities?

MonkeySage
2013-10-10, 08:19 PM
Specifically in this case, i wish to incorporate a temple of evening glory, headed by a vampiric priestess and her husband. Technically these two are evil, by virtue of being unholy abominations; in practice they don't really behave as such. Since evening glory is neutral, i'm wondering if this would actually work? At the moment the only two non evil forms of undead i can think of are both different types of lich... Necropolitan might work, but doesn't really fit with my setting.

(I wish to mess with my players in this manner :) )

OldTrees1
2013-10-10, 08:48 PM
1)

Technically these two are evil, by virtue of being unholy abominations

Technically false.
The term "always evil" means 99% evil in D&D. Yes LG Demons are valid by RAW.

2)NE cleric of N god?
Yes clerics can be 1 step away from their deity.

ArcturusV
2013-10-10, 08:55 PM
Not really messing with them. Perfectly valid. Unless you have some setting specific overriding rule which states that your clerics must be dead on accurate to their God's alignment.

Old Trees has the right of it there.

Random side note: If you wanted, you could have them be "Priests", not Clerics, still divine characters, who are of a wildly different alignment, and yes, that would work.

e.g.: My Half-Orc Paladin who worshiped and preached the word of Gruumsh. Which was totally legit and actually worked out.

Which can be more of a mind screw when you get to it. Have a Lawful Evil Vampiric Favored Soul who works as a Priest of this neutral god, for example.

Red Fel
2013-10-11, 06:33 AM
It's not at all uncommon.

Wee Jas' (LN) description acknowledges that her portfolio makes her popular both with death cults (LE) and sacred tomb guards (LG). As Oldtrees states, you just have to be within one alignment step.

Kesnit
2013-10-11, 06:39 AM
1)The term "always evil" means 99% evil in D&D. Yes LG Demons are valid by RAW.

I'm going to repeat this. There's even a Succubus Paladin in Book of Exalted Deeds. (I think it's that book...)

If you really want to mess with your players, take this route. The undead in this case aren't Evil; they really are Neutral.

Karnith
2013-10-11, 06:43 AM
I'm going to repeat this. There's even a Succubus Paladin in Book of Exalted Deeds. (I think it's that book...)
She's in a Fight Club article (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fc/20050824a), actually.

Taveena
2013-10-11, 06:47 AM
Exalted Deeds has the LG Mind Flayer Monk, though. (Not relevant, but trivia!)

Andvare
2013-10-11, 06:48 AM
"Not any more'n Belkar, I'd wager" (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0908.html)